AVS Forum banner

LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread

3M views 25K replies 1K participants last post by  Starman_McSkywalker 
#1 · (Edited)
New stuff 5-28-2016

More excellent HDR information. The second video tells the story of why we see somewhat muddy blacks.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1967026-hdr-how-calibrate-3.html#post44349681

New stuff 5-27-2016

Great info on HDR and the present day displays' capabilities in a 3 part interview with Steve Shaw, author of LightSpace software:

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05/26/nab16-lightspaces-steve-shaw-p1-on-the-history-of-lightspace/

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05...e-shaw-p2-on-hdr-2084-hlg-does-it-make-sense/

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05...-steve-shaw-p3-on-p3-rec2020-and-calibration/

New stuff 5-20-2016

What happens when Wide Color Gamut is selected and HDR signals are sent to the EF?

I selected the DCI-P3 triangle as reference. WCG is on and I ran both HDR Off and On. Although the measured points are definitely different, the tracking is pure Rec.709.

Here's the HDR off/on comparison but this time using the Rec.709 triangle for reference.

Save yourself 13,000+ posts worth of reading except for 2 and 3 below. Visit satboy's summary of issues as of 1Nov2015 - here

BB 9/13/15 65" = $6,999.98 55" = $4,999.98

For now, from the LG site

LG 55EF9500 Specs

ULTRA HD (3840x2160)
Tru-4K Upscaler
Tru-Color Generator
Anti-Reflective Coating
Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching)
Real Cinema 24p
4K UHD File Playback (HEVC, VP9)

SMART TV
webOS webOS 2.0
Processor Quad Core
Magic Remote 2015 (Included)
Natural Voice Recognition
Universal Control Capability
LG Content Store (App Store)
Web Browser
SMART SHARE
Screen Share
Content Share

3D
FPR (Passive)
Dual Play
3D Glasses 2 Glasses Included

AUDIO
Speaker System 2 Channel
Output Power 20W
Sound System ULTRA Surround
Mono/Stereo/Dual (MTS/SAP)
Dolby® Digital Decoder
DTS Decoder
Sound Designed by harman/kardon®
Clear Voice II
Wireless Sound Sync

CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi® Direct
Wi-Fi® Built-In
SIMPLINK™ (HDMI™ CEC)
USB
Video DivX HD
Photo JPEG, JPS, MPO
Audio AC3(Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PC M, DTS, RA, WMA

INPUTS
RF in (Antenna/Cable) 1 (Rear)
Component Video In 1 (Rear)
Composite In (AV) 1 (Rear)
Optical 1 (Rear)
HDMI® 3 (Side)
USB 3.0/2.0 1 / 2 (Side)
LAN 1 (Rear)
RS232 1 (Rear, Phone Jack)

POWER
Power Supply (Voltage, Hz) 100V ~ 240V, 50/60 Hz
Standby Mode 0.3W

WALL MOUNT
VESA Easy Slim (OTW150)

DIMENSIONS / WEIGHT
TV without Stand (WxHxD) 48.3” x 28.3” x 2”
TV with Stand (WxHxD) 48.3” x 29.9” x 8.4”
TV Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD) 56.5” x 32” x 8.9”
TV without Stand weight 30 lbs
TV with Stand weight 37.9 lbs
Shipping Weight 51.1 lbs

WARRANTY / UPC
Limited Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labor

LG 65EF9500 specs

TV without Stand (WxHxD) 57.1” x 33.1” x 2”
TV with Stand (WxHxD) 57” x 34.8” x 9.3”
TV Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD) 66.1” x 36.8” x 10”
TV without Stand weight 46.7 lbs
TV with Stand weight 56.9 lbs
Shipping Weight 74.3 lbs

See less See more
#21,661 ·
#21,664 ·
#21,669 ·
No doubt that's part of it, though since I jumped in on plasma when it reached maturity (Kuro 9G, Panasonic xT60 series), I saw no need to jump through such exchanges and found nothing wrong with the slides. Nonetheless, with OLED still not at full maturity, it's part of the reason I vowed to avoid slides on the most recent OLED unless something untoward showed in content.
Plasma was a great Tech. I personally would have rather seen LED go....but then again we would not have any TV's 65" ++

#21,670 ·
I don't believe it will work then. Wifi was apparently able to be used as a remote control communication protocol on earlier LG models (2011) but not today.
I'm using it on my HTC One M8 and my Samsung Galaxy Pro 12 tablet and both have IR....I think there's a way to use it on wifi...not sure...
Thanks, I'm checking to see if Harmony can add the LG Service remote to my devices since they were able to add my Samsung Service remote.

#21,671 ·
Thanks, I'm checking to see if Harmony can add the LG Service remote to my devices since they were able to add my Samsung Service remote.
Yeah that's what I did - See this link:http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.p...http:.2F.2Fharmonylghack.wikispaces.com.2F.29

The important part - add LG TV 47LE5300-UC to your Logitech remote as a device, and In-Start should be there as button options. Hit that (in-start) and you can enter the code 0413. If the harmony remote doesn't let you enter numbers or commands beyond sending the in-start command, just use your regular remote. From there go to 13. OLED and set TPC enable to 0.

I noticed after doing this that yes, the ABSL is fixed during prolonged dark scenes (from what I can tell so far), but TV channel logos still get dimmed out and blotted up. I can't remember if you were the one that was trying to remove that from happening on PC use.

Reactions: lujan and jackstar7
#21,675 ·
My 65 arrives tomorrow. My excitement/panic starts now! Hopefully the unit is good and the install goes smoothly for the wife and myself.
Just want to let people know that my 65EF I just received from Beach Camera was a UA model. So from what I understand I will not be able to play HDR content from a HDMI device. There is however HDMI Deep color on/off settings, useless I suppose.

#21,676 · (Edited)
Finally had my panel replaced today for the left side stain issue. I'm happy to report that the new panel is as close to perfect as probably possible for this set. No yellowing, no jail bars and pretty much no viginetting. Also, this new panel seems brighter and just looks better overall. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just seeing something that wasn't there so I called my wife down and the first thing she said is that the picture looks better. I don't know if they are doing something different in manufacturing with these newer panels or not. Maybe mine had more problems than I knew?

Attachments

#21,677 ·
My 65 arrives tomorrow. My excitement/panic starts now! Hopefully the unit is good and the install goes smoothly for the wife and myself.
Just want to let people know that my 65EF I just received from Beach Camera was a UA model. So from what I understand I will not be able to play HDR content from a HDMI device. There is however HDMI Deep color on/off settings, useless I suppose.
Actually you are fine to play HDR from all sources with the ef. The UA vs UB only applies to the eg9600 curved oled.

#21,680 ·
HDR Question/issue

Hi Everyone

Im the proud owner of a 65EF9500 and recently started buying 4K Bluray discs with HDR. The first one I purchased was Mad Max and I was blown away by the vividness of the colour. I was more impressed with this than the 4k resolution! Deadpool and The Martian also look great!

However, today when I loaded up Batman Vs Superman it looked really washed out. That made me try Divergent which also appeared washed out. Its hard to explain but the black bars go from inky black to a dark grey, as does the rest of the picture. Its as if the deepest market blacks are removed. If I turn ULTRA HD Deep colour off in the menu system the deep blacks return but it obviously lacks the punch of HDR.

Are there different types of HDR? Are some films better than other in HDR? Some of them look worse than standard depth stuff on the OLED!

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any light shed on the matter!