LG OLED - No Atmos over ARC - Dealbreaker? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #1 of 216 Old 08-22-2016, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 78
LG OLED - No Atmos over ARC - Dealbreaker?

Is the lack of ATMOS over ARC a dealbreaker for anyone?

LG barely seems aware of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 216 Old 08-22-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Not for me. The TV is far too great to not consider it due to that shortfall, one that hopefully LG will address soon.

Bish
post #3 of 216 Old 08-22-2016, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Or so we hope....

post #4 of 216 Old 08-22-2016, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaleman View Post
Or so we hope....
Disappointment? Yes. Deal breaker? No.

I can still watch blu rays and get the Atmos, 4K, and HDR on this set and it's a pretty great experience. Atmos over ARC won't be showing up on these current wets. As I understand it, it's more than just a software update that would be needed to make that possible.
post #5 of 216 Old 08-22-2016, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Is the lack of ATMOS over ARC a dealbreaker for anyone?

LG barely seems aware of the problem.
I'm afraid that it will be for me. Right now it would be the only source for Dolby Vision/HDR10 content, and the idea that I couldn't also get the DD+ track out to my new receiver would be too much of an irritant for me to live with.

It really has me disappointed as I was very close to pulling the trigger on the 65E6P. Guess I'll stick with my Trinitron WEGA for another year.
post #6 of 216 Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does this mean if I purchase an atmos soundbar I cannot use atmos with my LG OLED?
post #7 of 216 Old 08-23-2016, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.j.martin View Post
Does this mean if I purchase an atmos soundbar I cannot use atmos with my LG OLED?
exactly
post #8 of 216 Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
exactly
I've never had a soundbar so don't eat me but, is the ARC the only way of connecting lets say a UHD player to a soundbar and OLED? for example: UHD to soundbar then out to OLED? Tell me I didn't get this TV and its obsolete in that area already?...
post #9 of 216 Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've never had a soundbar so don't eat me but, is the ARC the only way of connecting lets say a UHD player to a soundbar and OLED? for example: UHD to soundbar then out to OLED? Tell me I didn't get this TV and its obsolete in that area already?...
You can connect a player or other device to a soundbar.

This will give you ATMOS over HDR10 from the blu ray, or if your player has a Netflix app AND Netflix is present, you can use that (as I understand it, only the NVIDIA Shield has the 4k Netflix app so far).

HOWEVER, the best feature of the LG televisions is DOLBY VISION. No player or other third party device currently has Dolby Vision built in yet. The only way to see Dolby Vision on the LG television is through the television itself, and it only outputs 5.1 over it's ARC channel.

This means you won't be able to watch VUDU movies (Dolby Vision and ATMOS) using ATMOS on an LG tv, you will only be able to output 5.1 sound.

Some MORON at LG made a terrible decision. There is no evidence that they are issuing a firmware update to fix this ridiculously-easy-to-fix problem (just tell the tv to NOT do anything with the bitstream other than pass it out to the audio system....FAR easier than teaching it how to process a signal internally).

I've called LG and most of the front-line CSR's didn't have a clue what I was talking about. After I got transferred to a supervisor, I had to spend 10 minutes explaining what ATMOS is, and what an ARC channel is to him. He put me on hold for 30 minutes only to come back and tell me that he has no information about a possible firmware update.

Even after I told them I was an attorney and people were contacting me regarding a lawsuit, they still didn't care. All they did was pass the address to the Office of the President. Now I have to write a letter to them.

OR, ALTERNATIVELY, WE ALL DECIDE TO TELL LG TO SCREW THEMSELVES AND BUY A BUNCH OF SONY Z9D's....that will teach them....
post #10 of 216 Old 08-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
You can connect a player or other device to a soundbar.

This will give you ATMOS over HDR10 from the blu ray, or if your player has a Netflix app AND Netflix is present, you can use that (as I understand it, only the NVIDIA Shield has the 4k Netflix app so far).

HOWEVER, the best feature of the LG televisions is DOLBY VISION. No player or other third party device currently has Dolby Vision built in yet. The only way to see Dolby Vision on the LG television is through the television itself, and it only outputs 5.1 over it's ARC channel.

This means you won't be able to watch VUDU movies (Dolby Vision and ATMOS) using ATMOS on an LG tv, you will only be able to output 5.1 sound.

Some MORON at LG made a terrible decision. There is no evidence that they are issuing a firmware update to fix this ridiculously-easy-to-fix problem (just tell the tv to NOT do anything with the bitstream other than pass it out to the audio system....FAR easier than teaching it how to process a signal internally).

I've called LG and most of the front-line CSR's didn't have a clue what I was talking about. After I got transferred to a supervisor, I had to spend 10 minutes explaining what ATMOS is, and what an ARC channel is to him. He put me on hold for 30 minutes only to come back and tell me that he has no information about a possible firmware update.

