2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18738Likes

post #3361 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 184
x43x and koffeguy,

As a fellow 151 owners (D-Nice Calibrated), how are you finding the motion resolution when watching BluRay?

I hate the soap opera effect so I'm looking for motion results with those features turned off.

Also sounds like the Pro151 and the E6 speakers are a draw. 151 wins the surround effect while E6 wins due to better bass reproduction. Does that seem right?

Now we need a G6 owners to compare the audio of a 151 to the G6 soundbar!

I'd hate to buy a TV that looks good on static shots but loses it's quality when things move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Fast panning hockey will obviously be your friend. Why are you not trying for an exchange through Best Buy? You think this will be too futile?
A Best Buy exchange too futile or the technician? Depends, the main reason I don't want to deal with them is that I am 90% sure their system flagged me last year, when I went through 3 lower end models, before spending $8,000 on a 75X940C from them for my Living Room. At the time they gave me no warning about multiple returns, and kept stating their TV satisfaction guarantee. I bought the E6 from a different Best Buy, so I suppose I could always try for an exchange and if they say no, I go through LG. The question then becomes, do I roll the dice with a G6 if they will let me exchange it. It turns into an ugly never ending cycle it seems.
post #3363 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My E6 has no vignetting or even banding that I saw in the AVS slides. I'm coming from an EF9500 that had it real bad and it was just so distracting. It also seems there is a good deal more brightness with this one vs. the EF9500. Certainly enough to be noticable.
RDalton likes this.

post #3364 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
That's likely what I will get. How many hour long cycles have you ran? I wonder if it would be wise to run it right away, or let it run the normal 10 minute cycles.
I only ran 1 hour long cycle at about 40 hours. I have around 65 hours on it now, and there have been 7 or 8 auto cycles.
post #3365 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3267 Post(s)
Liked: 2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
A Best Buy exchange too futile or the technician? Depends, the main reason I don't want to deal with them is that I am 90% sure their system flagged me last year, when I went through 3 lower end models, before spending $8,000 on a 75X940C from them for my Living Room. At the time they gave me no warning about multiple returns, and kept stating their TV satisfaction guarantee. I bought the E6 from a different Best Buy, so I suppose I could always try for an exchange and if they say no, I go through LG. The question then becomes, do I roll the dice with a G6 if they will let me exchange it. It turns into an ugly never ending cycle it seems.
Best Buy (I've only ever exchanged one TV with them, and it was the EF9500 via RMA). And yes, it is is a trap. I think most 65" will still show some faint banding on IRE 5% that may or may not show up in the rare content, and I'm not convinced the G6 will be any different. I also think you'll have to be pretty lucky to get one with none whatsoever.
post #3366 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
From whom did you purchase again? If you have the avenue, it's usually easier to deal with your original retailer. You may have more trouble convincing LG of a defect since they have recently made it difficult for owners with 9500 issues to send their own evidence (they no longer accept photos since some have abused the tactic by grabbing photos off the Internet).
I have purchased mine through BB. The store is minutes from my house.

-Koffeegy

LG 65E6P - Pioneer PRO-151FD - Pioneer SC-05 - SONOS Soundbars/Play 3's/Play 5's/Play 1's/Subwoffers - Panasonic 58VT25 - PlayStation 3 - PlayStation 4
post #3367 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
x43x and koffeguy,

As a fellow 151 owners (D-Nice Calibrated), how are you finding the motion resolution when watching BluRay?

I hate the soap opera effect so I'm looking for motion results with those features turned off.

Also sounds like the Pro151 and the E6 speakers are a draw. 151 wins the surround effect while E6 wins due to better bass reproduction. Does that seem right?

I'd hate to buy a TV that looks good on static shots but loses it's quality when things move.
The motion is not an issue for me. I can not stand the "soap opera" effect and all of this can be fixed in the settings, as I had turned off the "True Motion". Life as we see it has a natural blur to objects moving and that is how I like to watch my content. Some people don't like that aspect, so to each is their own.

As far as the audio goes, I use a Sonos system and have not tried the soundbar.

The best advice I can give you is to go see with your own eyes at a local store. The reps at the BB I went to were more than willing to hook up a Bluray player and play with the motion settings. Again, I do not regret my choice.

