2Likes
  • 1 Post By kensingtonwick

post #1 of 22 Old 08-14-2017, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Oled tv's as pc monitor

How well do the oled tv's do as a pc monitor, what refresh rates and resolutions can they support? Would 4:2:2 chroma 12 bit or 4:4:4 chroma 8 bit chroma at 4k60 modes from a nvidia gtx work properly on oleds? And if i run windows, would the constantly displaying taskbar lead to IR on oleds? I typically have to use a monitor 8-10 hours a day, would it be okay with an oled tv?
Anybody who uses their oled as a pc monitor (windows os) could give their opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you use as a monitor be sure to mix up content usage (Watch movies). If you are strictly planning on using it as a desktop PC the start menu and many other things will surely burn in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Oled tv's as pc monitor -

Not a good idea
1. RGB and OLED LG WRGB Video Card This affects the colors.
2. The Internet looks bad - UPSCALE is bad.
3. YOU TUBE WORDED, DYED COLORS, UPSCALE Worse
4. I'm with the OLED 9300 4: 4: 4 8/10/12 BIT will not feel the difference!
DEEP COLOR - Not worth anything in OLED

5. Image is dark and always partly cloudy
6. Contras in OLED through internet - bad
You'll see a difference video of Contras and details between LED and OLED
LED looks great

7. OLED looks good only with Blue Ray full of disc

post #4 of 22 Old 08-16-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popyang45 View Post
Oled tv's as pc monitor -

Not a good idea

1. RGB and OLED LG WRGB Video Card This affects the colors.

2. The Internet looks bad - UPSCALE is bad.

3. YOU TUBE WORDED, DYED COLORS, UPSCALE Worse

4. I'm with the OLED 9300 4: 4: 4 8/10/12 BIT will not feel the difference!

DEEP COLOR - Not worth anything in OLED

5. Image is dark and always partly cloudy

6. Contras in OLED through internet - bad

You'll see a difference video of Contras and details between LED and OLED

LED looks great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-JIttlB8c

7. OLED looks good only with Blue Ray full of disc

I use my B7 as a monitor and it looks good depending on what content you feed it. Last night I downloaded a show which was 720p and it looked horrible though. The upscaling was so bad that I had to put the show on an external HDD and watch it on our 40" Samsung LED (which looked a heck of a lot better). I don't get it?? Some 720p content looks ridiculously amazing and crisp, yet other content that I download looks like complete crap. I have an AMD rx580 and use potplayer as my media player (using MadVR for GPU acceleration). What video card do you recommend?

post #5 of 22 Old 08-16-2017, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
I use my B7 as a monitor and it looks good depending on what content you feed it. Last night I downloaded a show which was 720p and it looked horrible though. The upscaling was so bad that I had to put the show on an external HDD and watch it on our 40" Samsung LED (which looked a heck of a lot better). I don't get it?? Some 720p content looks ridiculously amazing and crisp, yet other content that I download looks like complete crap. I have an AMD rx580 and use potplayer as my media player (using MadVR for GPU acceleration). What video card do you recommend?

Bit-rate, not resolution, is almost always the defining factor in the picture quality of downloaded content.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
downloaded a show which was 720p and it looked horrible though
Most of the cable or satellite channels in HD are 720p
There is no standard 1080p 1080i only and everything looks bad in OLED!

Quote:
I have an AMD rx580 and use potplayer as my media player (using MadVR for GPU acceleration). What video card do you recommend?
I have R9 /480/ AND I TRY THE 1070/970 NVIDIA .

Everything related to PC / Internet / YouTube to OLED is bad
Except for 4K movies or 1440 on YouTube that looks good
4K Amazon looks good

All the tests in Sites gave a grade of 9 + for the OLED Smart TV system
In practice I have a 200mb Internet line and the smart system of TV is weak and works at 20 kb
That's why you can not watch the Internet through television, a big disappointment
Wait for a web page to upload 3 minutes, a waste of time.

You can only open one web page for viewing that is very slow!
So it's worthless and owe a computer!
It should also be noted, Web pages that you see through smart TV look much better than your computer!
OLED it's WRGB all the video card RGB It may well be the problem in oled .