Even after I told them I was an attorney and people were contacting me regarding a lawsuit, they still didn't care. All they did was pass the address to the Office of the President. Now I have to write a letter to them.

OR, ALTERNATIVELY, WE ALL DECIDE TO TELL LG TO SCREW THEMSELVES AND BUY A BUNCH OF SONY Z9D's....that will teach them....
What about using the OUTPUT HDMI from the TV back to the receiver?

LG - OLED65C6P
All Meridian Audio System with DSP-6000 Mains
TIVO Series 3 HD - OTA
Philips UHD BluRay BDP-7501
Harmony Elite Remote
post #11 of 216 Old 08-23-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Since when does a soundbar represent real atmos HD sound?

Media room- LG 4K OLED EG9600, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Samsung 4K K8500, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC, Klipsch Reference R-62II, Rc52II,PS4

Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #12 of 216 Old 08-24-2016, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Since when does a soundbar represent real atmos HD sound?
Why don't you actually listen to it before you fire off your expert reply....
post #13 of 216 Old 08-24-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why don't you actually listen to it before you fire off your expert reply....
My question is what soundbar sounds like real Dolby atmos? Clearly it can't sound as a real setup.
10k likes this.

Media room- LG 4K OLED EG9600, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Samsung 4K K8500, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC, Klipsch Reference R-62II, Rc52II,PS4

post #14 of 216 Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
My question is what soundbar sounds like real Dolby atmos? Clearly it can't sound as a real setup.
Soundbars can sound really good, especially when paired with a Sub. Certainly they sound better than the vast majority of 'built-in' TV speakers. BUT, there is simply no comparison to an (even decent) 5.1; 7.1, or 11.1 system.

Bish
post #15 of 216 Old 08-25-2016, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Samsung HW-K950.....Soundbar with ATMOS.

Not everybody wants to drill holes in the roof and install a $5,000 ATMOS system.
post #16 of 216 Old 08-25-2016, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Samsung HW-K950.....Soundbar with ATMOS.
I tried the new YAMAHA 5600 ATMOS soundbar - no rears, just upward sound projections. I did not notice anything different than from regular soundbars with regards to the ATMOS effect coming down from the ceiling.

Maybe it's because my LG OLED did not pass ATMOS? If true, then W T F !!!

(I plugged HDMI from bluray to soundbar, then connect soundbar to TV via HDMI ARC).
post #17 of 216 Old 08-25-2016, 01:22 PM

ATMOS soundbar on my LG OLED

Quote:
Samsung HW-K950.....Soundbar with ATMOS. Not everybody wants to drill holes in the roof and install a $5,000 ATMOS system.
I returned the yamaha 5600 ATMOS soundbar, since I did not feel any effect.

Now, I just ordered the new Samsung K950 ATMOS soundbar, with the upward firing wireless rear speakers. Arriving tomorrow.

I hope it works with my LG OLED via ARC.......I will post an update this weekend.
post #18 of 216 Old 08-25-2016, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by otranto300 View Post
I tried the new YAMAHA 5600 ATMOS soundbar - no rears, just upward sound projections. I did not notice anything different than from regular soundbars with regards to the ATMOS effect coming down from the ceiling.

Maybe it's because my LG OLED did not pass ATMOS? If true, then W T F !!!

(I plugged HDMI from bluray to soundbar, then connect soundbar to TV via HDMI ARC).
That's exactly why you didn't notice any ATMOS sound....and "WTF" is the correct response.

I took a REAL boneheaded decision to not include ATMOS passthrough on the flagship set that uses Dolby Vision.
post #19 of 216 Old 08-25-2016, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I returned the yamaha 5600 ATMOS soundbar, since I did not feel any effect.

Now, I just ordered the new Samsung K950 ATMOS soundbar, with the upward firing wireless rear speakers. Arriving tomorrow.

I hope it works with my LG OLED via ARC.......I will post an update this weekend.
Sorry, I can tell you now that it isn't going to work.

Try contacting LG about this issue. Alternatively, bang your head against a cement wall for 45 minutes....same result.

As an attorney, I drafted a letter to the General Counsel at LG to see if any of those morons care about their customers. I'll let the forum know if they bother to respond.
post #20 of 216 Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I emailed both LG and Yamaha to see what they say. Yamaha engineering usually responds, will see if they do this time.

This website claims the 5.1 pass through does work for some LG tvs: I have the LG EG9100.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/input...io-passthrough

I'm so confused. I'm about to press the abort button on amazon to cancel the samsung shipment......
Or, go buy a new TV!
Any Recommendations????

Last edited by otranto300; 08-25-2016 at 04:50 PM.
post #21 of 216 Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Try contacting LG about this issue. Alternatively, bang your head against a cement wall for 45 minutes....same result.

