B6 OLED No Longer Displaying True Black - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By wxman
  • 1 Post By Destiny2
  • 1 Post By sechev00
  • 1 Post By no1special

post #1 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
B6 OLED No Longer Displaying True Black

Hi guys. I have owned an LG B6 since November of last year. Recently I noticed that my blacks had turned grey even though I had not changed any of my picture settings. I re-adjusted my brightness until it looked correct again, but I notice that in a dark room displaying a completely black screen, it still looks very dark grey, almost like I'm watching a plasma. Not sure what's going on here but I don't remember having this issue before. Anyone else experienced something similar? The picture still looks good, but I'm concerned there may be an underlying problem if the pixels aren't displaying a 'true' black anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Recent update seems to have raised the black level and some have reported that the glow persists no matter the setting,. However mine went back to black in a pitch black room at brightness 50.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This happened after the latest update. The blacks seem to have been raised.

only thing you can do is revert to the previous update or wait for LG to fix this.

i recommend everyone send LG an email.

Also anyone got the 4.31.20 US Update file?

LG OLED55B6P| Pioneer ELITE 111-FD

post #4 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto1023 View Post
This happened after the latest update. The blacks seem to have been raised.

only thing you can do is revert to the previous update or wait for LG to fix this.

i recommend everyone send LG an email.

Also anyone got the 4.31.20 US Update file?
Does anyone know where to find all of the previous updates? If your gonna revert might as well revert back to the firmware with the bright HDR game mode....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yeah I did think it was a strange coincidence that there was an update recently & then I experienced this change in the picture, just relieved to hear it's not an issue with the display itself. I tried resetting the TV to factory settings but the update did not revert. I guess we'll have to wait for LG to sort it out.

Last edited by Adam-JM; 09-15-2017 at 05:58 PM.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 05:56 PM

Or hope someone still has the previous updates available to share

post #7 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-JM View Post
Hi guys. I have owned an LG B6 since November of last year. Recently I noticed that my blacks had turned grey even though I had not changed any of my picture settings. I re-adjusted my brightness until it looked correct again, but I notice that in a dark room displaying a completely black screen, it still looks very dark grey, almost like I'm watching a plasma. Not sure what's going on here but I don't remember having this issue before. Anyone else experienced something similar? The picture still looks good, but I'm concerned there may be an underlying problem if the pixels aren't displaying a 'true' black anymore.
Could be the recent firmware update.

What are you using as your "black screen" to check the black levels? Not any black screen will do. Are you using calibration test patterns from a quality source (not youtube) like here: AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

Are you able to achieve no glow by lowering the brightness setting?

LG OLED65B6P
post #8 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Could be the recent firmware update.

What are you using as your "black screen" to check the black levels? Not any black screen will do. Are you using calibration test patterns from a quality source (not youtube) like here: AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

Are you able to achieve no glow by lowering the brightness setting?

It's most likely the recent firmware. I've got a 0% black pattern from the thread you shared on a USB stick and no matter how low you turn down brightness, it has a slight glow. Can mainly notice it when you have black transitions or if there is a good bit of black displaying on the screen for a while. Either way it's annoying the more I view stuff in a dark room which is most of the time considering OLED is known for true blacks. Hoping someone can share US previous firmware to successfully downgrade :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED55B6P ~ PS4 Pro ~ Xbox One S ~ Apple TV (4th generation)
post #9 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I hope LG doesn't bring their new "improved" black levels firmware to the C6 E6 series. I mean we are already blessed with the "improved" HDR game mode. Also I wonder what they're gonna improve next.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4537 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
I hope LG doesn't bring their new "improved" black levels firmware to the C6 E6 series. I mean we are already blessed with the "improved" HDR game mode. Also I wonder what they're gonna improve next.
There is one sure way to fix it if you have a service remote. Go into service menu and lower sub brightness to 127 or 126. This was the same issue I had almost a year ago with my E6 and the replacement E6 with gamma 2.2 and DV HDR. I could drop brightness to 0 and still I would see a glow. I discovered the fix by accident with the service remote and lowered sub brightness from 128 to 127. Glow was gone after that, and has not returned in almost a year. Unfortunately you need a service remote or the android app.
roque13 and no1special like this.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500

Last edited by wxman; 09-15-2017 at 11:11 PM.
post #11 of 29 Old 09-16-2017, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechev00 View Post
It's most likely the recent firmware. I've got a 0% black pattern from the thread you shared on a USB stick and no matter how low you turn down brightness, it has a slight glow. Can mainly notice it when you have black transitions or if there is a good bit of black displaying on the screen for a while. Either way it's annoying the more I view stuff in a dark room which is most of the time considering OLED is known for true blacks. Hoping someone can share US previous firmware to successfully downgrade :/

....and you did the same test with the same pattern in the same conditions with the previous firmware and had no glow? Not doubting you, just making sure.

I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't updated to latest firmware yet, to actually check with a 0% black field from a calibration pattern set in a completely dark room, eyes adjusted right before updating. Then check again after updating. It's possible, although unlikely, that you already had glow but maybe didn't notice it before. As an example, when I first checked for glow many months ago, I didn't see glow at 51. Then when I checked a month or 2 later, I did notice a very faint glow at 51. I'm pretty sure no firmware updated during that time. So either something else changed with the TV or I missed the glow the first time around (most likely).

As far as some people getting glow even when turning brightness way down, that was reported by some with previous firmware as well. So unless you checked for that condition both right before updating to latest FW and after updating, you may have already had this issue with older firmware and not realized it. There are some members posting that they can still achieve no glow with the latest firmware, so this issue may be set specific.

LG OLED65B6P
post #12 of 29 Old 09-16-2017, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
This is why I didn't update to the recent FW. I doubt I will ever update the FW on my B6. Even disconnected it from the internet just to be safe.

