LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9130Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4741 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 10:32 AM
10k
AVS Forum Special Member
 
10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,179
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
at what gray %...?
There's maybe 1/4" on the left at 1%, maybe 2" on right at 1%. 5" is clean enough.
10k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4742 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
I've "calibrated" many ways and it makes a difference. 2.2 (maybe) for day, 2.4 for nite, 2.4 with ONLY the 2p Gains control used at 100% and NO gamma calibration for 3D LUT profiling - etc etc etc. Like I said, the 1886 preset is not implemented properly. If you're losing shadow detail, select the 2.4 preset and use the 20p controls to created an 1886 shaped curve at the bottom end.
I understand what you're saying...but my question was more about the mechanics of actually calibrating gamma. I do not get consistent enough luminance readings to feel like I can accurately calibrate gamma. See this post in the calibration forum.

You would help me keep my sanity if you could reproduce my results. At the very least, throw up a 100% white windowed pattern (15% window) and measure continuously for 1 minute. Doe the luminance steadily rise over that minute or does it hold steady?

This is effectively what happens to luminance on my set over a course of 10 minutes of 100% white slides being shown:



I currently have my set's gamma preset at 2.4. However, I'm fairly certain that if I tried to actually calibrate the gamma curve, I would would not get consistent / reproducible results...as luminance can vary (see chart) depending on what content I have been displaying recently.

Last edited by JoeyBagadonuts; 10-20-2015 at 11:17 AM.
JoeyBagadonuts is offline  
post #4743 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alexanderg823's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,878
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
There's maybe 1/4" on the left at 1%, maybe 2" on right at 1%. 5" is clean enough.
that's not bad at all.


that might clear up after running for a couple hundred hours. My 2% had roughly 2 inches on either side and now it's basically clean, just slight faint "tiger stripes" or "flames".


The 1% has improved as well I believe, but still looks terrible - Too faint to capture pictures with my camera.
alexanderg823 is online now  
 
post #4744 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
Yep, 4th 65". first had bad vignette, 2nd committed suicide, 3rd bad vignette and yellow band on left. This one no vignette on left, acceptable on right, yellow band on right....
Wait, how did you get a 508?? Not even a 509? Clearly you are going to exchange it, right? I mean at this point why not? You should request a 510...even if it means waiting. This is exactly what I'm afraid of if I switch mine.
atabibza is offline  
post #4745 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 10:37 AM
10k
AVS Forum Special Member
 
10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,179
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabibza View Post
Wait, how did you get a 508?? Not even a 509? Clearly you are going to exchange it, right? I mean at this point why not? You should request a 510...even if it means waiting. This is exactly what I'm afraid of if I switch mine.
Luck of the draw? I dont know??? I can't decide whether to call Amazon or LG at this point. I already gave the free 49" to a friend so a refund is out of the question.
10k is offline  
post #4746 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
2Channel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
BAD information from LG. Just about all that is available is 2K. My EF communicates with BD player, cable box, HDMI switcher, HDMI splitter, eeColor Processor LUT box, and anything else I want to hook up to it.

Thanks, are you running 4.20.08, or different firmware?


Here's the latest. I assume LG has someone reading this thread to collect early feedback. My feedback is to improve their support. I'm fine with bleeding edge technology, but you have to be prepared to support it.


I called LG back on the way to work this morning. Initial hold is brief, I told the person in tier 1 support that I had called yesterday and that I was instructed to call back in the morning and ask for VIP support. I'm told to hold on for VIP support. After 5 minutes, someone picks up the call. I ask if I'm talking to VIP support, they tell me no, this is tier 1 support. I go through my story again and they tell me to hold on so they can transfer me to VIP support. After 3 minutes hold, someone picks up again and I ask if this is VIP support, no it's Executive support, but she works as a backup to VIP support.


