How much better is the new LG OLED compared to my old Sharp AQUOS LCD? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How much better is the new LG OLED compared to my old Sharp AQUOS LCD?

I have a 51 inch Sharp AQUOS LCD that I bought about 8 years ago.

I'm thinking about buying the new LG 55 inch C-series OLED.

But before I do, can anyone give me an opinion on how much better the LG will look (compared to my Sharp) when viewing 720/1080 content?

Will it be slightly better? Noticeably better? Night and day better?

Any insight is helpful to me. When I see the LG in my local Best Buy, it looks amazing, but I don't trust my eyes alone because I know they can play tricks in the showroom.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to say I am in the exact same boat - I have a 60" Aquos - which I still absolutely love but it is time for an LG E7
post #3 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurpers26 View Post
Just wanted to say I am in the exact same boat - I have a 60" Aquos - which I still absolutely love but it is time for an LG E7
I'm really nervous that I'm going to drop 2,000+ dollars on the OLED and that it is only going to be marginally better for 720/1080 content.

I need someone with some insight to let me know if I'm just being silly...

post #4 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7th View Post
I'm really nervous that I'm going to drop 2,000+ dollars on the OLED and that it is only going to be marginally better for 720/1080 content.

I need someone with some insight to let me know if I'm just being silly...
Go see an OLED on display. They look stunning. The amazing contrast and the colour being the same even if you aren't perfectly in front of the display is just amazing.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR5007, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93
post #5 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

But before I do, can anyone give me an opinion on how much better the LG will look (compared to my Sharp) when viewing 720/1080 content?

Any insight is helpful to me. When I see the LG in my local Best Buy, it looks amazing, but I don't trust my eyes alone because I know they can play tricks in the showroom.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Go see an OLED on display. They look stunning. The amazing contrast and the colour being the same even if you aren't perfectly in front of the display is just amazing.
Did you see this part:

Quote:
When I see the LG in my local Best Buy, it looks amazing, but I don't trust my eyes alone because I know they can play tricks in the showroom.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I have last year's model, a 55" LG OLED B6. The real strength these TVs bring in viewing regular HD content is in the outstanding contrast and color they offer. The upscaling to 4K/UHD helps a bit, but the improved color and contrast are the bigger improvements over older LCD TVs. And the fact that the color and contrast looks great from any seat in the room with OLED, not just when viewed from head-on, as is often the case with LCDs. (It is important, though, to pick the right picture mode and tweak the settings a bit to get the best picture on these LGs rather than just keeping the default settings out of the box.)

On the other hand, I've read some complaints from OLED owners who feel like these TVs make the flaws in lower quality signals (e.g. overly compressed cable TV) more noticeable. I haven't really noticed that but then I only watch streaming sources (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, etc.) plus OTA TV (which is less compressed and generally better quality than cable) and occasional Blu-ray discs. However, even SD OTA channels look better to me on my LG OLED than they did on my old Samsung LCD that I bought about 8 years ago.

I think the average person who cares about TV would think that regular broadcast/cable/satellite TV channels look somewhat better on the LG OLEDs but probably not "night-and-day" different. The increase is picture quality is even more apparent with 1080p HD Blu-ray discs -- they look amazing, almost like true 4K. And when you watch the growing amount of 4K HDR content available from Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, etc., these TVs will blow you away! (BTW, cable and satellite are slowly showing more and more 4K content. I think 2018 will be the year when it really breaks through based on things I'm reading. One quarter of US households will have a 4K TV by the end of this year.)
lsorensen, sickkent and no1special like this.
post #7 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I have last year's model, a 55" LG OLED B6. The real strength these TVs bring in viewing regular HD content is in the outstanding contrast and color they offer. The upscaling to 4K/UHD helps a bit, but the improved color and contrast are the bigger improvements over older LCD TVs. And the fact that the color and contrast looks great from any seat in the room with OLED, not just when viewed from head-on, as is often the case with LCDs. (It is important, though, to pick the right picture mode and tweak the settings a bit to get the best picture on these LGs rather than just keeping the default settings out of the box.)

