2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 259 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36432Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7741 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 10:13 AM
Member
 
cjmac97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would you exchange?

My 65" B7 is being delivered tomorrow, and in preparation for its delivery I've been reading the calibration thread, which has lead me to the following question. I was able to get the B7 for about $1,000 less than the Sony A1E, which I thought was a good deal considering all the reviews I've read on both displays and the viewing I've done in person. That being said, the calibration thread seems to make it absolutely clear that the A1E is dramatically better at handling dark scenes with plenty of near-black detail, regardless of how good a calibration of the LG might be. Should I be worried or is the situation being exaggerated by perfectionists? Would you exchange, considering the price difference, before opening the box?

Thanks!
bigapp likes this.
cjmac97 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7742 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 16,989
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3021 Post(s)
Liked: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
If you had the opportunity to buy a Sony ZD9 75" for $6k, which is about 3k less than the going price but you were also interested in OLED but due to price you were limited to 65" size, what would you do? Consider that finances is not an issue, well unless going to 77" OLED which would be too high financially.
For most users bigger is better and the Z9D is one hell of a machine

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 08-30-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #7743 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Spiff69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
For most users bigger is better and the Z9D is one hell of a machine
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as this guy, but I am 12-13' away typically. As much as I want an OLED, 65" at that distance is nice, but nowhere near immersive anymore.

77s are just too rich still.

[Edited to remove pricing talk]

Last edited by Spiff69; 08-30-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Spiff69 is offline  
 
post #7744 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Member
 
MrFlooD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightthief View Post
I bought the all white version but recommend this as well. I was having eye strain issues and this helped a lot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just installed mine today, very happy with them. I previously had a cheaper set, and these look and feel much better.
lightthief likes this.
MrFlooD is offline  
post #7745 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Member
 
rego00123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaramn View Post
I guess the only option to solve the brightness issue is to decrease contrast to 60's but bring up the OLED Light value to 90's.. its still bright on white scenes but tolerable.

I cant believe how good and practical the Plasma technology is...
very unfortunate that the industry killed it.

If LG can have some algorithm in chip to provide an option to control the brightness of just White/grey color, that would be awesome.
It will solve the problem but its never gonna happen.

I am not sure if I am going to keep the LG or not.
Believe it or not, 4K content in my 1080 Plasma and LG is not that different.
My Plasma still awesome with the details.

Plasma was dropped for becoming impractical.
Not in the quality of its picture, but in the practicality of advancing the tech to get larger screen sizes and more energy efficient.

It tapped itself out in these regards.
PeteNeat likes this.
rego00123 is offline  
post #7746 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Fjodor2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
The problem is that when the TVs are set up from the factory these days (well, higher-end TVs like this OLED), HDR looks "correct" at the 100 OLED setting. So when you turn it down, you start losing highlights or compromising the image that HDR is trying to attain.
Hmmm... I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean that HDR looks "correct" at the 100 OLED setting?

Also, if you turn the TV's brightness setting down, of course the highlights will get less bright as well. That should be expected and not a problem, right? You can't have both max brightness for highlights and less overall brightness at the same time...
Fjodor2000 is offline  
post #7747 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What's everyone's thoughts on a basic beans calibration by myself? Right now I just basically copied the settings from Rtings, and opened up the calibration screen on my Xbox One and made slight adjustments in there.

For someone that isn't quite ready to spend 200-300 on a calibration equipment, is this good enough? Or do you guys have any better ideas?
Nsknuds is offline  
post #7748 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Member
 
Culpepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria BC Canada
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Hmmm... I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean that HDR looks "correct" at the 100 OLED setting?

Also, if you turn the TV's brightness setting down, of course the highlights will get less bright as well. That should be expected and not a problem, right? You can't have both max brightness for highlights and less overall brightness at the same time...
I believe "brightness" is black level, whereas "contrast" is white level. So despite the name of the control, brightness should not really control what we think of as brightness. Contrast should do that.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

LG OLED65B7P
Denon AVR-X4000
Infinity RS-II (bought new in 1980(!))
Infinity Kappa Center
Monster THX surrounds (4)
Culpepper is online now  
post #7749 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsknuds View Post
What's everyone's thoughts on a basic beans calibration by myself? Right now I just basically copied the settings from Rtings, and opened up the calibration screen on my Xbox One and made slight adjustments in there.

