Connections for 6UY out of the box? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 08-13-2003, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently was all set to pull the trigger on purchasing the 6UY... But the recent flurry of posts regarding the unit has me a tiny bit confused...

Basically I am confused on what I can do with the unit out of the box. PQ , size, ect is all fine... I am just making sure that I can hook up to the way I am planning to.

Here we go:

I have (or soon will have):

Component Based Connections:
Zenith 520 DirecTV HDTV Box
Toshiba DVD/VHS Progressive
XBOX

S-Video/Composite Based Connections:
DirecTV TIVO
GameCube, PS2, 2nd VCR, and the AUX Video In From my
Soon to be purchase Onyko TXSR800 (Which up converts the composit to S-Video).

The goal was to send two cables up to the display unit. A three wire component cable (For the Zenith, Toshiba, XBOX switched by the Amp), S-Video for the remainder (Switched by the Amp)

Can I do this? Does the 6UY accept the 3 wire version of the component signal? Or am I SOL until some of the upgrade cards come out for the 6UY

------------
Earl

Hmm, this could get expensive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-13-2003, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can I do this? Does the 6UY accept the 3 wire version of the component signal? Or am I SOL until some of the upgrade cards come out for the 6UY
Yes for the Component/RGB input

For the Component/VGA input a D-Sub 15-pin/RCA cable is needed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the TH-42PWD6UY inputs:

1 S-Video/Composite
1 Component/ RGB (4th from the right on pict below)
1 Component/ VGA - D Sub 15-pin accepts Component (3rd from the right on pict below)
1 Free Slot

Top pic showing the inputs.
Middle pic with the standard terminal removed (Three free slots).
Bottom pic from the 37" (Comes with 2 slots only) without the standard terminal.

http://pic4.videogon.com/i/c/f/1060649489.gif
post #3 of 25 Old 08-14-2003, 01:15 AM

sorry for this dumb question (newbie here)

if your plasma display has one component output (no DVI) and you want to run your HD cable box via component as well as your prgressive scan dvd player, what do you do? does it mean i'm stuck having to switch back and forth depending on what source i want to view?
post #4 of 25 Old 08-14-2003, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you're display has only one component input, you could just run the dvd and HD cable box video through a receiver with component switching built in, and the receiver then has multiple component in and a single component out. So, since you will likely be using the receiver to switch audio sources anyway, if you match the component video inputs and audio inputs to, say, DVD and Video1, then all you do is switch the receiver from DVD to Video1 and it will use the appropriate source for both audio and video.

TomM
post #5 of 25 Old 08-14-2003, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
gingurus,

The pwd6 you can use VGA as the component with component to VGA cable about $20 connenct to your prog. DVD player, be sure you change the setup from PC to component on the setup menu. I hope this will answer your question.

Rgds, Hotrsx.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-14-2003, 09:57 AM

ebonovic

I have the 5UY and have found my DirecTivo works best with composite, surprisingly enough. The comb filter isn't engaged with S-Video, only with composite and I found the picture quality much better. I found this to be the case with other Panny UY owners who have posted the same feedback on this board.

Just something for you to try.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-14-2003, 11:37 AM

Does the DirecTivo have a composite output? I though it only had s-video? What exactly is the difference between component and composite? My audio/video Yamaha RX-V596 (2 years old) only has s-video and i think maybe composite. Since right now all I have the uses component is my dish 6000U HDTV IRd, I'm gona run the Dish 6000u component (RCA to BNC) directo to the 6UY and then hook up my DTV Tivo to the svideo through the Yamaha.

Can anyone recommend a good av receiver to replace the RX-V596?
post #8 of 25 Old 08-16-2003, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hotrsx
gingurus,

The pwd6 you can use VGA as the component with component to VGA cable about $20 connenct to your prog. DVD player, be sure you change the setup from PC to component on the setup menu. I hope this will answer your question.

Rgds, Hotrsx.

Here's a pic.

http://gon8.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1061043351.jpg
post #9 of 25 Old 08-16-2003, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Is the optional DVI card for the 6UY HDCP compliant or do they have an HDCP-compliant one in the works? Any word on the price for the card?

Dennis H
post #10 of 25 Old 08-16-2003, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by catapult
Is the optional DVI card for the 6UY HDCP compliant or do they have an HDCP-compliant one in the works? Any word on the price for the card?
The Optional TY-42TM6D DVI Card is HDCP Compliant.

MSRP is $200
post #11 of 25 Old 08-16-2003, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Glauco. Next question, can you remove the standard input card and use more than one DVI card for multiple DVI sources?

Dennis H
post #12 of 25 Old 08-16-2003, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup. You can use the DVI Card on the slot 1 and 2.

Unfortunately S-Video/Composite won't be possible when using 2 DVI Cards. Both boards can be insertable only on Slot 1 or Slot 2.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-16-2003, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent! Thanks.

Dennis H
post #14 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone planning on having two DVI input cards, like I am?

Any reason why I should not have two DVI inputs cards?

I'm planning on having two satellite boxes with DVI output. But the sat box is not yet available (E* 921). I want two sat boxes, one from E* and one from BEV.

