AVS Forum banner

2016 LG OLEDs - G6, E6, C6, and B6

1M views 13K replies 1K participants last post by  Serenity 
#1 · (Edited)
Didn't see a thread on these yet, but since they've been announced, here's the link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016/01/05/here-all-lgs-2016-tvs/78306818/

The big news:

All apparently have the same picture quality, so you don't have to pay more for thin design or built-in speakers to get what really matters.

All have 10-bit panels.

All meet UHD Premium specs.

All support HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

The big differences all come down to curved vs flat and design, with the G6 and E6 having built-in Harman-Kardon sound bars, the G6 being a single pane of glass design, the C6 being curved, and the B6 being flat (the B6 also deletes 3D support).

The G6 is available in 77" and 65" sizes, the others appear to be available in 65" and 55" sizes.

Pictures:

G6 Series:

E6 Series:

C6 Series:

B6 Series:

See less See more
#6,250 · (Edited)
What I found interesting is the suggestion to have a 4 hour manual cycle and a timer to schedule the manual comps. One thing I have discovered is if you go into SM and change the auto comp cycle from 4 hours to 0 hours, you can run as many bach to back auto cycles, and it does improve the screen. Last night I tried it after watching a fairly long movie. After the first cycle, I put up the slides and could still see the faint letterbox outline. Actually what I see is the area between the letterbox bars is slightly brighter because that was the area where the pixels were firing. Turned tv off again, and ran a second auto cycle. Turned it back on, and the slides were perfect. I doubt setting auto cycle to zero will cause any issues, since most people have their tv's on for more than 2 hours at a time.

#6,252 ·
What I found interesting is the suggestion to have a 4 hour manual cycle and a timer to schedule the manual comps. One thing I have discovered is if you go into SM and change the auto comp cycle from 4 hours to 0 hours, you can run as many bach to back auto cycles, and it does improve the screen. Last night I tried it after watching a fairly long movie. After the first cycle, I put up the slides and could still see the faint letterbox outline. Turned tv off again, and ran a second auto cycle. Turned it back on, and the slides were perfect.
Im afraid to run the manual cycle on mine since I only have 430 hours lol how many hours do you have on yours wx?

#6,267 · (Edited)
At some point it becomes pot stirring whatever you want to call it first it was the 9100 owners thread then ressurection of multiple dead threads now it is an unrelenting barrage of cherry picking amazon reviews, other reviews? Snipping excerpts from reviews with the intention of distorting the overall tone of the review. It is ridiculous behavior imo

Oled is not for you we get that stating something over and over speaks of desperation or perhaps something else.

#6,288 ·
You mean 1 column of one pixel width on the right? That's odd?

But underscan is as bad as overscan. Are the OLED TV able to display 2160p source in pixel to pixel perfect scaling (1:1) or not?

From the user guide, the "Just Scan" option sounds like that is 1:1 option right there?

Anyone?

#6,310 ·
Hello all.

Warden here from Toronto.

Picked up my OLED55B6P yesterday afternoon. My BDI TV mount had it challenges so I did not get much testing done but was very impressed with the few Bluray playback I feed it.(Martian/Star Wars VII/Criminal (an amazing BD demo for PQ with Kevin Costner).

Any other OLED55B6 with a Panasonic DMP-UB900 out there. I read in a Forbes review the Panny would not recognize the OLED55B6 as a HDR capable display although having done so on the other 2016 OLED models. Would this be firmware from either side?

Also I had problems connecting my 55B6P to my router. I tried WiFi and Wired.Any tricks?

Lastly I was curious what any other users felt about this models performance with Next Gen Game Consoles Xbox One / PS4. Is the input lag that bad? I would not classify myself as a hardcore/gamer certainly not "professional"...as some reviews claim. I like Halo/FPS/Racing. Is the input lag of the E6P that much less?

Thanks WARDEN

#6,323 ·
Do any of you guys notice the 3.0 port is looser then the 2.0 ports?
Thought your question was odd, but tried it out myself on my C6P. The 3.0 port is looser but similar to USB ports on PC's. The 2.0 port are almost too tight! I have a 3ft extension cable to my 3.0 port so it's easy to add/remove USB sticks without trying to reach around and get to the connector.

#6,314 · (Edited)
Show of hands: for those who upgraded from EF9500 to B6/C6, was it worth it?

Is there a survey out there?