For someone that isn't quite ready to spend 200-300 on a calibration equipment, is this good enough? Or do you guys have any better ideas?
Copying some else's setting is probably the worse you can do. Every TV is different, just like a human being.

You don't need to spend 200-300 to calibrate... the Disney WOW disk or a the free Rec709 can get you in the right direction.
rotarydude is offline  
post #7750 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsknuds View Post
What's everyone's thoughts on a basic beans calibration by myself? Right now I just basically copied the settings from Rtings, and opened up the calibration screen on my Xbox One and made slight adjustments in there.

For someone that isn't quite ready to spend 200-300 on a calibration equipment, is this good enough? Or do you guys have any better ideas?
Copying some else's setting is probably the worse you can do. Every TV is different, just like a human being.

You don't need to spend 200-300 to calibrate... the Disney WOW disk or a the free Rec709 can get you in the right direction.
I'll try download that tonight and see how it goes.

Does it require any special glasses/software etc?
Nsknuds is offline  
post #7751 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmac97 View Post
That being said, the calibration thread seems to make it absolutely clear that the A1E is dramatically better at handling dark scenes with plenty of near-black detail, regardless of how good a calibration of the LG might be.
"Dramatically" is a strong word. The sets have different tone-mapping strategies, and those lead to slightly different strengths and weaknesses in terms of PQ. By all accounts of the limited, rigorous side-by-side comparisons (and there haven't been many), both sets look fantastic. The US shootout, based largely on fidelity to a reference monitor, gave the nod to the LG by a small margin. If there's any tentative conclusion I've seen here about the two sets as far as PQ is concerned, it's that the Sony has a slight edge in image processing (upscaling of low quality sources and motion processing), but that detail and accuracy are a push.

Speaking anecdotally and personally, I've had my C7 for a month or so and am always (involuntarily) looking at near-black areas of the image only because I'm aware of the various discussions here. I have not seen a single, identifiable artifact or defect. But your eyeballs may vary.
bigapp and Hresna like this.
tppytel is offline  
post #7752 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 4,825
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
Grab a string of Bias lights. That will help tremendously.

This a set I own, would recommended them highly. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as far as bias lighting...does it matter the color you have painted the back wall (behind the TV)?...my paint color is a light blue/green and someone once told me that adding bias lighting would make it look worse because the color will bounce off the back wall
TitusTroy is offline  
post #7753 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 03:51 PM
Member
 
StephanFL-US's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFL-US
I use LIFX Color 1000 bulbs, they're expensive and need a lamp, but flexibility is great, totally programmable via Alexa, Harmony, laptop, cellphone, etc.


You can pick 6500K, 7000K etc and many, many colors...

added 2 pix Attached Thumbnails

LG OLED65C7P - Pioneer VSX-1131 AVR (no Dolby Vision support at this time)
LG UP970 4k DV player - Samsung 4k player - Logitech Harmony Elite
Infinity Studio Monitors (bought 2000) - 15" woofers, 2 mids, 1 tweeter - Pioneer SP-C22 center spkr - SVS PB-1000 sub
2 Polk f/x500 surround (bought around 2001) - 2 Polk OWM3 high atmos
StephanFL-US is offline  
post #7754 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
HMMMM so are most of this issues with 65?
You're not going to see bands at 20% gray uniformity slide. Try a 5% slide and you will see bands. Or if you don't or never saw them don't use a 5% or you will never be able to unsee them. Double edged sword.
ataneruo and venus933 like this.
FromPlasma2LCD is offline  
post #7755 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
I know this may be a loaded question or request for opinions, but here it goes.

If you had the opportunity to buy a Sony ZD9 75" for $6k, which is about 3k less than the going price but you were also interested in OLED but due to price you were limited to 65" size, what would you do? Consider that finances is not an issue, well unless going to 77" OLED which would be too high financially.

Primary use would be gaming from console and PC with some UHD movie watching. Seating would be 7-8' away from the screen and seating would be straight on, so no concerns about view angles.

