Need help with LG 55EA8800 Gallery OLED TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2016, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help with LG 55EA8800 Gallery OLED TV

I finally got around to mounting my new LG 55EA8800 Gallery OLED TV. I've been having this volume issue and can't seem to figure out the source of the problem. During normal viewing, my TV sound is set to "30" for average volume. However, everyday at random moments, when I turn on the TV, the volume would blast and spike to an unbearable level. The level setting remains at "30," but the TV is extremely loud. I would need to lower the volume to "3" in order to get the same volume level as previously. The only way to bring the volume back to normal is by unplugging the canvas speaker to reset.

Steps taken to troubleshoot:
1) Issue NOT coming from the source- I unplugged the HDMI cable and used it on a different TV. The TV volume works perfectly on the 2nd TV. I did test it on this 2nd TV while the Gallery OLED was working properly, so I would catch any volume disparity when this bug was happening.
2) Issue NOT coming from the TV motherboard- An LG technician replaced the TV's processor and issue isn't resolved.
3) I tried using a different optical cable while the bug was in effect. Didn't work.
4) I tried using a different power outlet for the speaker, even with a surge protector. Didn't work.

This leads me to think the problem is coming from the canvas speaker itself. But what's causing this? And how can the speaker be reset by unplugging? Can this be repaired? Should I try ordering a canvas speaker online? The TV is still under warranty and I'm curious how LG is going to approach this given it's a discontinued product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Are you using both HDMI audio and an optical cable which is audio?

Tell us a little more about your equipment setup.

Are you using the built in sound system exclusively or do you have an audio system?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-31-2016, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Are you using both HDMI audio and an optical cable which is audio?

Tell us a little more about your equipment setup.

Are you using the built in sound system exclusively or do you have an audio system?

HDMI comes from the cable box (source). I don't think you can specify to opt out of HDMI audio. In audio setting, "headphone" is off, "stereo surround" is off, "external speaker" is off, "TV speaker" is on.

Equipment setup is very straight forward. Source into TV via HDMI cable (hdmi input #1). TV does not have a built-in speaker. The TV processor transfers the audio from the HDMI to the canvas speaker frame via optical. The canvas speaker frame is a separate component for audio sold together with the TV. This speaker frame is made exclusively for this TV and isn't compatible with any other TV (to my knowledge). TV is connected to the frame via optical only. Both the TV and frame have separate power outlet.

No external audio system is connected to the TV.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-31-2016, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 538
I guess the first thing to do is to figure out if its the TV or the Canvas speaker. You've already eliminated the source device.

Do you have anything else that has an optical input that you can try connecting to the display?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

It's not the Tv because an LG tech already replaced the motherboard. The speaker frame will not work with another source with optical output. It just won't be compatible.

I guess this has never happened to anyone before.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2016, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

No I don't have anything with an optical input. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page