Panasonic EZ1000 is World’s 1st 4K OLED TV with Pro-Grade Accuracy ( article ) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 3 Post By lyris
  • 7 Post By Ken Ross
  • 1 Post By video_analysis

post #1 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Panasonic EZ1000 is World’s 1st 4K OLED TV with Pro-Grade Accuracy ( article )

Panasonic has unveiled the world’s first 4K HDR OLED TV with professional-grade video processing at the CES 2017 consumer electronics trade show in Las Vegas this week. The Viera EZ1000 (or EZ1002 in the UK) will be the company’s second OLED television after its inaugural CZ950/ CZ952 which was released in late 2015.

Unlike its curved predecessor, the Panasonic TX-65EZ1000 will use a flat WRGB OLED panel supplied by LG Display, though both displays will share the one singular screen size of 65 inches. Taking a leaf out of Sony’s ZD9 launch playbook, Panasonic refused to disclose the exact peak luminance and colour gamut coverage on the EZ1000, merely stating that it will deliver “around double the peak brightness of a conventional OLED” and “almost the full DCI colour space”. If we were a betting person (hey we’re in Vegas after all), we’d put money on a peak brightness between 800 and 1000 nits, and 98-99% DCI-P3 coverage.
Update: According to a presentation slide at the launch event, the EZ1000′s peak brightness will be around 800 nits (likely the peak luminance of all OLEDs using LG Display’s 2017 WRGB OLED panel), with almost 100% DCI-P3 coverage.

The new “Master HDR OLED” panel will be joined by an “Absolute Black Filter” that not only soaks up ambient light and reflections to reduce glare, but also eradicates the reddish blacks which can affect some OLED TVs in bright rooms. We’ve been very impressed with the anti-reflective filter on the now-defunct Panasonic ZT plasma, and so can’t wait to see how the version implemented on the TX65EZ1000 will perform.
Another aspect which has consistently blown us away on Panasonic Vieras in recent years is their excellent colour accuracy, and the Japanese manufacturer is looking to step things up a notch on the EZ1000 via several avenues. First is a Studio Colour HCX2 video processor – the most powerful from Panasonic on a consumer television yet – which provides unrivalled “Delta Zero” accuracy through 3D LUT (look-up tables) similar to those used by Panasonic’s professional filmmaking and broadcast monitor arm.
Furthermore, professional users can even upload their own 3D LUTs by SD card/ USB stick. And when you consider Panasonic’s continued finetuning collaboration with Hollywood colourist Mike Sowa, the company’s own Hollywood Lab experience, and integrated DDC (direct display controls) for ISF calibration, it’s unlikely we’ll see another OLED TV that can present the director’s creative intent with more accuracy. THX and Ultra HD Premium certifications are being applied for.
OLED’s self-emissive display characteristics lend itself to true blacks, but LG OLEDs to date have had a tendency to either render the shades just above black with more noise and blockiness, or crush shadow detail however slight. Panasonic aims to tackle this through its HCX2 processor, drawing upon its know-how and experience with plasma to compensate for the relatively large “jump” between OLED’s off (zero black) and on (above black) states for the clearest and cleanest reproduction of detail in dark scenes.
The Panasonic EZ1002/ EZ1000 will support HDR10 PQ (perceptual quantisation) standard for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) for HDR broadcast, 4K HDR streaming from Netflix, Amazon and YouTube, but not Dolby Vision format since the company believes it knows its own panel and processing better than any other organisation. Like all other OLED TVs to be released in 2017, the TX-65EZ1002/ TX-65EZ1000 won’t have 3D capability.
To complement the class-leading picture quality, Panasonic has roped in sound engineers from acclaimed audio brand Technics to help develop a new Dynamic Blade Speaker for the EZ1000. Taking the form of a soundbar stand spanning the entire width of the screen (again), the Dynamic Blade Speaker is a deceptively slim audio system that houses 14 speaker units including 8 woofers, 4 squawkers and 2 tweeters, plus a quad passive radiator to enhance bass.

Other features include a “floating” design, dark metallic finish, a newly developed My Home Screen 2.0 Smart TV system, a revamped Media Player app supporting 4K HDR10 and HLG content, Freeview Play for the British TX-65EZ1002B model, as well as IP>TV tech (to convert broadcasts into data streamable to other devices) on continental models. Control4 and Crestron certifications are pending.

The 65in Panasonic EZ1000 will be available in Europe from end of May 2017, although there’s currently no plan to release the 4K OLED TV in North America. The company hasn’t decided on a launch price yet.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ez1000-201701044396.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
The 65in Panasonic EZ1000 will be available in Europe from end of May 2017, although there’s currently no plan to release the 4K OLED TV in North America.
Apparently, Panasonic Canada will be releasing the OLEDs in that market, so it's not true that they won't be appearing in this part of the world.
8mile13, Turrican4D and ChaosCloud like this.

