2017 TV Shootout Evaluation event will be in NYC, July 12 and July 13, 2017 - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5268Likes

post #2611 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankite View Post
I remember when Kuro owners were dumping their sets for that magical Sharp Elite LCD. Glad I didn't jump on that wagon.
I never jumped due to the crazy price.

Sony 65" A1E
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
B&W CM10 S2's Acurus 200A3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 175
After one week of ownership I feel the A1E is the very Best 55in television on Planet Earth. Good Evening Everyone.

Sony55A1E|Oppo 203|Sony CT790|
post #2613 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post
I have a question for @D-Nice @jrref or anybody else with knowledge of the 2017 Sony sets. If I want to max out BFI to get the highest motion resolution out of my set, which is setting is better to adjust to offset the decrease in brightness without affecting the picture accuracy of Cinema Pro mode? Is increasing brightness, contrast, gamma, or some combination of these 3?
For which Sony TV?

post #2614 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-nice View Post
for which sony tv?

930e
post #2615 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
For clarification, the native YouTube app is currently not working properly on the C7 for HDR10 videos - it broke after the .09 update (going off memory as I'm at work). This might explain why the Chess HDR demo on the C7 looks washed out. If not I find it hard to believe the 4 judges didn't pick up on the notable differences you're claiming.
I am not using any streaming YouTube apps to play HDR. I am playing the LG demo files via USB on Oppo 203 fed through UHD HDR capable splitter to both displays for exact simultaneous display. I believe the LG Chess demo is around 842 MB.

I am not saying it looks "washed out". The difference has to do with the capabilities of the display. The Z9D can get much brighter and preserve better color volume in the upper luminance range.

D-Nice is welcome to tell us which he thinks looks better: the LG OLED or his Z9D on the LG Chess demo.
post #2616 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
930e
Brightness Max and XDR set to High.
tmdorsey likes this.
post #2617 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Brightness Max and XDR set to High.

Thanks D-Nice.

I'm assuming this is ok for SDR content right seeing as brightness and XDR automatically are set to those settings for HDR?
post #2618 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
I am not using any streaming YouTube apps to play HDR. I am playing the LG demo files via USB on Oppo 203 fed through UHD HDR capable splitter to both displays for exact simultaneous display. I believe the LG Chess demo is around 842 MB.

I am not saying it looks "washed out". The difference has to do with the capabilities of the display. The Z9D can get much brighter and preserve better color volume in the upper luminance range.

D-Nice is welcome to tell us which he thinks looks better: the LG OLED or his Z9D on the LG Chess demo.
OK, Thanks. I thought the Chess demo looked great before the firmware update on my C7 but to be fair I haven't seen it on the Sony Z9D.

LG 65C7
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
post #2619 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks D-Nice.

I'm assuming this is ok for SDR content right seeing as brightness and XDR automatically are set to those settings for HDR?
You are correct
tmdorsey likes this.
post #2620 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I never jumped due to the crazy price.
I never jumped because it was a Sharp and more importantly an LCD.

Mankite
post #2621 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Man, I remember the Samsung QLED thread during CES...boy were people quickly throwing around "OLED Killer" and all that other fud from a manufacturer staged demo and a few Instagram/press pictures.

Wonder where those people are now?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Probably over in the LCD forums ignoring this nonsense. Or maybe watching their TVs, or playing video games on their TVs, or who knows. Anything but sticking around to see how this thread ends is my guess.
Yip, just finished a long session of COD BOIII.
post #2622 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked: 2399
I only see TV manufactures taking the emissive route, not the other way. This clearly explain why emissive is a superior tech.

Transmissive issues are more problematic than those on emmisive.We know the issues and that's why they want to finally fix them.

I could switch from Oled after I see true emmisive Qled or Cledis.

The future is clearly moving to Emissive.

Oled is clearly shaking things up!
Gillietalls likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-24-2017 at 11:39 PM.
post #2623 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 6270 Post(s)
Liked: 10991
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
I only see LCD manufactures taking the emissive route not the other way. This clearly explain why emissive is a superior tech.
What company only makes emissive TVs?
OLED4UNME likes this.