As an attorney, I drafted a letter to the General Counsel at LG to see if any of those morons care about their customers. I'll let the forum know if they bother to respond.
"As an attorney, I drafted a letter to the General Counsel at LG to see if any of those morons care about their customers. I'll let the forum know if they bother to respond."

I understand your frustration but on what basis do you propose to bring a legal action against LG?
Ken Ross and Nugget like this.
post #22 of 216 Old 08-26-2016, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I emailed both LG and Yamaha to see what they say. Yamaha engineering usually responds, will see if they do this time.

This website claims the 5.1 pass through does work for some LG tvs: I have the LG EG9100.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/input...io-passthrough

I'm so confused. I'm about to press the abort button on amazon to cancel the samsung shipment......
Or, go buy a new TV!
Any Recommendations????
we already know the tv passes 5.1....the problem is ATMOS, not 5.1....those are two entirely different things.
post #23 of 216 Old 08-26-2016, 11:05 AM

thanks for clarification.

the samsung atmos is on its way today. Will post my test results on the blu ray player. Too bad about the apps though.
post #24 of 216 Old 08-26-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2228
Quote:
I honestly didn't know till today that ( atmos ) sound bars exists.

I'm still with my Revel 5.2 setup. Planning to upgrade but not yet.

There are too many cons on reflecting sound systems.
post #25 of 216 Old 08-26-2016, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Read the Forum Title Before Posting.

Just say "yes" or "no" to the question.

This forum isn't about whether or not you knew there was a soundbar that had ATMOS, or what legal theories I have against LG.

The question is "Dealbreaker or not?"
markrubin likes this.
post #26 of 216 Old 08-26-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This forum isn't about whether or not you knew there was a soundbar that had ATMOS, or what legal theories I have against LG.

Well by the responses and amount of owners in this forum it doesn't look like it matters.
Ken Ross and rossi46 like this.

post #27 of 216 Old 08-26-2016, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Doing a quick search, I couldn't find any brand of TV that offers ATMOS out of the ARC HDMI connector. I'm sure there may be one, but it appears exceptionally rare right now. If a deal-breaker, sounds like there is no TV in existence that supports it or that you'll be happy with.

On the audio quality level, I'd be stunned at any soundbar producing anything close to real ATMOS. Sounds like a total marketing scam, but I'm sure it decodes the ATMOS signal - but having 11 channels in a single enclosure doesn't make much sense even if speakers are pointed every direction. That said, I do leave open the possibility it sounds better than a non ATMOS soundbar.

Not close to a deal-breaker for me. I'd rather have the best image quality and pull audio/ATMOS from the BluRay into a receiver rather than the TV.

Last edited by vcor; 08-26-2016 at 05:17 PM.
post #28 of 216 Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcor View Post
Doing a quick search, I couldn't find any brand of TV that offers ATMOS out of the ARC HDMI connector. I'm sure there may be one, but it appears exceptionally rare right now. If a deal-breaker, sounds like there is no TV in existence that supports it or that you'll be happy with.

On the audio quality level, I'd be stunned at any soundbar producing anything close to real ATMOS. Sounds like a total marketing scam, but I'm sure it decodes the ATMOS signal - but having 11 channels in a single enclosure doesn't make much sense even if speakers are pointed every direction. That said, I do leave open the possibility it sounds better than a non ATMOS soundbar.

Not close to a deal-breaker for me. I'd rather have the best image quality and pull audio/ATMOS from the BluRay into a receiver rather than the TV.
The Vizio P series and the new Sony Z9 flagship can produce DD+ via ARC which is the container for Atmos, so the support for higher than basic DD&DTS for on board apps is in fact rising.

As far as I'm aware, even the best (most expensive) soundbars cannot process/output more than 9 channels (5.1.4/7.1.2). At least one of the ones mentioned here does included physical side speakers, so I would imagine that to be pretty satisfactory in a properly set up room of course, so it's not in a single enclosure.

Exciting times though. I'm just glad that more 3D audio encoded films for the consumer are coming out.
post #29 of 216 Old 08-27-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Glad to see Sony and Vizio output ATMOS on HDMI on a few models. It wasn't immediately obvious on my quick search.

In my 4K purchase, I didn't even consider Sony due to lack of DV and the Vizio 4Ks fail to support 3D.

The market seems to be a bit of a mess right now, but may shape up in the next 12 months (at least I hope it does). Good point on the BluRay DV as I'm waiting for a BluRay UHD that includes DV. Since nothing has even been announced yet, I worry it may be a while

So, currently there is no set that has it all - DV, OLED, ATMOS ARC and 3D. Perhaps 2017? That said, if you have to make a choice today you'll have to pick which features are most important to you and live without every desired feature. Sort of the way it's always been!
post #30 of 216 Old 08-27-2016, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

OK.

1 - No

2 - You're an *******.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General