I go through my story again. She doesn't know why this isn't working so she's going to conference in someone from VIP support. I'm now transferred to a new person as opposed to someone being conferenced in. I ask if this is VIP support, I'm told no, this is tier 2 support. I ask if she can transfer me to VIP support and she tells me she is a product specialist on this product. Ok, I go through my story again. Her conclusion is it must be an issue caused by the new firmware so she asks me to do a factory reset on the TV. I ask if this will revert the firmware back to the original 03.01.15 release it came with. She tells me no, it will just clear out the settings I configured. I ask how this will correct a firmware issue? She says it won't, but this is the last step they can take before sending someone on site to do repairs to the TV.


It looks like I'll be calling BB for an exchange soon.
2Channel is offline  
post #4747 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
New person alert. Its been awhile since I purchased a TV, and therefore a long time since I worried about display settings.


I have read this thread. Whew. I have a couple of settings questions.


I see the general recommendations at the beginning. Thanks for those. But there are a couple of variables I was hoping someone could clarify.


1) 24Hz vs 60Hz sources. It seems Tru-motion should be set differently for these?


2) Different OLED levels... night vs. day. It seems that contrast and brightness settings varies with OLED setting, when using the free tools on this site. (So you cant simply adjust OLED based on current conditions) So, is the proper way to run through the videos at each OLED setting you may use... maybe save one in expert 1 and one in expert2?


3) Gamma 2.2 vs 2.4. I used 2.4 and seems good, but not always. At night my room is very dark, but it is very light in the day. Should my day setting be based off of one while night off of another? Or should I stick with 2.4?


4) PS4 specific -- I thought I read that gamut<?> might be different for this source? I assume I need to set game mode when actually using games on this input for less lag, and yet another like expert 1 for using PS4 as Blue Ray player? And then again... another change when watching 3d?


Thanks again for your assistance. There seems to be some pretty smart display gurus here! There is a lot of information to sort through... but I'm very glad it available.


For those interested, my EF9500 does seem to have the black curtains... but it depends a lot on my settings that I can't seem to stop tinkering with.
DeResolution is offline  
post #4748 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Member
 
tigger1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just looking for your guys opinion before my return window closes. Haha

Seems pretty good to me, some vignetting but honestly I can't see it during any real content. I actually noticed it more when i first got it but now it seems to have smoothed out a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151020_134526.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1006577  
tigger1612 is offline  
post #4749 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Member
 
DavenLei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The OC
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post
Thanks, are you running 4.20.08, or different firmware?


Here's the latest. I assume LG has someone reading this thread to collect early feedback. My feedback is to improve their support. I'm fine with bleeding edge technology, but you have to be prepared to support it.


I called LG back on the way to work this morning. Initial hold is brief, I told the person in tier 1 support that I had called yesterday and that I was instructed to call back in the morning and ask for VIP support. I'm told to hold on for VIP support. After 5 minutes, someone picks up the call. I ask if I'm talking to VIP support, they tell me no, this is tier 1 support. I go through my story again and they tell me to hold on so they can transfer me to VIP support. After 3 minutes hold, someone picks up again and I ask if this is VIP support, no it's Executive support, but she works as a backup to VIP support.


I go through my story again. She doesn't know why this isn't working so she's going to conference in someone from VIP support. I'm now transferred to a new person as opposed to someone being conferenced in. I ask if this is VIP support, I'm told no, this is tier 2 support. I ask if she can transfer me to VIP support and she tells me she is a product specialist on this product. Ok, I go through my story again. Her conclusion is it must be an issue caused by the new firmware so she asks me to do a factory reset on the TV. I ask if this will revert the firmware back to the original 03.01.15 release it came with. She tells me no, it will just clear out the settings I configured. I ask how this will correct a firmware issue? She says it won't, but this is the last step they can take before sending someone on site to do repairs to the TV.


It looks like I'll be calling BB for an exchange soon.