David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
US Correspondent & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
post #3 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
Apparently, Panasonic Canada will be releasing the OLEDs in that market, so it's not true that they won't be appearing in this part of the world.
Lots of OLED TVs models to chose from this year at the UK Shootout. Panasonic, Sony, LG, Philips, Loewe and Metz OLED TVs are for sale in Europe.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
Where did you get that news? This is a big deal for me since im in Canada and my hunch tells me the panasonic will be the best of the oleds although i'll wait for reviews.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-11-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
Reddish blacks in a bright room ? Never seen it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

65C6 OLED
Time Warner Cable/Panasonic UB900/ Roku Premiere +/Sony S780 Soundbar/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
post #6 of 18 Old 02-11-2017, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Lots of OLED TVs models to chose from this year at the UK Shootout. Panasonic, Sony, LG, Philips, Loewe and Metz OLED TVs are for sale in Europe.
Money aside. Only two worth buying sony or panasonic.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-11-2017, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by suge967mari View Post
Well, no but whatever you say.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #8 of 18 Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5719 Post(s)
Liked: 6078
Quote:
Originally Posted by suge967mari View Post
Really? Who knew? It's great that some have the ability to make unequivocal assessments of products they've never even seen.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-24-2017, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if this is already common knowledge, but I saw the 65in EZ1000 today in person and the rep from Panasonic said it would be available in the US in June this year with an initial retail price of US$8000.

He also said some lower tier models (I assume he meant below prosumer level) would be available with a smaller price tag, although in the 55in class only. He said that all 65in and 77in displays would be "top tier" (i.e., expensive).

Last edited by donkrx; 02-24-2017 at 07:15 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-24-2017, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I honestly can't imagine getting a better and more realistic picture than my 2014 55" 1080p LG EC9300 OLED. HDR has a "cool" factor but to be totally honest gives the picture a "super-real" look. It just doesn't look like "real life". I also don't give a damn about 4K.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-24-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked: 1951
Troglodytes need not apply.
HVAC Guru likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Reddish blacks in a bright room ? Never seen it
Yeah, not quite sure what they're referring to there? The reddish reflections on the panel from ambient light?

I could see the same red reflections from the camera flashes at the start of the video.

Upon further analysis, it could have been the red eye reduction, because not all of the flashes cause the red reflections.

LG OLED55E6P / Panasonic DMP-UB900 / PS4 Pro / Denon X4200W / KEF Q700's / KEF Q200c / KEF Q100 Surrounds / Rythmik FVX15

My HT setup: The Living Room HT

Last edited by HVAC Guru; 02-25-2017 at 11:04 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-25-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkrx View Post
I don't know if this is already common knowledge, but I saw the 65in EZ1000 today in person and the rep from Panasonic said it would be available in the US in June this year with an initial retail price of US$8000.

He also said some lower tier models (I assume he meant below prosumer level) would be available with a smaller price tag, although in the 55in class only. He said that all 65in and 77in displays would be "top tier" (i.e., expensive).

post #14 of 18 Old 02-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

This is the first I've heard of anyone reporting a possible US release. Robert Zohn over at Value Electronics recently said that he doesn't think a US release is likely - but who knows.
post #15 of 18 Old Today, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
slim audio system that houses 14 speaker units including 8 woofers, 4 squawkers and 2 tweeters
Lol squawkers. Audiophiles rejoices it has squawkers!!!

Usual junk soundbar.
post #16 of 18 Old Today, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

This would be good news if true, but I kind of doubt it. The US needs more competition outside of the cheap Chinese companies.
post #17 of 18 Old Today, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 7
As a regular joe, how come LG doesn't get pro-grade accuracy with the same panel? Is LG handing off their best panels to Panasonic and Sony?
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
As a regular joe, how come LG doesn't get pro-grade accuracy with the same panel? Is LG handing off their best panels to Panasonic and Sony?
I'm completely guessing here, but I highly doubt LG is just handing off their best panels.
IMO, Panasonic has some of the best color accuracy out there, and I think that's attributed to their programming and processing. Combine that with a great panel, and you have a real winner on your hands.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this unit, and the Sony A1 in a showroom near me

LG OLED55E6P / Panasonic DMP-UB900 / PS4 Pro / Denon X4200W / KEF Q700's / KEF Q200c / KEF Q100 Surrounds / Rythmik FVX15

My HT setup: The Living Room HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General