AVS Forum banner

LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread

3M views 25K replies 1K participants last post by  Starman_McSkywalker 
#1 · (Edited)
New stuff 5-28-2016

More excellent HDR information. The second video tells the story of why we see somewhat muddy blacks.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1967026-hdr-how-calibrate-3.html#post44349681

New stuff 5-27-2016

Great info on HDR and the present day displays' capabilities in a 3 part interview with Steve Shaw, author of LightSpace software:

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05/26/nab16-lightspaces-steve-shaw-p1-on-the-history-of-lightspace/

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05...e-shaw-p2-on-hdr-2084-hlg-does-it-make-sense/

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05...-steve-shaw-p3-on-p3-rec2020-and-calibration/

New stuff 5-20-2016

What happens when Wide Color Gamut is selected and HDR signals are sent to the EF?

I selected the DCI-P3 triangle as reference. WCG is on and I ran both HDR Off and On. Although the measured points are definitely different, the tracking is pure Rec.709.

Here's the HDR off/on comparison but this time using the Rec.709 triangle for reference.

Save yourself 13,000+ posts worth of reading except for 2 and 3 below. Visit satboy's summary of issues as of 1Nov2015 - here

BB 9/13/15 65" = $6,999.98 55" = $4,999.98

For now, from the LG site

LG 55EF9500 Specs

ULTRA HD (3840x2160)
Tru-4K Upscaler
Tru-Color Generator
Anti-Reflective Coating
Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching)
Real Cinema 24p
4K UHD File Playback (HEVC, VP9)

SMART TV
webOS webOS 2.0
Processor Quad Core
Magic Remote 2015 (Included)
Natural Voice Recognition
Universal Control Capability
LG Content Store (App Store)
Web Browser
SMART SHARE
Screen Share
Content Share

3D
FPR (Passive)
Dual Play
3D Glasses 2 Glasses Included

AUDIO
Speaker System 2 Channel
Output Power 20W
Sound System ULTRA Surround
Mono/Stereo/Dual (MTS/SAP)
Dolby® Digital Decoder
DTS Decoder
Sound Designed by harman/kardon®
Clear Voice II
Wireless Sound Sync

CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi® Direct
Wi-Fi® Built-In
SIMPLINK™ (HDMI™ CEC)
USB
Video DivX HD
Photo JPEG, JPS, MPO
Audio AC3(Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PC M, DTS, RA, WMA

INPUTS
RF in (Antenna/Cable) 1 (Rear)
Component Video In 1 (Rear)
Composite In (AV) 1 (Rear)
Optical 1 (Rear)
HDMI® 3 (Side)
USB 3.0/2.0 1 / 2 (Side)
LAN 1 (Rear)
RS232 1 (Rear, Phone Jack)

POWER
Power Supply (Voltage, Hz) 100V ~ 240V, 50/60 Hz
Standby Mode 0.3W

WALL MOUNT
VESA Easy Slim (OTW150)

DIMENSIONS / WEIGHT
TV without Stand (WxHxD) 48.3” x 28.3” x 2”
TV with Stand (WxHxD) 48.3” x 29.9” x 8.4”
TV Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD) 56.5” x 32” x 8.9”
TV without Stand weight 30 lbs
TV with Stand weight 37.9 lbs
Shipping Weight 51.1 lbs

WARRANTY / UPC
Limited Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labor

LG 65EF9500 specs

TV without Stand (WxHxD) 57.1” x 33.1” x 2”
TV with Stand (WxHxD) 57” x 34.8” x 9.3”
TV Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD) 66.1” x 36.8” x 10”
TV without Stand weight 46.7 lbs
TV with Stand weight 56.9 lbs
Shipping Weight 74.3 lbs

See less See more
#21,761 ·
I've been away from this group for a while. I'm starting to think about adding a BluRay to the set for Christmas. Is the consensus Samsung, Panasonic or wait for Oppo? Also, I'm thinking about a new receiver with Atmos plus some up firing add-on speakers to complement my 5.1 Polk arrangement. I'll go get a glass of wine while you discuss.

Bob
I'm waiting for Oppo too. My 103D is awesome. I would expect Oppo's 4K machine would be awesomer:)

#21,762 ·
I'm waiting for Oppo too. My 103D is awesome. I would expect Oppo's 4K machine would be awesomer:)
Also have to keep other things in mind. I like using the player for Netflix and Amazon as well, and the Samsung UHD player flat spanks the 103D when it comes to blu-ray playback, Netflix and Amazon.