You should have played the game and 'pretended' you did a factory reset and wait a bit and then say, "OK, it is done, what do you want me to do now?". I am a technical person so when I know people are just reading from a script or 'steps' manual and I know what they are asking will do absolutely nothing, I play the game to get what I want.
Blake2163 likes this.
DavenLei is offline  
post #4750 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
508 yellow band. zero vignette on left minor vignette on right. For some reason I have to set brightness at 58 on this one.

im exhausted dealing with this.
Wow sorry about that. Pic of the yellow band? As pronounced as before?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Wrath007 is offline  
post #4751 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1612 View Post
Just looking for your guys opinion before my return window closes. Haha

Seems pretty good to me, some vignetting but honestly I can't see it during any real content. I actually noticed it more when i first got it but now it seems to have smoothed out a bit.
I'd say that screen shot makes it look like a keeper, at least as far as lack of yellow-banding. If you go to the yellow-banding poll/thread, the lead post points to some screen shot of what the yellow banding defect looks like on a near-white screen shot like this - looks like you got a winner .

What is the build date?
fafrd is offline  
post #4752 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4530 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1612 View Post
Just looking for your guys opinion before my return window closes. Haha

Seems pretty good to me, some vignetting but honestly I can't see it during any real content. I actually noticed it more when i first got it but now it seems to have smoothed out a bit.
You better not return that one!!! lol
wxman is online now  
post #4753 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4530 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
I think we can conclude that the bulk of August builds are bad, and some of the September builds too.
wxman is online now  
post #4754 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Member
 
polefloat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post
That is a curved OLED. This is the LG OLED Flat Panel Owners thread.
Easy there cowboy. I realize this is LG Oled thread. I own a 65EF9500. Thought it would be worth showing that Panasonic can take the same exact panel and eliminate vignetting and uniformity issues.
polefloat is offline  
post #4755 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4530 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by polefloat View Post
Easy there cowboy. I realize this is LG Oled thread. I own a 65EF9500. Thought it would be worth showing that Panasonic can take the same exact panel and eliminate vignetting and uniformity issues.
It could be they just use LG panels, and add their own Tcon boards etc. I would bet Panasonic engineers are way ahead of LG when it comes to fine tuning these panels. Amazing that Panasonic can take the LG panel, and with motion on, can get 1080 lines of resolution, while LG is around 700. So we know the panel is capable, it's whether or not LG knows how to do that.

Last edited by wxman; 10-20-2015 at 11:25 AM.
wxman is online now  
post #4756 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,174
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post
Thanks, are you running 4.20.08, or different firmware?
Have others dared install .08 yet? My TV isn't picking it up yet as of last night. Dunno if I want to risk the USB update . Anything new with it?
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #4757 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 5,907
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
There is no truth to the Mexico plant. They have the same issue with the European version built in Poland.
So they are "assembled" in Mexico and Poland. Where are the panels manufactured?




Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBagadonuts View Post
I understand what you're saying...but my question was more about the mechanics of actually calibrating gamma. I do not get consistent enough luminance readings to feel like I can accurately calibrate gamma. See this post in the calibration forum.

You would help me keep my sanity if you could reproduce my results. At the very least, throw up a 100% white windowed pattern (15% window) and measure continuously for 1 minute. Doe the luminance steadily rise over that minute or does it hold steady?

I currently have my set's gamma preset at 2.4. However, I'm fairly certain that if I tried to actually calibrate the curve, I would would not get consistent / reproducible results...as luminance can vary depending on what content I have been displaying recently.
I'll probably have my equipment out over the weekend. Meanwhile, here's a couple thoughts for you.

First, here's the difference between the 2.4 and 1886 presets - 1886 on the bottom. Like I said, at least on my EF, it doesn't work.



Here's what is possible using standard windows patterns...



