WOLED burn-in poll - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have you owned any new WOLEDs exhibiting burn-in?
0 of 3 3 3.45%
0 of 2 12 13.79%
0 of 1 53 60.92%
1 of 3 0 0%
1 of 2 4 4.60%
2 of 3 0 0%
1 of 1 12 13.79%
2 of 2 0 0%
3 of 3 0 0%
4 or more with no permanent Burn-in 3 3.45%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #121 of 159 Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
2 more votes without burn-in, now at 15-out-of-112 or 13.4%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 159 Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

For those 105 WOLEDs without burn-in, I've added a new poll to try to break down viewing havits of those that have not developed burn-in: 2016 WOLED No Burn in poll

If you've voted in this poll, it would be great if you coukd summarize your vewing habits so we can try to assess whether there is overlap in viewing habits between those with and those without burn-in or there is just a fundamental difference in what these two populations view on their WOLEDs...
post #123 of 159 Old 08-11-2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Wow, so that's the first report of Burn In from gaming HUD with under 10% of total use...

Not goid.

Remind me again what setting you used for OLED Light?
unfortunatly my apartment is very bright so usually 100

post #124 of 159 Old 08-11-2017, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heintz View Post
unfortunatly my apartment is very bright so usually 100
Interesting - thanks.

So we have one report of burn-in with only 10% static logo content with OLED Light at 100 (you ).

A bunch of reports of burn-in with 20% or more static logo content and a bunch of teports of burn-in with OLED Light at 80 (presumably the same, but still unsure - would be great if the other 14 OLEDs reporting burn-in on this poll would post some details

A single report of burn-in with OLED Light at 70 from the survey (not sure what % of static logo content).

We've been gaming heavily and have no burn-in with OLED Light at 30.

The OLED Aging curves suggest that aging is pretty heavily influenced by intensity / current. If we assume something like a 10% difference in aging between static logo subpixels and the rest of the subpixels displaying the same color, it should take longer for that amount of differential aging to occur when intensity / current is less...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	11
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2266540  
post #125 of 159 Old 08-11-2017, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Interesting - thanks.

So we have one report of burn-in with only 10% static logo content with OLED Light at 100 (you ).

A bunch of reports of burn-in with 20% or more static logo content and a bunch of teports of burn-in with OLED Light at 80 (presumably the same, but still unsure - would be great if the other 14 OLEDs reporting burn-in on this poll would post some details

A single report of burn-in with OLED Light at 70 from the survey (not sure what % of static logo content).

We've been gaming heavily and have no burn-in with OLED Light at 30.

The OLED Aging curves suggest that aging is pretty heavily influenced by intensity / current. If we assume something like a 10% difference in aging between static logo subpixels and the rest of the subpixels displaying the same color, it should take longer for that amount of differential aging to occur when intensity / current is less...
And my report of burn in with OLED Light at 60 and 30-40% of the time displaying MSNBC.
post #126 of 159 Old 08-11-2017, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
And my report of burn in with OLED Light at 60 and 30-40% of the time displaying MSNBC.
Yeah, thanks. It's hard to remember all of these different cases.

If someone had the time and energy to make a scatter plot of % versus OLED Light color-coded red for burn-in and green for no burn-in, my suspicion is that a pattern would start to become visible:

OL % static content viewing resulting in burn-in
100 10%
90 ? (think there is one at 90 in the survey, but no idea what %)
80 20% (suspect but needs to be confirmed)
70 ? (there is one at 70 in the survey, but don't know %)
60 30-40% (you )
40 20% with no burn in
30 20% with no burn in (me)

We need more data, but there is already enough to get a sense of what we're expecting to see...
post #127 of 159 Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Another vote without burn-in so down to 15-of-113 or 13.3%.
post #128 of 159 Old 08-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Another vote without burn-in so down to 15-of-113 or 13.3%.
IMHO less than 2,000 hours isn't indicative of as much as you may think. Also, how many on AVS are actually using their OLED's as TV's? You've already confirmed that you don't.

Watching the PGA at the moment and CBS Sports has a bright, while logo on the lower right corner. The first three hours were on TNT where they have a feint white, semi transparent logo on the left upper corner, so they are more considerate.

NBC Sports on the Golf Channel has had a ticker on the bottom since Monday for the PGA and that one has a peacock logo on the right with both yellow and red elements!

55B6P
post #129 of 159 Old 08-12-2017, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Challenged View Post
IMHO less than 2,000 hours isn't indicative of as much as you may think.
If what you mean is that results froma poll like this when WOLED TVs have only ~1000-2000 hours of use may not be indicative of what the results will be when those TVs have ~5000-10,000 hours of use, I agree completely.

If current results indicate a 10-15% burn-in issue among AVSers, repolling these same owners a year or two from now is likely to show an increased percentage of WOLEDs with burn-in...

Quote:
Also, how many on AVS are actually using their OLED's as TV's? You've already confirmed that you don't.
Not sure, but I suspect a smaller % than the broader TV-owning population...