On the other hand, I've read some complaints from OLED owners who feel like these TVs make the flaws in lower quality signals (e.g. overly compressed cable TV) more noticeable. I haven't really noticed that but then I only watch streaming sources (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, etc.) plus OTA TV (which is less compressed and generally better quality than cable) and occasional Blu-ray discs. However, even SD OTA channels look better to me on my LG OLED than they did on my old Samsung LCD that I bought about 8 years ago.

I think the average person who cares about TV would think that regular broadcast/cable/satellite TV channels look somewhat better on the LG OLEDs but probably not "night-and-day" different. The increase is picture quality is even more apparent with 1080p HD Blu-ray discs -- they look amazing, almost like true 4K. And when you watch the growing amount of 4K HDR content available from Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, etc., these TVs will blow you away! (BTW, cable and satellite are slowly showing more and more 4K content. I think 2018 will be the year when it really breaks through based on things I'm reading. One quarter of US households will have a 4K TV by the end of this year.)
Very helpful, thanks!
NashGuy likes this.
post #8 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Did you see this part:
Apparently I missed that part.

But yes they do look that good. Your eyes are not tricking you in the show room. If anything the showroom often makes them look worse than they really are.

Len Sorensen

post #9 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Sulu would be "Gobsmacked"

Sony XBR55A1E
post #10 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Apparently I missed that part.

But yes they do look that good. Your eyes are not tricking you in the show room. If anything the showroom often makes them look worse than they really are.
Yeah. OLED TVs, with their perfect blacks, REALLY shine and pop when viewed in a dark room. Hard to tell that under bright showroom lights. I really love my LG B6!
post #11 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 194
A lot better. Even though I don't own an 8 year old Sharp Aquos to compare, I can't imagine ANY 8 year old LCD looking even close to as good as an OLED. A friend has a 70" Sharp LCD (not sure if it's Aquos) from about that long ago, and it's awful with black levels. The picture always appeared washed out to me, even after I tried optimizing his settings one day. Nothing now or in the past can touch the contrast/pop and color that OLED provides. It's not a marginal improvement, IMO. Only the best Plasmas and a few, expensive newer LED LCDs get close which one could say the difference is marginal.

LG OLED65B6P
post #12 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Many sharp aquos lcd's used rgb +y color , they added yellow to the rgb mix to increase saturation levels (i liked what they did). lg oled uses filtered rgb ( white light through rgb filters). a different approach on color.

If you are just asking in overall terms, oled should definitely look better than an aquos lcd or any old lcd. how better let your eyes decide. since you already own a sharp aquos and know how it looks, go see an oled tv on demo to get the difference.
Another thing, if you watch lots of 720p/1080p or lower resolution content, i would rather say to look at the sony a1e oled rather than lg because the sony has a better upscaler and noise suppression is better. for 4k content viewing, the lg is just as good.
post #13 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Guys, the OP already mentioned he saw the LG OLEDs in person at a local Best Buy, but he doesn't trust the "tricks" stores use to make the sets look great. He's asking what we think with our sets in normal viewing conditions and optimized settings.

LG OLED65B6P
post #14 of 34 Old 09-23-2017, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked: 2452
New format and displays offer ultra high definition ,wide color gamut,10bit panels.High Dynamic Range.

If you only watch content in 1080p,720,480 ,I recommend to just keep your tv.A native 1080p display will always do better than any upscaling algorithm.

Last edited by losservatore; 09-24-2017 at 12:02 AM.
post #15 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Guys, the OP already mentioned he saw the LG OLEDs in person at a local Best Buy, but he doesn't trust the "tricks" stores use to make the sets look great. He's asking what we think with our sets in normal viewing conditions and optimized settings.
Right. I'm sure the demo reel they use in the showroom isn't set to 720/1080 and, since most of the content I watch is in that format, I don't really have a way to compare my current set to the LG (outside of just buying it and returning it if I'm not satisfied.)
post #16 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
New format and displays offer ultra high definition ,wide color gamut,10bit panels.High Dynamic Range.

