2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 224 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36523Likes

post #6691 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromPlasma2LCD View Post
What do you have your trumotion settings set to on cinema or any other mode? I feel like I have judder on EVERYTHING I watch on this tv on Netflix and Hulu. I hate judder and I hate soap opera affect. So far I've set trumotion to user and de-judder at 1 and de-blur at 0.
I'm with you. I can't believe there aren't more people on here talking about the motion. I had some very slight banding, but it's about 5% of my concern with this TV. The other 95% is motion. I've played with the settings until I'm exhausted (de judder to 0....all the way to 10...de blur at 0...all the way to 10, Cinema mode, HDR mode, DirectV, Netflix, etc.) and it's still borderline unwatchable on some content. Maybe it's because I came from a plasma?

For example, last night watching Game of Thrones on DirectV during the huge fight sequence at the end, it was a mess. I don't think my wife noticed, but that doesn't surprise me. I was SO distracted by the jerky motion that it severely hindered my watching experience. Also, is DirectV's 1080i just so poor that even this TV can't help it? In the dark scene with Arya and Sansa in the "basement", the black details were banded together in like 1 inch lines.

Anyback, back to the motion issues. The other night when watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon, there is a scene (maybe episode 3?) where they are inside a horse race spectator viewing area and so its dark inside and bright outside. The camera pans inside alone some bright windows separated by dark partitions and it was borderline comical at how the TV handled it. It reminded me of playing online video games years ago during a lag spike.

I'm really concerned here that I'm going to be continually frustrated every time I watch it. The content it seems to have the least problem with is HDR on Youtube or some 4k content on Netflix. Another example, I was watching Louis CK Netflix special, which is 4k, and he made a joke with a hand motion going in circles. So you had a white hand against a black background making a circle and it looked like if I froze it, there would be 40 fingers on the screen.

Any help here beyond just continuing to mess with the de judder and de blur settings? I've found you either get some of the judder out but you are left with a soap opera effect that looks NOTHING like how the director intended, or you are dealing with trailing artifacts that are so distracting it's hard to notice anything else.

Sorry, just a little frustrated today needed to vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 50
How can I tell I'm actually watching UHD in the Amazon app? It always starts at SD then ramps up resolution so the first 30 seconds or so look awful. Then I see the HDR logo pop up in the upper right of the screen, but when I hit pause it displays "HDR HD" in the bottom left, not "HDR UHD", which is confusing. I was watching the Le Mans series, which is one of the Amazon TV series the app says is available in UHD. I also see some occasional soap opera effect which I see no way to get rid of.
post #6693 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked: 3225
Quote:
Want know a secret. Part 2 was actually shot on a 2.8k digital camera and upconverted to 4k for the UHD release. I always check the internet before I buy a 4k movie to make sure the source is true 4k or higher or upconverted 4k. I'm not doubting that it looks amazing but studios lie. I wish it said somewhere on the box what resolution it was shot in so I don't have to GTS when I'm shopping.
That is very true. I talked to a film guy and back in the day he said the resolution of the film was much higher then current standards needed to be. Hence how the original star wars could be remastered.....

post #6694 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Want know a secret. Part 2 was actually shot on a 2.8k digital camera and upconverted to 4k for the UHD release.
It's still disappointing that the studio regressed in that way. I doubt they saved all that much money, but if consumers don't care if their UHD discs use upscaled blu-ray masters why should the studios? Imagine if people didn't complain about upscaled DVD masters when blu-ray was in its infancy.
post #6695 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG02 View Post
Also, is DirectV's 1080i just so poor that even this TV can't help it? In the dark scene with Arya and Sansa in the "basement", the black details were banded together in like 1 inch lines.

hey, i saw "1080i" in your comment and immediately thought of HDTVtest's review of the B7 where 1080-interlaced (maybe interlaced content in general) content had motion issues. He was able to fiddle with TruMotion and kinda fix it, but his conclusion is to use progressive-scan if available (maybe set your DirectTV to use 720p over 1080i?). here's the link:
Hope this helps!

