AVS Forum banner

LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread

3M views 25K replies 1K participants last post by  Starman_McSkywalker 
#1 · (Edited)
New stuff 5-28-2016

More excellent HDR information. The second video tells the story of why we see somewhat muddy blacks.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1967026-hdr-how-calibrate-3.html#post44349681

New stuff 5-27-2016

Great info on HDR and the present day displays' capabilities in a 3 part interview with Steve Shaw, author of LightSpace software:

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05/26/nab16-lightspaces-steve-shaw-p1-on-the-history-of-lightspace/

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05...e-shaw-p2-on-hdr-2084-hlg-does-it-make-sense/

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05...-steve-shaw-p3-on-p3-rec2020-and-calibration/

New stuff 5-20-2016

What happens when Wide Color Gamut is selected and HDR signals are sent to the EF?

I selected the DCI-P3 triangle as reference. WCG is on and I ran both HDR Off and On. Although the measured points are definitely different, the tracking is pure Rec.709.

Here's the HDR off/on comparison but this time using the Rec.709 triangle for reference.

Save yourself 13,000+ posts worth of reading except for 2 and 3 below. Visit satboy's summary of issues as of 1Nov2015 - here

BB 9/13/15 65" = $6,999.98 55" = $4,999.98

For now, from the LG site

LG 55EF9500 Specs

ULTRA HD (3840x2160)
Tru-4K Upscaler
Tru-Color Generator
Anti-Reflective Coating
Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching)
Real Cinema 24p
4K UHD File Playback (HEVC, VP9)

SMART TV
webOS webOS 2.0
Processor Quad Core
Magic Remote 2015 (Included)
Natural Voice Recognition
Universal Control Capability
LG Content Store (App Store)
Web Browser
SMART SHARE
Screen Share
Content Share

3D
FPR (Passive)
Dual Play
3D Glasses 2 Glasses Included

AUDIO
Speaker System 2 Channel
Output Power 20W
Sound System ULTRA Surround
Mono/Stereo/Dual (MTS/SAP)
Dolby® Digital Decoder
DTS Decoder
Sound Designed by harman/kardon®
Clear Voice II
Wireless Sound Sync

CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi® Direct
Wi-Fi® Built-In
SIMPLINK™ (HDMI™ CEC)
USB
Video DivX HD
Photo JPEG, JPS, MPO
Audio AC3(Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PC M, DTS, RA, WMA

INPUTS
RF in (Antenna/Cable) 1 (Rear)
Component Video In 1 (Rear)
Composite In (AV) 1 (Rear)
Optical 1 (Rear)
HDMI® 3 (Side)
USB 3.0/2.0 1 / 2 (Side)
LAN 1 (Rear)
RS232 1 (Rear, Phone Jack)

POWER
Power Supply (Voltage, Hz) 100V ~ 240V, 50/60 Hz
Standby Mode 0.3W

WALL MOUNT
VESA Easy Slim (OTW150)

DIMENSIONS / WEIGHT
TV without Stand (WxHxD) 48.3” x 28.3” x 2”
TV with Stand (WxHxD) 48.3” x 29.9” x 8.4”
TV Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD) 56.5” x 32” x 8.9”
TV without Stand weight 30 lbs
TV with Stand weight 37.9 lbs
Shipping Weight 51.1 lbs

WARRANTY / UPC
Limited Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labor

LG 65EF9500 specs

TV without Stand (WxHxD) 57.1” x 33.1” x 2”
TV with Stand (WxHxD) 57” x 34.8” x 9.3”
TV Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD) 66.1” x 36.8” x 10”
TV without Stand weight 46.7 lbs
TV with Stand weight 56.9 lbs
Shipping Weight 74.3 lbs

See less See more
#22,321 ·
Just stating the obvious I am not an expert or anything on TV's or pictures, but I am wondering about one thing. How much vertical banding should there be on a television? I have the LG EF9500. And to be honest the other LG TV I have which is an LED TV from 2013 or 12, manages dark scenes a lot better... just tell me if I am being nitpicking or anything like that, and if anyone need pictures just tell me. Thanks!

