2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1132Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: London
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 12
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

So I just placed my order for an OLED65B7V through an LG program I have through work so I thought I'd start THE thread.

Having read the Forbes review of the W7 and seen the difference in price on the Sony A1 I can't imagine the Sony will be good enough to make it worth paying the extra, so it's an easy decision. As far as I know the only difference between the B7 and the C7 (on a wall hang) is that the C7 has a two-tone bezel, which doesn't sound too appealing.
adamadamadam is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Revere, MA
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 330
My C7 is stuck on a truck in New York because of the blizzard. It's showing a delivery of Friday. I love Sony but I feel the same way about the extra cost. Plus I started this TV update journey with a $2500 limit for a 55" and then got the itch to jump up to the 65" since I've been stuck in the 50" and under world for a very long time. Now I'm in the $4500 plus range and any more than that buyers remorse will set in quickly.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.

LG OLED65C7P
Denon X4300H
Oppo 203
Klipsch RVX‑42
VidPro is online now  
post #3 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Revere, MA
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Hate the wait! When I ordered my car I spent the wait watching every YouTube video I could find. I've been doing the same with the jump OLED. I'm such a nerd.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.

LG OLED65C7P
Denon X4300H
Oppo 203
Klipsch RVX‑42
VidPro is online now  
 
post #4 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Member
 
Bob539's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ordered mine through bby on line a little over a week ago. Delivery date 4/4. I also wanted to give DNice a bump on if his initial impressions were still holding true.
Bob539 is offline  
post #5 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Revere, MA
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I'd like to hear an update too. I also hope he still makes his way to the Boston area so I can eventually have the C7 calibrated.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.

LG OLED65C7P
Denon X4300H
Oppo 203
Klipsch RVX‑42
VidPro is online now  
post #6 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: London
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
I'd like to hear an update too. I also hope he still makes his way to the Boston area so I can eventually have the C7 calibrated.
I heard that the out of the box settings are pretty good this time around.
adamadamadam is online now  
post #7 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: London
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob539 View Post
I ordered mine through bby on line a little over a week ago. Delivery date 4/4. I also wanted to give DNice a bump on if his initial impressions were still holding true.
Do you have a link on that?
adamadamadam is online now  
post #8 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
cbolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Looking forward to seeing these in the hands of people here. Very close to pulling the trigger on a 65" C7 but want to get early impressions before doing so!
cbolton is offline  
post #9 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Revere, MA
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I'll certainly post here Saturday. It'll take me most of Friday (depending on delivery time) to get it on its new wall mount. I'm expecting nauseating motion blur and artifacts along with screen uniformity that will having me jumping out of my third floor window.

All kidding aside, it's dead pixels and really bad screen uniformity that has me more worried than motion issues.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.

LG OLED65C7P
Denon X4300H
Oppo 203
Klipsch RVX‑42

Last edited by VidPro; 03-16-2017 at 03:53 AM.
VidPro is online now  
post #10 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,208
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamadamadam View Post
So I just placed my order for an OLED65B7V through an LG program I have through work so I thought I'd start THE thread.

Having read the Forbes review of the W7 and seen the difference in price on the Sony A1 I can't imagine the Sony will be good enough to make it worth paying the extra, so it's an easy decision. As far as I know the only difference between the B7 and the C7 (on a wall hang) is that the C7 has a two-tone bezel, which doesn't sound too appealing.
Why are you breaking the B7 and C7 series into their own owner's thread? Given the picture quality and processing is the same across the board for 2017 I don't see the logic. The only difference is cosmetics and audio. Why not have all the 2017 LG OLED models roll into one owners thread? I could see maybe breaking the W7 off separate given the unique nature of that set.
NUFC1000 likes this.

75X850C l 65B6P l P55-C1 l SB4551-D5 l XB1 S l PS4 Pro l LIVE:BPMURR l PSN:BPMURR
bpmurr is offline  
post #11 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: London
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
Why are you breaking the B7 and C7 series into their own owner's thread? Given the picture quality and processing is the same across the board for 2017 I don't see the logic. The only difference is cosmetics and audio. Why not have all the 2017 LG OLED models roll into one owners thread? I could see maybe breaking the W7 off separate given the unique nature of that set.
I was just copying last year's thread tbh. I suppose the E and G have sound and VESA differences
i2k likes this.
adamadamadam is online now  
post #12 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,149
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamadamadam View Post
I heard that the out of the box settings are pretty good this time around.
But I think those comments were based upon the units from the San Francisco event where it's possible LG calibrated them before hand. But hopefully those comments ring true with actual retail units.

