AVS Forum banner

2017 OLED Rumors Thread

74K views 895 replies 156 participants last post by  sjchmura 
#1 ·
So it's nearing that time of CES and I think a rumors thread is always fun. I'm wondering if we could knowledge share from rumors we've heard. If you can link or at least mention a source, super bonus points for you.

One I can think of is: At IFA they had a prototype that could accommodate HLG. Curious if that will be a firmware upgrade for the 2016 OLEDs?

I think I also heard they may be accommodating HFR but I don't have a source for that one.

I hope this one gets as much buzz (with less drama) as the Z9 thread.

#7 ·
I don't know if switching from Yellow and Blue stack to an RGB stack is something incremental. Just gotta see if the rumor is true. I bet we will see at least a Flagship that does 1000+ nits. LG already showed off an outdoor OLED that hits 1400 nits. With HDR, whether we agree with it or not, from now on a flagship is gonna have to be at least 1000 nits to stay relevant to most people. I hope LG can get their motion resolution to 900 lines, their LCD's already do that so they should get their OLED's to equal their own LCD's for motion rez.

#8 ·
There are two ways to increase motion res for OLED : 1) low-persistence at the cost of brightness which is bad for HDR (rolling scan perhaps, like the Rift), or 2) higher framerate + interpolation, with no reduction in image brightness.

I prefer #2. I.e. 120hz panels with 24p -> 120hz interpolation at UHD res, including in HDR mode.

I could care less if people who love 24 frames per second don't get the least blurry image possible due to image persistence-based motion blur, that's their own choice.

Rolling scan is good to reduce motion blur (hence increase motion resolution), but it cuts the lumens down by 50% or more, which is counterproductive to HDR brightness and consequently OLED lifespan (since they will have to increase peak nits even higher to compensate for the nits lost to low-persistence).

Low-persistence is not (or less) necessary if you increase framerate high enough.

#27 ·
With them demonstrating 120Hz "HFR" prototypes recently, I'm really hoping that will be a feature on the 2017 models.
Ideally they would support would support a full resolution RGB/4:4:4 120Hz signal via a DisplayPort 1.4 connection. I'm not sure about HDMI, but I don't believe it supports full resolution UHD at 120Hz.

If they are adding 120Hz support, I really hope they also include support for Adaptive-Sync, as dynamic refresh rate support would mean that the entire range from say 24-120 FPS would be usable, rather than only being able to use divisors of the refresh rate like 24/30/40/60/120 FPS.
Sustaining a constant 120 FPS is a difficult thing to achieve in many newer games even on high-end hardware. But it's definitely possible to stay well above 60 FPS even if you're not able to reach 120 FPS consistently.
It also means that the display could support things like 48 FPS or 96 FPS video if that ever becomes a thing.

Rolling scan is good to reduce motion blur (hence increase motion resolution), but it cuts the lumens down by 50% or more, which is counterproductive to HDR brightness and consequently OLED lifespan (since they will have to increase peak nits even higher to compensate for the nits lost to low-persistence).
One of the problems relating to brightness on OLED displays is their power and thermal regulation.
The current OLED models can reach a peak of almost 800 nits when less than 10% of the display is illuminated at once, but this drops below 300 nits at 50% and only 150 nits with a full white screen.

Scanning the display will only illuminate a small portion of the screen at once - which could easily be set to 10% or less.
A CRT only scans a single line at a time. Ideally the OLED display would let you select how many lines it would hold at once.
So if you have a panel which can reach a peak brightness of 1400 nits, scanning the image becomes less of an issue, since you can drive it at a much higher brightness level than when you are illuminating the whole screen at once.

Now that probably won't let you increase the brightness enough to eliminate the loss of brightness when scanning the image rather than using sample-and-hold, but a 1400 nit display using a rolling scan could bring significant improvements to motion handling for SDR sources which are mastered to be viewed at 100 nits.

Low-persistence is not (or less) necessary if you increase framerate high enough.
Well increasing the framerate/refresh rate is also reducing persistence, it's just another way to achieve that.
The problem is that you need to reach around 1000 FPS at 1000Hz to match an average-performing CRT display.
You would need something like 10,000 FPS with a 10kHz refresh rate to have really good motion handling when you consider that these displays have a much higher static resolution than CRTs.

