Looking to Replace my 65" VT60 Plasma ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking to Replace my 65" VT60 Plasma ?

Unfortunately my Panny Plasma needs replaced due to a bad non-replaceable motherboard and trying to decide which route to go, any help is much appreciated and below are some thoughts ? Warranty company will only replace with an LG LED UHD 65" or $1500 cash back, leaning toward the cash back and purchasing a better TV but still trying to work with them to get maybe an OLED replacement or more $$ back...

OLED or Higher End LED ?? Major difference in the 2 ?
May think about going up in size to a 70-75" screen but don't wanna break the bank??
3D is not really required since we never really used it on the plasma.
We have an Denon-AVR and 7.2 we run audio through when needed for movies and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 144
If you simply want the best video experience currently available in a consumer product, buy the 65" B, C or E7 TV from LG.

I own a 2016 model E6 and it's fantastic.
roadking00 likes this.
post #3 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Guess it depends on what you prioritize more.

If you bought the VT60 for black levels(which I assume you did) then you will probably not be happy with anything less than OLED. Since you don't care about 3D and have your own sound system and assume lag time isn't important, I'd suggest the B6/7. The B6 has all the same qualities as the the upper models but has a slightly slower processor and is actually a bit brighter since it doesn't have a 3D filter. The B7 hasn't been tested so should wait to see how it compares to the upper 7 models.

If size is more important though, the new Sony 900E is a pretty sweet 75" TV that won't break the bank (relative to a 77" OLED )
roadking00 likes this.

post #4 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Reviews suggest that the 2017 LG OLED displays are significantly better than the 2016 models. That's what I would recommend. All the 2017 LG OLEDs have the same PQ - the only differences are features and cosmetics.
post #5 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas1888 View Post

If you bought the VT60 for black levels(which I assume you did) then you will probably not be happy with anything less than OLED. Since you don't care about 3D and have your own sound system and assume lag time isn't important, I'd suggest the B6/7. The B6 has all the same qualities as the the upper models but has a slightly slower processor and is actually a bit brighter since it doesn't have a 3D filter. The B7 hasn't been tested so should wait to see how it compares to the upper 7 models.

If size is more important though, the new Sony 900E is a pretty sweet 75" TV that won't break the bank (relative to a 77" OLED )
For gaming I think the B6 would be the best bet since its input lag / response time is 28ms. The other models are in the low to mid 30's ms.

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
post #6 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Liked: 2730
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Reviews suggest that the 2017 LG OLED displays are significantly better than the 2016 models. That's what I would recommend. All the 2017 LG OLEDs have the same PQ - the only differences are features and cosmetics.
Personally, I'd wait for more owner comparisons before throwing around "significantly" too haphazardly. These reviewed 2017 models were no doubt handpicked by LG and calibrated prior to evaluating.
post #7 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Personally, I'd wait for more owner comparisons before throwing around "significantly" too haphazardly. These reviewed 2017 models were no doubt handpicked by LG and calibrated prior to evaluating.
It's not just professional reviews. D-Nice, who is very well respected on the forum, stated the 2017 LG OLEDs are the first displays that tempt him to replace his Kuro displays, that they are that good. And yes, he calibrated the C7 he is evaluating. I am considering an OLED (I currently have a Panny plasma), and am giving the same advice I am giving myself - I would only buy a 2017 OLED (whether LG or Sony) based on everything I have read so far (the 2017's are not in the stores yet, but I will certainly try to see both the 2016's and 2017's before making a final decision),
post #8 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am aware of that and have read his remarks, but it's just one opinion, and I have also seen owner photos showing the same backplane structural defects. 2018 will introduce even more radical changes (as confirmed by LG themselves) and is what I would recommend anyone to wait for if they haven't jumped in by now. 2016, with its last 3D hurrah, is the last one I could conceivably go for.
Superman23 likes this.
post #9 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 69
to me the biggest overblown thing between the 2016 and 2017 lg oled is black crush ,the 2017 out of the box are better ,but the 2016 can be tweaked to display near black and pure black just as well as my zt 60 .and the biggest thing they have not addressed with the 2017 is motion ,and or came up with a better tru motion.so i agree if u dont have an 2016 ,wait for the 18s
post #10 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Ok then now I get the 2016 set, without 3d though, I dont care about 3d, at least its not worth paying 500 dollars more
then i get a new oled in 2018-2019
post #11 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I am aware of that and have read his remarks, but it's just one opinion, and I have also seen owner photos showing the same backplane structural defects. 2018 will introduce even more radical changes (as confirmed by LG themselves) and is what I would recommend anyone to wait for if they haven't jumped in by now. 2016, with its last 3D hurrah, is the last one I could conceivably go for.
Fair enough. I may wait for the 2018's as well.
post #12 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas1888 View Post

