Just The Pictures w/out The Talk! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 84 Old 08-30-2003, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been out of the tv market for awhile, happily enjoying my two 36" Wega's and happened upon a 50" Panasonic LCD yesterday at Best Buy and was AMAZED at the picture quality and decided that it may be time to make the HDTV Widescreen upgrade. Naturally, I came to AV Science for more info. I did a search at this site and this is one of the threads that came up for an LCD mention.

After reading these posts, I cannot understand why everyone was so hostile toward WTFPPL. Granted I was not able to read the post that was deleted but I think he made a valid point. Just like people have said here time and again, be it listening to speakers or comparing displays, you have to take the time and make the comparisons yourself - often in your own home to get the true effect. I don't think making such comments lessens R Harkness efforts or contributions. I find the comparisons interesting myself, but the point about not linking in the FAQ seems valid. The attitude in the thread seems more one of condescension than discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 08-30-2003, 07:58 PM

One reason I could care less about his posts was his nick, "WTFPPL". No need to be so crude. I'm sure the moderators could look at his ip address and match it up to his other nicknames, but that's just stumping to his level.

I found the pictures great and the subject perfect!
post #63 of 84 Old 08-30-2003, 08:01 PM

Whatever the accronym is supposed to be, I don't know but I don't think that changes his point. The pictures are interesting but putting them on the FAQ seems to hold them up as a true reference. Not trying to re-start an argument - just giving a somewhat outsiders opinion.
post #64 of 84 Old 08-30-2003, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
saberry,

That's cool, and it's nice to have your input.

I'm of the mind that the vast majority of people who find their way here are intelligent enough to know that there is nothing definitive to be learned from any screen shot. I can't imagine anyone looking at a screen shot to decide which display they will lay down a huge wad of cash on. They are going to be intrigued by the discussions, and maybe by some of the shots, and check out their purchase in person (or ask advice if for some reason they can't see them in person). That has been the trend, pretty much without exception.

So I don't see any danger...I'd give people the benefit of the doubt on this one.

The FAQ is a place to go not just for dry information on plasma, but it is a repository for interesting, fun or intriguing threads concerning flat screens/plasma. My non-ISF certified home-brew method for image calibration is in there, as well as a funny poem from rogo.

I'm glad the screen shots are easily accessible in the FAQ - I can see them anytime I want, and newbies who would never know they existed can have tun checking them out. And they do translate the fact that plasmas can put out great images.

No big deal, as I see it.

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 84 Old 08-30-2003, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
The one thing that is missing is how this thread came to be. People would go to the B&Ms and look at the Plasmas and then come back here and say- geesh, there washed out, no color, whats the big deal, etc, etc. So we took some screen shots for reference purposes only. My thing was to show the colors and show that once you got your Plasma home and tweak (Calibrate) it that it will seem to come to life. I took my pictures with a digital camera and loaded them into the computer, I did nothing to enhance or change the pictures in any way. If you look closely you can see some detail and some good color- nothing more, nothing less.

People should reserve comment until they see or hear the whole story. If you do a search dating back to the Dec-Jan time frame I think that you will find the thread about Plasmas and B&Ms and what people were observing.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #66 of 84 Old 08-31-2003, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
I have learned something from WTFPPL... apparently what I thought was a blackout a couple of weeks ago was nothing more than the darkness of my cave! :rolleyes:
post #67 of 84 Old 09-02-2003, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed the pictures and screen shots.

I downloaded many of the images to my computer at work. Kids that see my pictures (as a screensaver in XP) love staring at the images. They don't know it is a plasma picture, but they sure know what they like.

Thanks for the thread.

Pocatello
post #68 of 84 Old 11-19-2003, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Boy, this was a fun thread wasn't it!!!

I wonder what happened to some of these folks????

I wonder how many got their Plasmas!!!!

Life is good!!:)

Dave

post #69 of 84 Old 11-20-2003, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
While the Plasma look great, I am sticking with my Elite 730 for the time being.
post #70 of 84 Old 11-20-2003, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cheridave
Boy, this was a fun thread wasn't it!!!

I wonder what happened to some of these folks????

I wonder how many got their Plasmas!!!!

Life is good!!:)

Dave
1. Yes

2. Still here

3. I got one

Life is a bowl of "cheris", eh Dave?

Waiting patiently for local HD.......and a 60" plasma for $5,000, then life would be a bowl of "cheris" and "daves".