-Koffeegy

LG 65E6P - Pioneer PRO-151FD - Pioneer SC-05 - SONOS Soundbars/Play 3's/Play 5's/Play 1's/Subwoffers - Panasonic 58VT25 - PlayStation 3 - PlayStation 4
post #3368 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffeegy View Post
I have purchased mine through BB. The store is minutes from my house.
Well, the first 15 days (or 45 if you're an Elite Plus member) with BB will make for an easier exchange process in the event of a problem that you otherwise might not notice until after the return period expires. It's your decision ultimately as to how deeply you want to check.
post #3369 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4536 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1612 View Post
My E6 has no vignetting or even banding that I saw in the AVS slides. I'm coming from an EF9500 that had it real bad and it was just so distracting. It also seems there is a good deal more brightness with this one vs. the EF9500. Certainly enough to be noticable.
55 or 65 inch?
post #3370 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
isnt there an issue w audio sync w Sonos?
post #3371 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karos View Post
Specific to OLED? Not that I am aware of. There is a delay setting though in the Sonos control panel to try to fix lip-sync issues. I sold the Playbar I had, because the speakers in the 75X940C sounded better.
post #3372 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karos View Post
Mine works fine. No issues here.

-Koffeegy

post #3373 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
x43x and koffeguy,

I have the same TV & also calibrated by D-Nice.

I did the same thing as the other poster & turned off the Tru-Motion.

The motion doesn't bother me on the OLED. The closest thing I've seen to Plasma.

The picture on the display is amazing. Colors are so much more vibrant & the blacks are incredible.

I didn't think I would like 3D that much but I've been buying several 3D titles & it is incredible. No cross talk & the blacks with the vibrant colors make the 3D.

I also didn't know how much I would like 4K UHD but I've been buying titles like crazy. It's hard to go back to Blu-Ray. Amazon & Netflix streaming with HDR or Dolby Vision is incredible.

I have the G6 by the way. I didn't have the sound bar set up on my Pioneer Elite so I can't compare the sound to the G6. I rarely use the soundbar on the G6. I have the sound running thru my home theater speakers.

I had mine calibrated by David Mackenzie at Value Electronics before shipping. I'm really glad I did.
post #3374 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Played with our new 65" E6 for a while this weekend. Swapped from a Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma. So far very satisfied.
Samsung K8500 -> Denon AVR7200WA -> OLED65E6P
  • Purchased LG's TV WallMount with semi articulation out, side to side and up/down as well as 10% leveling control (very nice). Much easier to setup than the giant plasma wallmount I have.
  • TruDramaMotion was a little painful until I figured out how to get picture modes setup.
  • Setup the ISF Dark and Light as per parameters listed in this thread as first step settings.
  • Movies and TV at night look outstanding.
  • During the daytime we have a bay window that I need to find some means of muting or it reflects in 1/3rd of the screen area. Guess I should buy shades though I was hoping electric shades would be cheaper sometime soon.
  • No initial issues seen watching off-angle 4k youtube or hockey or even off-angle hockey, though I believe at least one comp cycle ran before I tried hockey.
  • There may be some extra blue in some of the modes. Guessing I should get the TV professionally color calibrated after it is somewhat broken in. I see that BB currently has a $100 calibration though the reviews on said GeekSquad calibration specifically call it out as worthless for OLED TV's either due to equipment or inadequate training. Anyone think the BB TV cal is worth $100?
  • Played a 3d bluray. With the TV tilted down toward the couch I didn't see any obvious issues (though sounds like I should try the Disney 3d check). Standing up I see the 3d start to diverge.
  • Had one issue where the TV detected no signal on HDMI after swapping from AppleTV to 4k BluRay. Off/On the TV and it came back.
  • Trying to figure out how to select the HDMI ARC signal from the TV to the 7200WA for the case of using the TV's netflix/youtube etc. I believe both are plugged into the ARC capable HDMI ports (main monitor on the 7200WA and HDMI2 on the E6). Gonna go search 7200WA forums now.
  • We use OTA into a Tablo'ed DVR. Using the LG web browser to view the streams is so much better than running our Ipad to AppleTV. Also the web browser on the LG is 20X more responsive and less buggy than the IOS Tablo App. Tablo is supposed to have a WebOS3 app out soon, but I'm not sure I need it.
post #3375 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
I have the same TV & also calibrated by D-Nice.

I did the same thing as the other poster & turned off the Tru-Motion.

The motion doesn't bother me on the OLED. The closest thing I've seen to Plasma.

The picture on the display is amazing. Colors are so much more vibrant & the blacks are incredible.

I didn't think I would like 3D that much but I've been buying several 3D titles & it is incredible. No cross talk & the blacks with the vibrant colors make the 3D.

I also didn't know how much I would like 4K UHD but I've been buying titles like crazy. It's hard to go back to Blu-Ray. Amazon & Netflix streaming with HDR or Dolby Vision is incredible.