Thanks for the input , my biggest issue is not wanting to spend too much more then I need to right now to get a good TV back in my LR ASAP but don't wanna settle for the lower end LG 65UH8500 LED TV the warranty company thinks is a comparison replacement. Sounds like I am better off taking the cash and add some more minimal cash and just go with the 65"LG B6 OLED for now so I can get a good quality TV for now rather then wait for the newest/better technology in a year or so and just spend even more $$ then....Cant really wait that much longer to not have a TV in the LR for the family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Sounds good but I'm sure it will be a while before the prices drop in the range of the 2016 models...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
For gaming I think the B6 would be the best bet since its input lag / response time is 28ms. The other models are in the low to mid 30's ms.
It wont be used for gaming but for a good quality OLED TV at a doable price range right now this may just be what I need to get to try them out ... Maybe with some haggling I can get the warranty company to replace it with this at the very minimum??
post #13 of 38 Old 03-24-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post
Thanks for the input , my biggest issue is not wanting to spend too much more then I need to right now to get a good TV back in my LR ASAP but don't wanna settle for the lower end LG 65UH8500 LED TV the warranty company thinks is a comparison replacement. Sounds like I am better off taking the cash and add some more minimal cash and just go with the 65"LG B6 OLED for now so I can get a good quality TV for now rather then wait for the newest/better technology in a year or so and just spend even more $$ then....Cant really wait that much longer to not have a TV in the LR for the family...

Sounds good but I'm sure it will be a while before the prices drop in the range of the 2016 models...

It wont be used for gaming but for a good quality OLED TV at a doable price range right now this may just be what I need to get to try them out ... Maybe with some haggling I can get the warranty company to replace it with this at the very minimum??
Ok so if you're not a gamer then I must say that watching the NCAA tourney is sweet! Sporting events are awesome too!
roadking00 likes this.

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
post #14 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2915 Post(s)
Liked: 3088
post #15 of 38 Old 03-25-2017, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
For a plasma guy, I would say OLED under 65" ///// Over 65".... XBR-75X940D before they are gone.......
Thanks man...Looking at the 65"E6 or B6 now....Did see a pretty decent deal on a 75"Sony 850D as well....

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
post #16 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like my persistence paid off with my warranty company about a quality replacement, got a check coming for $2400 instead of the $1400 lower end LED they tried pawning off on me, now to decide how much $$ I'll be adding to it to get an OLED 65" to replace it or go with a 75" 940D to bump up the size a bit 😀