In OLED you need to order calibration for the screen every time a driver comes to the graphics card!
There is no calibration disk for OLED.
It comes out not worth calibrating the OLED for a computer.
i pay 600$ for 2 calibration for the OLED and calibration for OLED Not worth anything, it's a waste of money

Last edited by popyang45; 08-16-2017 at 08:28 AM.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-16-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
Bit-rate, not resolution, is almost always the defining factor in the picture quality of downloaded content.

What would be considered a good bit rate and what would be considered a bad bit rate?

TiSA88 likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
What would be considered a good bit rate and what would be considered a bad bit rate?

My personal rule of thumb is a 720p movie should be no less than 4gb, 1080p no less than 8gb.

These 1gb 1080p movies you can find are gonna look like trash on a big tv.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
How well do the oled tv's do as a pc monitor, what refresh rates and resolutions can they support? Would 4:2:2 chroma 12 bit or 4:4:4 chroma 8 bit chroma at 4k60 modes from a nvidia gtx work properly on oleds? And if i run windows, would the constantly displaying taskbar lead to IR on oleds? I typically have to use a monitor 8-10 hours a day, would it be okay with an oled tv?
Anybody who uses their oled as a pc monitor (windows os) could give their opinion?
Use my 65" LG and picture looks awesome. All games run at 4k
post #10 of 22 Old 08-18-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
My personal rule of thumb is a 720p movie should be no less than 4gb, 1080p no less than 8gb.

These 1gb 1080p movies you can find are gonna look like trash on a big tv.

I completely agree and I stay away from smaller files as well. On my Samsung plasma 60 inch they didn't look quite as bad though. Probably because the TV was native 1080p. It seems that low bit rates rear their ugly heads on these panels because the TV can show every inconsistency. Now I find myself looking at bit rates before I download movies. I'm just glad to know why the quality can be so bad

post #11 of 22 Old 08-18-2017, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
If you use as a monitor be sure to mix up content usage (Watch movies). If you are strictly planning on using it as a desktop PC the start menu and many other things will surely burn in.

i would be watching movies and playing music with some casual gaming apart from using other softwares, but the desktop (taskbar, start menu) could sometimes be visible for an extended time, on my current lcd tv hooked to the pc, i could leave the static desktop screen for 10 hours and there is never any burn in. Would oled have a problem with a static desktop for even an hour?
post #12 of 22 Old 08-18-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
i would be watching movies and playing music with some casual gaming apart from using other softwares, but the desktop (taskbar, start menu) could sometimes be visible for an extended time, on my current lcd tv hooked to the pc, i could leave the static desktop screen for 10 hours and there is never any burn in. Would oled have a problem with a static desktop for even an hour?

Not for an hour but I'd suggest switching to "green mode" or lowering brightness/contrast and Oled light when doing so. You can always switch back when going to movies and gaming. Also make sure to have screensaver engaged for unnecessary prolonged static images for times when you leave the room and your desktop is on screen.

post #13 of 22 Old 08-18-2017, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

An OLED TV as pc monitor right now is bad because it has too big pixels (46 inch 4k would be the maximum acceptable for a pc monitor), and of course, depending on video content a 40 inch lcd tv could look better than OLED because it has much smaller pixels (you can hardly can see them at any distance, so the detail is finner -at 55 inch 4k you can see the big pixel on the screen).
And please don't talk about the distance what you watch from. People tend to stay closer to a pc monitor despite the screen size of the monitor.
The reading on any bigger screen than 46 inch could look awful - smaller pixel, clearer letters on the screen. And even for movies 55 inch (65+ worse) 4 k could be too much for some films (eg. upscaling 720p content).
post #14 of 22 Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin Tudorache View Post
An OLED TV as pc monitor right now is bad because it has too big pixels (46 inch 4k would be the maximum acceptable for a pc monitor), and of course, depending on video content a 40 inch lcd tv could look better than OLED because it has much smaller pixels (you can hardly can see them at any distance, so the detail is finner -at 55 inch 4k you can see the big pixel on the screen).
And please don't talk about the distance what you watch from. People tend to stay closer to a pc monitor despite the screen size of the monitor.
The reading on any bigger screen than 46 inch could look awful - smaller pixel, clearer letters on the screen. And even for movies 55 inch (65+ worse) 4 k could be too much for some films (eg. upscaling 720p content).
I would say that a 40-43 inch 4k OLED as monitor would be best in the world.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-19-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by popyang45 View Post
Most of the cable or satellite channels in HD are 720p
There is no standard 1080p 1080i only and everything looks bad in OLED!

