Should I buy a B6 now? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Unread 01-31-2017, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Should I buy a B6 now?

The thread title says it all really.

I have always wanted an OLED and my current TV has nothing wrong with it but it is 3 years old and is only a HD panel.

But should I wait for the 2017 LG OLED's to come out? (When will they be released?)

I cant spend more that $2300 and can get a B6 for $2075 with a 5 year guarantee.

I am in the UK so I dont know if converting pounds to dollars is pointless because of the exchange rate, taxes and other variables but I have incuded the prices above.
AdamAttewell is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 64 Unread 01-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 373
It's really your call but that's a solid buy if you mean the 65" version. The newer models will of course improve some things but that happens every model year. Most folks are pretty happy with their sets. Very good performers.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is online now  
post #3 of 64 Unread 01-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
tidwelr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
The thread title says it all really.

I have always wanted an OLED and my current TV has nothing wrong with it but it is 3 years old and is only a HD panel.

But should I wait for the 2017 LG OLED's to come out? (When will they be released?)

I cant spend more that $2300 and can get a B6 for $2075 with a 5 year guarantee.

I am in the UK so I dont know if converting pounds to dollars is pointless because of the exchange rate, taxes and other variables but I have incuded the prices above.


I'm wondering the same thing. Pricing isn't where it needs to be for me to pull the trigger. When are they going to drop the price bc of the 17' models is the question?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tidwelr1 is online now  
 
post #4 of 64 Unread 01-31-2017, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
It's really your call but that's a solid buy if you mean the 65" version. The newer models will of course improve some things but that happens every model year. Most folks are pretty happy with their sets. Very good performers.
Would love a 65" but I don't have the viewing distance.
AdamAttewell is online now  
post #5 of 64 Unread 01-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Dick Emery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 115
At present the B6 has issues compared to the other models. At least myself and a number of others have noticed motion issues with this set. YMMV
NintendoManiac64 likes this.
Dick Emery is offline  
post #6 of 64 Unread 01-31-2017, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
At present the B6 has issues compared to the other models. At least myself and a number of others have noticed motion issues with this set. YMMV
Well I have noticed motion issue.

But I would buy this TV again anytime. It is amazing for me.

I would choose minor motion issue over light bleed or ghosting anytime. No TV is perfect, but the B6 is for me the closest thing to perfection.
Quebecker is online now  
post #7 of 64 Unread 01-31-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 9,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
The thread title says it all really.

I have always wanted an OLED and my current TV has nothing wrong with it but it is 3 years old and is only a HD panel.

But should I wait for the 2017 LG OLED's to come out? (When will they be released?)

I cant spend more that $2300 and can get a B6 for $2075 with a 5 year guarantee.

I am in the UK so I dont know if converting pounds to dollars is pointless because of the exchange rate, taxes and other variables but I have incuded the prices above.
If you don't care about 3D, the C7P may be a better choice than the B6P.

Sounds like you're in no rush, and by Black Friday the 55C7P should be available for $1500 or less...
mttpalmer likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #8 of 64 Unread 02-01-2017, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
matticus008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. Pricing isn't where it needs to be for me to pull the trigger. When are they going to drop the price bc of the 17' models is the question?
Thanksgiving, when retailers are trying to clear out old stock.

We've already seen the lowest prices on the *6 models. Other than Super Bowl sales, why would there be another price drop? There have already been three and the 2016 models are sitting $500 below the 2017 models. That's more than enough incentive to move the leftovers and any more than that and it takes away from the in-production units. There's no point in waiting a few months. Either buy now or wait until they're two models behind for the clearance prices.
matticus008 is offline  
post #9 of 64 Unread 02-01-2017, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Would love a 65" but I don't have the viewing distance.
Got it. Makes the decision more interesting now. Unless you're really pressed for time, maybe wait it out a little longer just to see what shakes out over the next month? I dunno.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is online now  
post #10 of 64 Unread 02-01-2017, 05:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OLED price drops on the way

Was wandering around the internet and found this from a respectable news source

(it won't let me post links as a new member but type 'nikkei oled prices' in to google and you'll find it)

As a matter of historical fact the B6 started off with a list price of £3000 (no one ever paid that it was £2500 from day one) in June 2016 between then and black Friday it dropped to £1800. That's £700 in 5 months !!!!! That's more than £100 a month!!!!
Or to put it another way the price of a pretty good 55" 4k tv.