post #17 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

are you using ST (squaaretrade), I'm in the same process except to replace my Samsung 60 PNF8500 Plasma, they offered me the 55" B6 I tried to argue size does matter but they they don't agree and insist it is a comparable TV.
post #18 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by achebee4you View Post
are you using ST (squaaretrade), I'm in the same process except to replace my Samsung 60 PNF8500 Plasma, they offered me the 55" B6 I tried to argue size does matter but they they don't agree and insist it is a comparable TV.
No, BWG warranty... At least they offered you an OLED, then didn't even offer that to me at all.. I guess because a 65" B6 was more then the $2400 max they would have to pay out for a "like kind" comparable TV ? The last offer they tried was a $1500 S8000 Samsung LED. When I turned that down and basically said I was in no rush and willing to take my time and email my AG in my state along with his team under him, the consumer protection agency, and had the name/number/email of the higher ups in the warranty company I received a return phone call about an hour or so later with the max cash buy out offered to me You just cant compare the quality of the lower end LED's against a Plasma...All I can say is stand your ground and demand a "Like Kind" and same size for your replacement, or take the max buy out in cash if thats an option with ST and add some cash to it and get a good replacement.
colonel7 likes this.
post #19 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
No, BWG warranty... At least they offered you an OLED, then didn't even offer that to me at all.. I guess because a 65" B6 was more then the $2400 max they would have to pay out for a "like kind" comparable TV ? The last offer they tried was a $1500 S8000 Samsung LED. When I turned that down and basically said I was in no rush and willing to take my time and email my AG in my state along with his team under him, the consumer protection agency, and had the name/number/email of the higher ups in the warranty company I received a return phone call about an hour or so later with the max cash buy out offered to me You just cant compare the quality of the lower end LED's against a Plasma...All I can say is stand your ground and demand a "Like Kind" and same size for your replacement, or take the max buy out in cash if thats an option with ST and add some cash to it and get a good replacement.
$2400 is what i paid for my Plasma too. I jsut can't get over the fact that although their offer is an OLED i have to downgrade the size of my TV to 55". To me 55" TV is not an equivalent to a 60" TV, depsite the OLED having the same PQ as my plasma. my custom made built in enternatainment center was built for a 60" TV a 55" which look stupid in there. I requested them to pay me out and they still are refusing. Their first offer was a 60" KS8000 which i refused as well.
post #20 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
$2400 is what i paid for my Plasma too. I jsut can't get over the fact that although their offer is an OLED i have to downgrade the size of my TV to 55". To me 55" TV is not an equivalent to a 60" TV, depsite the OLED having the same PQ as my plasma. my custom made built in enternatainment center was built for a 60" TV a 55" which look stupid in there. I requested them to pay me out and they still are refusing. Their first offer was a 60" KS8000 which i refused as well.
Stick to your guns and get others involved if need be, or at least mention it on the next call like I did. "Like Kind" applies to size as well...you should NOT have to down size at all.
post #21 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Stick to your guns and get others involved if need be, or at least mention it on the next call like I did. "Like Kind" applies to size as well...you should NOT have to down size at all.
i tried to call ST and the guy on the phone even agreed there is a discernible difference going from a 60 to a 55" however he said he could not make the decision about a check settlement and that i had to reply to the counteroffer email. SO basically i can't speak with anyone on the phone who can make a decision on this other than reply to that email. They agreed via email by offering my an OLED TV is comparable PQ to that of my plasma and then within the same said email couldn't offer the 65" since it was more than my coverage ($2400). And therefore could only offer me a 55". My conclusion from all their emails is 1. they agreed only an OLED = PQ requirements to that of my plasma so they have no choice but to offer me an OLED, 2. they would have offered me a 65" but it was out of my coverage cost ($2400) so i'm left with a 55". 3. I conclude then simply by their email responses they cannot offer me a comparable replacement, which in my opinion is a 60" OLED TV (i don't believe exist) so they should pay me a cash settlement instead. Am i in the wrong here, this process is making a bit sick to my stomach to say the least.
post #22 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
i tried to call ST and the guy on the phone even agreed there is a discernible difference going from a 60 to a 55" however he said he could not make the decision about a check settlement and that i had to reply to the counteroffer email. SO basically i can't speak with anyone on the phone who can make a decision on this other than reply to that email. They agreed via email by offering my an OLED TV is comparable PQ to that of my plasma and then within the same said email couldn't offer the 65" since it was more than my coverage ($2400). And therefore could only offer me a 55". My conclusion from all their emails is 1. they agreed only an OLED = PQ requirements to that of my plasma so they have no choice but to offer me an OLED, 2. they would have offered me a 65" but it was out of my coverage cost ($2400) so i'm left with a 55". 3. I conclude then simply by their email responses they cannot offer me a comparable replacement, which in my opinion is a 60" OLED TV (i don't believe exist) so they should pay me a cash settlement instead. Am i in the wrong here, this process is making a bit sick to my stomach to say the least.
That's exactly what I would have said...Then ask to bump it up to the next level of supervisor if needed..

