Ask the Editors: What's with Vertical Banding on the Sony A1E OLED TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Wilkinson

post #1 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked: 4245
Ask the Editors: Questions About the Sony A1E OLED TV?

Cameron asks about vertical banding in very low-level gray slides on the Sony A1E OLED TV, whether OLED requires a break-in period, and tips for his setup.

http://www.avsforum.com/questions-ab...v-ask-editors/
sickkent likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 08-11-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Cameron asks about vertical banding in very low-level gray slides on the Sony A1E OLED TV, whether OLED requires a break-in period, and tips for his setup.

http://www.avsforum.com/whats-vertic...v-ask-editors/
Vertical banding can be a very serious issue, one that compromises an otherwise near perfect picture. All OLED panels are made by LG and often, even when it is a distraction...particularly in low light scenes, LG will consider the panel "within normal specs". I would suspect Sony to do the same. Therefore, if you do happen to get a "bad" panel, you have no choice but to return the set for another. Many of us call it "the panel lottery". You could get a great or very poor set. My 2015 OLED set had significant banding while my 2016 OLED has almost none. Most of us agree, if you don't notice it while watching programming, keep it and consider yourself an owner of arguably the best TV ever made.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff43 View Post
Most of us agree, if you don't notice it while watching programming, keep it and consider yourself an owner of arguably the best TV ever made.
I couldn't agree more.

Should you run "the slides" even though you've not noticed any banding but decide to swap based on the slides you're just wading deeper into the "Panel Lottery" and you may end up worse off.

Sony XBR55A1E

post #4 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Obligatory plug for the thread on the topic:

OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting .

It is a very very real issue. I had 4 consecutive LG B7's (same panel as the A1E) with vertical banding that did show up in content like live soccer, low-light panning shots, etc. It wasn't until my 5th panel that I finally had one that didn't show the bands in normal content, but even then they are still noticeably there in slides.

I don't think it helps to normalize the issue, it's a manufacturing defect. My first 4 should have never left the factory.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Eagle View Post
Obligatory plug for the thread on the topic:

OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting .

It is a very very real issue. I had 4 consecutive LG B7's (same panel as the A1E) with vertical banding that did show up in content like live soccer, low-light panning shots, etc. It wasn't until my 5th panel that I finally had one that didn't show the bands in normal content, but even then they are still noticeably there in slides.

I don't think it helps to normalize the issue, it's a manufacturing defect. My first 4 should have never left the factory.
Yep.

And also to Scott, banding can def get more pronounced with time. I don't think it ever gets to the point where the image just falls apart but some of the more subtle pre existing ones can be brought up to the surface so to speak.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Yep.

And also to Scott, banding can def get more pronounced with time. I don't think it ever gets to the point where the image just falls apart but some of the more subtle pre existing ones can be brought up to the surface so to speak.
I have seen no evidence of this. I have not seen or read on this forum or any other about banding getting worse. I have personally seen on my own set where the banding has improved with usage. Rarely do I see this on regular content. In fact I would have to intentionally look for it to detect it on my 2016 65B6.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3107 Post(s)
Liked: 2682
I've read a few comments here about the variability of vertical banding over time and the subjective impression of them becoming more visible. It's rare but has been reported.

I'm very good at spotting these anomalies on WOLED TVs. After owning 7 of them, it merely takes a horizontal pan across a pattern of a dim earth tone to see them manifest. It pretty much defines the "hate" in my love-hate relationship with WOLED TVs.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Link doesn't work?
post #9 of 15 Old 08-11-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Whats the peak brightness of this OLED, and does it clip whites if its something like 600nits like LG's OLEDs?

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Currently For SALE : UHD Media & Codes
post #10 of 15 Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 6270 Post(s)
Liked: 10991
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Whats the peak brightness of this OLED, and does it clip whites if its something like 600nits like LG's OLEDs?
Peak brightness of the A1E is around 600 nits, per numerous reviews. Maybe a bit brighter in a tiny (2%) window. Does it clip or tonemap content? Depends on the mode. This thread is specifically about a question on break-in, and the vertical banding issue spotted in LG's OLED panels with a full-screen 5% gray pattern (including on the A1E), plus some setup tips.

You may find more info and a better forum for the peak luminance discussion in the comments for Scott's updated A1E review found here: Sony A1E UHD HDR OLED TV Review: XBR-65A1E Updated

Mark Henninger (aka Imagic)

Last edited by imagic; 08-12-2017 at 07:47 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-11-2017, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked: 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnder View Post
Link doesn't work?
It does now.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 15 Old 08-12-2017, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Can you explain the reason for setting the TV's HDMI Signal Format control to Enhanced ?
I ask because my Epson 9300 (6040) projector has an HDMI enhanced option but I am not sure what benefit it brings
Thanks in advance
Andy

Last edited by Lesmor; 08-12-2017 at 04:12 AM.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-12-2017, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I'm still no clearer on the root cause of this problem and why the bands are always vertical rather than horizontal. And also unclear on the physics of how the built-in "panel clean" routines can effectively reduce or remove this problem.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-12-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I think people have said that the vertical banding is not as bad/common on the 55", but I could be wrong.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
Can you explain the reason for setting the TV's HDMI Signal Format control to Enhanced ?
I ask because my Epson 9300 (6040) projector has an HDMI enhanced option but I am not sure what benefit it brings
Thanks in advance
Andy
On the Sony A1E HDMI ports 2 & 3 are capable of receiving 18GHz signals when set to Advance whereas ports 1 & 4 are only 9GHz capable. With 4K devices such as the new Oppo 203 which plays 4K UHD discs you want to connect it's HDMI out to an 18GHz HDMI in port or you will have playback issues.

Sony XBR55A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
a1e , ask the editors , Sony , vertical banding

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page