It's far easier to reduce persistence through other means than increasing the framerate/refresh rate.
A combination of the two is a good compromise in my opinion; interpolating to say 120Hz while also using a rolling scan or strobing the image - though that technique is only suitable for video, and is an imperfect solution.

#11 ·
My concern is HDR10 with dynamic metadata. If my E6 can't be updated via firmware I will probably be looking to upgrade sooner then I hoped.

Reactions: zmarty
#13 ·
#18 ·
The downside to the article and it's implications is that, barring external pressure from other OLED brands, LG probably won't be internally lowering/trimming down MSRP.

This is my assumption based on them saying they are releasing a QD TV because the cost of OLED is $1,100 higher than LCD. Which reads: we can't yet compete with mainstream LCD pricing via OLED so we will become more aggressive in our LCD quality.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Well, the thread was going well until the remarks about LG flaws. If they were charging $30k for their panels, I'm sure they'd also find a way to get rid of what some deem to be as imperfections. Sony doesn't even manufacture displays anymore, so they have to rely upon the likes of lowly LG to give them a base product.

#24 ·
I think LG is getting a bad rap actually. They have taken the technology to market when no one else was brave enough to do it. Their customer service has been exemplary and they produce a quality product imo

Yes there have been growing pains but they seem responsive in fixing most of those. Still room for improvement but on the right path.

#34 ·
LOL. Check the posting times genius.
He didn't mean you took the article from me (I already gave reference to seeing the article in your thread first) but rather posted the article under an exaggerated title with purposeful intent to create click bait. Which I agree with.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#30 ·
#33 · (Edited)
I guess LG will stop producing 3D panels in 2017. Source ? Well, Loewe using the LGD panels took the 3D feature out of the spec sheet because the future of this is unsecure and they do not want to advertise things they might not be able to deliver in future...

And dropping 3D comes handy to deliver more brightness. They are somewhat under pressure from LCD screens increasing brightness to new highs and their marketing department is surely desperate to keep running in this a bit silly brightness game.

#35 ·
I guess LG will stop producing 3D panels in 2017. Source ? Well, Loewe using the LGD panels took the 3D feature out of the spec sheet because the future of this is unsecure and they do not want to advertise things they might not be able to deliver in future...

And dropping 3D comes handy to deliver more brightness. They are somewhat under pressure from LCD screens increasing brightness to new highs and their marketing department is surely desperate to keep running in this a bit silly brightness game.
That's why I bought in this year. Too bad the 77" panel is still priced sky high, as it might be the last best big screen to attain for 3D in its current incarnation.

#44 ·
near black crush, HFR, higher brightness, reduced cost at larger than 65" sizes, improved motion and upscaling, HLG, 120fps at 1080p, making the sound bar optional (which they won't because the "guts" are hidden in there).

I'm getting a 55" 930D to hold me over until these bad boys are released and costs go down. That's why I started this thread. I wanted to see if there are rumors for why I should wait. i.e. how big of a jump in tech will there be? It appears that their maybe a big jump on both the LCD and OLED front and I am most definitely waiting. I think 2014 could have been the worst year in a long time to pay full price for a flagship with the new standard followed by 2015. Every year that will go down until manufacturers are scrambling for some new standard.

#48 ·
Samsung hopes to use real Blue QD's in the future with Green and Red QD's, plus a UV LED back light. I don't see why LG couldn't theoretically use WOLED's (using a 3 layer RGB stack) with RGB QD's in place of a color filter. The question is when we will finally see Blue QD's put to use. Blue is always a problem, Blue LED's were a problem till 93, Blue OLED's were and still somewhat (not as badly) a problem, and now Blue QD's are a problem.

#52 ·
Yes, there is.... read the professional reviews...

Here is one for starters:

"LG’s 2016 OLED TVs are the best displays on the market today in terms of overall picture quality, and the top-tier OLED65G6V is the cream of the crop due to its higher peak luminance and slightly more polished video processing. Had this model in this iteration made it to our HDR TV shootout event in place of the OLED65E6V, the result might have been very different indeed."

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled65g6v-201608304343.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.