Just looking for opinions. Granted I know I am posting in a OLED LG thread, so I garner which way some would say, but taking into account it is mainly for gaming, you want good HDR performance and screen burn may be a concern, but I generally don't play the same game for 3-4-5 hours straight.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input.
Sony hasn't weirdly high input lag for 1080p gaming and has fluctuating input lag for different resolutions with HDR on or off. I would check rtings.com for Sonys input lag on the z9d. If it's annum Er you can play with then get it. For me Sonys input lag is too high and Number 1 reason I didn't go with Sony this year as I'm a gamer 1st.
FromPlasma2LCD is offline  
post #7756 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Flaken2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 63
OLED Light, Brightness and Contrast

With regards to the many posts about OLED Light, Brightness and Contrast, here are some things to consider

For SDR only

OLED Light controls the overall light output of the pixels, the luminance of the panel. This one is a matter of preference, room condition etc. Set this one first to your liking, then do Brightness and Contrast.

Brightness controls your black level. Set it too low and you will be crushing your blacks, losing near black details. Set it too high and your 0% black will be grey-ish.

Contrast controls your white level. Set it too low and your whites will be light grey. Set it to high and you will clip near 100% white details.

On picture presets ISF Expert Bright and Dark, Brightness and Contrast values are very good out of the box. But if you want them to be precise for your set (without calibration equipment), you can download the AVS HD 709 calibration patterns and either burn that on a disc or put it on a USB stick. Use the Basic Settings\Black Clipping pattern for setting Brightness and the Basic Settings\White Clipping pattern for setting Contrast.

For HDR, leave the above settings at their default values otherwise you're messing with the set's tone mapping.

Hope this helps.
richlux, Fjodor2000 and Culpepper like this.
Flaken2000 is online now  
post #7757 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by geophilips View Post
Anyone using an Xbox in PC Mode? I have preordered the One X but also want to use it as a UHD player and I would very much like to avoid switching between the ISF and Cinema modes to Game mode.

Just wondering what the compromises are (I know input lag is not an issue but more about things like juddering in BD playback due to no real cinema, etc.)
I use Xbox in game mode and when watching a UHD or streaming the tv automatically switches to cinema or isf for me. When I turn the Xbox back on my receiver automatically switches to my Xbox input and the tv automatic switches back to game mode. To manually switch from game mode to cinema or isf takes literally only seconds.
FromPlasma2LCD is offline  
post #7758 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,056
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromPlasma2LCD View Post
You're not going to see bands at 20% gray uniformity slide. Try a 5% slide and you will see bands. Or if you don't or never saw them don't use a 5% or you will never be able to unsee them. Double edged sword.
True about 20% and unseeing things. LOL! Unfortunately I can see a band or two with a 20% slide.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED
Denon X4300H
Oppo 203
Klipsch RVX‑42
VidPro is offline  
post #7759 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Member
 
zforgetaboutit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
Copying some else's setting is probably the worse you can do. ...
For my previous LG 55LE8500, I copied post-calibration settings for the same model from a review website - this was a big improvement for me. It went from the "classic in-store too-much-blue" to very attractive color details. I recorded the original settings by both writing them down, and taking pictures of the various menus.

Because I was so pleased with my result, I recommend trying it out if you have the time.
zforgetaboutit is offline  
post #7760 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmac97 View Post
My 65" B7 is being delivered tomorrow, and in preparation for its delivery I've been reading the calibration thread, which has lead me to the following question. I was able to get the B7 for about $1,000 less than the Sony A1E, which I thought was a good deal considering all the reviews I've read on both displays and the viewing I've done in person. That being said, the calibration thread seems to make it absolutely clear that the A1E is dramatically better at handling dark scenes with plenty of near-black detail, regardless of how good a calibration of the LG might be. Should I be worried or is the situation being exaggerated by perfectionists? Would you exchange, considering the price difference, before opening the box?



Thanks!


The a1e appears better because of internal processing. They have a function to take a 10bit signal and put it into a 14 bit signal which would make shadow areas smoother looking. That being said, and like others who own lg, there is nothing wrong with how lg's do in the shadows. Especially compared to last years model


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigapp likes this.
Wjboshart is offline  
post #7761 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Averhoeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just had my 65" B7A delivered this morning (free 2 day shipping makes that impulse buy feel sooooo good!). And FYI for those interested: there's a great deal out there that beats Amazon, Best Buy, etc by about 20-25% on these TVs from a licensed LG dealer and that's who I got it from. Since it's a no price-talk thread, feel free to PM if you want to know who and a price.
Anyway, The FedEx guy was going to try to carry it up the many stairs to my front door by himself! A part of me died a little inside as I ran to help him.
So far it looks gorgeous. Took a bit of fiddling since I'm still researching a 4K replacement for my receiver (currently a Denon 2112CI, thinking an X2300 or 3300) to get the audio working as intended over ARC, but its all good now. Just gotta sit and take the time to do a little basic calibrating now.

