AVS Forum banner

Wait for B6 OLED or EF9500 now!!

8K views 66 replies 48 participants last post by  dea106 
#1 ·
Other than HDR certification what the difference? Will picture quality be the same ?

#5 ·
There is plenty to read in existing threads...that's just about all they talk about in the "2016 LG OLED" thread (and most guesses are just that: guesses).

#6 ·
I'm in the same boat as OP.

My plan is to just wait for the next EF9500 price drop. The only 2016 panel I would consider getting is the B6, but it's not due till later in the year, and I don't want to wait that long.

The EF9500 already supports HDR, plus I get to keep the 3D feature. Add that to what's sure to be a substantial price difference, and I think it only makes sense to stick with the EF9500, at least if you're looking to upgrade now or the near future.

#8 ·
My gut feeling is the panels are the same for 2015 and 2016 since I assume they roll off the same assembly line. The differences are going to be in the circuitry driving the panels. I may be mistaken.

I would guess the image quality will be the same. I think the only big difference is the 2016s can process Dolby HDR.

Nope, LG engineers have talked about using different phosphors to achieve greater brightness, longer life, and increased color gamut in the 2016 models.

#10 ·
Only very marginally so and only in the case of HDR (Rec.709 Blurays will look identical as far as color accuracy).

Any improvements in near-black uniformity and resolution are likely to be far more important that the incremental improvements in eithe wide color gamut or brightness (at least for those of us who enjoy OLEDs perfect blacks in a dark viewing environment ;)).

#16 ·
Until the B6 is released, there's really no way to know what the changes are, but I think a lot of the holdouts (like myself) are waiting to see whether they've improved the vignetting issue with the 2016 models (and, perhaps to a lesser extent, improved QC around the yellow/pink color-banding issue), since that was the largest complaint with the EF9500/EG9600 series. Outside of those fixes (if they're present), my guess is that the 2016 models will only be incremental updates to the 2015 models, just as we've seen in years past with plasma and LCD screens. I don't think there will be any revolutionary changes in picture quality year-over-year.

#18 ·
Im waiting, why rush into it now and regret it later! Not hardly any UHDs out worth purchasing, plus prices will come down imo in 2 yrs! Its not like most people will be running out buying a UHD player.

Tv tech, is always improved overtime! OLED is to new, to the consumer market imo.

#19 ·
Right now the common street price for the 65EF9500 is around $4999 and the 55EF9500 is $2999, well off their MSRP's of $5999 and $3999 respectively. How much should we reasonably expect them to go down as the 2016 models come on market? I've seen the 2015 models in person and love the way the picture looks even though the 2016 will be better I'd be happy getting a good deal on the 2015 model and get it sooner.

#20 ·
Suppose B6 will have only incrementally better PQ but still not a perfect uniformity given that they have not achieved it by now and some comments made by LG at CES. The question is are you willing to wait till B6 is released and possibly longer till it's price discounted. I can still return my EF9500 but will keep it as I really enjoy it now.

#24 ·
I'm in same boat considering these two for my parents' new home AV buildout and wish the 2016 55" models were out. 2015 OLED issues notwithstanding, reviews here and elsewhere clearly indicate that the EF9500 /EG9600 have about the best PQ of any TV ever made in the history of TV's, which may just be good enough.

#25 ·
I'm waiting, as I refuse to play the "panel lottery" when spending thousands of dollars. I want to be assured that the issues have been worked out.

And, as others have said, the amount of 4k media out there is minuscule. I've survived with my plasma for 2.5 years at this point - what's another few months?

#41 ·
I'm debating between 65ef9500 and e6. I can get ef9500 really cheap with employee dc. But I have to order it online and worried about lottery panel. If I wait 1 year then I can probably get e6 for the same price. I need a TV to use it for now, so I'm still deciding if I should pull the trigger now or buy something in $1500 range(uf7700 or uf9500) and get e6 next year.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#42 ·
I'm also debating in the same way. I am looking for a wall mountable OLED TV.
B6, E6 or EF9500?
Do I need 3D or not?
Will my budget be enough for a 65" or 55"?

Since I am in Switzerland I still need to wait for pricing.

I don't want a soundbar since I will have a third party one. And the E6 seems to have a sound bar. Maybe this soundbar is removable, but I don't want to pay for something I will not use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.