Mark Henninger (aka Imagic)
post #2624 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
@imagic @D-Nice

Going over the calibration reports, looks like Local Dimming was left on for the calibration runs on the LCDs. When I took my ISF Cert class in April, it was recommended to disable LD and use fields. With 2017 FALD LCD's like the Z9D, Vizio P, TCL P, etc... is LD On with some kind of APL pattern the best way forward? Or does it depend on each individual model?

Last edited by DarkHorse88; 07-24-2017 at 07:43 PM.
post #2625 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse88 View Post
@imagic @D-Nice

Going over the calibration reports, looks like Local Dimming was left on for the calibration runs on the LCDs. When I took my ISF Cert class in April, it was recommended to disable LD and use fields. With 2017 FALD LCD's like the Z9D, Vizio P, TCL P, etc... is LD On with some kind of APL pattern the best way forward? Or does it depend on each individual model?
Yes.
post #2626 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked: 4287
Quote:
...all TV shootouts are "fake news" and that's the end of the story.

Ken Ross, Gillietalls and sickkent like this.
post #2627 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse88 View Post
@imagic @D-Nice

Depends on manufacturer and model.
post #2628 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post

Lmao!
post #2629 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Depends on manufacturer and model.
Thank you, sir. I guess pre-Cal you would compare the measurements in a relatively accurate mode with enhancements off (Movie, Cinema, ISF, etc...) between LD Off/On and note all xyY differences before deciding.
post #2630 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
I remember when Kuro owners were dumping their sets for that magical Sharp Elite LCD. Glad I didn't jump on that wagon.
The Sharp Elite was the Z9D of its time. 384 FALD zones, top notch accurate color performance, great contrast and inky blacks. Sharp believed that an LCD based TV could be built to perform as well as the Kuro's plasma, and they came really close to pulling it off. They brought some of the Pioneer engineers over to help develop it.

It got great reviews, but obviously scored low on value points. And for the price, it didn't blow away the other top TV's available at the time; namely the Panny VT50 and Sammy E8000 which cost thousands less.

The reason for the steep price was because they hand selected each panel that came off the line. Only about 10% passed muster. This obviously had the effect of increasing the manufacturing cost to a ridiculous level. They also wanted to price it as a prosumer product to justify using the "Elite" moniker.

I saw one in person at a BB Magnolia store. I was really drawn to the image is was producing. The PQ was definitely better than anything I had seen at that time.

Hard to believe, but that was only six years ago. Crazy amazing amount of changes and improvements since then. Eh?
ataneruo and King Richard like this.
post #2631 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked: 4287
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
Numbers have very little to do with how the human visual system perceives contrast... Our eyes do not work like mechanical meters.

When you have an area of black right near a bright area of white, the human visual system can only perceive a very limited amount of contrast. The only thing that matters is the contrast which your eyes are able to perceive... if there is something black right next to something bright, we cannot detect a large discrepancy in contrast...

At any given time, the eye's static contrast ratio or dynamic range is somewhere between 1,000-15,000:1 (10-14 stops). In situations of extreme low-light viewing (where our eyes have adjusted to use rod cells for "scotopic/night vision") our visual system can accommodate an even larger brightness range.

When viewing a "real-world scene", our eyes can focus on different parts of the scene and dynamically adapt and adjust for the different light levels of those different areas - our pupils open and close for the different brightness regions of the scene, giving them the ability to make out tons of detail in both the dark parts and bright parts of the scene. Since it can dynamically adapt to different brightness levels by closing and opening the pupil, the human eye can perceive scenes with a very high dynamic contrast ratio, anywhere from 1,000,000-17,000,000:1 (or 20-24 stops of light).

Additionally, the human brain has an amazing ability to take-in all those details, intelligently interpreting the information from our eyes, and "create" a single mental picture that takes into account all those details.