I have an EF9500 with an OK screen (shown elsewhere on this forum) - some banding mildly noticeable during soccer but not football or most other places; typical black crush; and minimal color stains. Considering returning it for C6 (or possibly a B6 since I prefer flat but like 3D) for an extra $1000. What do you think?

Also, for those who moved to a C6, did you get used to the curve? My usual seat is 7 feet away at a 45 degree angle from the screen (one reason I moved to OLED) so I'm thinking that there may be too much distortion from there. In the store, I noticed some distortion while watching football, given all the straight lines on the field..

Thanks for your help.

#6,318 ·
Is there a survey out there?

I have an EF9500 with an OK screen (shown elsewhere on this forum) - some banding mildly noticeable during soccer but not football or most other places; typical black crush; and minimal color stains. Considering returning it for C6 (or possibly a B6 since I prefer flat but like 3D) for an extra $1000. What do you think?

Also, for those who moved to a C6, did you get used to the curve? My usual seat is 7 feet away at a 45 degree angle from the screen (one reason I moved to OLED) so I'm thinking that there may be too much distortion from there. In the store, I noticed some distortion while watching football, given all the straight lines on the field..

Thanks for your help.
I still have my 9500 upstairs in a bright room. I have an E6 in a dark room. The E6/B6/C6 are basically the same. If you like watching movies in a dark room, the 2016 models are a lot better than the 9500. No near black banding. It makes a big difference in a dark room. Plus throw in better HDR controls and DV HDR, the new models are a no brainer.

#6,324 ·
I also wanted a flat panel, but I reluctantly went with the curved since it has the 3D option (which works exceptionally well). The curve on the LGs is minimal and less than other brands that have curved sets. I'm happy I got it and don't notice any distortion.

#6,331 ·
I was watching 007 Spectre earlier and noticed the black background in the meteorite scene (chapter 21), had very poor uniformity unless I adjust brightness to a point where I'm crushing blends pretty hard.

Does anyone else notice something similar on this scene? I have about 6 days left in my return window and I'm still having some doubts about the near black performance. I've read others say the blu-ray looks great, but I've noticed a great many blu-rays that show issues, so I'm wondering if I got a bum panel.

Whether it's the fault of the source material or not, if movies that are reviewed very well for video (like Spectre or Interstellar) show fairly significant issues, perhaps I should move away from oled technology.

#6,333 · (Edited)
I was reading this forum a couple weeks ago and people were complaining about variable input lag in ps4 games. They said it was rather unplayable and often felt like 100+ ms instead of 30-40. Has there been any firmware updates that made C6 ps4 gaming viable with no noticeable input lag? I play tons of ps4 games some competitively and will not deal with input lag. These tv's are rated the best at everything except input lag. I would be buying the C6. Thx.

#6,335 ·
I still haven't watch Interstellar on my 111FD... how have I not done that yet? I think maybe I wanted to do some voltage tweaks and make the blacks a little better first, but I am not going to be able to do that for the near future and my blacks still look quite black most of the time. Maybe I'll watch it in the day with the shades down. They look perfect in that setting.

And I certainly hope Interstellar doesn't look too bad on OLED because it will be one of the first I watch when I get mine

#6,337 ·
It looks amazing 98% of the movie, but just a few scenes of almost entirely black space (as they pass by Saturn before they go through the wormhole comes to mind) where the black background becomes almost speckled with noise (similar to my issue with Spectre listed above). I checked on my 111 and there was no speckled noise effect, but the kuro doesn't get to the absolute black that the oled does. I'm assuming it's the oled getting to true black that exposes these flaws, but I don't know.

To be honest, it can be distracting coming from a vt60 and 111 kuro before, as I've never noticed any weird symptoms like that on those panels

#6,343 ·
Verticle bands would drive me crazy. Only anomaly I find in the slides is on one of the flashing bars, somewhere around 20-21, has a partial column of pixels that goes total black and then will turn grey again.

#6,347 ·
So...I'm having some issues (probably user error) with 4k HDR UHD playback.

I have an LG E6, and bought the new Xbox S for the 4k player. Now, is there some setting I need to toggle to get movies to display in 4k HDR? The LG TV always tells me "HDR content playing" or something like it when I watch netflix/amazon in hdr/dolbyvision, and the settings menu changes when in HDR mode. It isn't doing it when I play a 4k disk on the xbox.

What am I doing wrong?