2017 LG OLED E7/G7 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

post #421 of 466 Old 09-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrouach View Post
I know you don't calibrate TV before 200 hours but can I myself change settings adjust the picture before or that too must wait??

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Of course you can. It's not going to harm your panel. Many people run slides for the first 100 hours of full field colors running on vivid mode to help break in their panels, which would be much more strenuous on the display than whatever you have it set to.

For regular 1080p/4K SDR content I'll make mention as I did prior that I do not agree with Cnets and rtings general picture settings for Gamma of 2.2(outside of calibrating) . I find for both ISF Dark Room/Bright Room picture modes the default is pretty spot on and that the gamma set to the default of BT.1886 in a dark room looks far superior. Less washed out colors, less picture noise and better blacks as well and by leaving the OLED light at the default setting of 60 in ISF Dark Room and 80 for bright room respectively I do not see any issue with crushed blacks or loss of shadow detail. Hell a lot of calibrators aim for gamma of 2.4 in a dark room or BT.1886 so going with BT.1886 might just be the sweet spot between 2.2 and 2.4. Especially if you are coming from and are used to the look of a plasma screen.

IMO the picture just looks better than when I was using their recommended settings and applying gamma of 2.2 and either having your oled light set to 16 and contrast 100(rtings) or oled light 33 contrast 85( cnet).

Obviously how you watch your TV will have an impact so if you watch most of the time with lights on or in a brightly lit room then perhaps 2.2 is better but my eyes tell me BT.1886 FTW in a dark room, but then copy everything else from rtings or Cnets recommended settings except gamma and contrast.

Anyways just my longwinded 2 cents.

Last edited by dabrit; 09-09-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 466 Old 09-10-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2922 Post(s)
Liked: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by urgru View Post
So true, but many of us are bound by space restrictions. I can't get a 75" down our staircase, which has a nasty turn. So I get the best 65" I can
You can not carry it upwards? It would be close but I bet you may be able to?
post #423 of 466 Old 09-10-2017, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone here own the SJ9? I'm having a devil of a time trying to get the lip sync issue straightened out. Atmos on vudu is unwatchable. Regular dolby is tolerable but still off. PCM is spot on. Same goes for movies on Amazon. I don't have a 4k player yet so I can't test my discs.

I have a brand new 18Gbps hdmi on arc and updated the soundbar to the latest firmware. I tried changing the av sync on the tv to -5 which makes it better, but it's still not good. Changing the av sync on the soundbar makes it worse because it is only positive ms and I'd need it to be at like -60 or -100.

post #424 of 466 Old 09-10-2017, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After 500 hours on my E7 it still looks perfect. No banding or burn in. But I was nervous after my wife stated she watched CNN all day while I was at work to watch the progress of the hurricanes. Even with the CNN watching it still looks like the day it delivered...
post #425 of 466 Old 09-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Neighbors View Post
After 500 hours on my E7 it still looks perfect. No banding or burn in. But I was nervous after my wife stated she watched CNN all day while I was at work to watch the progress of the hurricanes. Even with the CNN watching it still looks like the day it delivered...
Post pictures of it with 5 percent isf dark.

Yet to see one perfect 2017 Oled so far

Xbox live.. xSAMCOx
post #426 of 466 Old 09-10-2017, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi folks,

Quick question. I am looking for data if the LG E7 series in general has less banding and vignetting than the LG B7 and C7 series. Does anyone know, or have some evidence one way or the other?

Yup, I got stuff...
Panasonic 60ZT60, LG 55EG9100
Pioneer Elite SC-87, Oppo BDP-103D, PSB Synchrony two mains, center and surrounds.
XBox One
post #427 of 466 Old 09-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJayDub View Post
Hi folks,

Quick question. I am looking for data if the LG E7 series in general has less banding and vignetting than the LG B7 and C7 series. Does anyone know, or have some evidence one way or the other?
Just read up on avf forum they are as bad as the C7/B7

Xbox live.. xSAMCOx
post #428 of 466 Old 09-10-2017, 11:07 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSAMCOx View Post
Post pictures of it with 5 percent isf dark.

Yet to see one perfect 2017 Oled so far
Tell me how and I'll give it a go...
post #429 of 466 Old 09-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Neighbors View Post
Tell me how and I'll give it a go...
Download the AvS disc on this site to a USB stick there there are grey patterns.
Angry Neighbors likes this.