Now our perception of detail and sharpness is based intrinsically on contrast. It is edge contrast especially which allows our brain to separate and recognize one object from another.

Another advantage to HDR displays, and especially OLEDs, is that, since viewers experience contrast as the difference between the brightest and darkest pixels within an image, and since edge contrast is a visual cue for sharpness, having dramatically brighter pixels, even a few of them in the top highlights, means that the perceived contrast of the image will be dramatically higher, and details will appear to be much crisper... HDR highlights on an OLED TV add contrast that make the edges by which we evaluate sharpness really "pop".

Furthermore, because of their much deeper blacks levels, a 500 nits specular highlight will indeed seem much brighter on an OLED TV than the same 500 nits specular highlight on an LCD display who's black levels are nowhere near as deep.

This is due to the "Perceptual Contrast Effect". The way we judge pretty much anything is in comparison with something else. Put a bright object next to a dark object and it will seem brighter.

(This is the same reason that "blacks" on a TV screen appear darker when you use "bias lights".)

For example, in the image below, the grey square on the left (A) "seems" brighter/lighter than the one on the right (B), which appears darker/dimmer. In reality, they are both the same shade of grey. That is the "Perceptual Contrast Effect".

P.S. It's also important to mention that room lighting will also have a significant impact on the "perceived" contrast of the display.

Additionally, it cannot be over-emphasized that HDR grading is not always about making everything brighter. Just making everything brighter is like doing a music mix where you simply make everything louder. You're not really taking advantage of the ability to emphasize specific musical details via increased dynamic range, you're just making individual details harder to hear amongst all the increased energy bombarding the audience.

From professional colorist Alexis Van Hurkman: "On one job I was grading, one of the characters of a scene had brass buttons on their jacket, which were natural candidates for putting out some HDR-strength glints. I keyed and boosted them, but I was moving so fast that the first adjustment I made had the buttons glowing like little suns. I paused to take in the effect, and the client and I simultaneously burst out laughing, the result was so completely ridiculous. It goes without saying that HDR-strength highlights should be motivated, but I was surprised by just how instantly hilarious the wrong use of these highlights was."

"I also see the ability to have these sorts of squint-inducing highlights as another creative opportunity, one that's been available to audiences looking up at the stage lighting of plays, musicals, and concerts for years. If you're careful not to abuse the privilege, I think the ability to cut to a bright frame, surprise with a sudden flare or shower of sparks, or grade a light-show with similar physiological impact to the real thing can create compelling narrative opportunities in our storytelling."

Richard

Last edited by King Richard; 07-26-2017 at 02:11 PM.
post #2632 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
At any given time, the eye's static contrast ratio or dynamic range is somewhere between 1,000-15,000:1 (10-14 stops). In situations of extreme low-light viewing (where our eyes have adjusted to use rod cells for "scotopic/night vision"), our visual system can accommodate an even larger brightness range.

Richard
It's about time you showed your credentials, or the aces up your sleeve!! Great stuff - always learn something.
post #2633 of 3545 Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
The Sharp Elite was the Z9D of its time. 384 FALD zones, top notch accurate color performance, great contrast and inky blacks. Sharp believed that an LCD based TV could be built to perform as well as the Kuro's plasma, and they came really close to pulling it off. They brought some of the Pioneer engineers over to help develop it.

It got great reviews, but obviously scored low on value points. And for the price, it didn't blow away the other top TV's available at the time; namely the Panny VT50 and Sammy E8000 which cost thousands less.

The reason for the steep price was because they hand selected each panel that came off the line. Only about 10% passed muster. This obviously had the effect of increasing the manufacturing cost to a ridiculous level. They also wanted to price it as a prosumer product to justify using the "Elite" moniker.

I saw one in person at a BB Magnolia store. I was really drawn to the image is was producing. The PQ was definitely better than anything I had seen at that time.

