AVS Forum banner

Consumer Reports rates 2017 LG C7 OLED Best 4K TV

6K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  dominica 
#1 ·
#7 ·
The only reason I picked up 2016 is the LG 3D. With the 2017 LG dropping the 3D I'd be looking at the Sony this year for their potential BFI feature alone.

Any news on the Sony even having a CMS though? I thought they normally didn't include them and so were impossible to dial in completely themselves.

#10 ·
Any news on the Sony even having a CMS though? I thought they normally didn't include them and so were impossible to dial in completely themselves.
No the Sony does not have a CMS and it does need one.

#9 ·
Out-the-box, the A1 is really that good.. I don't think there's anything more that can be squeezed out..

Reactions: Jesse Coane
#16 ·
I'd love to have a side by side comparison in my home but that ain't gonna happen without a divorce. Like everything else, I'm assuming it's somewhere in the middle with all this talk that seems over the top.

Can't wait to see what the OLED landscape is like in a couple of years.

Reactions: shyguy3763
#20 ·
No one outside maybe 100 people cares about Panasonic.

#25 ·
I do love Sony. It seems like the first of anything they build is like a tank and I love that. My friend had the original Walkman and kept all these years. I bought the first Sony CD player when a CD tray was made out of metal. It's the little things. :)

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the next CES to see what we can expect and what I need to save up for. :)

Oh and add me to the people that care about Panasonic. I had a Panasonic plasma and really liked it...until I got Pioneer fever.

#27 ·
Yeah it's too bad it wasnt until at the very end of Panasonic's plasmas that the ZT60 finally matched the Pioneers 500M / 600M, 101 and 141. I had the ZT60 and loved it but it was time for me to upgrade to my B6.

#28 ·
"Shopping links are provided by eBay Commerce Network and Amazon, which makes it easy to find the right product from a variety of online retailers. Clicking any of the links will take you to the retailer's website to shop for this product. Please note that Consumer Reports collects fees from both eBay Commerce Network and Amazon for referring users. We use 100% of these fees to fund our testing programs."

http://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/best-4k-tvs-to-buy-right-now/

#38 ·
"Shopping links are provided by eBay Commerce Network and Amazon, which makes it easy to find the right product from a variety of online retailers. Clicking any of the links will take you to the retailer's website to shop for this product. Please note that Consumer Reports collects fees from both eBay Commerce Network and Amazon for referring users. We use 100% of these fees to fund our testing programs."

http://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/best-4k-tvs-to-buy-right-now/
All I can say about CR is ???. Years ago the tested some car tires including all-season and summer high performance. The all-season was picked as the winner because; IT WAS BETTER IN THE RAIN!

That was the last issue of CR I ever read.

#29 ·
Panasonic and Sony have a different approach, but I think they both produce decent TVs. Panasonic are (unusually) targeting the videophile that, as far as such things are possible, wants the most accurate image. Every recent year they've been displaying their best TVs next to pro monitors. This looks like such a comparison, with their EZ OLED next to what I guess is a Sony BVM or similar:

Panasonic's colour accuracy and their CMS is, if anything, even more impressive than in their plasma days. I feel that being freed from the peculiarities of plasma might have been somewhat liberating for them. And my completely subjective opinion is that their recent displays (OLED & FALD LCD) are better than their plasmas were.

Where Panasonic take a more "pure" approach, Sony perhaps offer more in the way of good enhancements. Whilst some of those may produce something that deviates from what is strictly accurate, there are many viewers here who appreciate the results.

If you want your source material cleaned up, you'd probably be best off with the Sony. If you want as accurate a presentation as possible, warts and all, then I suspect the forthcoming Panasonic would edge it.

#44 · (Edited)
If Panasonic Oled did come to the USA with a model next year with HDMI 2.1 I would bite and live without Dolby Vision. Panasonic is that is good. I never been a fan of Sony and their elitist attitude about their products. I know a Sony rep who is a really nice guy but getting info out him is like pulling teeth. You never get the full story form Sony and everything is always a secret.

#46 ·
Honestly, I'd be surprised to see reviews line up with the Sony shilling, be we will see. I took a few trips to Best Buy to look at the Sony A1E, and if doesn't seem to benefit much from calibration like some seem to say, then I guess I just didn't find it all the impressive compared to my C7. Had a few chats with a Sony rep who was present and he was very desperate to sell these TV's, even going as far to say as the Sony A1E doesn't suffer from vignetting/vertical banding. Also boasted up the processing like some members of this forum in a similar manner. Just reeked of snake oil sales tactics (which I know many videophiles and audiophiles are big fans of). Who knows, C7 just might measure up to be the best TV (particularly if value is taken into consideration).

#49 ·
So I just left Best buy and they had the E7 and the A1E side by side and to be honest there was not much of a difference and they were being broadcasted on Direct TV. I do not see what the hype of the Sony is. Also the speakers on the back makes the tv stick out far by no means flush or close to flush.

#54 ·
Just wanted to chime in quick here. I have the 55" C7 LG OLED. It's a good gaming display in addition to a great 60hz 4K display.

I also have a 4K display that does 120Hz input. This requires two cables (bandwidth).

In all cases of 120Hz, it would be better with a top-down scanning BFI technology. The sort of multiple backlights that Panasonic has done are almost as good. But one scanline being blacked out at a time after being displayed for a portion of the display period would probably give the best results.

This C7 has a lot of hope and promise to go the next step since they have done the latency reduction work already as well as the EDID problem to open it up to more people.

#56 ·
I have been debating over the sony adn LG for a few weeks then i saw this vid on you tube. I like the sony for teh built in audio and while i save for speakers but this made me think difrently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6IflKAmWg

It is a long VID but you will see wear all three Sony, LG and pany deal with brightness or how he puts it tone maping difrentlly
A1E decimates the C/E7. Personally not surprised after playing with them both for a week.

#58 ·
Sometimes I feel like I'm watching the wrong videos here. I see a well thought out video and then the comments make me shake my head.

#60 ·
I thought the Pany looked better than the AE1 or the LGC7, the AE1 had much less detail in the image of the person and the lighting bolt was just a bright area. the LG7 showed great detail but the image got real dark to do this you could see this with how dark his skin tone was, The panny look the best. These wear still images though and if the Sony was calibrated difrent maybbe it would show more detail. I see good reviews og the LGC7 on Crutchfield but on amason and best buy I see more bad ones than i care to see on a high end TV.
I wish Panny still sold in the US.
Sony may look better after some firmware updates too. It is still a new TV so improment ar sure to come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.