AVS Forum banner

2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread

2M views 24K replies 1K participants last post by  cxqoled2032 
#1 ·
Folks...
Here it is - my OLED65G6P - Took a few hours to bring it in and semi mount it (Hope LG had better instructions)...
I owned a EF9500 for some time and the sound of thisTV is definitely better...
Posting some pictures here.... and sorry I cannot answer many questions and will do my best as I will not be playing with it until the weekend.

See less See more
#16,423 ·
John Wick UHD Blu-ray was pretty nice. You have some fuzzy shot scenes, but man many of them look great. Audio had my 15's kicking the chair with every gun shot.

Also watched The Accountant, its not really a "looker" because of the way it is shot but it still looked nice, and the audio during the .50 cal shots was ridiculous!

#16,424 ·
John Wick UHD Blu-ray was pretty nice. You have some fuzzy shot scenes, but man many of them look great. Audio had my 15's kicking the chair with every gun shot.

Also watched The Accountant, its not really a "looker" because of the way it is shot but it still looked nice, and the audio during the .50 cal shots was ridiculous!
I couldn't get my Xbox one S to kick in HDR... but it was still enjoyable.

#16,425 ·
I got a copy of Johnk Wick in UHD/HDR. For some reason, playing it back on my Xbox one S does not show the "HDR" pop up. I have tried it plugged into the AVR and TV directly....

It still looks really good though.
I find sometimes the Bluray app on the Xbox gets a little confused as to what it should be showing. A full reboot and turning on and off the TV seems to solve things

#16,426 · (Edited)
The fix is to angle your TV, sit further away, or exchange your TV for one with a better applied 3D filter. Check out page 164 of this thread. There's a good test in there to see where the problem areas of your set are. By the way, do you see ghosting on the menu of Force Awakens? Also, do you own a copy of Dredd? Interested to see if you see any weird reflective flickering in certain shots.
thank you.... although the side by side black and white test only confirmed what I was trying to describe sadly... the bright white areas are obviously my cross talk hot spots. I was dead center up down and left and right for the photo. moving around only makes the dark "wave" slide up or down the screen.

so.. .. I Assume the prognosis isn't good, lmao

I do have Dredd and can test for you, but with my 3D being messed up I assume I should get that fixed first.

Also, I do see ghosting on the text in the main menu of Star Wars. I previously owned a Sony 75x940d and had the same issue. I could test on my 55" LG LCD, but I assume the same will happen with that set too. Part of me thinks they were trying to do a "pushed out" 3D menu with a noticeable "shadow" behind the letters... the other part of me says they simply messed up the menus, ha

#16,427 ·
I said I'd report back about the service call I had from LG this morning. Here are my impressions:

I was pleased with the tech they sent out. He listened and didn't try to gloss over the 3D ghosting problem I'm having with my E6. After I showed him the jpg file that I've attached here, as well as my 3D ghosting torture test disc and a freeze frame from "Mr. Peabody and Sherman," he could see the issue well.

Here's the course of action he suggested:

1. Return the set to Best Buy and get a replacement.
2. If the new set has the same issue, call him immediately (he left his cell number on the back of his card).
3. A more knowledgeable LG engineer will evaluate the second problem and verify it.
4. LG will work with me to resolve the issue to my satisfaction.

I'm going to communicate this conversation with the Best Buy rep at a nearby store. I've worked with him in the past, and I think I can talk to him.

Here's the link to the UHD-resolution jpg test picture. Right click this link and choose, "Save link as..." (This works in Chrome, but it may be slightly different in another browser.) Copy the file into the root of a flash drive and plug the drive into a USB port on the E6. Select the icon (photos and movies) that comes up automatically when you insert such a drive. Select the half white/half black photo. Hit the 3D button on the remote and select the side by side 3D icon (second from the left). Put on the glasses and close your right eye. From the TV's sweet spot (eyes perpendicular to the screen, dead center vertically) you should see a uniform gray screen. If it's splotchy, the light areas show where the screen will ghost. If as is the case with my E6, there's significant ghosting at the top and bottom of the screen at the same time, you'll never see high quality 3D over the whole screen at once. Your FPR is defective.

Here's my 3D ghosting torture test disc.
It's an iso file that can be used to create a standard Blu-ray 3D disc. Burn the Blu-ray disc and put it into a 3D player connected to the E6. It'll start playing 3D automatically. Follow the instructions, and you'll be able to identify 3D ghosting issues with your set.