Xbox live.. xSAMCOx
post #430 of 466 Old 09-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthayil View Post
if anyone successfully gets wireless sub connected without adding a receiver or external sound bar please lmk or post. thanks
Take an optical from the TV to a digital to analog converter, then feed it to the sub, however the sub will need a low pass filter, the Bowers and Wilkins subs, have a switch on the back that you set to in and then adjust the low pass frequency, that will allow you to take the vocals, mids and highs out. you could probably find an aftermarket wireless kit to make it wireless.
post #431 of 466 Old 09-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Download the AvS disc on this site to a USB stick there there are grey patterns.
Can you link to where it is? I can't find it.

-Hawkmoon
post #432 of 466 Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

I have no internet at home since we just moved into a new home...so had to wait till I got to work to post.

New 65" E7 owner and so far it is fantastic. I have not tested using slides or anything like that, but so far with content I have not seen an vignetting or banding. I primarily bought the set for my gaming room for use with consoles/pc. I have 3 games I have used in the past to look for banding and screen issues and thus far, no detectable banding or other issues. As of right now, I only have 20+ hours on the set, so it should have run at least 5 auto cycles if I understand that it does it after 4 hours of continued use and after you turn it off. But picture is fantastic. At first when gaming, my friends said it looked a little dull, but I had forgotten to turn off the power settings, once I turned that off it looked fantastic.

I am really happy with the set so far. I am going to try slides to see, but in content with my the games I test it has been great so far and I know I might see something with slides, but if it is not in content, I am more than happy with it.

I do need some help in finding or being linked settings to try out. I mainly am gaming, so anything in game mode with HDR and without HDR. I also watch UHD movies so any recommended settings would be appreciated.

Pixe Shifter: Do most of you use this or do not use it?

Anything else I need to know or "must have" things I should turn off or set up?

Thank You!

-Hawkmoon
post #433 of 466 Old 09-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Liked: 10
This did the trick, sub already had a frequency selector knob and a $13 optical to analog converter from amazon solved the problem. Even wife appreciated the return of the rumble.

Cheers

TTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnl View Post
Take an optical from the TV to a digital to analog converter, then feed it to the sub, however the sub will need a low pass filter, the Bowers and Wilkins subs, have a switch on the back that you set to in and then adjust the low pass frequency, that will allow you to take the vocals, mids and highs out. you could probably find an aftermarket wireless kit to make it wireless.
post #434 of 466 Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
This did the trick, sub already had a frequency selector knob and a $13 optical to analog converter from amazon solved the problem. Even wife appreciated the return of the rumble.

Cheers

TTT
Glad to hear this is working for you, however I'm assuming the volume of the sub is independent of the TV so you have one flat sub volume and have to adjust manually on the sub when needed?
post #435 of 466 Old 09-13-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Here you go

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

Xbox live.. xSAMCOx
post #436 of 466 Old 09-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank You.

-Hawkmoon
post #437 of 466 Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Weyenberg View Post
Glad to hear this is working for you, however I'm assuming the volume of the sub is independent of the TV so you have one flat sub volume and have to adjust manually on the sub when needed?

Yes, and the integrated soundbar isn't that loud in any case so adjustments are not often needed.

Still wish they had an optional wireless sub for this TV!

TTT
post #438 of 466 Old 09-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, and the integrated soundbar isn't that loud in any case so adjustments are not often needed.

Still wish they had an optional wireless sub for this TV!

TTT
Thank you for the reply, glad to hear that. One thing I found in the LG documentation is that if you use the line out instead of the optical line you can adjust the volume with the remote. Still separate but allows you to not have to walk to the sub to adjust it.

I'm floored that there isn't more info out there on this option.
post #439 of 466 Old 09-13-2017, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sound Bar
I am deciding between a B/C7 or an E7. My video room is only 10 X 11 so an external sound system is not an option. Please let me know your thoughts on the E7 included sound bar vs a B/C7 with a LG SJ9 sound bar? I realize the E7 does not have a sub but as pointed out above this can be added via toslink.

Thanks,

Hg
post #440 of 466 Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Just go to the youtube app an search "5% test slide".
post #441 of 466 Old 09-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgabel View Post
Sound Bar
I am deciding between a B/C7 or an E7. My video room is only 10 X 11 so an external sound system is not an option. Please let me know your thoughts on the E7 included sound bar vs a B/C7 with a LG SJ9 sound bar? I realize the E7 does not have a sub but as pointed out above this can be added via toslink.