Quote:
Watching the PGA at the moment and CBS Sports has a bright, while logo on the lower right corner. The first three hours were on TNT where they have a feint white, semi transparent logo on the left upper corner, so they are more considerate.
Because of the white subpixel, which is 3x the light efficiency of the colored subpixels, the logo color least likely to cause issues with burn-in is white...

Quote:
NBC Sports on the Golf Channel has had a ticker on the bottom since Monday for the PGA and that one has a peacock logo on the right with both yellow and red elements!
Don't know hom many hours total you have on the TV, but unless that logo is going to be displayed for close to 20% of the total hours of use, unlikely you have anything to worry about.

If you've got OLED Light cranked up to 100, that static 'threshold' may drop to only 10%...
post #130 of 159 Old 08-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Don't know hom many hours total you have on the TV, but unless that logo is going to be displayed for close to 20% of the total hours of use, unlikely you have anything to worry about.

If you've got OLED Light cranked up to 100, that static 'threshold' may drop to only 10%...
As mentioned yesterday, "2,900 hours, ISF Dark, OLED 77, Contrast 84, Brightness 50, Color 49; lighted living room but not overly bright day or night"

55B6P
post #131 of 159 Old 08-12-2017, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Challenged View Post
As mentioned yesterday, "2,900 hours, ISF Dark, OLED 77, Contrast 84, Brightness 50, Color 49; lighted living room but not overly bright day or night"
Great - so based on what we're starting to think we understand, you'd probably need to watch NBC Sports for over 500 hours before you'd have anything to worry about .
post #132 of 159 Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of positive "burn-in" votes are misunderstandings of the wording of the poll and the remainder simply mis-identified image retention. There could be a handful of abuse cases.
post #133 of 159 Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of positive "burn-in" votes are misunderstandings of the wording of the poll and the remainder simply mis-identified image retention. There could be a handful of abuse cases.
I know for a fact this is burn in. It has been there for 6 days and I have not played the game since then. I have also ran clear panel noise and it doesn't go away. I filled out a service request on LG website after talking to Daniel at Rtings. He said LG has replaced sets In the past.

Last edited by Michael Heintz; 08-12-2017 at 09:55 PM.
post #134 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
I know for a fact this is burn in. It has been there for 6 days and I have not played the game since then. I have also ran clear panel noise and it doesn't go away. I filled out a service request on LG website after talking to Daniel at Rtings. He said LG has replaced sets In the past.
I just read your past posts. So 100 OLED light sometimes the same HUD/game for 4-6 hours at a time, routinely?

I could see that being pretty brutal on the panel, especially at max light levels.
post #135 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I just read your past posts. So 100 OLED light sometimes the same HUD/game for 4-6 hours at a time, routinely?

I could see that being pretty brutal on the panel, especially at max light levels.
If it's brutal, LG just need to prevent people from using it.

Or at least give the ability but with a pop-up warning about burn in risk.
post #136 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

3 more OLEDs without burn-in have voted, so as of 8/13/17 down to 15-of-116 or 12.9%
post #137 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:

If that is the case why is Game Mode and HDR or Dolby Vision preset to an oled light setting ofo 100 and 95?
post #138 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If that is the case why is Game Mode and HDR or Dolby Vision preset to an oled light setting ofo 100 and 95?
As far as HDR game mode, that is exactly the mode LG 'toned down' with the new firmware release (meaning that is the case they were presumably worried about).

And as far as HDR content, since the content is random, there is no concern that the occassional bright highlight will cause permanent burn-in. It would have to be present for over 10% of the entire film to even be worth thinking about...

The 'theory' can be explained by assuming LG focused on keeping up in the 'HDR brightness wars' against Samsung, made improvements in the areas of ABL and peak brigtness to stay competetive on (random) HDR content, and did not think through what that could mean for non-random static HDR gaming... (hence the firmware update to back things off - gamers consider this a 'bug' but it more likely is a preventative 'fix' to refuce the chances that HDR gaming cause burn-in).
post #139 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
3 more OLEDs without burn-in have voted, so as of 8/13/17 down to 15-of-116 or 12.9%
Another vote without burn-in today so we continue to drift downwards - currently at 15-of-117 or 12.8%...
post #140 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Then you apparently haven't read my burn-in report post that said we got it from watching MSNBC for 3-4 hours a day with an OLED Light setting of 60. It's been a few months since we noticed it (didn't realize it was burn in at first), and it's still there.

Quote:
Another vote without burn-in today so we continue to drift downwards - currently at 15-of-117 or 12.8%...
This poll should have been a public poll with member IDs visible. Doesn't seem fair to make this a private poll and make the "no burn-in" poll a public poll.

