AVS Forum banner

LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread

3M views 25K replies 1K participants last post by  Starman_McSkywalker 
#1 · (Edited)
New stuff 5-28-2016

More excellent HDR information. The second video tells the story of why we see somewhat muddy blacks.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1967026-hdr-how-calibrate-3.html#post44349681

New stuff 5-27-2016

Great info on HDR and the present day displays' capabilities in a 3 part interview with Steve Shaw, author of LightSpace software:

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05/26/nab16-lightspaces-steve-shaw-p1-on-the-history-of-lightspace/

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05...e-shaw-p2-on-hdr-2084-hlg-does-it-make-sense/

http://www.cinetechgeek.com/2016/05...-steve-shaw-p3-on-p3-rec2020-and-calibration/

New stuff 5-20-2016

What happens when Wide Color Gamut is selected and HDR signals are sent to the EF?

I selected the DCI-P3 triangle as reference. WCG is on and I ran both HDR Off and On. Although the measured points are definitely different, the tracking is pure Rec.709.

Here's the HDR off/on comparison but this time using the Rec.709 triangle for reference.

Save yourself 13,000+ posts worth of reading except for 2 and 3 below. Visit satboy's summary of issues as of 1Nov2015 - here

BB 9/13/15 65" = $6,999.98 55" = $4,999.98

For now, from the LG site

LG 55EF9500 Specs

ULTRA HD (3840x2160)
Tru-4K Upscaler
Tru-Color Generator
Anti-Reflective Coating
Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching)
Real Cinema 24p
4K UHD File Playback (HEVC, VP9)

SMART TV
webOS webOS 2.0
Processor Quad Core
Magic Remote 2015 (Included)
Natural Voice Recognition
Universal Control Capability
LG Content Store (App Store)
Web Browser
SMART SHARE
Screen Share
Content Share

3D
FPR (Passive)
Dual Play
3D Glasses 2 Glasses Included

AUDIO
Speaker System 2 Channel
Output Power 20W
Sound System ULTRA Surround
Mono/Stereo/Dual (MTS/SAP)
Dolby® Digital Decoder
DTS Decoder
Sound Designed by harman/kardon®
Clear Voice II
Wireless Sound Sync

CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi® Direct
Wi-Fi® Built-In
SIMPLINK™ (HDMI™ CEC)
USB
Video DivX HD
Photo JPEG, JPS, MPO
Audio AC3(Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PC M, DTS, RA, WMA

INPUTS
RF in (Antenna/Cable) 1 (Rear)
Component Video In 1 (Rear)
Composite In (AV) 1 (Rear)
Optical 1 (Rear)
HDMI® 3 (Side)
USB 3.0/2.0 1 / 2 (Side)
LAN 1 (Rear)
RS232 1 (Rear, Phone Jack)

POWER
Power Supply (Voltage, Hz) 100V ~ 240V, 50/60 Hz
Standby Mode 0.3W

WALL MOUNT
VESA Easy Slim (OTW150)

DIMENSIONS / WEIGHT
TV without Stand (WxHxD) 48.3” x 28.3” x 2”
TV with Stand (WxHxD) 48.3” x 29.9” x 8.4”
TV Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD) 56.5” x 32” x 8.9”
TV without Stand weight 30 lbs
TV with Stand weight 37.9 lbs
Shipping Weight 51.1 lbs

WARRANTY / UPC
Limited Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labor

LG 65EF9500 specs

TV without Stand (WxHxD) 57.1” x 33.1” x 2”
TV with Stand (WxHxD) 57” x 34.8” x 9.3”
TV Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD) 66.1” x 36.8” x 10”
TV without Stand weight 46.7 lbs
TV with Stand weight 56.9 lbs
Shipping Weight 74.3 lbs

See less See more
#22,361 ·
Speaking of HDR, how sure is everyone we should be using Wide for the color gamut? It seems to add a red tint to my movies when I do so. Especially on Mad Max. When I use Standard color gamut it looks more like the Dolby Vision version on my E6. The sand is tan rather than tan with some red in it. Please advise.