#22,322 ·
Fandango got an update this morning, no clue what it does. Don't own any HDR so can't check that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I updated FandangoNow and didn't notice anything different which I've come to expect. Been waiting for a very long time now for the Vidity downloadable movies to be available elsewhere besides certain Samsung TVs but they must have a pretty strong hold on it or Vidity is going to go by the wayside, who knows?

#22,323 ·
UPDATE: LG put me in touch with local repair guys to schedule. Was pleasantly surprised they diagnosed over the phone after texting them pics. New panel is ordered and will be installed on the 2nd.

Now, a previous post here talked about them being out of stock and that LG was going to instead be sending out a '16 unit when stock arrived. This would be a nice deal. But I'm just happy to be getting potentially a better panel.

I'll update as things develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm slightly envious, but mainly happy for you that you're getting your fix on the 2nd. Mine isn't scheduled until Sep 10. To defend BB a little bit, they did originally schedule Aug 30th (auto scheduled without any input from me), but I wasn't available on that day so Sep 10 was the next date available when the "part"-whatever that is going to be-will be available in conjunction with a day I'm off.

I look forward to hearing how your repair turns out.

#22,324 ·
Any 9500 owners getting an itchy trigger finger with the prices dropping on the 2016 B series? The Microcenter price for the 65" (although hard to find in stock) makes me think prices everywhere will be closer to $3k near the end of the year. While the 3D does look amazing on my 65EF9500, I find that I rarely watch the 20 or so 3d discs that i do have, so I'm not sure I would miss it. The lure of Dolby Vision, hopefully better uniformity, and brighter screen may be enough for me to upgrade. If I could find a buyer for my 9500 of course, which I essentially paid about $3k for.

#22,325 ·
Any 9500 owners getting an itchy trigger finger with the prices dropping on the 2016 B series? The Microcenter price for the 65" (although hard to find in stock) makes me think prices everywhere will be closer to $3k near the end of the year. While the 3D does look amazing on my 65EF9500, I find that I rarely watch the 20 or so 3d discs that i do have, so I'm not sure I would miss it. The lure of Dolby Vision, hopefully better uniformity, and brighter screen may be enough for me to upgrade. If I could find a buyer for my 9500 of course, which I essentially paid about $3k for.
Slightly itchy, but not enough to jump in now. But I think I'll at least wait for the 2017's to come out. It is tempting though . .

#22,326 ·
Slightly itchy, but not enough to jump in now. But I think I'll at least wait for the 2017's to come out. It is tempting though . .
Same here. My panel is decent so I don't feel like Dolby vision alone is enough of a reason to upgrade. Im thinking 2018 will be the sweet spot for an upgrade. OLED, HDR, and dolby vision will all be more mature by then.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#22,327 ·
All I know is the 2016's got a gamut fix we could get, one would think.

The media reported we would get 3.0 lite at some point.

Looking at the past update cycle from the Korean site, we are past due for one so I am not sure if we are gonna get another one. We will see... Nothing promised though.
Could you tell me whats wrong with the Gamut in are EF9500's.?

The issue isn't so much with the WCG, its the controls for the Gamut that don't work very well.
The standard gamut controls have the same issue's.

I have found that WCG is fine to also use for SDR calibration's.
Below is a Gamut after calibration check. As you can see the WCG (wide color gamut) is very nice for a SDR.;)

ss

Attachments

#22,328 ·
Just got this TV (65inch) at the end of last month and this thread has been a huge help. So far I love the TV but I have been having one huge issue that I have not been able to find any information about. About once or twice a day (sometimes a few times more, sometimes less) the TV will have the message "Wired Headset attached" come up on the screen and the sound will automatically start outputting only through the headphone jack. This is happening without me having any headphones attached to the TV and I have to pause what I am watching and switch back to internal speakers or HDMI Arc or there is no sound.

I have tried cleaning out the headphone jack with canned air and bought a service remote to deactive the headset setting but it was grayed out. Very frustrated. The first time I used the canned air blast it went a full week without happening but now has started happening a couple times a day again. Has anybody had this problem?

Instead of compressed air, have you tried an actual headphone input. Put it in, pull it out a few times. See if that makes a difference.

