Longevity of the OLED TVs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By 5x10
  • 1 Post By video_analysis
  • 2 Post By JerryNY
  • 1 Post By video_analysis
post #1 of 9 Unread 02-11-2016, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Longevity of the OLED TVs

Per LG rep at CES, one of the stated benefits of the 2016 LG models is improved longevity of the phosphorus. I seen so far one report by an EF9500 owner that has seen his screen developing major uniformity issues at 700 hours and he now got 3 dead pixels. I am still within return window for my EF9500 but I was planning to keep it as I don't want to wait till next holiday season to buy a 6B model at a reasonable price. I hope if my EF9500 starts loosing phosphorus I will see it before 1 year of the warranty expires and will be able to have LG authorize a return. But if it happens after 1 year I may be out of luck. How long OLED panel should last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Unread 02-11-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 370
3k hours on my lg9800 and nothing seems to have changed
Uniformity is the same, same stuck sub pixels
DrBoogie likes this.
post #3 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Don't let an anecdote scare you away. I've got a 9500 at almost 1100 hours and no dead pixels with uniformity roughly the same as it was at inception.

30k hours to half-brightness is the LG estimate by which we're abiding.
Stanton likes this.
post #4 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Don't let an anecdote scare you away. I've got a 9500 at almost 1100 hours and no dead pixels with uniformity roughly the same as it was at inception.

30k hours to half-brightness is the LG estimate by which we're abiding.
Wow. 30k hrs half life ain't bad. Especially if you use sane brightness levels you can always boost it a little over the years to compensate as long as the phosphors degrade evenly over time. I think I read LG uses white OLED's and filters so that should promote even burn-in over time. I remember when I was shopping for my Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK plasma and it seemed people were worried about burn-in and half life and 60k hours projected lifespan. 10 years of everyday use, many hours every day, and the thing still looks great. It's a different technology to be sure but I've learned to chill out about these things, especially since a good tv will probably live long enough for you to wish it would die for an excuse to replace it
DrBoogie and video_analysis like this.
post #5 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 12:30 PM

To be specific, they also use RGB OLED components, but the aging is mitigated with the addition of said white material and the filter.

post #6 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
To be specific, they also use RGB OLED components, but the aging is mitigated with the addition of said white material and the filter.
There is no white material.

100% of the panel is a stack of RGB material.

25% is filtered back to red
25% is filtered back to green
25% is filtered back to blue
25% is unfiltered and is white

There is no white material.

With HDMI cables, if you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. Also, while anecdote is the "singular of data" your personal anecdote isn't data. When you conflate your anecdote with data and then decide someone else's anecdote isn't data, you earn a place on my ignore list.
post #7 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 05:25 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. It's not obvious based on the diagram that there isn't some kind of concomitant white material formed by RGB as noted by those vertical columns of RGB and W.
rogo likes this.
post #8 of 9 Unread Today, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I find 30K to half life, i.e. half brightness, a little low. I'd like to see it get to at least 50K and preferably 100K. I do expect them to improve the life quite bit in the coming years.
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I find 30K to half life, i.e. half brightness, a little low. I'd like to see it get to at least 50K and preferably 100K. I do expect them to improve the life quite bit in the coming years.
I'm sure they will. 30k is not bad though. More then 10 years with my use. If it will last that long it will probably be long replaced by a 77 inch or larger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General