#22,362 ·
Speaking of HDR, how sure is everyone we should be using Wide for the color gamut? It seems to add a red tint to my movies when I do so. Especially on Mad Max. When I use Standard color gamut it looks more like the Dolby Vision version on my E6. The sand is tan rather than tan with some red in it. Please advise.
Don't use WCG for now. hopefully LG will fix the color mapping on the EF series with a firmware update like they did on the 2016 models a while back.

#22,363 ·
New member here,can anyone tell me whats going on with Netflix HDR ???TV display indicates HDR on but picture quality is terrible ,would a slow internet speed cause this ?
Any advise would be helpful.
Terrible as in soft or something else? If soft, does PQ improve after a couple of minutes? If so, it's Netflix testing bandwidth before upping the streaming speed and resulting resolution.

#22,364 ·
Don't use WCG for now. hopefully LG will fix the color mapping on the EF series with a firmware update like they did on the 2016 models a while back.
It's not the WCG that is the issue, it is the Gamut CMS controls that have a issue.

The issue is you need advanced calibration skills and a external processor.

I have been using WCG for about a year on my EF9500 for SDR 709, with great results.
It is to early to tell how well HDR 2020 or the like will work. Mainly because the calibration software like Calman, LightSpace, ArgyllCMS are not ready for HDR 2020/3DLUT.

ss

#22,365 ·
Terrible as in blurry around figures also colour doesn't look correct .I think it could be internet speed e.g. i have never had a download speed inxs of say 5-6 gbs all ok for high definition but have never been able to stream in 4k so a netflix show like Marco Polo was nice and clear in high def but as soon as netflix changed to HDR the quality went down hill fast.
Until i can obtain a much higher internet speed,which is under an order at the moment with my provider, if this is the problem,I'll just have to be patient and wait for my new connection.
By the way I'm located in Australia, do you guy's also suffer from slow download speeds??

#22,366 ·
Xbone S update for any of you interested.

• Amazon 1080p PQ is exceptional (tv shows)
  • Netflix app has an HDR bug, but you can uncheck HDR for now and it just does UltraHD Netflix like the Roku 4, and looks great
  • You can also uncheck the HDR selection and play a UHD Blu-ray, and it will output 2160p with HDR stripped like the Philips and Panny. I find this useful at times because even going past the color gamut issue in HDR mode, I find darker movies give me jail bars (prob has something to do with gamma in HDR mode) I would not see on the 1080p Blu-ray version. So it would theoretically give you access to the high-quality encode and native 2160p material, without causing the display to go into HDR mode.
  • The one con is now atmos for anyone using advanced codecs, at least not yet. For me this is not an issue.

So far I really like this thing as an all in one machine.
Do you prefer Amazon and Netflix on Xbox over webos

#22,367 ·
Terrible as in blurry around figures also colour doesn't look correct .I think it could be internet speed e.g. i have never had a download speed inxs of say 5-6 gbs all ok for high definition but have never been able to stream in 4k so a netflix show like Marco Polo was nice and clear in high def but as soon as netflix changed to HDR the quality went down hill fast.
Until i can obtain a much higher internet speed,which is under an order at the moment with my provider, if this is the problem,I'll just have to be patient and wait for my new connection.
By the way I'm located in Australia, do you guy's also suffer from slow download speeds??
The blurriness sounds like slow download speed. If your current speed is 5 or 6 Mbps that's too slow for 4K. I think I read a spec of 4K Netflix needing 18 Mbps minimum. I have a 50 Mbps connection and it often starts blurry until it gets sorted out.