LG OLED65C7P / Sony STR-DN1080 / Pioneer SP-PK52FS / Xbox One / PS4 Pro / Intel i7-2600k / Nvidia GTX 970
post #6696 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmme View Post
In HDR, only Game Mode grants you 21ms input lag. In SDR any mode has 21ms. That's on the latest firmware.
I game in Cinema HDR mode, it has the best image quality imo. It is slower than the game mode, but the perfect image quality worth the added input lag for me. If you need the best lag/IQ combination, then run the game in the Game Mode and move the White Balance slider to the left to W50 and also decrease the Colour setting down below 50, that will give you Image Quality very close to Cinema Mode and you will have the best input lag possible.
say whaaaat?? Who's tested this? I was under the impression that Game Mode was required for SDR and HDR mode if you want the slick ~20ms lag.

LG OLED65C7P / Sony STR-DN1080 / Pioneer SP-PK52FS / Xbox One / PS4 Pro / Intel i7-2600k / Nvidia GTX 970
post #6697 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn14 View Post
hey, i saw "1080i" in your comment and immediately thought of HDTVtest's review of the B7 where 1080-interlaced (maybe interlaced content in general) content had motion issues. He was able to fiddle with TruMotion and kinda fix it, but his conclusion is to use progressive-scan if available (maybe set your DirectTV to use 720p over 1080i?).
I have DirecTV and have only 1080p selected on my Genie, so I'm letting the Genie upscale everything to 1080p. Although I did not see GOT last night, I rarely see judder while watching regular TV from DirecTV.

LG OLED65C7 | Denon 2113CI | Klipsch 5.1 setup - 2 Forte - 1 R-25C - 2 R-14S
BA Sub w/Bosch amp | Sony BDP S570
post #6698 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
Apologies for quasi-modding, but there's a separate topic for this now. As someone who's been watching this thread for months and who's finally soon to receive a C7, can we please keep the slides in that topic? There's a ton of useful information about settings and other owner experiences here, but it was getting drowned out by non-stop 5% slides for a month or two. Hence the other topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Theirs no issue with occasionally showing slides in an owners thread, part of the experience.
Certainly not. But folks will probably get better answers from the dedicated thread from the people who are laser focused on uniformity, so a reminder of that thread is probably a good idea from time to time.
Culpepper likes this.
post #6699 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question Inputting % character on the native YouTube app?

Does anyone know how to input the "%" character on the native YouTube app? I might be missing something obvious but I can't find the character on the on-screen keyboard. I can only get the character to show up if I use the voice search feature + the original remote (the voice search understands the word percent as %), but was wondering if others have run into this issue or solved.
post #6700 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 179
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Hey guys, I have a nVidia Shield TV Pro (2017) and use it ONLY AND STRICTLY for watching apps such as Netflix, Amazon Videos, Sling TV, MLB.TV and HBO Go. I do not game or use Plex on it.

Seeing how the Shield does not pass Dolby Vision, do you think I am better off using the LG's apps instead?

I feel like the Shield in my case is overkill and sort of a step back actually, since it does not pass DV and I've even read that the PQ is a bit soft on the nVidia when compared to the LG's apps.

All of my critical viewing is done with ny Oppo 203 and UHD blu-rays. So for strictly streaming viewing, am I better off with the LG's apps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FOR SALE: Sony HW40ES / BIC Acoustech PL-200 sub

LG 65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Oppo 203 / Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by ERuiz; 08-07-2017 at 09:06 AM.
post #6701 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparedes View Post
Does anyone know how to input the "%" character on the native YouTube app? I might be missing something obvious but I can't find the character on the on-screen keyboard. I can only get the character to show up if I use the voice search feature + the original remote (the voice search understands the word percent as %), but was wondering if others have run into this issue or solved.
Not sure, but a workaround would be downloading the LG app on your smartphone and controlling the TV that way. You could use your smartphone keyboard to input that character.

post #6702 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG02 View Post
For example, last night watching Game of Thrones on DirectV during the huge fight sequence at the end, it was a mess. I don't think my wife noticed, but that doesn't surprise me. I was SO distracted by the jerky motion that it severely hindered my watching experience. Also, is DirectV's 1080i just so poor that even this TV can't help it? In the dark scene with Arya and Sansa in the "basement", the black details were banded together in like 1 inch lines.
I'm a 65E7P owner but figured I would weigh in here since the panels and processing are the same as the B7/C7. The Winterfell castle and crypt scenes last night were horrible on my OLED -- banding, smearing, and pixel flutter were unbelievably distracting. I did not, however, have any noticeable issue with the Wagon Train battle at the end. I'm quite sensitive to motion flaws and didn't see much more than the expected DirecTV macroblocking.
post #6703 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
Hey guys, I have a nVidia Shield TV Pro (2017) and use it ONLY AND STRICLY for watching apps such as Netflix, Amazon Videos, Sling TV, MLB.TV and HBO Go. I do not game or use Plex on it.