If you only watch content in 1080p,720,480 ,I recommend to just keep your tv.A native 1080p display will always do better than any upscaling algorithm.
All my 1080p content looks miles better on my C6 than on my two plasmas. And the C7 is better than my C6 too.
post #17 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
Many sharp aquos lcd's used rgb +y color , they added yellow to the rgb mix to increase saturation levels (i liked what they did). lg oled uses filtered rgb ( white light through rgb filters). a different approach on color.

If you are just asking in overall terms, oled should definitely look better than an aquos lcd or any old lcd. how better let your eyes decide. since you already own a sharp aquos and know how it looks, go see an oled tv on demo to get the difference.
Another thing, if you watch lots of 720p/1080p or lower resolution content, i would rather say to look at the sony a1e oled rather than lg because the sony has a better upscaler and noise suppression is better. for 4k content viewing, the lg is just as good.
The LG panels use RGB+W for extra brightness, which is probably not that different than what sharp did with RGB+Y.

So yes they use RGB filters on white to get the colours, but add an extra unfiltered white element to each pixel too.

Len Sorensen

post #18 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
The LG panels use RGB+W for extra brightness, which is probably not that different than what sharp did with RGB+Y.

So yes they use RGB filters on white to get the colours, but add an extra unfiltered white element to each pixel too.
that is not what sharp used in their lcd's which they called 4 color 'quattron', read up about it here
http://www.sharp-world.com/aquos/en/...nnovation.html
lg's wrgb is a different approach.
post #19 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincible11111 View Post
All my 1080p content looks miles better on my C6 than on my two plasmas. And the C7 is better than my C6 too.
$2,200.00 worth of better?

(serious question)
post #20 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

(serious question)
Its alot of money but they are really good. I think it was well worth the upgrade.
post #21 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Thanks.
As a owner of a Sharp Aquos SE LCD for nine years, it was my first and best lcd set.
Having paid $3400 for this set was expensive but worth it. I replaced this set with 2016
E65P for $3400.

Oled have the best picture period. But, do not believe the information about corrective
software for IR. If you watch tv for news on all channels with banners you will have burn in
from banners. I am not a gamer but a news junkie and love movies. You do NOT want a red
burn in banner in your background.

Do your own research on your set. The forum gives good information. Got my information on
the Sharp, when it was on top of its game, in 2008. Got information on LG OLED here also. The
problems was LG's brochures which does not state the truth about IR and burn in. They do not
warranty burn in. Read all the other threads on this forum about these sets. Then make an informed
decision.
post #22 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrader View Post
As a owner of a Sharp Aquos SE LCD for nine years, it was my first and best lcd set.
Having paid $3400 for this set was expensive but worth it. I replaced this set with 2016
E65P for $3400.

Oled have the best picture period. But, do not believe the information about corrective
software for IR. If you watch tv for news on all channels with banners you will have burn in
from banners. I am not a gamer but a news junkie and love movies. You do NOT want a red
burn in banner in your background.

Do your own research on your set. The forum gives good information. Got my information on
the Sharp, when it was on top of its game, in 2008. Got information on LG OLED here also. The
problems was LG's brochures which does not state the truth about IR and burn in. They do not
warranty burn in. Read all the other threads on this forum about these sets. Then make an informed
decision.
Just buy the TV from Best Buy and spend some time with it in your home. If you don’t like it, you can return it for a full refund. Do that and you will answer your question.

In case you're wondering, my setup: Sony 65x950b, Denon x3200W, 2 Martin Logan 35XT, 1 ML Motion 8 Center Channel, and 1 ML Dynamo 700W Sub.
post #23 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

(serious question)
No one else can answer that question for you because different people put different values both on that amount of money and on TV picture quality. Speaking for myself, when I bought last year, it had been several years since I had gotten my old 55" Samsung LCD and I had had my eyes on OLED technology for a few years, waiting for it to mature and come down in price. The 2016 LG OLEDs were the first generation to really arrive, IMO. If I could get one for the same or less than I paid for the Samsung ($1830), I'd bite. I waited until early November and got the 55" B6 for $1,500 from a retail store (Adorama) selling on eBay. I would *strongly* suggest you wait until Nov. to buy a new LG OLED as the prices WILL come down for Black Friday sales (which now somewhat extend throughout the month).