#22,368 ·
Thanks FredB51 for your comments,i know i have been unable to get 4k.since purchasing the Ef9500 ,hopefully not for much longer,but i think i have sorted this problem out.
Went into tv settings turned on deep colour on relevant hdmi and turned on wide colour and what do you know ,colour sorted out ,still not 4k,but stll a nice HD quality.Again thanks for your assistance .

#22,369 · (Edited)
Do you prefer Amazon and Netflix on Xbox over webos
To be honest, I have never used displays for their apps. They always reminded me of year old blu-ray players that stopped getting support where consoles and Roku's continue to get updated versions. I have always bought a dedicated streamer of some sort.

Can't say.

#22,370 ·
The blurriness sounds like slow download speed. If your current speed is 5 or 6 Mbps that's too slow for 4K. I think I read a spec of 4K Netflix needing 18 Mbps minimum. I have a 50 Mbps connection and it often starts blurry until it gets sorted out.
It can run up to 16mbps, Vudu UHD as well. So using Netflix's test site (fast.com), it would probably be best if you were seeing 20+ for some head room.

Even with my 100mbps down cable internet I usually start at 1080, but it gets to 2160p fast. Amazon seems to have a slow ramp up for sure.

#22,371 ·
How long did it take for you to get a response from the LG techs? I have submitted pictures over a week ago an haven't heard anything from them yet? Should I resubmit pictures?
A phone call never hurts anything :)

#22,373 ·
Anyone here that has had an issue with a lot of vertical banding on dark scenes in content? Or is that just normal? When it's a dark scene the picture get's washed out because of this, and on some parts I can't see any details in the picture. This does not happen on a older tv which is a lot cheaper price of the EF9500. Just wondering, I am no expert at all...

#22,374 ·
Someone on this forum said that Netflix, Amazon etc all start out blurry while checking you Internet speed. That is the case for me, and the shows click into focus after a few seconds

#22,375 ·
Anyone here that has had an issue with a lot of vertical banding on dark scenes in content? Or is that just normal? When it's a dark scene the picture get's washed out because of this, and on some parts I can't see any details in the picture. This does not happen on a older tv which is a lot cheaper price of the EF9500. Just wondering, I am no expert at all...
Issue can be easily present if Brightness (black level) is not set properly.

#22,377 ·
Quick question that I couldn't find after a forum search... Does anyone know how to get the TV to display the current refresh rate? I'm trying to get my HTPC with a Nvidia GFX1080 card to push content to the TV at 60hz UHD resolution through a receiver and want to make sure that nothing is switching over to a 30hz refresh rate. I'm afraid that by the time it hits the TV it's only 30hz.

#22,379 ·
Something doesnt sound right.

With say Oled Light 45, Contrast 80, and Gamma 2.2, Brightness 49 should be pretty good.
Tried your settings, but sadly I still have the vertical banding issue, I have almost tried all the settings out there for ISF, and it's extremely visible when I watch HDR on Amazon, like mozart in the jungle. Looks amazing during a day scene, but during a night scene or dark scene wahsed out. I have a picture of it, do not know how visible it is, taken while I was watching in a dark room. Just tell me if I am beeing nitpicky. I do not know how I upload a picture here...

#22,380 ·
Tried your settings, but sadly I still have the vertical banding issue, I have almost tried all the settings out there for ISF, and it's extremely visible when I watch HDR on Amazon, like mozart in the jungle. Looks amazing during a day scene, but during a night scene or dark scene wahsed out. I have a picture of it, do not know how visible it is, taken while I was watching in a dark room. Just tell me if I am beeing nitpicky. I do not know how I upload a picture here...
I do not have vertical banding on 1080i/1080p/2160p non HDR stuff, but when mine goes into HDR mode I have seen some. UHD blu-ray is a prime example, vertical banding was evident during Batman v Superman on the UHD disc, but perfect on the blu-ray disc. I think it is directly related to the gamma this thing is running when it goes into HDR mode, which is why I am going to try the Panny player with HDR to SDR conversion so I can experiment.