Just be careful is all I'm saying.
esthiaque is offline  
post #11 of 64 Unread 02-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Revere, MA
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm in the same spot right now. I'm ready to jump of the Kuro train and by my first OLED. I just can't buy one until I hear more about the 2017's. Will screen uniformity be better on the 2017's? That's my biggest concern. I'll probably still wait because I'd rather have the latest, but if there is little noticeable difference I may change my mind. Fun times!

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
VidPro is online now  
post #12 of 64 Unread 02-01-2017, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yeah I am in no rush but I really do want an OLED soon. Upgraditis has a grip on me

Arent the 2017 LG OLED's going to be out of my price range because they will have just been released?
AdamAttewell is online now  
post #13 of 64 Unread 02-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Member
 
mttpalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Arent the 2017 LG OLED's going to be out of my price range because they will have just been released?
Initially, yes, but pricing on the 2017 55" B and C series should be relatively low ($2K or lower) by fall, with even better pricing by Black Friday (I know, that's a long way off). This is all speculative.

There was pre-order pricing posted on B&H Photo's website for $2499 for the C7, which is substantially lower than the C6 was at its launch. However, I just saw that the price info was removed and replaced with "price not yet available", so who knows if that was wrong, they got in trouble for posting it too early, or something else... The 65" C7 is still showing there at $3999 though.

Same boat here. I'm trying to have the patience to wait for the 2017s, but it is getting pretty damn hard when I could get a 55" E6 for around $1400. I just know I'll kick myself in a few months if I can get the new model (B, C, or E) around the same price. Too bad I don't care about 3D or this would be an easy decision.

Last edited by mttpalmer; 02-01-2017 at 02:23 PM.
mttpalmer is online now  
post #14 of 64 Unread 02-01-2017, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 49
So basically I will need to wait until Dec/Jan time to get a 2017 OLED inside of my budget.

Dam that's a long time to wait, I know the 2017 OLED's are going to be brighter but by how much once calibrated nobody really knows I have read that they have imporved the coverage of the P3 colour space but are you really going to be able to tell?

I suppose until they have been released and reviews start hitting the web nobody really knows.
AdamAttewell is online now  
post #15 of 64 Unread 02-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Member
 
mttpalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
So basically I will need to wait until Dec/Jan time to get a 2017 OLED inside of my budget.

Dam that's a long time to wait, I know the 2017 OLED's are going to be brighter but by how much once calibrated nobody really knows I have read that they have imporved the coverage of the P3 colour space but are you really going to be able to tell?

I suppose until they have been released and reviews start hitting the web nobody really knows.
I'm not sure what your budget is but I'm guessing that the prices for the '17 models will be less than the related '16 models by Septemberish.

I hear you on the wait. I'm sitting here a breath away from telling my wife I want to go ahead and order the 55E6 right now!

The '17s are supposed to have better color coverage, be 10-25% brighter, 40% faster with an updated SOC, new faster bluetooth chip, better near black detail (this is the one that sells me), and, if the YOY progress continues, they'll probably have better manufactured panels with more uniformity, less banding, etc. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the other reasons to wait.

Regardless of all of the above, I'm quite sure we'd be THRILLED with a current model set. I don't know what you're coming from, but I'm sitting in front of a terrible Sharp 720p set from 2006. If you go literally 5 degrees off-center it starts to get washed out. And forget about the color black or any dark detail. It's still going strong though! If only I could get one of the kids to "accidentally" whack it a good one with a light saber...
mttpalmer is online now  
post #16 of 64 Unread 02-01-2017, 09:11 PM
Member
 
dhasselbacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
I'm not sure what your budget is but I'm guessing that the prices for the '17 models will be less than the related '16 models by Septemberish.

I hear you on the wait. I'm sitting here a breath away from telling my wife I want to go ahead and order the 55E6 right now!

The '17s are supposed to have better color coverage, be 10-25% brighter, 40% faster with an updated SOC, new faster bluetooth chip, better near black detail (this is the one that sells me), and, if the YOY progress continues, they'll probably have better manufactured panels with more uniformity, less banding, etc. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the other reasons to wait.