And finally, don't get anal over gamma. This pic is the EBU - TECH 3325 standard for STUDIO monitors, the ones movies and Blu-Ray discs are mastered on. Look at all the leeway they have. Bottom line - run Gamma at 2.4 and put a tail on the bottom end if you think you aren't seeing the detail "that the director intended". lololol







Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post
Thanks, are you running 4.20.08, or different firmware?
.08 The LG reps have no knowledge. Repeat that to yourself ten times. You might try a third HDMI cable (high speed) and see. Are you using one way cables like RedMeres by any chance?
fafrd likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator



 

Last edited by buzzard767; 10-20-2015 at 11:31 AM.
buzzard767 is offline  
post #4758 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Member
 
tigger1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I'd say that screen shot makes it look like a keeper, at least as far as lack of yellow-banding. If you go to the yellow-banding poll/thread, the lead post points to some screen shot of what the yellow banding defect looks like on a near-white screen shot like this - looks like you got a winner .

What is the build date?
Mine is a 509 September build from Mexico.
tigger1612 is offline  
post #4759 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
kclfoxtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1612 View Post
Just looking for your guys opinion before my return window closes. Haha

Seems pretty good to me, some vignetting but honestly I can't see it during any real content. I actually noticed it more when i first got it but now it seems to have smoothed out a bit.
The only issue I can see is that they put the screen on upside down.
ReD-BaRoN likes this.
kclfoxtrot is offline  
post #4760 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4530 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
So they are "assembled" in Mexico and Poland. Where are the panels manufactured?
South Korea, just miles from the DMZ.
wxman is online now  
post #4761 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Member
 
polefloat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
It could be they just use LG panels, and add their own Tcon boards etc. I would bet Panasonic engineers are way ahead of LG when it comes to fine tuning these panels. Amazing that Panasonic can take the LG panel, and with motion on, can get 1080 lines of resolution, while LG is around 700. So we know the panel is capable, it's whether or not LG knows how to do that.
I would agree. These issues may be due to what's driving the panel and have nothing to do with the panel itself. Of course that's pure speculation on my part.
polefloat is offline  
post #4762 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
I'll probably have my equipment out over the weekend. Meanwhile, here's a couple thoughts for you.
I would very much appreciate it if you could verify if you are seeing the "rising luminance" that I see.

Quote:
First, here's the difference between the 2.4 and 1886 presets - 1886 on the bottom. Like I said, at least on my EF, it doesn't work.
Just ignore any of my past talk on Bt 1886.

All I'm interested in right now is if it's even possible to accurately measure, let alone calibrate, the gamma curve on this set without taking precautions. In other words...just running through slides from 100% to 5% (or the other way around) in the middle of a calibration session is not likely to give you accurate results!

BT 1886 preset may or may not work. The gamma 2.4 present may or may not actually show a flat power "curve"...I don't know anything about this set's gamma because luminiance readings appear to vary enough (depending on what you've been displaying over the last several minutes) to throw gamma calculations off.

Last edited by JoeyBagadonuts; 10-20-2015 at 11:44 AM.
JoeyBagadonuts is offline  
post #4763 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 5,907
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
South Korea, just miles from the DMZ.

Find the offending machine, throw it into the DMZ where it will be destroyed immediately by a missle personally sent by Kim Jong-un, set up a new machine that won't mush the panels, go about your life.
wxman, roberthneal and ejvette like this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator



 
buzzard767 is offline  
post #4764 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
greenland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,590
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by polefloat View Post
Easy there cowboy. I realize this is LG Oled thread. I own a 65EF9500. Thought it would be worth showing that Panasonic can take the same exact panel and eliminate vignetting and uniformity issues.
Easy yourself. Those Panasonic Curved OLEDs, with panels from LG, are not even available on the market yet, so it is premature for anyone to be rushing to claim that they have fixed those defects. What you are looking at is just a demo unit for display at tech shows. Surely they would have taken care to make sure that they were showing one that looked the best.

It remains to be seen if they will be able to maintain that standard for all of their production runs.