Since others are expressing doubts about the validity or legitimacy of the votes identifying burn in, I will express my doubts about the votes not expressing burn in. We don't know if all the those voters checked with a red field. We don't know if all or legit members and owners, or if some are "members" that created an account just to place a vote. Doubts can be made both for and against. We should stop with the doubts, for both sides of the argument. It's a poll, not a scientific study.
post #141 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Then you apparently haven't read my burn-in report post that said we got it from watching MSNBC for 3-4 hours a day with an OLED Light setting of 60. It's been a few months since we noticed it (didn't realize it was burn in at first), and it's still there.

This poll should have been a public poll with member IDs visible. Doesn't seem fair to make this a private poll and make the "no burn-in" poll a public poll.
Totally agree - I'd never used a 'public' poll before starting the No Burn In Poll and now understand it is far more useful for a siruation such as this.

I will be starting a new burn-in poll soon whose purpose will be to learn more about the ~15 examples of burn-in that have been reported (and in which voting will be public). I've got my own ideas of what categories to use (partly driven by this absolutely rediculous 5-minute timeout limitation) but if you have questions to ask or categories to suggest, please feel free to send me a PM...

Quote:
Since others are expressing doubts about the validity or legitimacy of the votes identifying burn in, I will express my doubts about the votes not expressing burn in. We don't know if all the those voters checked with a red field. We don't know if all or legit members and owners, or if some are "members" that created an account just to place a vote. Doubts can be made both for and against. We should stop with the doubts, for both sides of the argument. It's a poll, not a scientific study.
Yes. I'm just doing what I can to benefit from the enthusiast AVS WOLED-owning community to gain some insight into the factors that might make burn-in more or less likely. Each genuine owner/member we track down interested to help in the effort, and especially those who view a significant amount of static non-random display elements such ad logos or HUDs, is an asset. These polls are nothing more than a vehicle to identify and hopefully enlist them (at least the public polls - this poll is alot more limited...).
post #142 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Yeah, thanks. It's hard to remember all of these different cases.

If someone had the time and energy to make a scatter plot of % versus OLED Light color-coded red for burn-in and green for no burn-in, my suspicion is that a pattern would start to become visible:

OL % static content viewing resulting in burn-in
100 10%
90 ? (think there is one at 90 in the survey, but no idea what %)
80 20% (suspect but needs to be confirmed)
70 ? (there is one at 70 in the survey, but don't know %)
60 30-40% (you )
40 20% with no burn in
30 20% with no burn in (me)

We need more data, but there is already enough to get a sense of what we're expecting to see...
Does anyone know what the OLED Light setting is in the APS (power saving) Picture Mode?
post #143 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1948 View Post
Does anyone know what the OLED Light setting is in the APS (power saving) Picture Mode?
No, not that I know of.

APS adjusts based on ambient brightness/lighting, so the equivalent OLED Light setting will be a function of the ambiant light.

To estimate in a dark room setting, someone could switch between kne mode with APS enabled and another with it disabled and adjust OLED Light down on the second mode until it appears about equivalent.

With a meter, it would be far easier and more precise...
post #144 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1948 View Post
With Energy Saving turned Off, the default OLED Light setting for the APS picture mode is 80, and Contrast is 100.

With Energy Saving set to Auto, for the APS picture mode, it says "Energy Saving" under the OLED Light setting. So we don't know. Contrast still 100. It's definitely dimmer with ES set to Auto. If had to guess using my eyes, I'd say about 60. But I think it varies based on ambient light in the room.
post #145 of 159 Old 08-13-2017, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Another vote with BI, so now back up to 16-of-118 or 13.6%...

Last edited by fafrd; 08-14-2017 at 10:04 PM.
post #146 of 159 Old 08-14-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Another vote w/o BI, so now at 15-of-118 or 12.7%...
Not quite. We had another vote with BI yesterday. We're up to 16 now.
post #147 of 159 Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 PM

So after i filled out the warranty claim online LG called me to tell me Burn In isn't covered under waranty. So they sent me a list of 3 certafied service centers. I have one coming out to look at the set on a few days. I will keep you posted on the company and what the resolution was. They said it may be a panel replacement or a whole set replacement. But I'm not getting my hopes up.
post #148 of 159 Old 08-14-2017, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So after i filled out the warranty claim online LG called me to tell me Burn In isn't covered under waranty. So they sent me a list of 3 certafied service centers. I have one coming out to look at the set on a few days. I will keep you posted on the company and what the resolution was. They said it may be a panel replacement or a whole set replacement. But I'm not getting my hopes up.
Goid luck and let us know how it goes...
post #149 of 159 Old 08-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
So LG told you it's not covered under warranty, but is sending a tech out to look at it anyway, free of charge? Or is the tech visit coming out of your pocket?

Keep records of your claim and LG's denial. They may come in handy if you ever decide to take them to court or if this develops into a class action type lawsuit.

Yes, keep us posted. Thanks!
post #150 of 159 Old 08-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Please let me know if you can see this screenshot? It's the email from LG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170814-211943_1502770807937.png
Views:	19
Size:	278.2 KB