Web browsing via PC on 55" B6 - is ABL an issue? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-09-2017, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Web browsing via PC on 55" B6 - is ABL an issue?

I know that there have been a lot of overly-concerned discussion regarding ABL for video content, but what about web browsing from a PC?

The thing is, a lot of web pages are mostly white - this seems like a worst-case scenario for triggering ABL.

Now I know you could use some sort of inverted color scheme (I use such a thing myself at night), but that's not really an ideal option in my situation for various reasons that I'd rather not take the time to explain (it'd probably make this post three times longer!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Soooo....it's been 10 days, yet no replies.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just got an E6 today and wasnt exactly sure what SBL was, but now that I have a set i ****ing hate ABL. I have to research if it can be turned off or at least minimized.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Using an OLED for a PC monitor isn't going to work out well for normal tasks, but for gaming it should be great. There's no way to turn down or minimize the ABL, it is what it is. There's a way in the service menu to turn off the feature that will dim a static image after a minute and a half though, but the ABL will stick kick in regardless. Since the monitor is pretty big, you could always web browse in a smaller than full screen window and perhaps have a dark desktop image. Should help but not sure to what extent.

I would say if it was always dim it'd be pretty easy to eventually get used to, but as soon as you do something and the brightness increases again then dims it would be rather annoying. And no, apparently having your brightness turned way down will not reduce ABL, it will just dim even further.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 663
When I web browse, I turn OLED light to 0.

Otherwise my eyes hurt. Anyway, I don't see any ABL issues
post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Honestly, if your B6 doesn't have color shifts, I'd count yourself pretty lucky. Almost any large screen monitor is going to have some issues. The 70"+ Sharps in the office have severe pink banding on the sides, and a lot of LCDs suffer from DSE that the OLEDs really don't have.

Lesser of two evils imo, although you may not see it that way.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
When I web browse, I turn OLED light to 0.
I do something similar on my desktop PC, but unfortunately that won't really work for this use-case - I need to use the same settings for video and browsing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheBlue View Post
Since the monitor is pretty big, you could always web browse in a smaller than full screen window and perhaps have a dark desktop image.
Unfortunately this is not an option due to viewing distance.

I'm currently running 200% DPI scaling on a 39" 1080p TV (same desktop size as 960x540) purely due to the viewing distance. In case you aren't aware, 960x540 is not great for web browsing - I find that the ideal minimum is 1024x640 (yes, that's a 16:10 ratio, so for 16:9 you'd want 1152x648 instead).

By comparison, a 55" 2160p display would allow me to use 300% DPI scaling which gives a considerably larger desktop work-area (same as 1280x720) while also even giving a slightly larger UI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page