Regardless of all of the above, I'm quite sure we'd be THRILLED with a current model set. I don't know what you're coming from, but I'm sitting in front of a terrible Sharp 720p set from 2006. If you go literally 5 degrees off-center it starts to get washed out. And forget about the color black or any dark detail. It's still going strong though! If only I could get one of the kids to "accidentally" whack it a good one with a light saber...
Just whack it yourself late at night when everyone is in bed, and then blame it on one of the kids! Or get a little aggressive while practicing putting and if the golf ball just happens to fly up and whack it just right.....
mttpalmer, Azreil24 and Joe_Noir like this.
dhasselbacher is offline  
post #17 of 64 Unread 02-02-2017, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 9,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
So basically I will need to wait until Dec/Jan time to get a 2017 OLED inside of my budget.
No, the 2017s should be close the lowest 2016 prices by September and will go lower from there with a 'trough' (peak low) around end of November...


Quote:
Dam that's a long time to wait, I know the 2017 OLED's are going to be brighter but by how much once calibrated nobody really knows
20%. You can check the rtings.com measurements to see the delta between the no-3D B6P and the 3D C/E6P...

And then there is the data LG has released (attached).

Quote:
I have read that they have imporved the coverage of the P3 colour space but are you really going to be able to tell?
Only by a % or two, and the answer is no, almost certainly not.

Quote:
I suppose until they have been released and reviews start hitting the web nobody really knows.
The biggest unknown about the x7P OLEDs is how much further progress LG has made on additional improvements to near-black uniformity (streaking/DSE) and whether near-black controls have been improved in a manner to make it easier to calibrate an OLED for the best shadow detail.

That, the modest improvements to HDR peak brightness (as pictured), the support for Atmos sound and Technicolor HDR (HLG will be available on the x6Ps as well ), are the main reasons to hold out for an x7P.

I've become a 3D convert since experiencing it on 4K OLEDs, so as you say, the decision was easy. If I did not care about 3D and had the patience to wait 9 months, I would have gone for a C7P...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1938593  
smurraybhm likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #18 of 64 Unread 02-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Member
 
gsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
(almost) definitely planning on the Sony A1E / LG 7 series... around this time next year.
Prices seem to have bottomed out, but my bank account says wait a year.

//Looking forward to seeing how much they improve input lag/motion on the new models
gsilver is offline  
post #19 of 64 Unread 02-02-2017, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NintendoManiac64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Let's put it this way - if you wait for the 2017 models to launch and then still buy a 2016 model, you're not going to be paying more than you would if you buy right now.

Seriously, if you're not impatient, then there's no reason to not wait so that you can at least compare the 2016 and 2017 models directly against one-another.

I personally am following this exact logic and I've been wanting OLED since at least 2009.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
We've already seen the lowest prices on the *6 models.
I really doubt that seeing as the B6 is currently going for the same price on Amazon that it was back at the beginning of November ($2000 for 55", $3000 for 65")

I will seriously be surprised if there is not another price-drop within a month or so of when the 2017 models are released.
Joe_Noir likes this.

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 02-02-2017 at 10:10 PM.
NintendoManiac64 is offline  
post #20 of 64 Unread 02-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Senior Member
 
matticus008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
Let's put it this way - if you wait for the 2017 models to launch and then still buy a 2016 model, you're not going to be paying more than you would if you buy right now.
You very well might. It'll be June before prices match the Super Bowl sales levels on current models, and the new TVs usually start hitting shelves around May. Buying a TV at basically the same price in six months is also a waste of six months for not much savings. Summer is statistically the worst time to buy a TV unless you stumble across a final clearance model.

If you're shopping right now and are hesitating over price, you're not cross-shopping against the incoming models at $500+ more. Why would you wait several months when you already know you're not going to buy the new model? If you're not shopping right now, then the current prices and models don't matter. Either way, it doesn't make any sense.
Quote:
I personally am following this exact logic and I've been wanting OLED since at least 2009.
By that logic, it never makes sense to buy the new model because it will itself be cheaper in a few months, which explains how you've been "wanting" OLED for 7+ years without ever buying anything.