Good luck to you and the other early adapters!
aypues likes this.

LG 65C7
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
venus933 is online now  
post #13 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 5,896
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Liked: 2426
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamadamadam View Post
I was just copying last year's thread tbh. I suppose the E and G have sound and VESA differences
If you want to change the thread title, report your first post and let the moderators know what you would like changed.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator
CalMAN Ultimate license FS


 
buzzard767 is offline  
post #14 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 15,779
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamadamadam View Post
So I just placed my order for an OLED65B7V through an LG program I have through work so I thought I'd start THE thread.
Great to Here they are in stock in London, they have just hit the bricks in the US too
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #15 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,149
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
If you want to change the thread title, report your first post and let the moderators know what you would like changed.
But if he changes the thread title to include all the models then he may get complaints from those who prefer one for each model. But not from me!

LG 65C7
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
venus933 is online now  
post #16 of 2408 Unread 03-15-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 5,896
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Liked: 2426
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
If you want to change the thread title, report your first post and let the moderators know what you would like changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
But if he changes the thread title to include all the models then he may get complaints from those who prefer one for each model. But not from me!
The moderator will change it to exactly what is requested. You can always remove the whiners from view....

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator
CalMAN Ultimate license FS


 
buzzard767 is offline  
post #17 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 03:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've finally unpacked my C7 65inch.

Here's the down and dirty.

Pros:
-Improvement in shadow detail as everyone as mentioned. There's a particular scene in the Batman: Dark knight that I use to determine loss of shadow detail which wasn't lost in the C7.
-HDR is also baked into youtube, as the HDR symbol pops up when playing a HDR clip.

Cons:
-The screen seems to be tilting backwards? I've tried all I can, adjusting as much as I can, but it seems to tilt back no matter what. I think I've got a dodgy stand.
-Still a bit of vignetting and slight dark streaks, but nothing as noticeable as my B6.

I'll pop in some pics at 5% for comparison between my B6 and C7

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7625.jpg
Views:	6741
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	2029601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7570.jpg
Views:	6559
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	2029609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7645.jpg
Views:	6514
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	2029617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7644.jpg
Views:	6381
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	2029633  
Jimmy6166 is offline  
post #18 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 03:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy6166 View Post
I've finally unpacked my C7 65inch.

Here's the down and dirty.

Pros:
-Improvement in shadow detail as everyone as mentioned. There's a particular scene in the Batman: Dark knight that I use to determine loss of shadow detail which wasn't lost in the C7.
-HDR is also baked into youtube, as the HDR symbol pops up when playing a HDR clip.

Cons:
-The screen seems to be tilting backwards? I've tried all I can, adjusting as much as I can, but it seems to tilt back no matter what. I think I've got a dodgy stand.
-Still a bit of vignetting and slight dark streaks, but nothing as noticeable as my B6.

I'll pop in some pics at 5% for comparison between my B6 and C7

Enjoy!
Thank you for this feedback !
Couple of questions :

- Have you tried HDR on UHD Blu-Ray ? How is the peak brightness ? Is it good ?
- Do you see this vignetting and streaks on real content ?

Regarding the tilting, maybe it's normal ?

Thanks
Manuxs1806 is online now  
post #19 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,912
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 2434
If you look hard enough, any streaks will eventually show up in content. Just the nature of the backplane beast.
vaktmestern likes this.
video_analysis is offline  
post #20 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 03:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
If you look hard enough, any streaks will eventually show up in content. Just the nature of the backplane beast.

Then what to do ? Exchange the screen and hope for less visible streaks on the next one ? Or consider it's part of the technology and try to get used to it despite the high price ?
Manuxs1806 is online now  
post #21 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,912
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 2434
The latter...that hunt will make you miserable and cause you to develop many prematurely gray hairs. After 5 OLEDs, I haven't found one without the streaking showing up somewhere (the 65" G6 has come the closest to being free of it). Despite this, the benefits of zero blacks outweigh the cons (NOT including the ugly 2015 models).
vaktmestern likes this.
video_analysis is offline  
post #22 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Revere, MA
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 330
That doesn't look bad in compassion to what I've seen on here by other members. Hopefully it'll get even better over time.

I will not perform any slide tests (must resist my tech nerd OCD habits), I am going to just use it as I normally would. If it's easily apparent in normal content I'll go ahead and run slides to see how bad it is.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.

