AVS Forum banner

2016 HDTVtest HDR Shootout, Saturday July 23rd 2016

11K views 150 replies 34 participants last post by  Shinobiwan 
#1 · (Edited)
For anyone interested, this is only a few hours away. It begins at 1PM in Europe on Saturday, which is around 8-9am Eastern time USA.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/hdr-shootout-201607134321.htm

UK-based independent AV retailer Crampton and Moore will hold its annual TV shootout event in collaboration with Leeds Trinity University and HDTVTest on Saturday the 23rd of July. Given the rise of HDR, this year’s theme is to anoint the best consumer-grade television for watching HDR-mastered content at this moment in time.

HDR (high dynamic range) has been a key selling point among high-end TVs in 2016, and forms the central pillar that brings about the biggest jump in appreciable picture quality compared with other UHD (ultra high-definition) features such as 3840×2160 resolution or wide colour gamut (WCG). OLED and LED LCD proponents have been arguing the respective merits of their display technologies when it comes to HDR presentation (lack of blooming/ haloing versus higher peak brightness), with the Ultra HD Alliance (UHDA) even going so far as to draw up two separate peak brightness/ black level criteria for its UHD Premium certification process.

The TVs that have been shortlisted for side-by-side comparison in this event are:

LG OLED65E6V OLED;
Panasonic TX-65DX902B FALD (full-array local dimming) LED LCD;
Samsung UE65KS9500 FALD LED TV (ks9800 USA)
Sony KD-75XD9405 FALD LED LCD television.

All the displays will be 65″ except the Sony XD94 which is only available in one screen size of 75 inches. The presence of the LG E6, Panasonic DX902 and Sony XD9405 has been confirmed for the shootout, but because the Samsung KS9500′s release has been delayed (again) in the UK and Europe, it may not be available in time for the event. Should that be the case, Samsung will be represented by the step-down KS9000, or omitted altogether.

The shootout will take place in a light-controlled, theatre-like auditorium at Leeds Trinity University. Every HDR television participating in the shootout will be given adequate time to run in, then calibrated using CalMAN software to D65 white point, ST.2084 PQ (perceptual quantisation) EOTF (electro-optical transfer function) and DCI-P3 colour points within Rec.2020 container, depending on the number of calibration controls available in HDR mode on each set. Certain snippets from several popular Ultra HD Blu-ray movies and Dolby Vision clips (for the LG) will be used to demonstrate various aspects of HDR performance to lucky attendees who will be asked at the end of the day to vote for the “Best HDR TV”.
The 2016 HDR shootout event will take place at Leeds Trinity University (post code LS18 5HD) on Saturday the 23rd of July from 1pm to 5pm GMT. The provisional schedule is as follows (though subject to change depending on time constraints, etc.):

13:00: Opening statement
13:15: HDR vs non-HDR
13:45: Dark-scene HDR
14:30: Coffee break
15.00: Mid-bright & bright-scene HDR
16:00: Dolby Vision vs HDR10
16.30: Q&A plus closing statement
17:00: Winner announcement

heres some teaser pictures posted yesterday by Vincent Teoh

1st pic: E6, DX902, KS9800, 940d

2nd pic: dolby vision E6 vs HDR10 DX902

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Seems like the camera sensor isn't capturing the black details on the Oled.I was able to remove the crush from the camera a little.

see the picture below.If you have any doubts you can try that for yourself.I only adjusted the color curved ,you can also bump the brightness and it will work.

I don't see crush from that scene on my display.

Attachments

#3 ·
Seems like the camera sensor isn't capturing the black details on the Oled.I was able to remove the crush from the camera a little.

see the picture below.If you have any doubts you can try that for yourself.I only adjusted the color curved ,you can also can also bump the brightness and will work.

I don't see crush from that scene on my display.
This is why photos can't always be counted on...nice how you were able to show the difference between the two!

#4 · (Edited)

For those that don't know, quantum dot tvs show a pinkish tint in pictures that the camera picks up. Pretty odd, but it was pointed out by some calibrators in Germany. So like others point out, can't fully judge from pictures, but that doesn't mean we don't like to see pictures of the event!

Attachments

#7 ·
Can't quite make it out but looks like a sun: 2 Yellow, 1 orange, and 1 yellowish orange. Camera angle?

#9 · (Edited)
I tried asking last night but got no reply, I should have asked earlier as I'm sure Vincent was pretty busy from the moment he woke up this morning. Vincent calibrated all the displays this past week for hdr. Which means it's currently the most accurate shootout so far. The VE shootout coming up will also be fully calibrated for hdr so well get some great hdr accuracy there too.

Also, Vizio isn't sold Europe :)

#13 ·
As long as it's available to buy.

The ks9800 was a late entry and almost scratched because it's been delayed in europe but they just got it in not even a week ago.

Also, there's an event at the complex (similar to the VE shootout where it's held on a special week every year), so delaying the shootout wasn't an option.

#16 ·
I know this is based on a pic, but that is all we have to go on at the moment. The differences in the greens on the guys helmet in the one comparison shot really popped out. The other 3 are neon green while the Panny is more subdued. The Panny has a reputation for accurate colors, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Also, look how dingy the name on his uniform looks on OLED and Sony X940D.