If you've really been watching and paying attention, you'd know how predictable the price calendar is.
Quote:
I will seriously be surprised if there is not another price-drop within a month or so of when the 2017 models are released.
That's not how TV prices work. The old models are cleared out at the beginning of the year so that the new models can take the shelf space in the spring. Substantial spring price drops are not a thing that happens often.
Azreil24 likes this.
matticus008 is offline  
post #21 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NintendoManiac64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
It'll be June before prices match the Super Bowl sales levels on current models
I disagree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
and the new TVs usually start hitting shelves around May. Buying a TV at basically the same price in six months is also a waste of six months for not much savings.
But we're in February; the beginning of May is 3 months away, not 6.

If you are someone that doesn't upgrade TVs as often as frequent AVSers do, then 3 months isn't much at all. Remember, there's still a lot we don't know about on the 2017 models, so jumping the gun seems unwise until more is known.

And as I mentioned, the B6 is currently the same price that it was 3 months ago - I simply do not see any business sense in keeping the same price-point 6 months later when new TV models are also launching.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
Summer is statistically the worst time to buy a TV unless you stumble across a final clearance model.
But I'm not advocating to buy in summer - I'm advocating to buy in spring.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
you're not cross-shopping against the incoming models at $500+ more.
That implies that the B6 will stay at $2000/$3000.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
Why would you wait several months when you already know you're not going to buy the new model?
But did OP actually say that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
By that logic, it never makes sense to buy the new model because it will itself be cheaper in a few months
The idea is to buy when there won't be a price drop just one month later, not four months later.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
which explains how you've been "wanting" OLED for 7+ years without ever buying anything.
I haven't bought an OLED display because ideally I wanted an OLED monitor - I require a good variety of refresh rate input support, low input lag, and at least decently good PPI.

The 1080p OLEDs were only good at input lag; the 2015 OLEDs were only good at PPI; the 2016 OLEDs are good at input lag and PPI, but weren't in my price bracket until early November.

However, in September, LG demonstrated native 100fps and 120fps video content on a prototype OLED TV which gives me the hope that the 2017 models may have improved refresh rate input support.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
If you've really been watching and paying attention, you'd know how predictable the price calendar is.
The fundamental key point of my reasoning is that the supposed "super bowl price-drop" was nothing more than a canceling out of the Christmas price increase. If the current price was actually lower than what we saw 3 months ago, then my tune would be very different.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
The old models are cleared out at the beginning of the year so that the new models can take the shelf space in the spring.
But the 2015 OLED models are still available for purchase...

If you mean from brick & motor stores, then the 2015 OLEDs were still available back in September or so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
Substantial spring price drops are not a thing that happens often.
Isn't this normally because a substantial price drop occurs prior to the Super Bowl which is something that hasn't happened for the 2016 OLEDs?

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 02-03-2017 at 12:50 AM.
NintendoManiac64 is offline  
post #22 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 12:51 AM
Senior Member
 
matticus008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
I disagree.
Fortunately, your agreement is not required. This is just the way the industry works. There is no consistent pattern of May price cuts. None.
Quote:
If you are someone that doesn't upgrade TVs as often as frequent AVSers do, then 3 months isn't much at all. Remember, there's still a lot we don't know about on the 2017 models, so jumping the gun seems unwise until more is known.
There's nothing to know if you're not shopping for a 2017 model. Either you're waiting to find out what the improvements are (in which case, your issue is not price sensitivity) or you're looking for a bargain (which was Black Friday, like every other year).

If you're comparing late January prices and late May prices, you're not going to see much difference on the whole. The end of June into July is when prices hit the Super Bowl levels and stay there until the model is forgotten.
Quote:
And as I mentioned, the B6 is currently the same price that it was 3 months ago; I cannot see the business sense in pricing the B6 at the same price-point 8 months later.
Again, whether you can see it or not is irrelevant. There is a pattern to TV pricing that is not subject to your belief system or your desires for what should happen in your mind.
Quote:
The idea is to buy when there won't be a price drop just one month later, not four months later.
You're not understanding the time value of money in the slightest here.