You can also demonstrate ghosting problems with commercial 3D discs, but it's a lot harder. One thing his supervisor did was to ask the LG tech to try to eliminate ghosting by going to the 3D settings in the TV's menu. The tech may be able to get rid of ghosting in one scene of a movie (or some of these tests), but the controls simply move the ghosting to a different part of the screen. If the ghosting moves to the middle of the screen, where the 3D may be OK, the controls will appear to work. So, the controls may mask ghosting for a particular scene of a particular movie, but the new settings don't fix a bad FPR. Even if this type of adjustment did work for one scene in one movie, it's not realistic to ask people to adjust things constantly as they watch 3D. If a set's FPR is working properly, and you're viewing from the sweet spot, you'll never have to adjust these controls. For the same reasons, if you adjust these controls with an FPR that IS working properly, the set still won't ghost significantly. It may become uncomfortable (or impossible) to watch the 3D, but it won't ghost any more than it always does. (And these sets do ghost. It's just that the ghosting is so light as to be nearly invisible.)

You need to understand how passive 3D works to be able to communicate with a repair tech, but the basics are really simple. If you view from the screen's sweet spot, 3D should always look good on these test patterns. It it's splotchy and uneven, the FPR is bad and your panel will never reproduce consistently good looking 3D video.

Edit: Sorry, the jpg link didn't work initially. It should be OK now. I've verified it's in my Dropbox Public folder.
please see above post by me.... any thoughts.

#16,428 ·
It's unfortunate that a lot of people are having issues with 3D but I would guess that this is just another reason why LG is probably dropping the feature.

#16,429 ·
It's unfortunate that a lot of people are having issues with 3D but I would guess that this is just another reason why LG is probably dropping the feature.
What would you define as alot of people? I have seen widespread praise for 3d on these sets. Have to disagree more of a business decision imo has nothing to do with some inherant flaw.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#16,431 ·
So in the saga of the burnt in panel, the LG "grunts" came round today and switched the old panel for the new one but no one could tell me what month it was made, nor could they reset the total time counter because they "just install and don't have a service remote" which is pretty much par for the course here in the Philippines.

Onto the new panel, it's only been running about 5 hours (and had 1 manual comp cycle) but the banding is much better than the old panel, virtually non-existent. I have a slight concern with some vignetting on the right side but need to give it more time to see if that sorts itself out.

Where I am hugely concerned is on the 3D. The last panel was almost flawless for 3D but the new panel I would honestly go so far as to say it is unwatchable, the cross talk is beyond horrendous and no amount of changing the depth settings seems to change it. I thought the panel had little to do with 3D though and it was more of a electronics thing? Is there any chance it could get better?

I'll give it over the weekend and they have to send a different tech out with the service remote to reset the timer, but may need to go through all this again if the 3D doesn't sort itself out.

They also said that the warranty doesn't reset, is this standard?

#16,432 ·
thank you.... although the side by side black and white test only confirmed what I was trying to describe sadly... the bright white areas are obviously my cross talk hot spots. I was dead center up down and left and right for the photo. moving around only makes the dark "wave" slide up or down the screen.

I do have Dredd and can test for you, but with my 3D being messed up I assume I should get that fixed first.

Also, I do see ghosting on the text in the main menu of Star Wars. I previously owned a Sony 75x940d and had the same issue. I could test on my 55" LG LCD, but I assume the same will happen with that set too. Part of me thinks they were trying to do a "pushed out" 3D menu with a noticeable "shadow" behind the letters... the other part of me says they simply messed up the menus, ha
I would definitely exchange it if you can or try opening a case with LG VIP. Mine has the white highlight only in the top right and disappears if I sit straight up. I'll post a picture later today.

#16,433 ·
Hello, i have the 65G6 and i was watching batman vs superman uhd over my xbox one S. Anyway i was watching on HDR bright and the picture settings are still factory default and not calibrated nor tweaked even... so the picture was good but it wasn't anything jaw dropping. I don't know if that is because i need to get the tv calibrated or not. When you watch the LG store demo, then batman vs superman in HDR is nothing compared to it. My major thing was that the characters facial skin, it was so grainy and i tried tweaking everything in HDR bright and it was still grainy no matter what i do. For example at the lex luthor party where all three of them meet and wonder woman steals bruce's USB drive thing, when the camera gets close on their faces, the picture/skin color is SO grainy. Anyone knows how to fix this?
And Anyone has preferred settings for G6 OLED with the xbox one S?
Of course only main picture settings to get the picture better and not white balance nor cms since every panel is different.
Thank you very much in advance.