Seeing how the Shield does not pass Dolby Vision, do you think I am better off using the LG's apps instead?

I feel like the Shield in my case is overkill and sort of a step back actually, since it does not pass DV and I've even read that the PQ is a bit soft on the nVidia when compared to the LG's apps.

All of my critical viewing is done with ny Oppo 203 and UHD blu-rays. So for strictly streaming viewing, am I better off with the LG's apps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are selling the tv short if you do not use the built in apps for dolby vision.
raaj and smurraybhm like this.
post #6704 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
a workaround would be downloading the LG app on your smartphone and controlling the TV that way. You could use your smartphone keyboard to input that character.
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately the LG TV Plus app on Android only works after the TV is on and it uses a proxy for the magic mouse vs. giving you a keyboard input (unless I missed something about the app). Essentially the app wants me to navigate the on-screen keyboard as well.
post #6705 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:10 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmascatello View Post
I'm a 65E7P owner but figured I would weigh in here since the panels and processing are the same as the B7/C7. The Winterfell castle and crypt scenes last night were horrible on my OLED -- banding, smearing, and pixel flutter were unbelievably distracting. I did not, however, have any noticeable issue with the Wagon Train battle at the end. I'm quite sensitive to motion flaws and didn't see much more than the expected DirecTV macroblocking.
I experience the same flaws as well streaming GOT on HBO GO especially in scenes that were dark. Also experience the judders others have experienced with Truemotion on. With both Real motion and Truemotion off the picture looks really grainy. Are we suppose to just live with the flaws? This is my first OLED tv and I'm not so happy.
post #6706 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
Where can I get the information about which digital camera was used to shoot the movie?
http://www.arri.com/news/news/alexa-xt-on-john-wick/
Are you asking which specific camera was used or in general for all 4k movies? This is the specific camera used for John wick 2.
post #6707 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparedes View Post
You do what I do. P E R C E N T lol. I just typed out percent and something came up eventually. Do you have YouTube on your phone? You can search anything on the phone or tablet YouTube app and play it on your tv as long as both are on the same network. On the YouTube app there will be a small box that you click and it will show you all your devices for instance when I click the box it shows me my Xbox, my AVR, my roku and my tv. I can sync the video to all those devices
post #6708 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hi,

Pardon my ignorance, but I downloaded d-nice's slides yesterday and noticed they're full HD (1920x1080). Shouldn't I be using 3840x2160 slides?
post #6709 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You do what I do. P E R C E N T lol. I just typed out percent and something came up eventually. Do you have YouTube on your phone? You can search anything on the phone or tablet YouTube app and play it on your tv as long as both are on the same network. On the YouTube app there will be a small box that you click and it will show you all your devices for instance when I click the box it shows me my Xbox, my AVR, my roku and my tv. I can sync the video to all those devices
Thanks will give it a whirl, am surprised the designers of the App ran out of space on the virtual keyboard!
post #6710 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
So so hooked up the 4k Lg player and got it working. However, now my AVR isn't switching audio when I want to watch Netflix using the TV app. The picture does change, but I hear audio from my DirecTV receiver. I'm a dummy with this stuff. Can someone please help?

Here are my Denon 1100 AVR settings pictured below.

Also do I switch a certain setting on the TV settings? Thanks

Attachment 2264126

You must also use the ARC compatible hdmi input on the LG--hdmi 2 or connect with optical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6711 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmascatello View Post

Yep, low light GOT scenes have looks horrible this year. Problem is not the TV but a combination of it being only a 1080p source and high compression. It looks bad for everyone unless you view on a small screen.

post #6712 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vogels Next mount and LG 65B7

Does anyone have any experience with Vogels Next mount (NEXT series - full-motion) and LG 65B7?