I have the G6 by the way. I didn't have the sound bar set up on my Pioneer Elite so I can't compare the sound to the G6. I rarely use the soundbar on the G6. I have the sound running thru my home theater speakers.

I had mine calibrated by David Mackenzie at Value Electronics before shipping. I'm really glad I did.
Maybe you've answered this question, but any banding during hockey in ISF Bright Room or Dark Room on your G6? Usually shows up on ice shots on the right of the center of the screen when the puck is passed long and the camera fast pans from left to right or right to left. It will help me to internally rationalize if I want to try to move up to the G6 from the E6. There are 2 games on tonight, Blues and Stars at 7:20ish CST on NBCSN and then CNBC for Sharks and Predators at 8:20ish CST. Thanks!
post #3376 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Finally going in on the E6 tomorrow. Pricey but just too tempting pass up. Will post my thoughts once hooked up.
post #3377 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 706
I remember someone saying there is going to be an software update on may 12th . is this true?
post #3378 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
I remember someone saying there is going to be an software update on may 12th . is this true?
That's the rumor. Supposedly, from VIP support.
post #3379 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 494
There should be an Official Kuro Owners who are now 2016 LG OLED Owners Thread...

Motion was my biggest concern getting into the OLED game. Out of the box with the default settings there was SOE. Some of the picture presets default with TruMotion on in varying degrees of severity. Dolby Vision content defaulted to TruMotion Clear and was soap opera extreme.

I've played around with TruMotion on and off and when it's off, there is blur on some content. Enough blur that it bothers my eyes, and more than my 151FD. I have since turned TruMotion to User and adjusted the De-Blur to my liking. It's currently set at 7. De-Jutter is set to 0. To my eyes, this gives the most plasma like motion while minimizing soap opera effect. Another thing that I think helps minimize the SOE is to turn off all the edge enhancements and artificial sharpening which even the ISF picture modes default to turning on. While that stuff can create a more 3D like image by artificially separating objects from the background, during motion it tends to exasperate the SOE.

I know many Kuro owners are apprehensive giving up their beloved set and I was one of them. But the allure of 4K and UHD was strong. Even after ordering and playing the waiting game I was second guessing my decision since I was still watching the Pioneer thinking "how could it be better than this?" Well, it is. Everything I've watching since entering in the calibration settings has been extraordinary and I don't regret my decision at all. It is sad that I don't have the room to keep the Kuro since it still functions beautifully and has treated me well the past 7 years, but hopefully it goes to a good home for the remainder of its life.

LG OLED65E6P - Rotel 1572 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, DS3 - ML Depthi - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler

x43x.com
post #3380 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Loving My 65E6!

Great to hear of others chiming in on the forum now that also love their 65E6! I was able to spend a little more time with mine over the weekend since my install last Wednesday. I’ve got to say, this is the television that I’ve always wanted (and that’s coming from someone who owned a Kuro). I just can’t imagine a TV having better image quality, it’s truly amazing!
It took a little while for me to get to this point after several troublesome 9500’s (I’ve never returned a TV in my life before the 9500’s), and now I’m stunned at how much better the E6 is. The colors seem richer, the image seems clearer and much brighter, no banding, and 3D just makes my jaw hit the floor. Images in dim scenes that were so awful on my 9500 are great on my E6!! I’ve got about 30 hours on mine now, and all I can think about is getting back to it to watch something else. I think I’m going to end up re-watching some of the things I watched on my 9500 on the E6, it’s an incredible set. Just a drop-dead gorgeous image and the set itself looks like a piece of art. This set is a real winner in my book!
shyguy3763, 10k, drewTT and 1 others like this.
post #3381 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 706
how come there are no professional reviews of the 65 inch e6 yet?
post #3382 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Has anyone calibrated (or had their display calibrated) to confirm if the CMS controls are working correctly? I know the CMS controls on the past LG OLED's were basically non-existent due to errors when adjusted.
post #3383 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratch42 View Post
Played with our new 65" E6 for a while this weekend. Swapped from a Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma. So far very satisfied.
Samsung K8500 -> Denon AVR7200WA -> OLED65E6P
  • Purchased LG's TV WallMount with semi articulation out, side to side and up/down as well as 10% leveling control (very nice). Much easier to setup than the giant plasma wallmount I have.
  • TruDramaMotion was a little painful until I figured out how to get picture modes setup.
  • Setup the ISF Dark and Light as per parameters listed in this thread as first step settings.
  • Movies and TV at night look outstanding.
  • During the daytime we have a bay window that I need to find some means of muting or it reflects in 1/3rd of the screen area. Guess I should buy shades though I was hoping electric shades would be cheaper sometime soon.
  • No initial issues seen watching off-angle 4k youtube or hockey or even off-angle hockey, though I believe at least one comp cycle ran before I tried hockey.
  • There may be some extra blue in some of the modes. Guessing I should get the TV professionally color calibrated after it is somewhat broken in. I see that BB currently has a $100 calibration though the reviews on said GeekSquad calibration specifically call it out as worthless for OLED TV's either due to equipment or inadequate training. Anyone think the BB TV cal is worth $100?
  • Played a 3d bluray. With the TV tilted down toward the couch I didn't see any obvious issues (though sounds like I should try the Disney 3d check). Standing up I see the 3d start to diverge.
  • Had one issue where the TV detected no signal on HDMI after swapping from AppleTV to 4k BluRay. Off/On the TV and it came back.
  • Trying to figure out how to select the HDMI ARC signal from the TV to the 7200WA for the case of using the TV's netflix/youtube etc. I believe both are plugged into the ARC capable HDMI ports (main monitor on the 7200WA and HDMI2 on the E6). Gonna go search 7200WA forums now.
  • We use OTA into a Tablo'ed DVR. Using the LG web browser to view the streams is so much better than running our Ipad to AppleTV. Also the web browser on the LG is 20X more responsive and less buggy than the IOS Tablo App. Tablo is supposed to have a WebOS3 app out soon, but I'm not sure I need it.
Definitely pass on the Best Buy calibration. Get it pro calibrated by an expert.
shyguy3763 likes this.