Need to let them be released and try them, granted the Oppo or the Panny should offer more menu options than the Samsung.

#21,763 ·
I've been away from this group for a while. I'm starting to think about adding a BluRay to the set for Christmas. Is the consensus Samsung, Panasonic or wait for Oppo? Also, I'm thinking about a new receiver with Atmos plus some up firing add-on speakers to complement my 5.1 Polk arrangement. I'll go get a glass of wine while you discuss.

Bob
What about the Xbox One S that's releasing on Aug 2?
http://www.cnet.com/news/the-xbox-one-s-could-be-4k-blu-rays-white-knight-and-it-plays-games-too/

#21,766 ·
If you want to adjust HDR settings when streaming media from the Amazon app on the TV the trick is to click on a program with HDR, then while the program is starting to load you need to immediately hit the settings button on the remote go to picture settings and click the picture setting you have and wait with the screen pulled up which allows you to make adjustments to brightness etc... Once the show loads you will see the picture mode change to HDR and you can pretty much change all the picture settings except OLED light and contrast i believe. It works, you just have to be really quick and get there before the show loads or you have to exit the program and try again. :)
Now that is something I would never have figured out. How did this occur to anyone to try? Thanks Justin you are a champ. HDR looks better now. I just wish I could choose not to max out OLED to 100. Hurts my eyes. And they say that OLED isnt bright enough... Why do people wanna hurt themselves?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#21,767 ·
Hi Everyone

Im the proud owner of a 65EF9500 and recently started buying 4K Bluray discs with HDR. The first one I purchased was Mad Max and I was blown away by the vividness of the colour. I was more impressed with this than the 4k resolution! Deadpool and The Martian also look great!

However, today when I loaded up Batman Vs Superman it looked really washed out. That made me try Divergent which also appeared washed out. Its hard to explain but the black bars go from inky black to a dark grey, as does the rest of the picture. Its as if the deepest market blacks are removed. If I turn ULTRA HD Deep colour off in the menu system the deep blacks return but it obviously lacks the punch of HDR.

Are there different types of HDR? Are some films better than other in HDR? Some of them look worse than standard depth stuff on the OLED!

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any light shed on the matter!
In relation to this does anyone know what the relationship is between HDR, Wide colour mode and HDMI deep colour? Do all or some of these need to be active in order to experience HDR? To me the descriptions for each all sound the same as the one often given for HDR?!

#21,771 ·
103D vs. Samsung UHD

Also have to keep other things in mind. I like using the player for Netflix and Amazon as well, and the Samsung UHD player flat spanks the 103D when it comes to blu-ray playback, Netflix and Amazon.
I'm curious what differences you see in blu-ray playback between the 103D and the Samsung. Is it just disc load times/compatibility, or can you really see a quality difference?

I would expect the Samsung to easily best the 103D's Netflix/Amazon playback, given its age, so I use either the TV or the Shield/FireTV for those anyway. Actually, now that I think of it, I didn't know the 103D could play Amazon. Don't think I've ever tried it.

#21,772 ·
The spank comment was meant in general. As far as streaming, if you care about that, hands down Samsung. As far as blu-ray quality, I never compared side to side, but what I can say is the Samsung looks great with 1080p 2D and 3D, so when you factor in UHD streaming and UHD discs, it was a no brainer to sell the 103D and use that money for the Samsung (all while pocketing some $$$).

#21,773 ·
This is from my new panel replacement. There is less jail bars bar but a "greater" uniformity issue. :(

Attachments

#21,775 ·
Here is the 10%. Seems there is banding, uniformity and a greenish push.

Attachments

#21,777 ·
#21,778 ·
Netflix HDR update received, but............

Finaly received the SDK 4.2.2 Netflix version what should enable HDR, but sorry to say it is not.
Only get Ultra HD 4K but when i do a HDR search Netflix comes with 2 seasons of Marco Polo, a movie and an other serie.
But can not get HDR to work (yet).
Hope to find out what is wrong, will call Netflix tomorrow.

#21,779 ·
Here is the 10%. Seems there is banding, uniformity and a greenish push.
Your settings look way off, try using the default settings for ISF 1 or 2. Maybe change OLED light setting to 42, brightness between 50 and 53, try using 2.4 gamma.

These default setting will be better than what you are using now.
Still you probably will have a greenish tint to your 5% color pattern.

ss