All that said, a big part of the reason I upgraded to the new TV was because I wanted to start enjoying UHD and HDR content and I wanted a TV that would be future-proof. 2016 and '17 LG OLEDs support all three major HDR formats, HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG, so I know that my TV will be compatible as broadcast and cable TV join streaming services in offering higher quality video formats. If all I was going to do with the new TV was keep watching standard HD broadcast TV channels, I'm not sure it would have been worth the money to me. Yes, everything looks better on my B6 but regular HD still looked good to me on the old Samsung. It was worth buying the B6 at the price I got it for, though, because it lets me enjoy UHD and HDR content NOW and I know that there's only going to be more and more of it available going forward.

If you don't and won't subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime Video (which both offer UHD HDR content), have no intention to buy or rent movies in UHD (e.g. from VUDU or on UHD Blu-ray), and wouldn't bother getting a new UHD-capable box from your cable or satellite provider (DirecTV, DISH, Comcast and Layer3 all offer them, Verizon FiOS soon will), then I guess I'd tell you to just stick with your current Sharp LCD if it works OK and you're not unhappy with it. In the meantime, TVs will only get better and cheaper. You could always upgrade in another year or two when UHD content is more widespread.
DAB and losservatore like this.
post #24 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 343
You can't even compare the two. OLED will destroy it.

Sony 65" A1E Sammy 8500 UHD player
OPPO 83 &103 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
Acurus 200A3 Paradigm studio 60 V5's
post #25 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
No one else can answer that question for you because different people put different values both on that amount of money and on TV picture quality. Speaking for myself, when I bought last year, it had been several years since I had gotten my old 55" Samsung LCD and I had had my eyes on OLED technology for a few years, waiting for it to mature and come down in price. The 2016 LG OLEDs were the first generation to really arrive, IMO. If I could get one for the same or less than I paid for the Samsung ($1830), I'd bite. I waited until early November and got the 55" B6 for $1,500 from a retail store (Adorama) selling on eBay. I would *strongly* suggest you wait until Nov. to buy a new LG OLED as the prices WILL come down for Black Friday sales (which now somewhat extend throughout the month).

All that said, a big part of the reason I upgraded to the new TV was because I wanted to start enjoying UHD and HDR content and I wanted a TV that would be future-proof. 2016 and '17 LG OLEDs support all three major HDR formats, HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG, so I know that my TV will be compatible as broadcast and cable TV join streaming services in offering higher quality video formats. If all I was going to do with the new TV was keep watching standard HD broadcast TV channels, I'm not sure it would have been worth the money to me. Yes, everything looks better on my B6 but regular HD still looked good to me on the old Samsung. It was worth buying the B6 at the price I got it for, though, because it lets me enjoy UHD and HDR content NOW and I know that there's only going to be more and more of it available going forward.

If you don't and won't subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime Video (which both offer UHD HDR content), have no intention to buy or rent movies in UHD (e.g. from VUDU or on UHD Blu-ray), and wouldn't bother getting a new UHD-capable box from your cable or satellite provider (DirecTV, DISH, Comcast and Layer3 all offer them, Verizon FiOS soon will), then I guess I'd tell you to just stick with your current Sharp LCD if it works OK and you're not unhappy with it. In the meantime, TVs will only get better and cheaper. You could always upgrade in another year or two when UHD content is more widespread.
All good advice.

I think at this point I'll wait until November and see what prices are. I do have Amazon Prime and DirecTV, so I can get some 4k/HDR content that way. And I don't mind up grading my Netflix account to 4k either. My real indecision rests on the fact that most (more than 75%) of the content I watch just is not available in any other format besides 720/1080.