#16,434 ·

I would definitely exchange it if you can or try opening a case with LG VIP. Mine has the white highlight only in the top right and disappears if I sit straight up. I'll post a picture later today.
I tried for an exchange with ielectrica, buy they refused due to it being a manufacturer defect.... Called LG and they started the process for service. The tech I contacted was super nice and actually believed me when I explained the situation. Always nice when a tech understands you're not the usual clueless customer. Sounds like a new panel will be in my future... When?... No idea, lol.

What's LG VIP?.... Should I use that number instead?

edit.... about service remotes.... is there anyway to program a Harmony remote to be a service remote for these sets?

#16,435 ·
edit.... about service remotes.... is there anyway to program a Harmony remote to be a service remote for these sets?
This - http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/Access_hidden_service_menus_/_modes - seems to have the IR code but i have no idea how you can get the remote to learn it in the crappy MyHarmony software. The wiki talks about accessing an old URL which just doesn't seem to do much, and in the My Harmony software it seems to only allow you to add a new command from an existing remote :/

In regards to 3D, i just ran that test image and it doesn't even come out grey, just wacky colours all over the place, 3D is absolutely broken on my set :(

#16,437 ·
So in the saga of the burnt in panel, the LG "grunts" came round today and switched the old panel for the new one but no one could tell me what month it was made, nor could they reset the total time counter because they "just install and don't have a service remote" which is pretty much par for the course here in the Philippines.

Onto the new panel, it's only been running about 5 hours (and had 1 manual comp cycle) but the banding is much better than the old panel, virtually non-existent. I have a slight concern with some vignetting on the right side but need to give it more time to see if that sorts itself out.

Where I am hugely concerned is on the 3D. The last panel was almost flawless for 3D but the new panel I would honestly go so far as to say it is unwatchable, the cross talk is beyond horrendous and no amount of changing the depth settings seems to change it. I thought the panel had little to do with 3D though and it was more of a electronics thing? Is there any chance it could get better?

I'll give it over the weekend and they have to send a different tech out with the service remote to reset the timer, but may need to go through all this again if the 3D doesn't sort itself out.

They also said that the warranty doesn't reset, is this standard?
The 3D crosstalk is mostly about the 3D filter on the panel face and will not improve in time, unfortunately. You may want to confirm the crosstalk with the half screen black/white slide before you call LG.

#16,438 ·
This - http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/Access_hidden_service_menus_/_modes - seems to have the IR code but i have no idea how you can get the remote to learn it in the crappy MyHarmony software. The wiki talks about accessing an old URL which just doesn't seem to do much, and in the My Harmony software it seems to only allow you to add a new command from an existing remote :/

In regards to 3D, i just ran that test image and it doesn't even come out grey, just wacky colours all over the place, 3D is absolutely broken on my set :(
Didnt you just swap a set for burn-in? If so...geesh..... that sucks that the 3D is crappy. Make them get it right!

I also hunted around for a way to use the Harmony to do the service menu thing but never got anywhere. I just bought the android app and it worked perfectly. But for iOS users.... not sure what to tall ya? The LG service remotes are about $35 bucks but seems like a piss away to turn off ONE feature, lol.

#16,440 ·
The 3D crosstalk is mostly about the 3D filter on the panel face and will not improve in time, unfortunately. You may want to confirm the crosstalk with the half screen black/white slide before you call LG.
Yeah, that black and white slide just turns a mess of spolgey colors for me. It's like a unicorn spewed up a rainbow.

Didnt you just swap a set for burn-in? If so...geesh..... that sucks that the 3D is crappy. Make them get it right!

I also hunted around for a way to use the Harmony to do the service menu thing but never got anywhere. I just bought the android app and it worked perfectly. But for iOS users.... not sure what to tall ya? The LG service remotes are about $35 bucks but seems like a piss away to turn off ONE feature, lol.
Yep, the panel is the one they replaced today. I have already messaged them saying they need to come back and look to replace it due to broken 3D. It's so bad that you can actually see the 3D "layers" of the movie, like someone just cut out and stuck layers of paper on top of one another. I've never seen anything like it in my life, how LG can just blindly keep pushing out these panels without testing is a bit beyond me.