LG OLED65C7P
Denon X4300H
Oppo 203
Klipsch RVX‑42
VidPro is online now  
post #23 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy6166 View Post
-Still a bit of vignetting and slight dark streaks, but nothing as noticeable as my B6.

I'll pop in some pics at 5% for comparison between my B6 and C7

Enjoy!
Have you run any automatic wear compensation cycles on the set before taking those pics? Need to run for 4 hours, then turn off the display and wait.

So far, I think I actually prefer the 5% uniformity of your B6. Pretty mild right side 'zipper' vignetting compared to some of the examples posted here.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #24 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,912
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 2434
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
That doesn't look bad in compassion to what I've seen on here by other members. Hopefully it'll get even better over time.

I will not perform any slide tests (must resist my tech nerd OCD habits), I am going to just use it as I normally would. If it's easily apparent in normal content I'll go ahead and run slides to see how bad it is.
Hope you weren't referring to my latest, I have struck out too many times.

We badly need an update from D-Nice...he caught them in content early on.
video_analysis is offline  
post #25 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,149
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Have you run any automatic wear compensation cycles on the set before taking those pics? Need to run for 4 hours, then turn off the display and wait.

So far, I think I actually prefer the 5% uniformity of your B6. Pretty mild right side 'zipper' vignetting compared to some of the examples posted here.
I don't know, I think the later (C7) would look (in terms of banding) better with most content. In any event it'll be interesting to see how it (slides) looks with some hours on it.

LG 65C7
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
venus933 is online now  
post #26 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: London
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy6166 View Post
I've finally unpacked my C7 65inch.
Congrats. Can you post pictures of the 2-tone bezel? What's the motion like?
adamadamadam is online now  
post #27 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,208
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy6166 View Post
I've finally unpacked my C7 65inch.

Here's the down and dirty.

Pros:
-Improvement in shadow detail as everyone as mentioned. There's a particular scene in the Batman: Dark knight that I use to determine loss of shadow detail which wasn't lost in the C7.
-HDR is also baked into youtube, as the HDR symbol pops up when playing a HDR clip.

Cons:
-The screen seems to be tilting backwards? I've tried all I can, adjusting as much as I can, but it seems to tilt back no matter what. I think I've got a dodgy stand.
-Still a bit of vignetting and slight dark streaks, but nothing as noticeable as my B6.

I'll pop in some pics at 5% for comparison between my B6 and C7

Enjoy!
Looks like a keeper to me! Not bad enough to play the exchange game with. Looking forward to more of your impressions as you spend time with the set.
Jimmy6166 likes this.

75X850C l 65B6P l P55-C1 l SB4551-D5 l XB1 S l PS4 Pro l LIVE:BPMURR l PSN:BPMURR
bpmurr is offline  
post #28 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Revere, MA
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Hope you weren't referring to my latest, I have struck out too many times.

We badly need an update from D-Nice...he caught them in content early on.
No, not at you.

I'm hoping and maybe even a little bit of praying I don't go through this nightmare. I get the C7 tomorrow and it will take me a bit to mount it. I have this urge to set it up on a table before I even go through the process just to give it a quick check.

I have this urge to do a slide break-in like the one I did with my Pioneers but I'm not sure if there is even a process that has been posted to do this with an OLED.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.

LG OLED65C7P
Denon X4300H
Oppo 203
Klipsch RVX‑42

Last edited by VidPro; 03-16-2017 at 05:25 AM.
VidPro is online now  
post #29 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
The latter...that hunt will make you miserable and cause you to develop many prematurely gray hairs. After 5 OLEDs, I haven't found one without the streaking showing up somewhere (the 65" G6 has come the closest to being free of it). Despite this, the benefits of zero blacks outweigh the cons (NOT including the ugly 2015 models).
Thank you. This will be my first OLED (hoepfully, I will get it on saturday), so I am quite anxious.
In the past, I got plasma and LED, all with uniformity issues.
And yes, the hunt for the perfect screen got me into a few family crisis, and I lost everytime
video_analysis likes this.
Manuxs1806 is online now  
post #30 of 2408 Unread 03-16-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 15,779
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
I have this urge to do a slide break-in like the one I did with my Pioneers but I'm not sure if there is even a process that has been posted to do this with an OLED.
Break in is always a choice. If you choose to do it, the slides would be the same.....
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
2017 , Gaming , lg c7 , lg e7 , mount , oled



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off