AVS Forum banner

2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread

2M views 24K replies 1K participants last post by  cxqoled2032 
#1 ·
Folks...
Here it is - my OLED65G6P - Took a few hours to bring it in and semi mount it (Hope LG had better instructions)...
I owned a EF9500 for some time and the sound of thisTV is definitely better...
Posting some pictures here.... and sorry I cannot answer many questions and will do my best as I will not be playing with it until the weekend.

See less See more
#16,184 ·
What a awesome experience watching this TV. Just received my OLED65G6P from HH Gregg today. Spent several hours doing comparisons between the LG and my 60" Panasonic ZT. It's amazing how far LG has advanced picture quality. The ZT was considered the best in it's time, but the difference between the two is night and day. Black levels and colors are outstanding on the LG. Watching the 4K UHD of "The Shallows" or "The Martian" was breathtaking. If your on the fence about purchasing this years OLED's I would highly recommend you go for it.
Totally agree. The great thing is that with some tweaking you can basically get these 2016 models to really, really look fantastic. Sure, every year they make improvements but that'll never change in this fast-moving industry. I can recommend my 2016 E6 with 100% confidence that whomever buys one will love it. :D

#16,186 ·
What a awesome experience watching this TV. Just received my OLED65G6P from HH Gregg today. Spent several hours doing comparisons between the LG and my 60" Panasonic ZT. It's amazing how far LG has advanced picture quality. The ZT was considered the best in it's time, but the difference between the two is night and day. Black levels and colors are outstanding on the LG.
It is amazing......I remember the first day I fired up the 55" 1080P OLED that cost our company $7200....lol

#16,187 · (Edited)
Will be interesting to know if they did the HDR tweak suggested in another thread. That would be adjusting value code 127 for HDR10 mode.
Wxman, that code value 127 tweak is not needed if all of the HDR gray scale is balanced and the brightness is set correctly. I believe that VE does all these tweaks. You really need to be careful about randomly raising any of the rgb on 127. On my E6, if I raise Red just one click in the 127, I get a faint red hue in the lower ire's. Also, again depending on the set, raising the RGB on the first three code values can negatively impact the near black detail by creating artifacts with some HDR content. They are hard to see but once you do see them, it's hard to ignore because the colors are not correct. You may have been "lucky" because it worked on your set but they are all not the same.

#16,188 · (Edited)
Wxman, that code value 127 tweak is not needed if all of the HDR gray scale is balanced, the brightness is set correctly and you use a 0% black level offset that Chadb recommended. I believe that VE does all these tweaks. You really need to be careful about randomly raising any of the rgb on 127. On my E6, if I raise Red just one click in the 127, I get a faint red hue in the lower ire's. Also, again depending on the set, raising the RGB on the first three code values can negatively impact the near black detail. You may have been "lucky" because it worked on your set but they are all not the same.
I don't raise it. I actually lowered 127 RGB to -1, -1, -1. Raised brightness to 58, and the picture looks much better than HDR Standard without the adjustment with brightness of 52. Others have had similar results. Detail is better, and there is more depth to the picture. Night and day difference. This is on an uncalibrated tv. IMO, HDR10 OOTB is not set correctly.

#16,189 ·
I was watching "Arrival" and the black levels were absolutely horrid.
I read in a few of the reviews of this particular title that the black levels were off. That particular part of the problem could be a mastering or disc authoring issue. The rest doesn't sound good, though... :(

#16,190 ·
I read in a few of the reviews of this particular title that the black levels were off. That particular part of the problem could be a mastering or disc authoring issue. The rest doesn't sound good, though... :(
Here is a review of that movie. The reviewer has an E6.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/40818/arrival.html

From the author

"When I saw 'Arrival' theatrically, I was mid-review on the excellent LG E6 OLED UHD TV and coming off an afternoon spent in my local Dolby Cinema. It goes without saying that the black levels, color qualities, and contrast capabilities on both are divine. Stepping into a conventional digital cinema for 'Arrival', I was met with muddy black levels and poor contrast. At the time, I ascribed my impressions to my particular cinema, even snarking about it on Facebook.

Turns out this is exactly how the filmmakers want 'Arrival' to look.

Or at least that's what I'm going to assume because the Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray presentations replicate my theatrical experience almost exactly. For this Blu-ray -- encoded in AVC MPEG-4 and framed in the film's original 2.39:1 aspect ratio -- you get what's at best described as good picture quality. Images are sharp and focused at times -- particularly the military gear, wide shots, costumes and skin textures -- and there are a good amount of details hidden in the shadows.

However, much like the theatrical experience, 'Arrival' features an unsaturated color palette (save for the occasional pop of the hazmat suits and Montana landscapes) alongside muddy contrast and black levels that are barely hit deep gray, especially when considered next to the pure blacks of the letterboxing. There are also touches of banding here and there."

#16,191 ·
Yep, this was limited to Arrival...black levels are still good.