Hard to believe, but that was only six years ago. Crazy amazing amount of changes and improvements since then. Eh?
The craziest part is for the last 5 years I've been chomping at the bit to upgrade my Pioneer Elite 151 and haven't felt the time is right yet. I've been longing for a 65" but I am very sensitive to motion blur. I know my tv is far from the best compared to what's available today but I look at it from the perspective that it has no serious weaknesses that bother me. I watch in a light controlled room and mostly comcast that doesn't even offer 1080p to my knowledge. In this scenario I'm having a hard time giving myself the go ahead to move on. I know people are tired of hearing about these decade old Tv's but from the lack of weaknesses to the great sound it's not as easy as most would think to move on even though I've wanted to for years if not just for the size increase. From what I've read I'd have to say the Panasonic OLED interests me the most and guess what, I can't even buy one!
sonoftumble and dnoonie like this.

Mankite
post #2634 of 3545 Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataneruo View Post
I don't understand how a non-bright image can be "restful". It is exhausting attempting to make out a dim image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The point is, the image is *not* dim.
sickkent likes this.
post #2635 of 3545 Old 07-25-2017, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
>>>
Originally Posted by D-Nice
Everything that I've seen says leave the setting at Normal. I have no clue as to why Rtings recommends Wide when the LG will use the proper mapping when it detects HDR10/DV with the setting on Normal.
I am hoping someone from Rtings is on this forum to answer not just this but more of the same instead of their own blog.
<<<

D-Nice is correct in that it should be set to Normal but the reason why they recommend wide is because there is a problem with the LGs HDR CMS for Red and Magenta. If you leave it on Auto, Red and Magenta will be over saturated and the CMS controls can't make up the difference. If you set it manually to Wide, it moves everything closer to where it should be. That said, we reported this to LG I think about a week after the C7s were available and their response was to set it to Wide manually which is probably why Rtings is recommending Wide.
Hi,
I'm a bit confused here because my LG 65B7 (in UK) only has a Wide, an Extended, and an Auto Colour Gamut. Having said that I am watching the BBC demo of Hybrid Log Gamma HDR and wonder if this is the reason.
What setting should I chose for HLG ?
Thanks.
post #2636 of 3545 Old 07-25-2017, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6541 Post(s)
Liked: 7243
Quote:
I never jumped because it was a Sharp and more importantly an LCD.
It's this kind of brand bias (I see it with LG too) that often leads to purchasing mistakes.

I find the smarter approach is to look at each display, regardless of who made it, and assess it on its actual picture quality, not the name on the bezel. Crazy, I know.
post #2637 of 3545 Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
What company only makes emissive TVs?
None, but only because you can't have a single product line consisting of only better, relatively expensive displays, while your competition offers cheaper alternatives for the masses. Not the smartest marketing strategy.
post #2638 of 3545 Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post

Umm, err, hmm...(calling D-Nice ). I actually owned the 60" Sharp Elite and although it was, IMO, a great display for its time, its Achilles heel was its color accuracy...or lack thereof.

Despite it touting THX certification (don't get me started on the meaningless of that, as I learned the hard way), its color was not accurate in certain areas and luminance levels. D-Nice and I went a few rounds on that, with our area of disagreement being the magnitude of that color error in actual content.

We kissed and made up in the end...OK, we didn't actually kiss.

It was also questionable if the panels were actually hand selected.
sickkent likes this.
post #2639 of 3545 Old 07-25-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
None, but only because you can't have a single product line consisting of only better, relatively expensive displays, while your competition offers cheaper alternatives for the masses. Not the smartest marketing strategy.
Why not? Lots of companies in other industries do this successfully. Mercedes is an example. Apple too.

LG is the only company making emissive displays for consumers. And they also happen to make LCDs. You can't draw any conclusions based on one sample.
post #2640 of 3545 Old 07-25-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Why not? Lots of companies in other industries do this successfully. Mercedes is an example. Apple too.

LG is the only company making emissive displays for consumers. And they also happen to make LCDs. You can't draw any conclusions based on one sample.
Because consumer electronics is a far more cut throat business than the automotive industry with higher profit margins. What do you think would happen to LG's profits if they decided to market OLEDs to the total exclusion of LCDs?
sickkent likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page