Rich McGirr

post #71 of 84 Old 11-20-2003, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

You are a funny guy Rich. Thanks :)

Dave

post #72 of 84 Old 05-05-2004, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cheridave
Gary will post Pio-433 and Rich will post Panny 42- TBA
Have the Pio-433 pics been posted somewhere? I'm really curious about seeing them. :)

Thanks!

Peace...

post #73 of 84 Old 05-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Um. Folks.
With all due respect, 6-1/4" X 3-1/16" Plasma screen-shots don't help me a whole lot evaluating PQ. But nice camera-work!
Best,
AMc
(running 1280x1024, 32BPP color LCD...).
post #74 of 84 Old 05-06-2004, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Congrats Ken on the winning setup. May I recommend a Denon DVD5900 1080i dvi with 35 parameter adjustment Faroudja processing, that is the best dvd player for the Fujitsu I have found.

post #75 of 84 Old 05-06-2004, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

:cool: LURKING :cool:

Harley
post #76 of 84 Old 10-26-2004, 01:41 PM

What is "Faroudja processing" Yes searched nothing in the FAQ or glosaary. Thanks!
post #77 of 84 Old 10-26-2004, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

It is also know as DCDi which is
"...Directional Correlational Deinterlacing. What it does is solve nasty noise and artifact problems on digital video sources for live sports and fast action movies. It removes jagged edges that are created by video cameras. For a diehard hockey fan like me, this technology is a good part of what makes the NRS worth the investment."

Link about the NRS Faroudja Processor

Still in my cave watching my plasma. :)

Rich McGirr

post #78 of 84 Old 07-16-2005, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

You guys remember this thread and the fun we had with it?

Already 2 years ago.

Dave

post #79 of 84 Old 07-16-2005, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow... 2 years already!!!

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ
Links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & Motorized Artwork.
Also links to Audio/Video/Computer Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks and Many More.
post #80 of 84 Old 09-01-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness
Here are screen shots taken from my Panasonic TH-42PWD4UY plasma. It's an "Extended Definition" plasma, pixel res of 852 x 480. The picture quality is basically identical to the current TH-42PWD5UY model.

- Rich H.

the term is "enhanced definition" not extended definition. There is no such thing as extended definition, and is not an industry known or followed term.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
post #81 of 84 Old 09-01-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf
the term is "enhanced definition" not extended definition. There is no such thing as extended definition, and is not an industry known or followed term.
Thanks for clearing that up. :D
post #82 of 84 Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

2 years already...seems like yesterday...give or take a year. :)

Rich McGirr

post #83 of 84 Old 09-01-2005, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf
Feeling pedantic today, are we? Me too. ;)

From the ever popular ProjectorCentral.com Glossary of A/V Terms:

"EDTV: EDTV stands for extended definition television and is a class of digital television (DTV) that refers to the 480p format. 480p is a progressive scan video format that produces a full frame of 480 lines of video."

Note that A/V industry guru Joe Kane uses the term HERE:

The next step up would be Improved Definition (IDTV). We'd put 480p into that category. The next step up would be Extended Definition (EDTV). It would include a range from 540p, to say 720p, encompassing a progressive version of PAL and 1080i. Near the top quality category would be High Definition (HDTV).

Joe kane not professional enough? How about this definition provided by ATIS (Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions):

extended-definition television (EDTV): Television in which (a) improvements are made to the standard National Television System Committee (NTSC) television system, (b) the improvements are receiver-compatible with the standard NTSC television system, and (c) the improvements modify the standard NTSC television system emission standards. Note 1: EDTV improvements may include (a) a wider aspect ratio, (b) a higher picture definition than NTSC definition, and (c) any of the improvements used in improved-definition television (IDTV). Note 2: When EDTV signals are transmitted in the 4:3 aspect ratio, it is referred to as "EDTV." When transmitted in a wider aspect ratio, it is referred to as "EDTV-Wide."

("Over 1,100 industry professionals from more than 350 communications companies actively participate in ATIS’ 22 industry committees.")

Or we could jump over to the on-line encyclopedia resource Wikipedia which starts its article on EDTV with this:

Enhanced-definition television, extended-definition television, or EDTV is a CEA marketing shorthand term for certain television formats.

These references (and there are many more) would seem to belie the idea that "There is no such thing as extended definition, and is not an industry known or followed term," wouldn't it? ;)

Anyway, no big deal of course. The terms "enhanced" and "extended" have been used
to describe EDTV for quite a while.

Cheers!

Rich H

post #84 of 84 Old 03-12-2006, 01:48 PM

I bought a pioneer PDP-4214HD. I have my settings at 50% and color temp on mid picture looks good, but looking for suggestions on my settings.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page