AVS Forum banner

4K and New Equipment

639 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  VidPro 
#1 ·
Hopefully this the right forum for this...I'm not really sure where to post this...

Sooooo...I'm waiting on the 2017's to be released so I can finally join the OLED (Retiring my Kuro) family. While I'm waiting I need to do some prep work to my system.

First up, I've learned that I need to replace my Denon X4000 if I want to get the most out of a 4K panel. I'm going to buy a new Denon X4300H as a replacement. That leads me to replacing my HDMI cable. I think it needs replacing anyway. I bought it a few years ago so I'm getting a new 30 foot cable, that if I read correctly, needs to be rated at 18 Gbps. The cable old is buried in the wall so I need to make mess to replace it. After reading about HDMI cables I'm feeling it might be best to test with the panel with this new cable before I go through all that work to replace the old one. Am I reading too much into this?

Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks!

#2 ·
You need 18Gbps for 4:4:4 chroma (PC or console sources) / Deep Color @ 4K @ 60Fps and several other HDMI features, possibly some flavors of HDR. For 30 ft, yeah, I would test outside of the wall first... not all cables can do 18Gbps and even less at that length.

Also, keep in mind, that HDMI 2.1 was just announced and that'll need new cables. Those are 48Gbps. SOOOOOooooo... if you can't pull your cable through the finished wall and you decide to rip open the wall to run a new one, I would suggest using a conduit so you can easily replace it in a few years with the 48Gbps cables :).

#3 ·
I came from a 9G Kuro to a 2016 OLED and you will be very pleased!!

As far as HDMI cables, be wary about longer runs like the 30 foot cable you have. Most of those will be very hit and miss when it comes to passing the 18Gbps. It might be okay for most content, but runing 4K/HDR content you may start having issues. You definitely want to try running the cable with as high of a feed as you can, i.e. UHD Blu-ray to test the signal integrity.

Since it seems like you are running only one cable from your receiver to your TV, then my next suggestion is kind of null and void. I've got a Marantz AV8801, which is not able to pass 4K/HDR content, so I just bypass it and run an HDMI cable from my sources to the TV and then run another cable to my preamp for sound specifically.

#4 · (Edited)
Nope, not reading too much into it at all, IMO.
I bought a Roku Ultra (4k HDR etc.) and an Oppo 203, and the HDMI cables that had been working fine for 1080p wouldn't even display a picture.

I ended up buying all new monoprice certified 18gbps cables and all is well again.
The certified part is very important, if it claims 18gbps but doesn't have that certified sticker, there's a good chance they will not work.

Also the length of cable you want to run is of concern as well, but there's a thread on here that will tell you what works and what doesn't, I forget where though, maybe someone else could chime in that knows of it's whereabouts...:)

Good Luck

*edit* The suggestion for getting a 2.1 cable is a good one too, doubly safe..

#6 ·
Thanks. I'll double check the cable sitting in my Amazon cart. I'll also search out that thread.

#5 ·
Thanks!

My 500M gave me a lot of good years. She's still going strong and I'm hoping I can find her a new home. :)

I like the idea of a conduit for easy cable pulling in the future. The thing is we'll be moving in a couple of years when I'll finally have MY own theater room. I can't wait for that day.

I am only running one long cable. The panel is on the opposite side of the room. The AVR will do all the switching between components. I'm not looking forward to making a mess, but I also can't wait to see OLED goodness.

#10 ·
Still reading and getting a headache. LOL!

#11 ·
Ok so it seems if I want the best shot at getting a 30 Ft run to work might be a Celerity Technologies Detachable Fiber Optic HDMI Cable. I think anyway. 35 Ft comes in at around $250 or so. Expensive as it is, if it just works I'll be happy. The only other thing to make sure is to have power at both ends so I can feed it USB power. :serious:

#13 ·
Thanks. I agree and I have no desire to buy a Ferrari priced cable, but my hope was to run my new cable (replacing older HDMI in wall) and having it waiting for the display when it's released. I guess my best bet is to wait and just buy a less expensive cable and see if it works. Then do the in wall run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.