I have R9 /480/ AND I TRY THE 1070/970 NVIDIA .

Everything related to PC / Internet / YouTube to OLED is bad
Except for 4K movies or 1440 on YouTube that looks good
4K Amazon looks good

All the tests in Sites gave a grade of 9 + for the OLED Smart TV system
In practice I have a 200mb Internet line and the smart system of TV is weak and works at 20 kb
That's why you can not watch the Internet through television, a big disappointment
Wait for a web page to upload 3 minutes, a waste of time.

You can only open one web page for viewing that is very slow!
So it's worthless and owe a computer!
It should also be noted, Web pages that you see through smart TV look much better than your computer!
OLED it's WRGB all the video card RGB It may well be the problem in oled .

In OLED you need to order calibration for the screen every time a driver comes to the graphics card!
There is no calibration disk for OLED.
It comes out not worth calibrating the OLED for a computer.
i pay 600$ for 2 calibration for the OLED and calibration for OLED Not worth anything, it's a waste of money
I understand a bit about the problems using the oled as a "smart tv" but what is the experience using it as "Computer Monitor"?

Connecting the tv set directly to the computer so as to become the main display for the computer.

I can guess that its not the optimal situation - 55" or more - on a desktop, but what is the performance of the oled as the primary display, and did you switch the set to game mode?
post #16 of 22 Old 08-19-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin Tudorache View Post

It was actually the bitrate that made upscale movies look blocky and blurry. A 720p movie around 5GB (that I have) with a bitrate of 6000 looks stunningly crisp.

post #17 of 22 Old 08-19-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 146
WRGB vs RGB is irrelevant to OLED as monitor
post #18 of 22 Old 08-20-2017, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Since I figure this thread might actually bring out more of the pc users who use this set, can any of you please let me know what picture mode you use and any other settings you suggest I use when doing so. I have an intel compute stick that I use mostly for Kodi and Emulation Station if that makes a difference as to which picture mode you suggest.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I've been using my LG C7 with a gaming HTPC for months. Haven't noticed any burn in or image retention. You can hide the task bar and use a nifty feature called the "screen saver" if it worries you. Couldn't really imagine using anything else as a media center for the TV at the moment. I must say I'm getting a kick out of reading the arbitrary reasons for why it shouldn't be done.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-20-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
I've been using my LG C7 with a gaming HTPC for months. Haven't noticed any burn in or image retention. You can hide the task bar and use a nifty feature called the "screen saver" if it worries you. Couldn't really imagine using anything else as a media center for the TV at the moment. I must say I'm getting a kick out of reading the arbitrary reasons for why it shouldn't be done.
What picture mode do you use?
post #21 of 22 Old 08-20-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morille Tremblay View Post
Can the compute stick output in 4k?
Yes but I would imagine its only at 30hz. When I went to set up clear text it actual detected the LG's native resolution of 4k and asked me if I wanted to change it (I currently run at 1080p).
post #22 of 22 Old 08-24-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khahhsounds View Post
I understand a bit about the problems using the oled as a "smart tv" but what is the experience using it as "Computer Monitor"?

Connecting the tv set directly to the computer so as to become the main display for the computer.

I can guess that its not the optimal situation - 55" or more - on a desktop, but what is the performance of the oled as the primary display, and did you switch the set to game mode?
i tried everything
i also brought a professional calibration - that did not contribute anything.
more importantly with professional calibration seen worse

Video card gives the OLED 9300 to be connected on 8/10/12 BIT color
But in practice does not give anything of color quality.

Only in Samsung LED-1080P see DEEP COLOR and sony led
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page