Update on the TV: I called Magnolia warranty line yesterday and they couldn't find my extended warranty. I told him how much it blew to have spent this much on a TV and have this happen a few days before the big game. He explained what options might be available and followed them with a "so there's pretty much a ZERO PERCENT CHANCE this will be fixed before the Super Bowl". After calling my local MDC and getting the extended warranty invoice ID, I called back three times, waited for an agent for over 10 minutes, then was hung up on each time. What an awful experience! After calling back this morning I got a rep after holding for another 10-15 minutes. He wanted me to walk through basic troubleshooting stuff which I already had. He quickly moved to ordering a new panel, which will be installed on Feb 15. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

BTW, I know I could have gone directly through LG since it was in factory warranty, but didn't know what that might mean for my extended warranty surviving beyond the repair. Anyhow, looks like I'm getting a new panel.

#16,193 ·
Yep, this was limited to Arrival...black levels are still good.

Update on the TV: I called Magnolia warranty line yesterday and they couldn't find my extended warranty. I told him how much it blew to have spent this much on a TV and have this happen a few days before the big game. He explained what options might be available and followed them with a "so there's pretty much a ZERO PERCENT CHANCE this will be fixed before the Super Bowl". After calling my local MDC and getting the extended warranty invoice ID, I called back three times, waited for an agent for over 10 minutes, then was hung up on each time. What an awful experience! After calling back this morning I got a rep after holding for another 10-15 minutes. He wanted me to walk through basic troubleshooting stuff which I already had. He quickly moved to ordering a new panel, which will be installed on Feb 15. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

BTW, I know I could have gone directly through LG since it was in factory warranty, but didn't know what that might mean for my extended warranty surviving beyond the repair. Anyhow, looks like I'm getting a new panel.
BB extended warranty really doesn't kick in until the LG warranty expires. Their warranty states the manufacturer warranty is what they follow the first year.

#16,197 · (Edited)
Finally living again and rehydrating, so thought i'd give some first impressions coming from an EF9500:

• Overall noise looks improved for a cleaner image.
  • Haven't checked uniformity yet, will try and do tonight
  • The Value Electronics calibration on SDR looks great so far
  • On the 2015 trumotion did not really work at all on 60hz because even with DB 10 DJ 2 it may look nice, on many programs it would jerk around and glitch, if you put DJ 0 it was juddery. I basically left Trumotion off for 60hz and just had the 300 lines of motion, and used DJ 2 and DB 10 for 24hz and it worked perfectly. What I see so far is, with TM on, DB 10 and DJ 0, 60hz looks great. This was stated in reviews and I have to agree, its nice getting more like plasma motion without crazy SOE. I tried DJ 2 and it wasn't too soapy on 60hz, but I did see some tearing, so Ill leave it on 0 until I fire up 24hz content.
  • Instead of just have Just Scan now for 1:1 pixel mapping, you have a toggle for it while also being able to select 16:9 or original. I am going to go with Original + Just scan, I like 1:1 pixel mapping and OAR. They also added a pixel shift feature this on this model I guess to deter IR, I remember this from the plasma days and it was basically a placebo, and since my EF9500 never has IR issues like plasma, I cut it off.
  • Ill probably leave ABSL on unless I see it causing problems like on GoT

If I'm up to it tonight, prob gonna watch Deepwater on UHD/HDR, that would be a good first demo.

#16,198 ·
Finally living again and rehydrating, so thought i'd give some first impressions coming from an EF9500:

• Overall noise looks improved for a cleaner image.
  • Haven't checked uniformity yet, will try and do tonight
  • The Value Electronics calibration on SDR looks great so far
  • On the 2015 trumotion did not really work at all on 60hz because even with DB 10 DJ 2 it may look nice, on many programs it would jerk around and glitch, if you put DJ 0 it was juddery. I basically left Trumotion off for 60hz and just had the 300 lines of motion, and used DJ 2 and DB 10 for 24hz and it worked perfectly. What I see so far is, with TM on, DB 10 and DJ 0, 60hz looks great. This was stated in reviews and I have to agree, its nice getting more like plasma motion without crazy SOE. I tried DJ 2 and it wasn't too soapy on 60hz, but I did see some tearing, so Ill leave it on 0 until I fire up 24hz content.
  • Instead of just have Just Scan now for 1:1 pixel mapping, you have a toggle for it while also being able to select 16:9 or original. I am going to go with Original + Just scan, I like 1:1 pixel mapping and OAR. They also added a pixel shift feature this on this model I guess to deter IR, I remember this from the plasma days and it was basically a placebo, and since my EF9500 never has IR issues like plasma, I cut it off.
  • Ill probably leave ABSL on unless I see it causing problems like on GoT

If I'm up to it tonight, prob gonna watch Deepwater on UHD/HDR, that would be a good first demo.
Lucy is stunning on the e6. Definitely a go to show off reference type movie