Screw LG. What a garbage company. Definitely not buying another TV from them.
jbrady3324 likes this.
post #13 of 29 Old 09-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there any way to stop the update notification from displaying every time I turn the tv on?
post #14 of 29 Old 09-16-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboyx View Post
Is there any way to stop the update notification from displaying every time I turn the tv on?

There is, just have to go into your router settings and block the LG update urls.

post #15 of 29 Old 09-16-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechev00 View Post
There is, just have to go into your router settings and block the LG update urls.

more info please!

post #16 of 29 Old 09-16-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My B6 is having the same issue after it installed the recent 05.30.03 update. My perfect blacks are now gone and changing the brightness settings has no impact. The screen now has a permanent glow.
post #17 of 29 Old 09-16-2017, 12:56 PM

i have the UK 4.31.25 firmware. not sure if its works like the 4.31.20

https://yadi.sk/d/luKhgpy63JKEfY

post #18 of 29 Old 09-17-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What is the process of reverting back firmwares?

Just go to the process as you would a new firmware, is it as simple? Anyone here try it themselves?
post #19 of 29 Old 09-20-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
....and you did the same test with the same pattern in the same conditions with the previous firmware and had no glow? Not doubting you, just making sure.

I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't updated to latest firmware yet, to actually check with a 0% black field from a calibration pattern set in a completely dark room, eyes adjusted right before updating. Then check again after updating. It's possible, although unlikely, that you already had glow but maybe didn't notice it before. As an example, when I first checked for glow many months ago, I didn't see glow at 51. Then when I checked a month or 2 later, I did notice a very faint glow at 51. I'm pretty sure no firmware updated during that time. So either something else changed with the TV or I missed the glow the first time around (most likely).

As far as some people getting glow even when turning brightness way down, that was reported by some with previous firmware as well. So unless you checked for that condition both right before updating to latest FW and after updating, you may have already had this issue with older firmware and not realized it. There are some members posting that they can still achieve no glow with the latest firmware, so this issue may be set specific.

Just wanted to go back to this since I’ve successfully downgraded. I can confirm that my black glow issue was not present before the latest firmware. I’ve downgraded back down to 04.31.20, and in a pitch black room, I no longer have a glow at 50 brightness setting. The firmware is definitely what introduced the raised blacks.
no1special likes this.

post #20 of 29 Old 09-21-2017, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I am so glad I lurk in this board quite often. Once I heard about the HDR Game mode issue in the previous firmware, I went to my tv settings and immediately turned off automatic updates before my tv got it. I do hope LG fixes both of those issues (darker HDR game mode and the new issue with losing perfect blacks).
post #21 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just started to watch blade runner 4k bd and the letterbox area is gray. Like edge-lit LCD gray. At least it is uniform but super distracting. Definitely wasn't like this before. Brightness at55, per usual and mostly standard rtings settings. Am I doing something wrong here...

Stuff, I have some of it
post #22 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
Just started to watch blade runner 4k bd and the letterbox area is gray. Like edge-lit LCD gray. At least it is uniform but super distracting. Definitely wasn't like this before. Brightness at55, per usual and mostly standard rtings settings. Am I doing something wrong here...
What firmware are you using? I'm still under the old firmware, that can achieve absolute black, and brightness at 55 would make my letterbox bars gray, too. 55 brightness seems too high, no matter the set or firmware. You should probably be at 50-52 with your brightness.
kristoffer77 likes this.

LG OLED65B6P
post #23 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I was able to downgrade successfully using the instructions here. It takes a little work, but if you take your time and follow the instructions it should work for you.

github.com/joey-astrologo/OLED55-65B6-Downgrade

post #24 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
And what about the result ?
post #25 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 149
B6 OLED No Longer Displaying True Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by peplum View Post
And what about the result ?

I have true black back. With the new software I had a glow even with brightness at 0. I had a glow even turning sub brightness down below 90. Downgraded and all is back to normal.

post #26 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roque13 View Post
I have true black back. With the new software I had a glow even with brightness at 0. I had a glow even turning sub brightness down below 90. Downgraded and all is back to normal.

Whatever LG did with the new FW to introduce the glow probably has nothing to do with brightness since adjusting brightness doesn't seem to have an affect on the glow. Wonder if we'll get a new FW that gives us HLG but without the glow.

LG OLED65B6P
post #27 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
What firmware are you using? I'm still under the old firmware, that can achieve absolute black, and brightness at 55 would make my letterbox bars gray, too. 55 brightness seems too high, no matter the set or firmware. You should probably be at 50-52 with your brightness.
My mistake; Brightness is/was at 50 (OLED light is at 55). Also I was on mobile and didn't see this was for the B6, as I have the B7. Sorry about that!

Stuff, I have some of it
post #28 of 29 Old 09-29-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by roque13 View Post
I was able to downgrade successfully using the instructions here. It takes a little work, but if you take your time and follow the instructions it should work for you.

github.com/joey-astrologo/OLED55-65B6-Downgrade

My 55B6 was updated, unfortunately, because I had it set to automatic. I looked at this link.....no way I can follow the directions. I called LG. They said the update had nothing that changed picture settings. They also said nothing could be done to go back to the prior software version. Hopefully, if enough people bitch to LG, they we come with another update. Until then, I am screwed!
post #29 of 29 Old 09-29-2017, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To get another voice on here, I am having an issue with the blacks having a slight glow as well on my b6 and reported it to LG. Not like it is super bad but given that pure blacks was the main selling point I hope if enough people report it this will be something they will look into. I do not recall having this issue before the firmware update but there is a possibility I simply did not notice. Fingers crossed it is firmware for me as well and it gets fixed in a future update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page