AVS Forum banner

55 LG OLED or 60 Samsung led (bigger or better)

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  g.j.martin 
#1 ·
Help. I am in a quandary which is going to provide the best immersive viewing experience; going for a slightly larger size screen (60) or going for a better quality TV at 55". I have to sit 10 feet from the screen and am limited to a max size of 60 due to entertainment cabinet restrictions. I am looking the 55 LG B model against the 60 Samsung 4K 8500 series. So bottom-line, will the gain in screen size balance out the against the OLED display enhancement, especially as I am sitting 10 feet back. Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
I am in sort of the same predicament, except with a 65 to 55. I can tell you I had a 60" before my 65" and the difference between the two is negligible. 55-60 I would definitely go quality on OLED vs the 8500, there is a good price difference between the two isn't there? I know the 65ks8500 is about 2200 and the 55"oled is at 2999

#3 ·
Is flat vs curved important and do you need/want 3D?
The B6 is flat no 3D, the C6 is Curved with 3D, if I recall. I just got the 55" E6 and love it. Panel wise the PQ between them are pretty close.

#4 ·
I honestly don't like the curve on the Samsung ks8500/9500. The LG one is not bad for whatever reason seems more subtle. I don't care about 3D much I have a projector with 3D and a 135" screen which IMHO does 3D justice with the size, but again not really into 3D. 55/65 is my issue

#5 ·
I'm in the same boat. Picked up a 65KS800D this weekend. Size is fantastic, but might be too big for the space. If I have to go down to 55", a B6 is in my future.

The KS definitely has backlight bleed at the top right of my panel. Nature of the beast with edgelit, but 4K and HDR look great. Blacks in the panel are excellent except for top right corner of the screen. Its not a deal-breaker, but if you're sensitive to it, then you'll see it.

#6 ·
Personally I say the OLED unless you're OCD about input lag.; the size difference between 60" and 55" is only 2.2 inches on the left and right each (4.4 total) and 1.2 inches on the top and bottom each (2.4 total) which is only 8.3% smaller. Heck, that might even be about the difference between having overscan enabled vs disabled.

If you want a simulation, take a screen shot on your computer and then resize the image to 91.6%.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I decided on the LG OLED, especially as it was $500 off last week at Best Buy. Prices should fall again in over the holidays, but not much below the $2,500 mark until next year as they make way for 2017 models. My research says this is a good year to buy as it will be several more years until all the new technology settles down and achieves a standardized focus which will define the next generation of displays in 4-5 years out. Enjoy now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.