Am I crazy?

Pocatello
post #15 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Glauco BruZZi
Yup. You can use the DVI Card on the slot 1 and 2.

Unfortunately S-Video/Composite won't be possible when using 2 DVI Cards. Both boards can be insertable only on Slot 1 or Slot 2.
There is a third analog slot that the double card occupies, no? Will they be coming out with a single slot version of the card for svid/composite?

[edit]
nevermind, just read the possible configurations and it appears the third slot is vga/component only.
post #16 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the list of possible cards and where they can fit:

BNC Composite/ S-Video Terminal Board TY-42TM6B (Insertable in slot 1 or 2)

RCA Composite/ S-Video Terminal Board TY-42TM6V (Insertable in slot 1 or 2)

RGB (Digital) DVI - HDCP Terminal Board TY-42TM6D (Insertable in slot 1 or 2)

BNC Component Video Terminal Board TY-42TM6A (Insertable in slot 1, 2, or 3)

RCA Component Video Terminal Board TY-42TM6Z (Insertable in slot 1, 2, or 3)

RGB Active Through Terminal Board TY-42TM6G (Insertable in slot 1 & 2)

PC Input Terminal Board TY-42TM6P (Insertable in slot 1, 2, or 3)
post #17 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glauco: I am waiting for the release of the 37inch version, which I ASSUMED would be identical to the 42 incher (except for screen size, of course, and a few hundred dollars cheaper)--but then I saw your post above about different number of inputs/connections. Still not sure what this means, though--can you explain this a bit more? Thanks!
post #18 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedro2
Glauco: I am waiting for the release of the 37inch version, which I ASSUMED would be identical to the 42 incher (except for screen size, of course, and a few hundred dollars cheaper)--but then I saw your post above about different number of inputs/connections. Still not sure what this means, though--can you explain this a bit more? Thanks!
I believe the 37" UY model only comes with two slots. Check out this LINK.

At the bottom of the page...

"Note 1: # 37 inch model has no Slot 3. ( UY version only)"
post #19 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, excuse my ignorance here, but why would I ever miss having this third slot for analog? How important/unimportant is this?
post #20 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 12:15 PM

Quote:
OK, excuse my ignorance here, but why would I ever miss having this third slot for analog? How important/unimportant is this?
AFAIK you won't be able to use any S-video/composite devices unless you upconvert them to component. This is only if you decide to use the first 2 slots for DVI. Whether that's important or not depends on your needs.
post #21 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 12:31 PM

I tried to order the vga to component cable for my 6uy and the guy said I needed some converter box....this is true? I called one of the cable companies listed here. help. I'm tired of unplugging my dvd when I want to watch tv
post #22 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I can't easily confirm my suspicion, but it seems that if you want to use one of the slots with the 37", then you have to remove the whole "stock" assembly and you lose some of your connections that you may need. May not be a big deal if you use a VGA to Component cable, and then connect the component side to your device, then the VGA side to the plasma and change the input signal from PC to Component. Also, this assumes you have a receiver with component out, and the ability to upconvert composite and s-video to component internally so you can still get a signal from all devices to the display.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread is truly confirming that I am a technological ignoramus...So, bear with me, let me try to simply explain my needs and them some of you can perhaps be so kind as to explain whether or not the missing slot on the 37 incher will be a problem:

I will be hooking the display up to a digital cable box (eventually HD capable cable box, or make the move to a satellite box, thus would like DVI for this), a progressive scan DVD player (eventually a DVI HD DVD player, thus the potential need for a second DVI port), a yet-to-be-purchased new AV receiver (such as a Denon 1804 or 2803--suggestions here?!), and a VCR (which can also function as the tuner since the Panny plasma doesn't have one built in). May also get Tivo, but don't know how that affects any of the above. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
post #24 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 02:18 PM

Quote:
This thread is truly confirming that I am a technological ignoramus...So, bear with me, let me try to simply explain my needs and them some of you can perhaps be so kind as to explain whether or not the missing slot on the 37 incher will be a problem:

I will be hooking the display up to a digital cable box (eventually HD capable cable box, or make the move to a satellite box, thus would like DVI for this), a progressive scan DVD player (eventually a DVI HD DVD player, thus the potential need for a second DVI port), a yet-to-be-purchased new AV receiver (such as a Denon 1804 or 2803--suggestions here?!), and a VCR (which can also function as the tuner since the Panny plasma doesn't have one built in). May also get Tivo, but don't know how that affects any of the above. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
Based on that scenario, the max configuration of the 37" is DVI - Slot 1, DVI - Slot 2, Built in VGA 15 pin D Sub which can accept Analog VGA, or a Component signal, using a special cable.

Basically, it means one (component) input is left for the VCR, and Tivo, which would need to go through a receiver with component out. There may be switch boxes available that could do this, but the missing Slot 3 on the 37" means you go without "normal" analogue connections, such as composite, and s-video and the usual component connections, when you add a second DVI card. Did that help?
post #25 of 25 Old 08-21-2003, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, helpful, thanks. Can't figure out if this is a "deal breaker" though (enough to go to the 42, which I actually prefer less due to 7-8 feet viewing distance).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page