LG OLED65E6 | ARC DSi200 | Dynaudio Special Forty | Oppo UDP-205 | Maingear Drift GTX 1080 HTPC | audioquest CV-8 - Carbon - Columbia | BDI Mirage 8227 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K
post #3384 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4536 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Definitely pass on the Best Buy calibration. Get it pro calibrated by an expert.
I agree. BB limits their calibrators to be at your house for only 2 hours. That includes the time it takes to set up, and tear down. So at most, they spend about 1 1/2 hours calibrating the tv. I even had the BB rep tell me to pass on their calibration.
post #3385 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Has anyone calibrated (or had their display calibrated) to confirm if the CMS controls are working correctly? I know the CMS controls on the past LG OLED's were basically non-existent due to errors when adjusted.
The CMS is still flawed (same was true of the Kuro ) but not particularly needed to get a stellar result.
post #3386 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3032 Post(s)
Liked: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1612 View Post
My E6 has no vignetting or even banding that I saw in the AVS slides.
Northing wrong with that
post #3387 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
The CMS is still flawed (same was true of the Kuro ) but not particularly needed to get a stellar result.
Gotcha. And very understandable. Didn't touch the CMS on my EC9300 and it's colors are almost spot-on from the factory. Just curious.
post #3388 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratch42 View Post
Anyone think the BB TV cal is worth $100?
Do yourself a favor and contact Avical to see when they might be up in your area. They are based in LA and David travels so you might get lucky.

LG OLED65E6P - Rotel 1572 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, DS3 - ML Depthi - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler

x43x.com
post #3389 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
There should be an Official Kuro Owners who are now 2016 LG OLED Owners Thread...
YES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
I know many Kuro owners are apprehensive giving up their beloved set and I was one of them. But the allure of 4K and UHD was strong. Even after ordering and playing the waiting game I was second guessing my decision since I was still watching the Pioneer thinking "how could it be better than this?" Well, it is. Everything I've watching since entering in the calibration settings has been extraordinary and I don't regret my decision at all. It is sad that I don't have the room to keep the Kuro since it still functions beautifully and has treated me well the past 7 years, but hopefully it goes to a good home for the remainder of its life.
Hi x43x,

Boy, you are making it hard for us current Pio owners to pass up pulling the trigger on an E6 or G6!! I was watching something last night and the picture on my 151 was very good and I had EXACTLY the same thought as you: how could it be any better? I did see the older LG models in BB for a little bit a few weeks ago and was just blown away by the blacks and that was in a well lit showroom. So I'm still sitting on the fence but since I have a couple of trips planned for the summer I would not even consider doing anything until the fall. Maybe by then the prices will come down a bit. I also would not have room for the Pio if I get the LG but may have a buyer for it.

We shall see!!!

Gerry
shyguy3763 and x43x like this.
post #3390 of 19694 Old 05-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I think I'm getting close to biting the bullet and getting one of these. Again, sorry if this isn't the place. What's the running price of the set, and what price should I "try" to get within reason? Looking to buy within a month or two.

-Vader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page