You don't buy an EOL TV between March and August and you don't buy a new-release TV between May and October. If you're going to buy a 2016 model, do it by February 2017 or wait until it's on closeout clearance in fall 2017 and compare it to all the other dusty 2+ year old models based on price and features. Buying it in the spring or summer is dumb. These are consistent, reliable guidelines that work on most models, for most customers, most of the time. Late-model TV season is the fall and winter. That's just the way it is.
Quote:
Then tell me why the 2015 OLED models are still available?
What does that have to do with anything? Everything has a long tail if you're willing to look for it. No major retailer is giving 2015 models shelf space or keeping in inventory. It's just overstock. Leftovers.
Quote:
Isn't this normally because the spring price is normally similar to the Super Bowl price? Well when the Super Bowl price is similar to the pre-black Friday price, then one questions whether this will remain true this year.
No, the spring price is not usually similar to the Super Bowl price, and not every model goes on sale. The 2016 OLEDs have already had their prices cut more than 50% off initial MSRP. There's neither the room nor the incentive for further massive cuts in the next few months. You're promoting a fantasy and you're neither an owner nor in the market for the product!
fafrd and Azreil24 like this.
matticus008 is offline  
post #23 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NintendoManiac64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I just want to say, I made several key edits while you were typing up your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
The end of June into July is when prices hit the Super Bowl levels and stay there until the model is forgotten.
So you're telling me that June and July will have the same price that it did 8 to 9 months earlier when there weren't newer models available no ifs, ands, or buts.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 02-03-2017 at 01:09 AM.
NintendoManiac64 is offline  
post #24 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 01:07 AM
Senior Member
 
matticus008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
I just want to say, I made several key edits while you were typing up your reply.
Not my problem.

Quote:
Wait, so June and July will have the same price that it did 8 to 9 months earlier?
Yes, TV prices go up and down throughout the year. 8-9 months before June and July is November, when TV prices are at their lowest until they are considered obsolete by retailers and go on clearance.

What you’re advocating doing is buying last year’s TV at last year’s price. You could have done that last year and had several months of use out of the model while it was still top-of-the-line.

What you want to do is buy this year’s TV at next year’s price. That inflection point is almost always about six months after launch, right around--you guessed it--November.
fafrd, hingerson and Azreil24 like this.
matticus008 is offline  
post #25 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NintendoManiac64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
Not my problem.
Not mine either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
What you want to do is buy this year’s TV at next year’s price. That inflection point is almost always about six months after launch, right around--you guessed it--November.
Huh? Are you not saying that, if the B6 was $2000 in November, then the B7 should launch at $2000?

But that goes counter to what you were saying about the B7 being $500 more than the current B6 price (which would total to $2500).
NintendoManiac64 is offline  
post #26 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
matticus008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
Not mine either.
It seems to be, since you brought it up...
Quote:
Huh? Are you not saying that, if the B6 was $2000 in November, then the B7 should launch at $2000?
No.
matticus008 is offline  
post #27 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NintendoManiac64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
It seems to be, since you brought it up...
I mentioned it because I thought you'd appreciate the heads up; I mean, it's not like I was unaware of the edit seeing as I was the one that made it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
No.
Is it because you said "almost always" rather than 'always', thereby meaning that the B7 launch price will one of those rare exceptions to this pattern?

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 02-03-2017 at 01:36 AM.
NintendoManiac64 is offline  
post #28 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 01:38 AM
Senior Member
 
matticus008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
I brought it up because I thought you'd appreciate the notice.
I don't pay any attention to edits made after the fact because you post half-complete replies. That's not how a discussion works.
Quote:
Is it because you said "almost always" rather than 'always'?
No.
matticus008 is offline  
post #29 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NintendoManiac64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
I don't pay any attention to edits made after the fact because you post half-complete replies. That's not how a discussion works.
But it is not after the fact when you haven't posted your own reply yet and my own replay is still the newest comment in the thread.

As soon as a new post is made after mine, then I 100% completely agree that it's after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
Quote:
Is it because you said "almost always" rather than 'always'?
No.
Then would it be accurate to say that you are not going to re-explain your statement?
NintendoManiac64 is offline  
post #30 of 64 Unread 02-03-2017, 02:09 AM
Senior Member
 
joys_R_us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Berlin - Germany
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Have you guys thought of the special production dynamics of OLEDs in 2017 with LG increasing production considerably in the second quarter ? The price curve might be a bit different this year with prices coming down earlier...

I also wonder about this talk of stock clearance in November when LGD is not able to produce enough panels and next years products only will show up in April. So why hurry to "clear up" ?

This "stock clearance" thing is a consumer myth...
NintendoManiac64 likes this.
joys_R_us is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off