I want to make sure I'm interpreting Rtings lag timings correctly first though. These are for the C7, but the B7 should be identical. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/...comparison_831
This is saying that in game mode, 4K with HDR on has a lag of 21.1ms, but 4K with HDR outside of game mode is more like 63ms, correct? What do I lose by putting it into game mode? Why would I not just calibrate everything in game mode, even for movies etc? Or is there some distinct loss in HDR range or something inherent in putting it into game mode? I assume there has to be some sort of trade-off to essentially triple the lag. Also, I've calibrated (well, a basic home calibration, not professional) my last TV (Panasonic ST30 plasma) before, but that was just HD and no HDR. Are there newer calibration screens for HDR and 4K I should be using?

Thanks for the help!
c00kieman likes this.

Last edited by Averhoeven; 08-30-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Averhoeven is offline  
post #7762 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averhoeven View Post
Just had my 65" B7A delivered this morning (free 2 day shipping makes that impulse buy feel sooooo good!). And FYI for those interested: there's a great deal out there that beats Amazon, Best Buy, etc by about 20-25% on these TVs from a licensed LG dealer and that's who I got it from. Since it's a no price-talk thread, feel free to PM if you want to know who and a price.
Anyway, The FedEx guy was going to try to carry it up the many stairs to my front door by himself! A part of me died a little inside as I ran to help him.
So far it looks gorgeous. Took a bit of fiddling since I'm still researching a 4K replacement for my receiver (currently a Denon 2112CI, thinking an X2300 or 3300) to get the audio working as intended over ARC, but its all good now. Just gotta sit and take the time to do a little basic calibrating now.

I want to make sure I'm interpreting Rtings lag timings correctly first though. These are for the C7, but the B7 should be identical. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/...comparison_831
This is saying that in game mode, 4K with HDR on has a lag of 21.1ms, but 4K with HDR outside of game mode is more like 63ms, correct? What do I lose by putting it into game mode? Why would I not just calibrate everything in game mode, even for movies etc? Or is there some distinct loss in HDR range or something inherent in putting it into game mode? I assume there has to be some sort of trade-off to essentially triple the lag. Also, I've calibrated (well, a basic home calibration, not professional) my last TV (Panasonic ST30 plasma) before, but that was just HD and no HDR. Are there newer calibration screens for HDR and 4K I should be using?

Thanks for the help!
You don't want to use Game Mode for non-games because it greys out a bunch of options you might want. When you go through the picture options/expert options, you'll see a lot of things you can't change because turning them on would introduce processing latency which for gaming - is bad. 63ms is terrible in terms of latency, so I'm so glad that Game Mode exists. The new Everybody's Golf for PS4 that came out this week is a joy on the 2017 LGs.
WilliamG is online now  
post #7763 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 751
My 3rd C7, no comp cycles and maybe an hour on it:


No luck at all....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st 5% Slide.jpg (2.36 MB, 180 views)

LG OLED 65C7P, Denon AVR-X7200WA, Apple TV, Oppo UDP-203, PS4, Xbox One
Nvidia Sheild Pro, HTPC, (2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (4)RS-52IIs,, (1)RP-450CA,
(4) RP-140SA, SVS PB12-Plus, Emotiva XPA-100, XPA-200, Emotiva A-700
UN55KS9000, Denon x4200w, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, HTPC,
Nvidia Shield, Klipsch G-42,(2) R-3650-W-II,(4) RSL-C34E, SVS SB-1000, UPA-200
sikclown is offline  
post #7764 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Member
 
StephanFL-US's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
arggghhhh jail bars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
My 3rd C7, no comp cycles and maybe an hour on it:


No luck at all....


Mine has got worse as far as bars go in less than 2 months. But it got better after the start. I'm not playing the jail bar game unless it gets really bad. 1 hour is NOT a good time to evaluate.