My concern is that the bottom part of the mount will be visible due to LG's low placement of the mounting holes?
post #6713 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
Yep, low light GOT scenes have looks horrible this year. Problem is not the TV but a combination of it being only a 1080p source and high compression. It looks bad for everyone unless you view on a small screen.

shrug, I've viewed on Amazon and thought the low light GoT scenes looked quite good on the B7
post #6714 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Exactly, thank you for pointing this out. When it comes to streaming (compression) AND throw in that it's 1080p, the first casualty is always gonna be dark scenes. Noise, blocking, etc., you name it. It's just how it is. The only thing that may alleviate some of it would be playing with the Noise Reduction and/or MPEG Noise Reduction settings to get some "smoothing" effect over the image. Just my 2 cents
rsonnens likes this.

Last edited by glenn14; 08-07-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
post #6715 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Game of Thrones looked particularly awful last night on DirecTV and my new C7. I commented to my spouse that I was surprised Jon could see the cave art with all the macro blocking in the cave ...

The prior two episodes were watched on the HBO app via FireTV and were a bit better. It's clearly a content vs. TV issue and really has me thinking about speeding up my cord-cutting with DirecTV (FX is another network that looks brutal on DirecTV pretty regularly). Garbage-in - Garbage-out. Overall thrilled with the TV and feels more like my old Panny Plasma than the Samsung LCD I'd been living with the last few years.
post #6716 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a heads up guys... LG's warranty service is a joke.

I just got off of a 2 hour phone call, which was 90% "on hold" music, after already being 2 weeks into the process, to be told that they haven't decided whether to repair, replace, or refund, on a TV that worked for a whole 5 days.

The black line that appeared across the screen would hold me over until it gets fixed, but now the dang thing won't even stay on! It literally powers up, displays the background images, and shuts off. I'm half tempted to tear the thing open myself and check ribbons cables. I just want to use my gorgeous TV!!!

Anybody aware of any tricks I can do to keep the dumb thing on???

I asked about just sending me a replacement now, but they said it's against policy until a certain time frame has been met. I asked what kind of time frame, and she said she wasn't aware of one. WTF?
lightthief likes this.
post #6717 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHayBanda View Post
Hi,

Pardon my ignorance, but I downloaded d-nice's slides yesterday and noticed they're full HD (1920x1080). Shouldn't I be using 3840x2160 slides?
TV upconverts them to 4k. Since it's just one solid color it shouldn't matter.
lsorensen likes this.
post #6718 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Maybe it got lost in the shuffle so I will try again...

Any issues with the later firmware releases on this set? The unit I received has 3.51.30... are there any known issues with the latest releases, or should I hold off for now?
post #6719 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by domain View Post
Maybe it got lost in the shuffle so I will try again...

Any issues with the later firmware releases on this set? The unit I received has 3.51.30... are there any known issues with the latest releases, or should I hold off for now?
I've been holding off since the reports are that the upgrades break HDR on YouTube app and maybe other places.
post #6720 of 11235 Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
say whaaaat?? Who's tested this? I was under the impression that Game Mode was required for SDR and HDR mode if you want the slick ~20ms lag.
Game Mode is required only for HDR.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled (down in the Questions & Answers section)
Hi! I have the C7 and the Leo Bodnar tester and PC mode gives the same 21ms of lag even in ISF bright and dark modes, this is important to gamers that want accurate picture settings and the same low lag as game picture mode. This only works in PC mode! Also there is no ABL on this set of you keep the oled light at 35 or below. At 35 oled light it gives 150 nits. I thought you may want to inform buyers of these two things! Best regards, Luke

That is indeed correct and can be seen in our 4:4:4 input lag test. The text has been updated to better represent this. As for the ABL, we've found that there is still some dimming with the 100% slide while using a setting of 35, but only of about 20 cd/m2. This is minimal and definitely makes it less of an issue. The SDR peak brightness of the review has been updated accordingly. Thanks for the information!
Apr 24, 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
2017 , audio out , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , lg c7 , lg e7 , mount , oled , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page