Thanks,

Hg
The B/C7 + SJ9 combination's sound quality will blow away the E7. I sold an E6 because my wife (this was a huge surprise to me!) missed the sound quality from our previous set + soundbar. Picked up B7 and SJ9 and we're both very happy with the change.
DanBa and hgabel like this.
post #442 of 466 Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys! Super excited here as I just placed an order on the 55E7P model just now! Was contemplating on the C7P model for the longest time after coming from a KS8000 set but it seems from reading this thread that the E7P could/does offer slightly better picture quality over the C7P...lol. Also, I do enjoy the integrated sound bar on the E7P. While I know it's not better than an actual sound bar, it'll be perfect since this is going in my room, not the living room...

From what I've read the minor issues stem from vignetting and banding issues correct? That's about it? And this depends on whatever panel lottery comes your way...lol. I won't be running slides, most likely just watching regular content for a few months and then play with the settings as I go for what'll look best to me. I still have the Disney WOW disk.

I'll definitely be using this for streaming movies off Netflix, Amazon, & Hulu. Playstation 4 Pro & Xbox One S until I get the Xbox One X in November.

One last question, does anyone use the Xbox One S as a 4K player hooked up to the E7P? If so, what are your thoughts and experiences with the quality of the image and how it looks?
post #443 of 466 Old 09-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey Folks, my 55 E7 is still sitting in its box, been stuck in shipping jail for a bunch of components, but today I have enough to get at least the TV up and running. I wanted to check in on the status of the latest firmware update for the E7. Are there any known issues with it that would warrant holding off on the update? I bought it primarily for gaming and movies, and would love to have HDR/DV/HLG all working well.
post #444 of 466 Old 09-16-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgru View Post
The B/C7 + SJ9 combination's sound quality will blow away the E7. I sold an E6 because my wife (this was a huge surprise to me!) missed the sound quality from our previous set + soundbar. Picked up B7 and SJ9 and we're both very happy with the change.
I guess this means that the B7 does pass through Atmos?

Again thank you

Hg
post #445 of 466 Old 09-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anybody know if the front of the 2017 E7 has a plastic protection screen that needs to be peeled of like the one on the back.........?
post #446 of 466 Old 09-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tybo1504 View Post
Does anybody know if the front of the 2017 E7 has a plastic protection screen that needs to be peeled of like the one on the back.........?
Well LG shows this:

http://www.lg.com/in/support/product...6984097-others

So it seems if it was meant to be removed it would be clearly labelled that way. Pretty sure I read something about not trying to remove something from the front that was supposed to be there on some models.

From what I have found, there is no film protecting the front on 2017 models.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR5007, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93
post #447 of 466 Old 09-16-2017, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
ya i didnt even notice the back film and i dont think there is one on the front side but i wanted to make sure before i tried a sharp razor blade in one of the corners............... thanks !!!
post #448 of 466 Old 09-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmorris View Post
Hey Folks, my 55 E7 is still sitting in its box, been stuck in shipping jail for a bunch of components, but today I have enough to get at least the TV up and running. I wanted to check in on the status of the latest firmware update for the E7. Are there any known issues with it that would warrant holding off on the update? I bought it primarily for gaming and movies, and would love to have HDR/DV/HLG all working well.
Can anyone answer this? I am in the same position as the person I quoted. Got my E7 last Saturday and just had internet installed in our new home so just deciding if I should update the FW or not. Primary use is like the person I quoted, gaming and some UHD movies.

-Hawkmoon
post #449 of 466 Old 09-16-2017, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Weyenberg View Post
Thank you for the reply, glad to hear that. One thing I found in the LG documentation is that if you use the line out instead of the optical line you can adjust the volume with the remote. Still separate but allows you to not have to walk to the sub to adjust it.

I'm floored that there isn't more info out there on this option.
So you guys were able to hook up a sub to the TV without adding a sound bar? I thought it was impossible to do!

I see this on Amazon *******/vtqAJX but how does it all connect together? Optical from the TV into the converter, and then a line out to the sub? If the converter splits the optical signal into analog left and right, what goes into the sub if, say, it only accepts a single line-in connection?
post #450 of 466 Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt310 View Post
So you guys were able to hook up a sub to the TV without adding a sound bar? I thought it was impossible to do!

I see this on Amazon *******/vtqAJX but how does it all connect together? Optical from the TV into the converter, and then a line out to the sub? If the converter splits the optical signal into analog left and right, what goes into the sub if, say, it only accepts a single line-in connection?
I haven't done this myself I was responding to the above post that had success. If you only have one input on your sub you can get a y adapter to combine the stereo plugs to one. The thing to still remember is that the subwoofer volume is separate from the TV's volume.

I was planning to do a headphone out to my sub as I don't have one of those DAC adapters available immediately but my E7 doesn't have a headphone out, I guess some do and the lower model TVs do for some reason. I'll probably just hook up my old receiver and speakers instead of trying this work around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page