AVS Forum banner

Petition to LG to fix motion problems on B6

8K views 58 replies 14 participants last post by  Shinobiwan 
#1 ·
http://www.change.org/p/lg-electron...source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

I feel this is the only way to get this heard. Please refer to the thread below if you wish for more information about this. I am getting tired of people saying there are no motion problems when I have provided clear evidence there is. If you have no issues with your B6 please provide video evidence disputing this. You can use the following link to test this yourselves.

http://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-b6-issues-and-settings-thread.2080374/unread

#3 ·
http://www.change.org/p/lg-electron...source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

I feel this is the only way to get this heard. Please refer to the thread below if you wish for more information about this. I am getting tired of people saying there are no motion problems when I have provided clear evidence there is. If you have no issues with your B6 please provide video evidence disputing this. You can use the following link to test this yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvUIA7KUjc

http://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-b6-issues-and-settings-thread.2080374/unread
Is this B6 only? C/EG6 don't have this same behaviour?

#4 · (Edited)
On my 65C6P, the 24fps jumps but more continuously/evenly than the same video played on my iPad (which shows a couple very bad jumps at 24fps) and the 60fps is smooth on the 65C6P versus a continuous jump on the iPad.

YouTube allows format of a stream to be displayed, so I can see that on the C6P this video is at 60fps.

So the C6P supports 60fps YouTube while I suspect the iPad is limited to 30fps. Based on that understanding, here is my assessment of what I am seeing in bold:

So at least based on what I am seeing:

60fps on C6P = relatively smooth 60fps video @ 60fps

60fps on iPad ~24fps on C6P = continuous/uniform judder/jumping iPad = 60fps video on 30fps display or every other source frame discarded, while C6P = 24fps video displayed @60fps = 1 triple frame every 2 frames (and all other frames doubled)

24fps on iPad = 2 very bad jumps/judders with many smaller jumps 24fps video displayed @ 30fps = 1 double frame every 4 frames
As far as how the 24 fps video is displayed:

@60fps, you get AABBBCCDDD

while @30fps you get ABCDD which translates to AABBCCDDDD when displayed @ 60fps.

Normalizing on 60fps frame tags, the 4 cases appear as follows:

60fps@60fps = ABCDEFGHIJ
60fps@30fps = AACCEEGGII (every other frame dropped/doubled)
24fps@60fps = AACCCGGIII (3:2 judder @ 30fps)
24fps@30fps = AACCGGIIII (2:1 judder @ 15fps)

My eyeballs cannot really differentiate between 30fps and 3:2 judder at 30fps, but 2:1 judder judder @ 15fps looks horrible...

What behavior does the B6P display?

#5 ·
My video that I have posted in numerous threads shows exactly the behaviour and it is also linked in the petition. Please view that if you need to see what is happening. I have yet to find anyone posting a video disproving this does not effect their B6s. Perhaps they are too afraid to look for a problem they don't really notice and want to make sure they continue to not notice it (some of us are sensitive to it though).

#6 ·
I find out PC mode gave me some sickness feeling. I'm usually very resistant to this.

I started asking myself why I was feeling sick during Pc mode.

I tried the Ufo Test with the Star background and found out why: Motion Blur, lot of motion Blur.

Test this: http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates&count=2&background=stars&pps=960

Look at the Stars trail. In PC mode the trail is very long, in Normal mode, it's quite short (even shorter with some Deblur of course)

So PC mode actually make the frame rate more consistent (less drop frame) but introduce a lot of motion blur.

Anyway, even if the motion is globally smoother on PC Mode, the blur forced me to go back to DJ2DB10.

#7 · (Edited)
Strange. I have no issue with a bit of motion blur. Perhaps that is because I came from a plasma. I dislike LCD blur however.
EDIT: I ran that test and see very little blurring at 60Hz. The 30 fps below it looks horrid obviously. The weird thing though is I cannot get it to sync at 50Hz. It completely fails both in Firefox and Chrome and Edge does not support vsync.

#8 ·
Strange. I have no issue with a bit of motion blur. Perhaps that is because I came from a plasma. I dislike LCD blur however.
Well, it depend of the content, fast moving content like action movies will make me a little bit sick (just a little sensation) in PC mode (maybe i'm just too used to using Deblur10 for 4 months).

Anyway, your petition is still useful, we need low blur and frame consistency.

#24 ·
OK I think I have made a breakthru!

I set MadVR to upscale to 2160p50. Guess what? The 50 fps balls video plays smoothly in PC mode (all processing is off in this mode obviously). If I play the same clip at 1080p50 it stutters. I think when they fixed 2160p stuttering that broke 1080p at 50/60 fps (although it would seem 60 fps is broken to a lesser degree in that enabling PC mode fixes it. You just cannot use Trumotion anymore).

50 fps plays perfectly at 2160p using PC mode. Unfortunately UK broadcasts are at standard definition and 1080i on a few channels (on Freeview that is).

I think when they fixed the 2160p 24p stutter they messed up all the other frame rates including 1080 50 fps

#26 ·
All that happens is 25 fps has each frame shown twice at 50Hz. It judders slightly but does not stutter as in dropping frames during each transition. The fact that 2160p50 does not stutter (again only in PC mode) seems to indicate some other issue going on. If only I could get LG to look into this and reply. The last few emails they have not replied. Possibly they now have me on their 'straight to the recycle bin' filter because I kept emailing them.

#42 ·
Damn, this is terrible since I have a Samsung ks8000 and wanted to get rid of it and get this set because of motion blur issues I have on that set. Looks like this set also suffers from the same thing. Is this issue only with the B6 model or all of the 2016 OLED lineup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 ·
Damn, this is terrible since I have a Samsung ks8000 and wanted to get rid of it and get this set because of motion blur issues I have on that set. Looks like this set also suffers from the same thing. Is this issue only with the B6 model or all of the 2016 OLED lineup?
OLED and LCD can both induce the phenomena of motion blur because of how they hold each frame steady, but what this thread is about has to do with the LG's solution to this phenomena ("TruMotion") and how it's apparently enabled on the B6 even when it has been disabled and how that affects 60Hz motion.

Some customers enable various amounts of TruMotion on specific inputs to help with motion blur and 24fps stutter while others of us just leave it disabled. B6 owners appear to be limited in their choice.

Sony may very well have superior motion processing when their 2017 OLED is introduced, but they've made their share of head scratching mistakes as well. So only time will tell, and by then we'll be talking about the 2018's ...

#49 ·
Any recommendations for AV Sync Adjustment settings? I currently have it set to 0.

#56 ·
Getting them to admit anything is tough. All I get is that their technical 'team' are looking into it. However my last reply when I was telling them about the 1080 @ 50Hz problem all I got was an email asking for all my details in order for the possibility of replacement. I highly doubt that would make a difference and replied as such stating that I would much prefer to speak to someone on their technical team who actually understands what I am talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.