#20 ·
I know this is based on a pic, but that is all we have to go on at the moment. The differences in the greens on the guys helmet in the one comparison shot really popped out. The other 3 are neon green while the Panny is more subdued. The Panny has a reputation for accurate colors, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Also, look how dingy the name on his uniform looks on OLED and Sony X940D.
And of course we know exactly how it 'should' look. ;)

#18 · (Edited)
Stereodude if my post wasn't there that's for sure that many were already talking about that picture.

if I didn't have the Oled I would have thought that the Oled is awfully crushing blacks.

My point is that the camera isn't showing the details of the blacks because the sensor is focusing on the other display.

This post has been deleted
#32 ·
I don't know. The Panny pic is pretty much head on. No doubt the highlights are getting blown out because of the brightness. I do like how the fender flares are pure white and have no blue tint like on the OLED. Still the other three look surprisingly close. Purely subjective, but I find the Sammy picture the most pleasing. Not as black as the OLED, but a nice balance of saturated colors, shadow detail, and fairly clean whites. The current LCDs have done a decent job getting even this close to OLED, so if the ZD9 is such the improvement people are saying, it should definitely win the VE shootout next month.

#33 ·
Having owned Sammy FALD and LG OLED, I offer my opinion of the two: OLED is superior in almost every way, except for motion handling (particularly in the 2015 models). LG improved the motion handling for 24p content, according to my eyes, in their 2016 models.

#34 ·
Samsung won HDR.

Samsung UN65KS9800: 9 votes
Panasonic 65DX900: 6 votes
LG OLED65E6: 4 votes
Sony KD-75XD9405 (XBR-75X940D): 3 votes

OLED won SDR

The LG OLED65E6 also scored an overwhelming victory over its LCD rivals when it came to delivering the standard dynamic range pictures most of us will still – for now – spend the majority of our time watching. Of the 22 votes cast on SDR performance, no less than 18 went to the E6, with Samsung mopping up the other four.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...ed-in-public-tv-shoot-out-shock/#6b9a98e56fde

#36 ·
Seems to me that the LG really is clipping HDR10 signals and this has been addressed by some forum members already. Apparently LG is aware of the problems with HDR10 and is working on a firmware fix to resolve it. Once it's fixed it will probably beat the Samsung in HDR as well, as the reviewers clearly pointed out that details in brighter highlights were almost completley absent on the LG, and that shouldn't happen. It's great to see Samsung get some love, as I also own the 9500 and really think it's a great TV overall.

I'd love to also read a detailed report on HDR10 vs Dolby Vision on the LG, as the problems that the viewers had were all from the HDR10 bluray movies.

#38 ·
I'd love to also read a detailed report on HDR10 vs Dolby Vision on the LG, as the problems that the viewers had were all from the HDR10 bluray movies.
i know i'm a broken record, but i'd put marco polo streaming in DV up against ANY hdr10 content bar none. it may not have that instant "wow" factor of a million nits in your face, but it is very very impressive in a dark room. in terms of natural lighting and richness of colors, i've yet to see better.

#42 ·
I don't understand how the LG could be clipping unless they used default setting of 100 for contrast and set dynamic contrast to medium or high. Contrast can be adjusted on the LG with HDR material, so clipping should not be occurring. Did they even bother to calibrate the tv's HDR settings? Did they follow the procedure from LG on how to calibrate to 540 nits as posted on their web site?

http://www.lg.com/us/support/products/documents/UHDA%20Calibration%20Procedure.pdf

#71 ·
The Z9d will have better precision of highlights, which will give the impression of being brighter. For example, a bright sun will be more defined on the Z9D, combined with being brighter, would look significantly better. I'm expecting the Z9D to peak at 2000, so 500 nits brighter. However, if the source is mastered at 1000, it will be displayed as 1000, unless sony has a nice algorithm that "brings up" the brightness without clipping and blowing out the detail, which as its been pointed out by some of the pros, is entirely possible and is inevitable to happen sooner or later.

#58 ·
I love all this TV talk... When's the next shootout?!?!?!

#60 ·
"Any LCD, is not useful in my situation due to the limited viewing angle"

^^^Ken, you never specified that which setup needed wide viewing angles in your post. Which tv do you spend more time watching? I hope its the 940c because of where its at :p

Id also like to point out, that when it came to SDR voting, im very surprised the samsung was only one to garner any votes (4 votes, yay lol), while the 940d got 0 and the DX902 also got 0. Ive been very impressed with SDR performance on my KS9800 compared to my JS9500, but im still surprised the 940d didnt garner votes. To be honest, i had the 940d as the darkhorse to win the HDR portion as well.

#62 ·
Ray, I've actually specified my setups in a number of posts. OLED in the bedroom to replace my deceased Sharp Elite and the Sony 940c in the den.

Yes, most of my viewing is in the den, but I'd bet my viewing on the OLED bedroom set has at least tripled. No exaggeration. I really prefer watching the OLED, no two ways about it. My wife even suggested moving the Sony upstairs to a sitting room and moving the OLED to the den. I turned thumbs down on that idea only because I didn't want to lose the 10" in the den and the Sony would be wasted upstairs where we really don't sit to watch TV.

As for the voting, yes, based on what I saw at the VE shootout I'm surprised the Sony didn't garner any votes. The Samsung had an issue with that uniformity problem on the upper right part of the display, but I dinged it for overall PQ, not just the uniformity issue. My voting wouldn't have changed had that uniformity issue not existed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.