2016 LG OLED65B6P & Dish Network maybe! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2017, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
2016 LG OLED65B6P & Dish Network maybe!

I can't do OTA - distance, elevations and tree cover. 50' tower would make it a "maybe"! Way to many $$'s

Comcast after the "down-rezing" and MPEG-2 to 4 conversions I'm told is terrible and it's certainly an issue I see with my TiVo cable-cards etc now with a 1080P F8500 Plasma. I'm not looking for "haters" - I'm interested in whether I can likely be made happy with the Hopper3 and 4K Joey. How is Dish HD Network these days.

I've thought about the streaming but 2 channel stereo and lack of DVR functions makes that very unlikely as an option. I've 3TB TiVo with 6 tuners and aside from the Comcast issues they've worked well for me.

The LG OLED will be delivered late July and I'd like to sort the change to Dish or DirecTV - DirecTV won't do a "site evaluation" without a contract. Dish I believe might. I like to "own" equipment and with Dish I belive that's an option, DirecTV I don't think so.

Anyone with a 65" OLED and Dish that's "satisfied" - I'd have asked "happy" but there's seldom anyone it seems that's "happy".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-02-2017, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

More than 10 days ago I asked this question and I'm surprised I've NOT seen a response.

If you've Comcast - Dish or DirectTV or maybe use the streaming services mention a "preference" and why!!

Is Comcast an issue everywhere or just maybe a "market to market" issue. Our network feeds from Comcast are all Washington DC based so if you're serviced by Comcast maybe your thoughts are relative. It's difficult to tell with my 1080P display if it's Comcast or maybe the feed supplied by the network to them.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-02-2017, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have an OLED65B6P and a Dish Hopper, the picture is not horrible but my OTA Tivo definitely delivers a better picture. I can't offer any comparison info between Direct TV or cable, but here's a link to Dish Forums: https://forum.dish.com/index.php where you can select Hopper and Joey read the posts and perhaps ask your question there.

One thing I would not recommend is buying your own Hopper. Dish is constantly rolling out software updates and many people have had issues after them. When there are problems Dish will often replace the Hopper sometimes it fixes the problem sometimes it does not. I can just see them telling you "the problems you are having are because of your Hopper being bad" however whether or not it's really bad can not be determined for sure until it is replaced. I feel owning it leaves too much wiggle room for them to not address any problems you might have.

ps if you find anymore comparison info please let me know if you can

tomw

post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
More than 10 days ago I asked this question and I'm surprised I've NOT seen a response.

If you've Comcast - Dish or DirectTV or maybe use the streaming services mention a "preference" and why!!

Is Comcast an issue everywhere or just maybe a "market to market" issue. Our network feeds from Comcast are all Washington DC based so if you're serviced by Comcast maybe your thoughts are relative. It's difficult to tell with my 1080P display if it's Comcast or maybe the feed supplied by the network to them.
Streaming services I missed it,

I also use the LG app for Netflix and Amazon Prime to view UHD 4K (HDR or DV) and it definitely looks better than either Dish or TIVO OTA, and it does have 5.1 sound.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-02-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
I can't do OTA - distance, elevations and tree cover. 50' tower would make it a "maybe"! Way to many $$'s

Comcast after the "down-rezing" and MPEG-2 to 4 conversions I'm told is terrible and it's certainly an issue I see with my TiVo cable-cards etc now with a 1080P F8500 Plasma. I'm not looking for "haters" - I'm interested in whether I can likely be made happy with the Hopper3 and 4K Joey. How is Dish HD Network these days.

I've thought about the streaming but 2 channel stereo and lack of DVR functions makes that very unlikely as an option. I've 3TB TiVo with 6 tuners and aside from the Comcast issues they've worked well for me.

The LG OLED will be delivered late July and I'd like to sort the change to Dish or DirecTV - DirecTV won't do a "site evaluation" without a contract. Dish I believe might. I like to "own" equipment and with Dish I belive that's an option, DirecTV I don't think so.