Last edited by greenland; 10-20-2015 at 11:48 AM.
greenland is offline  
post #4765 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I think we can conclude that the bulk of Augusts builds are bad, and some of the September builds too.
For what it is worth, I believe we are now up to a total of 4 510 builds, none of which showed unnacceptable yellow-banding.

I'll feel even better once we have another 4-6 510 builds with no yellow-banding, but this is very encouraging nonetheless...
fafrd is offline  
post #4766 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
For what it is worth, I believe we are now up to a total of 4 510 builds, none of which showed unnacceptable yellow-banding.

I'll feel even better once we have another 4-6 510 builds with no yellow-banding, but this is very encouraging nonetheless...
4?? I thought I saw 2....one with Pink and the other with a slight yellow center blob. What did I miss? I guess it's better than the band. I agree though, we need more 510's to be shown.
atabibza is offline  
post #4767 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
greenland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,590
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1612 View Post
Just looking for your guys opinion before my return window closes. Haha

Seems pretty good to me, some vignetting but honestly I can't see it during any real content. I actually noticed it more when i first got it but now it seems to have smoothed out a bit.
If it is not showing up with real content, and it is not bothering you, why risk getting a worse replacement, and then you may be getting on the return treadmill with all the frustrations that triggers.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Latinoheat and atabibza like this.
greenland is offline  
post #4768 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Member
 
polefloat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post
Easy yourself. Those Panasonic Curved OLEDs, with panels from LG, are not even available on the market yet, so it is premature for anyone to be rushing to claim that they have fixed those defects. What you are looking at is just a demo unit for display at tech shows. Surely they would have taken care to make sure that they were showing one that looked the best.

It remains to be seen if they will be able to maintain that standard for all of their production runs.
I agree - It remains to be seen. But it's worth mentioning. Doesn’t hurt.

I guess we will know for sure in the not to distant future
greenland likes this.
polefloat is offline  
post #4769 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 5,907
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBagadonuts View Post
I would very much appreciate it if you could verify if you are seeing the "rising luminance" that I see.



Just ignore any of my past talk on Bt 1886.

All I'm interested in right now is if it's even possible to accurately measure, let alone calibrate, the gamma curve on this set without taking precautions. In other words...just running through slides from 100% to 5% (or the other way around) in the middle of a calibration session is not likely to give you accurate results!

BT 1886 preset may or may not work. The gamma 2.4 present may or may not actually show a flat power "curve"...I don't know anything about this set's gamma because luminiance readings appear to vary enough (depending on what you've been displaying over the last several minutes) to throw gamma calculations off.


Nag nag nag. Okay OK! I got my stuff out. Here's how it works. BTW, I'm using a reference meter - Klein K10-A taking 256 reads per second.

Luminance does not rise while displaying the same pattern.

I put up a window pattern at 100% and got 51.38+fL. It stayed steady for a short time and then due to ASBL, luminance (as it should with this system) slowly dropped over the next few minutes until it reached 10.63fL where it stayed steady. Then I switched the pattern to 50% luminance and then immediately back to 100% where the reads were back to 51+fL.

So how to calibrate gamma?
1) do a gamma run
2) make best guess choices for all 20 points
3) repeat gamma run
4) repeat "3)"
5) Check for clipping
6) Keep repeating until you are satisfied.

Simple

Lesson: As long as you keep switching patterns, full power will be maintained.
JoeyBagadonuts likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator



 
buzzard767 is offline  
post #4770 of 23985 Old 10-20-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CJArciola, III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: CT
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post
Thanks, are you running 4.20.08, or different firmware?


Here's the latest. I assume LG has someone reading this thread to collect early feedback. My feedback is to improve their support. I'm fine with bleeding edge technology, but you have to be prepared to ..........
Here's the number of a VIP customer rep. It's been posted on the forum before. I've used him to handle a problem with my 65EG9600. He's a great guy. Give him a call before you go to BB.
Robert MacIntyre
855-400-4640
This should put you in contact with VIP service, if not him directly.
CJArciola, III is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off