AVS Forum banner

Xbox one s crushed blacks on LG E6

8K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Quebecker 
#1 ·
I'm having an issue I can't seem to fix. I've noticed blacks are crushed , everything looks dark and I can't see the details in dark scenes when using my xbox one s hooked up to my LG e6. I have the Xbox color space set to standard (recommended) and the TV set to hdmi black level low. I have the Xbox set to 10 bit color. Can someone please help me? My ps4 hooked up the my e6 doesn't have this problem. Ps4 set to full and tv set to high. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here

#3 ·
Not your fault. One S is currently messed up. You are the beta tester for MS. Send them feed back so that they can fix it.

Reeeeallly glad I didn't pull the trigger on the 2TB console on launch day now... Any chance they make progress by the 23rd when the smaller consoles release?

I've got a B6 and am anxious to see what UHD disc content looks like. Marco Polo looks amazing streaming but in my experience 1080p discs produce a better picture quality than 1080p streams. I assume this will hold true for UHD content as well.

#10 ·
Also. There's threads about issues with the Sammy UHD player. And threads about issues with the PS4. And threads about issues with PC programs pertaining to media playback. And threads about issues with the Wii. Etc etc.

Pointing out that every product has issues isn't helpful. Trying to provide help when asked is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I don't know if this is the issue, but I run my S at 4K/UHD resolution with 12 bit color. Also make sure your TV's Ultra Deep Color is turned on for the HDMI input your system is hooked up to. I've tested the S on both my E6 and EF9500 and both have looked outstanding with UHD blu rays. I don't run my TV through my S as it seems to soften up the picture. Only issue is the Universal movies (Lucy) not playing. But it's been brought up to the support team and they're supposedly looking into it...

#16 ·
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has been able to resolve the issue mentioned by the original poster.

I have the LG E6P and the Xbox One S and recently had my tv set calibrated. It appears that the Color Space - Standard setting on the Xbox One S does not work properly and there is black crush in my calibrated setting on Xbox One S which works fine on my TV and PS4. Anyone know if this is supposed to addressed by microsoft or if there is a fix? I would like to keep the same calibration settings for tv, PS4, and Xbox without having to make a stand alone setting for xbox as I switch a lot between the three and watch streaming video on the xbox. I believe the color space standard setting is not true rgb limited output as it indicates. Hopefully this gets patched or someone has a good work around with the current xbox settings.

#17 ·
I have the LG E6P and the Xbox One S and recently had my tv set calibrated. It appears that the Color Space - Standard setting on the Xbox One S does not work properly and there is black crush in my calibrated setting on Xbox One S which works fine on my TV and PS4. Anyone know if this is supposed to addressed by microsoft or if there is a fix? I would like to keep the same calibration settings for tv, PS4, and Xbox without having to make a stand alone setting for xbox as I switch a lot between the three and watch streaming video on the xbox. I believe the color space standard setting is not true rgb limited output as it indicates. Hopefully this gets patched or someone has a good work around with the current xbox settings.
Are you sure that you have the Xbox1 and PS4 color space setting the same? Also be aware that your picture settings on the TV are on a per input basis, so you need to make sure that whatever setting you're wanting to use across your devices is configured with the exact same settings for each input.

BTW, you really should set the color space to Full RGB instead of Standard, then set the TV black level to High. There's no reason to be using a limited color space on a game console if your TV supports Full RGB.

#20 ·
I guess I shouldn't say there is NO reason. If all you're doing on the game console is watching video, or like jimk asked, if you want the exact same settings for each of your inputs, limited is probably simpler to calibrate for. However, games use Full RGB, so if your TV is capable of properly displaying it and set correctly, then you should use it since it will increase the dynamic range over limited. I did notice games had less banding when using Full on the PS4, though I did need to bump up the brightness a couple notches.

Basically if you have a TV that supports Full, it will always be displaying between 0-255. If the TV is set to limited(Low), it's applying a transform function to the input so that 16=0. If the TV is set to Full(High or Normal), then it expects the device to send a Full RGB signal and do the transform function for limited content like movies. This could vary from device to device, so for simplicity sake I can see just setting the TV and devices at limited to keep it consistent, since the device maker could muck up the transform function, requiring more significant per input calibration. I haven't notice this on the PS4 and I appreciate the expanded range. I can't speak much for Xbox1, only had one plugged in for a couple of hours while my cousin was over, but it seemed fine on games. May have him bring it over again and run some tests.

#21 ·
http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

A good read regarding Limited vs. Full that addresses game consoles and TV's that have an RGB Full setting (or in this case Black Level = High).

Again, YMMV, but using Limited on a game console when playing it on a TV by and large does not result in a loss of visual content or quality. Even if the game you are playing was created using RGB Full values.

Now, if you run your console off of a PC monitor then yea, definitely use Full.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Here is a good article written for the Xbox 360 that describes in detail how the HDMI color spaces and reference level(color range) work. Basically they come to the conclusion that as BigCoolJesus said, whichever way you go make sure both the TV and device are set to the same color range, either Limited-Limited or Full-Full. There is probably not an appreciable difference in image quality, though this can depend on the device and TV.

http://www.waivingentropy.com/2014/08/21/xbox-360-hdmi-display-settings-guide/

Also I borrowed an Xbox 360 from work to play around with last night. Couldn't notice much of a difference in image quality(very slightly less banding on Full) as long as the TV and Xbox had matching settings. I did have to bump up the brightness a couple though when going Full-Full. Pluge pattern passed either way.

As far as Limited RGB vs YCbCr 4:4:4, one way or the other(TV or device) it's going to get converted to RGB in the end. They both also use a limited dynamic range (16-235ish) so you likely won't notice a difference.

#24 ·
PS4 pro also seeing crushed blacks on hbo go

Here are my settings
I asked on LG g6 forum and they said it was a color space issue. And I know it's not my tv because the same shows game of thrones looks fine on Vudu or bluray

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Here are my settings
I asked on LG g6 forum and they said it was a color space issue. And I know it's not my tv because the same shows game of thrones looks fine on Vudu or bluray
Your PS4 is set to RGB full.

You first need to change the TV black level to high.

After that, you need to tweak your brightness again. For me with RGB full, I need to put my brightness to 55.

If the PS4 is like a PC, this may get tricky. Some app can have their Video set to Limited but outputting to FULL (Limited-full) and some app can have their Video output to High-High. In the first case you need to set the black level to low, on the second, to high.

For example on PC, Itunes is doing Full-Full but Netflix does Limited-full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.