LG E7 upscaler vs oppo udp-203 upscaller - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Adamd
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross
  • 1 Post By smoore

post #1 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG E7 upscaler vs oppo udp-203 upscaller

Planning on upgrading to OLED tv, I have the LG E7 in my sights; I am also planning to buy 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray player at the same time, I am looking at the oppo udp-203. My question is when watching 1080p blu-ray discs does the upscaler built into the LG E7 superior to the Oppo udp-203 or vice versa. Are there better products out there to get the best picture quality. I will be using this set up primarily to watch 1080p blu-rays along with 4K blu-rays as they are released. Any and all opinions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockradiokurt View Post
Planning on upgrading to OLED tv, I have the LG E7 in my sights; I am also planning to buy 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray player at the same time, I am looking at the oppo udp-203. My question is when watching 1080p blu-ray discs does the upscaler built into the LG E7 superior to the Oppo udp-203 or vice versa. Are there better products out there to get the best picture quality. I will be using this set up primarily to watch 1080p blu-rays along with 4K blu-rays as they are released. Any and all opinions are welcome.
i have 5 days old 65C7P and pretty happy with the built-in upscaler, I'm just hoping microsoft will have Dolby Vision HDR support for my xbox one S.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
I have a e6 and the 203. If I go very close to the screen with 1080p I can see the lg does a cleaner job at upscaling. From normal seated distance I can not really see the difference. I let the oppo do the upscaling though so I can use it's sharpening. Even at +1 I can tell it's a sharper image without making anything look over sharp. I know the oppo does a better job at upscaling very low res. all in all they both do a very good job.
Ken Ross likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I have a e6 and the 203. If I go very close to the screen with 1080p I can see the lg does a cleaner job at upscaling. From normal seated distance I can not really see the difference. I let the oppo do the upscaling though so I can use it's sharpening. Even at +1 I can tell it's a sharper image without making anything look over sharp. I know the oppo does a better job at upscaling very low res. all in all they both do a very good job.
I haven't checked the upscaling of the Oppo 203. However, I felt that the upscaling on the Oppo 103 looked better than the LG so when I got my Oppo 203 I let it do the upscaling. My Rogers DVR doesn't allow source direct and upscales everything to 4K so my C7 is not that signal. I haven't tested whether the LG or my Yamaha 2050 does a better job of upscaling my older AppleTV and my Samsung HD/Blu Ray player.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
i posted a similar question and got no response, hopefully someone can help me here.

not really sure where to post this question so here goes. I own the LG UP970 and the LG C7 and I had a question about playing regular blu rays. Is it better to use the up970 or my sony blu ray player? the up970 I assume upscales the 1080p source to 4k and I guess if I use the regular blu ray player the tv would upscale the blu ray from 1080p to 4k. i guess my question is who would convert the 1080p signal better, the LG 4k player to the LG TV or the sony blu ray to the LG TV?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 6589 Post(s)
Liked: 7298
Quote:
I had tested my Oppo 203's HD>4K upscaling vs my 77G7's upscaling of the same source. I found, using the Oppo's HDMI input from my Directv receiver, the LG did as well or slightly better. The difference was only seen at closer than normal viewing distances and even then, it was slight. At normal viewing distances, they both looked the same.
Spiff69 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2017, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Speaking of upscaling, I recently purchased 65E7P for over the air broadcasts should I set my set top box to 720p or 1080i?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel7 View Post
Speaking of upscaling, I recently purchased 65E7P for over the air broadcasts should I set my set top box to 720p or 1080i?
I remember reading on the B7/C7 thread that some people found that the picture was better on those sets if they used 720P rather than 1080i. I cannot recall the specifics of the problems using 1080i. You might want to search that thread for more information.
colonel7 likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-29-2017, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
I remember reading on the B7/C7 thread that some people found that the picture was better on those sets if they used 720P rather than 1080i. I cannot recall the specifics of the problems using 1080i. You might want to search that thread for more information.
Yea, I remember seeing that post but couldn't locate it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page