Anyone with a 65" OLED and Dish that's "satisfied" - I'd have asked "happy" but there's seldom anyone it seems that's "happy".
AbsolutelyFrigginLastItem:

Site survey:
Many many years ago before purchasing my first Dish receiver (no DVRs avail then), I found information about where their satellites were in relation to my house then hung out of my 2nd story window with a level, a compass, a protractor and a ruler to sight down the ruler in the direction the compass gave me, at the elevation angle on the protractor (which was sitting on the level) to insure I'd clear some trees and make sure I had unobstructed line of sight to their satellite. It looked good so at that point I bought the system at Sams club.

It ain't perfect but it might keep you from wasting any money for a survey if there is no chance of it working. Remember trees continue to grow so you don't want to be barely going over the tops of them.

Also when you find the satellite data make sure it's for your area and that it is current, I've read Dish had put up another satellite for better coverage and new users were placed on them so you had users in the same area some pointing to one satellite some to another.

Good luck

nuff said, I give up, I'm going home, goodbye.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-05-2017, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyy2 View Post
AbsolutelyFrigginLastItem:

Site survey:
Many many years ago before purchasing my first Dish receiver (no DVRs avail then), I found information about where their satellites were in relation to my house then hung out of my 2nd story window with a level, a compass, a protractor and a ruler to sight down the ruler in the direction the compass gave me, at the elevation angle on the protractor (which was sitting on the level) to insure I'd clear some trees and make sure I had unobstructed line of sight to their satellite. It looked good so at that point I bought the system at Sams club.

It ain't perfect but it might keep you from wasting any money for a survey if there is no chance of it working. Remember trees continue to grow so you don't want to be barely going over the tops of them.

Also when you find the satellite data make sure it's for your area and that it is current, I've read Dish had put up another satellite for better coverage and new users were placed on them so you had users in the same area some pointing to one satellite some to another.

Good luck

nuff said, I give up, I'm going home, goodbye.
Thanks for taking the time!!

I understand the "aiming etc" - I'm in the Eastern Panhandle of WV and for years I had Bell/ExpressVU and actually needed to use 2 dish and 2 mounts to acquire the signal here in what I called "the southern provinces". I had a broker in Canada and I had HD long before even the "rural" cable companies here offered it. Adelphia at long last offered HD and then later Internet to my rural location so I tried that. It became very difficult to update cards, purchase receivers with ExpressVu and I just settled for cable. Adelphia was great - the transition to Comcast left much to be desired. It's now a 30 mile trip to the "closest" Comcast office.

Being away from Satellite as long as I had been I thought I'd like a "site survey" from them before attempting this time. I've already trimmed some trees and I believe I've no issues with either Dish or DirecTV but there seems to be maybe "more desirable" Satellite for some services.

I've 2 mounting posts available and only need to pull newer higher frequency RG6 to whichever I decide to use if i do. I've buried 3/4 conduit for the RG6 - when I did Satellite early I was pretty serious about it. I had DirecPC also before HSI - the phone company attempted DSL for me but I was beyond distance by a good bit, they did try but just couldn't open the "spigot" enough.

I had a 60' lift here the 3d and when at full height an antenna wouldn't clear the trees between me and the broadcast towers. Then I've got the issues with the terrain, I'm in a valley on a river bank with serious elevation issues also between me and the towers.

For me it's either Comcast HSI and streaming, Comcast TV or a Satellite service.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2017, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Just do your own site survey. Download satfinder lite, Dish uses 110/119/129 sats for delivery of service, this app will allow you to check for clear line of sight. You said you already have pole mounts available so that is good. Now ensure you have a source of ground for the system, the ground block for the system must be located within 20 feet of the MGN, typically the ground rod, or ground wire between meter box and ground. Metallic power service conduit will also work.

If you have all of this the system can be installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page