post #23 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You're coming from Plasma, I would think you'd have to go OLED.
I just couldn't do LCD/LED

LG 65EF9500 OLED (511)
HTPC- Titan Black Intel Core i7 3930
Denon AVR-X2300W Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver
post #24 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let it be a lesson learned, don't buy a SquareTrade Warranty again. Imagine the hell you'll have to go through if for some horrific reason there is no OLED TV in the future if/when your next TV fails.
post #25 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Let it be a lesson learned, don't buy a SquareTrade Warranty again. Imagine the hell you'll have to go through if for some horrific reason there is no OLED TV in the future if/when your next TV fails.
lesson learned, but now i may be stuck with only having to accept a smaller 55" OLED to replace me beloved 60" plasma.
post #26 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You probably paid bottom dollar for it, but I concur there is a reason they offer the lowest price. Some folks have had success in haggling, but it's not worth the trouble to save a few bucks as far as I can tell.
post #27 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
lesson learned, but now i may be stuck with only having to accept a smaller 55" OLED to replace me beloved 60" plasma.
I will forward you a PM in your inbox that another forum member sent me by mistake thinking I was the one with the ST warranty issue, he had the same issue and has alot of great info you can reply to them with to most likely rectify the issue and get what you deserve.

Quote:
You probably paid bottom dollar for it, but I concur there is a reason they offer the lowest price. Some folks have had success in haggling, but it's not worth the trouble to save a few bucks as far as I can tell.
In my case the little determination /haggling scored me an additional $900 from what they were going to send me as a cash buy out, well worth the time and minimal trouble for me.
post #28 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 07:16 PM

i actually bought costco's ST warranty. I guess it is better than nothing. I cut out a cardboard frame to see what a 55" will look like in my custom built in. It looks stupid to say the least.
post #29 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I will forward you a PM in your inbox that another forum member sent me by mistake thinking I was the one with the ST warranty issue, he had the same issue and has alot of great info you can reply to them with to most likely rectify the issue and get what you deserve.

In my case the little determination /haggling scored me an additional $900 from what they were going to send me as a cash buy out, well worth the time and minimal trouble for me.

that's be great funny thing too this is my 6th ST warranty my first claim was for a baby monitor no issues there they issued me a check for the purchase price. This on the other hand is a nightmare here is what ST said when i replied saying the 55" is unaccepptable and not eqaul to a 60" "Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, manufacturers often change cosmetic features, such as the bezzle of the television or other aesthetic features, when launching newer TV models. Since these don't affect the functionality of a TV, it is possible that your replacement TV may differ in certain dimensions. Since we were able to find a TV of comparable specifications to your original TV, we are unable to provide you a reimbursement for your TV.

Please let us know if you'd like to proceed with the original replacement TV."
post #30 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
that's be great funny thing too this is my 6th ST warranty my first claim was for a baby monitor no issues there they issued me a check for the purchase price. This on the other hand is a nightmare here is what ST said when i replied saying the 55" is unaccepptable and not eqaul to a 60" "Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, manufacturers often change cosmetic features, such as the bezzle of the television or other aesthetic features, when launching newer TV models. Since these don't affect the functionality of a TV, it is possible that your replacement TV may differ in certain dimensions. Since we were able to find a TV of comparable specifications to your original TV, we are unable to provide you a reimbursement for your TV.

Please let us know if you'd like to proceed with the original replacement TV."
2 PM's sent, take a look and utilize the info if you choose....good stuff..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page