DEFAULT COMP TIMES (adjustable in service mode):


Every 4 hrs: auto comp, +/- 10-15 mins
Every 2000 hrs: auto comp, + 60 mins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oled65c7p default comp hours.jpg (407.8 KB, 124 views)

LG OLED65C7P - Pioneer VSX-1131 AVR (no Dolby Vision support at this time)
LG UP970 4k DV player - Samsung 4k player - Logitech Harmony Elite
Infinity Studio Monitors (bought 2000) - 15" woofers, 2 mids, 1 tweeter - Pioneer SP-C22 center spkr - SVS PB-1000 sub
2 Polk f/x500 surround (bought around 2001) - 2 Polk OWM3 high atmos
StephanFL-US is offline  
post #7765 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 07:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Do the 2017 models have the same stutter issues as the 2016 ones?
MacBains is offline  
post #7766 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Archerkit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi all,

I'm really hoping to wait until next year until I do my technology upgrade, but recently my HT has been getting moody. I've got a 50" Panny PZ85U which randomly turns itself off. No blink code and it usually comes right back on. Just yesterday the HDMI out on my Pioneer 1018 failed, so now I've reverted to an HDMI switch and various optical/coax cables, losing my DTS-MA and TrueHD.

Looking at the B7/C7 after seeing OLED in person. After plasma I don't think I can go elsewhere. One particular tech question:

I use my PS4 is gaming mode, other devices (Frontier (u-verse IPTV), AppleTV, and Blu-Ray player) use a cinema mode with custom settings. Unfortunately on the old Panny you can't switch picture modes via a single button or reliable sequence, so my Harmony remote would be useless.

But each HDMI port does retain its own mode, so all the movie/TV devices go into the receiver and then out to a single port on the TV. And the PS4 goes to another port on the TV.

Can the B7/C7 picture modes be switched by a single button, i.e. part of a Harmony remote activity?

Lastly, I have mixed concerns about the observations here on the variances in picture quality. I'm already used to GoT (and anything else with dark scenes) looking like garbage when I watch them on Frontier. But it's one of those things I tend to gloss over until I get the BD release, and realize what I've been missing.

For those that have less than satisfactory gray tests, would dark scenes that already look lousy over TV look even worse than on my plasma?
Archerkit is online now  
post #7767 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 07:27 PM
Member
 
MrFlooD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You can setup a "Picture Mode" button on your harmony that will cycle through the presets. However, you also need to setup an "exit" button as the menu doesn't close by itself.

I have included these options on all my activities via the screen on my Harmony 650.
MrFlooD is offline  
post #7768 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFL-US View Post
Mine has got worse as far as bars go in less than 2 months. But it got better after the start. I'm not playing the jail bar game unless it gets really bad. 1 hour is NOT a good time to evaluate.


DEFAULT COMP TIMES (adjustable in service mode):


Every 4 hrs: auto comp, +/- 10-15 mins
Every 2000 hrs: auto comp, + 60 mins
Yeah I know 1 hour is not the time to evaluate but this is my 3rd, I don't have high hopes for this one.

LG OLED 65C7P, Denon AVR-X7200WA, Apple TV, Oppo UDP-203, PS4, Xbox One
Nvidia Sheild Pro, HTPC, (2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (4)RS-52IIs,, (1)RP-450CA,
(4) RP-140SA, SVS PB12-Plus, Emotiva XPA-100, XPA-200, Emotiva A-700
UN55KS9000, Denon x4200w, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, HTPC,
Nvidia Shield, Klipsch G-42,(2) R-3650-W-II,(4) RSL-C34E, SVS SB-1000, UPA-200
sikclown is offline  
post #7769 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 PM
Member
 
StephanFL-US's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlooD View Post
You can setup a "Picture Mode" button on your harmony that will cycle through the presets. However, you also need to setup an "exit" button as the menu doesn't close by itself.

I have included these options on all my activities via the screen on my Harmony 650.


I use Picture Mode on my Harmony Elite and I just press the hard EXIT button...

LG OLED65C7P - Pioneer VSX-1131 AVR (no Dolby Vision support at this time)
LG UP970 4k DV player - Samsung 4k player - Logitech Harmony Elite
Infinity Studio Monitors (bought 2000) - 15" woofers, 2 mids, 1 tweeter - Pioneer SP-C22 center spkr - SVS PB-1000 sub
2 Polk f/x500 surround (bought around 2001) - 2 Polk OWM3 high atmos
StephanFL-US is offline  
post #7770 of 10948 Old 08-30-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBains View Post
Do the 2017 models have the same stutter issues as the 2016 ones?
Nope. Playback is especially smooth, either in 24p (with TruMotion set to User with both sliders set to 0), or 60p for gaming. This is an exceptionally smooth TV.
WilliamG is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
2017 , audio out , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , lg c7 , lg e7 , mount , oled , problem

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off