#22,329 ·
Got home last night and this surprise shipment was waiting for me. I guess Panasonic have started shipping these in US now. I thought it would be in October. Connected, some teething troubles, but finally watched "The Martian" in all its HDR glory. Very impressive. Only bummer is the UHD DVD only has Dolby 7.1 and that croaks with my DVD -> TV Passthrough -> Sonos Playbar config.
Have you tried something like this...

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

#22,330 ·
Well, my 65EF9500 seems to be completely dying. Every input, picture goes in and out, starting happening once in a while, and now it's constant. Picture distorts into snow and colored pixels. Unable to even play a game and watch anything.

Going to submit warranty claim to LG tomorrow, we'll see what happens...but I am not happy...Thank god this happened while still under the warranty period.

#22,331 ·
Any hockey fans out there who own a 9500?

Really interested in this set but have been reading that OLED's are not great for fast moving sports like hockey.

Below is a description of the issue:

OLEDs are flicker-free "sample and hold" displays.
This means that while they switch frames instantly, they hold the frame on the screen until the next one is ready to be drawn - so you have a full 16.67ms (60FPS) 33.33ms (30 FPS) or 41.67ms (24 FPS) of persistence-based motion blur.

So while there is no smearing on the panel - except for what is part of the source (video cameras can blur things) there is a lot of motion blur which happens due to persistence of vision.
This means that you have the same "300 lines" of motion resolution as a sample-and-hold LCD from 10 years ago.
It will be a cleaner image because there is no panel-based smearing, but there will still be a lot of motion blur on the display which does not exist in the source.

And for some people, panel-based smearing is more of a problem than persistence-based motion blur.
While a low-persistence LCD can display a sharp moving image, the residual panel smearing can be quite bad.
I love what I've seen with this TV but issues watching hockey would be a dealbreaker for me.

#22,332 ·
Any hockey fans out there who own a 9500?

Really interested in this set but have been reading that OLED's are not great for fast moving sports like hockey.
I watch hockey and it looks just fine (go Stars!).

Reactions: Beaugolfs
#22,334 ·
Got home last night and this surprise shipment was waiting for me. I guess Panasonic have started shipping these in US now.
That is sweet :) I did not think they where out just yet.......

#22,335 ·
Well, my 65EF9500 seems to be completely dying. Every input, picture goes in and out, starting happening once in a while, and now it's constant. Picture distorts into snow and colored pixels. Unable to even play a game and watch anything.
That sounds like HDCP issues, due to signal degradation. Did you check other / shorter HDMI cables?
But it's been getting worse. Sounds like a main board going bad to me, but a tech can narrow down the problem (could also be the T-Conn board).

#22,337 ·
Certainly in the LG world HDMI-CEC is required to be on for ARC from this set.
It did not address my particular issue. I am connected via HDMI ARC, but when I connect to any smart app (Amazon) there is picture but no audio. All other devices connect thru my Denon home audio system via HDMI have picture and audio (blue ray -Apple TV -streaming box. Is the SimpleLink, not being turned on the problem?When it is turned on, my Apple TV defaults into the on position, not the TV.
LG EF9500
Denon 710 Home Theatre

#22,339 ·
UPDATE: LG put me in touch with local repair guys to schedule. Was pleasantly surprised they diagnosed over the phone after texting them pics. New panel is ordered and will be installed on the 2nd.

Now, a previous post here talked about them being out of stock and that LG was going to instead be sending out a '16 unit when stock arrived. This would be a nice deal. But I'm just happy to be getting potentially a better panel.

I'll update as things develop.

How long did it take for you to get a response from the LG techs? I have submitted pictures over a week ago an haven't heard anything from them yet? Should I resubmit pictures?

#22,340 ·
How long did it take for you to get a response from the LG techs? I have submitted pictures over a week ago an haven't heard anything from them yet? Should I resubmit pictures?

I called them using the number on other EF9500 support page and talked to someone immediately who put in the service request to "Precision TV" in my area. It was late in the day so Precision didn't call me till the next day but it was through them, over the phone, that they got my pictures and ordered the panel right then and there and scheduled installation.