As far as streaming goes, would you (or anyone) advise just using the apps on the LG, or getting an Apple TV, or getting a Roku? I guess Amazon is updating the Fire box for 4k/HDR soon too, so there's that.
post #26 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All good advice.

I think at this point I'll wait until November and see what prices are. I do have Amazon Prime and DirecTV, so I can get some 4k/HDR content that way. And I don't mind up grading my Netflix account to 4k either. My real indecision rests on the fact that most (more than 75%) of the content I watch just is not available in any other format besides 720/1080.

As far as streaming goes, would you (or anyone) advise just using the apps on the LG, or getting an Apple TV, or getting a Roku? I guess Amazon is updating the Fire box for 4k/HDR soon too, so there's that.
I think if you buy an LG C7 (or the very similar B7P at Costco or the B7A elsewhere) this fall at a price you're OK with, you won't regret the purchase. The current 720/1080 stuff you watch will look better, plus you'll be able to start enjoying the growing amount of UHD/HDR content available. I'm sure next year's 2018 LG OLEDs will be incrementally better again but I don't expect any huge leaps. So why not upgrade now if you can afford it?

LG has very good built-in apps for Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Plex, VUDU, Pandora, Google Play Movies & TV and some others. Their Hulu app is a bit flakey sometimes and doesn't support the new live TV feature but is otherwise good. But it doesn't have apps for HBO, Showtime, Starz or any of the cable-channel apps (ESPN, HGTV, FX, etc.). If the apps on the LG meet your needs, I'd say stick with them because they work well and it just reduces complexity (no switching inputs, no HDMI handshake issues, etc). If there are other apps you need, then yeah, you'll need some kind of streaming box or stick I use the LG's built-in apps where possible and switch to my old Apple TV for apps from Showtime, HBO and PBS (all of which only offer HD stuff anyhow, no UHD/HDR yet).
a7th likes this.
post #27 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked: 2452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincible11111 View Post
Yes it looks better in color ,contrast ect ,but from his posts it seems that he mainly watch 1080p and lower sources like cable.

You get 0 upscaling on a 1080p display with 1080p content ,That's native resolution. Not all 1080i/p sources are pristine ,A 1080p display can handle better lower sources.

I agree that it will looks just fine on uhd displays ,noise and artifacts are hard to tell at seating distance.
a7th likes this.
post #28 of 34 Old 09-24-2017, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All good advice.

You seem to be hung up on resolution. Don't buy the OLED for 4K. Buy it for amazing contrast and color pop, which will make any resolution look better. To me, there's not a huge difference between 1080p and 4K, especially if you sit several feet away or more. To me, HDR is something to get more excited about than 4K.

LG OLED65B6P
post #29 of 34 Old 09-25-2017, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
To me, there's not a huge difference between 1080p and 4K, especially if you sit several feet away or more. To me, HDR is something to get more excited about than 4K.
100% agree. I don't mean to sound overly concerned about 4k.

While I know that on the OLED set 4K/HDR content will look fantastic, I'm just curious if the visual difference on lower sources will be noticeable, and if so, how much. This is, of course, a question that has no *real* answer, as everything looks slightly different to each individual's eyes, but still, before I drop 2,200 hundred dollars I would like to get some idea of what I might reasonably expect.
post #30 of 34 Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I upgraded in February from a 2006 Sharp Aquos 720p set to a 2016 E6 OLED. There is absolutely no comparison. Regardless of resolution, everything will look better due to the color capabilities and true blacks you get with the OLED. Yes, you will see more of the flaws in the crappy content some providers deliver (cable!), but that is just the set delivering the full detail of the broadcast (good and bad). Personally, seeing all of these details is better to me; hiding them with an inferior display device isn't making the delivery any better; you're missing just as much of the good as the bad with an LCD, but you're missing out on ALL of the good of decent content without an OLED.

There is already plenty of 4K content out there, and it's growing rapidly so don't let that be a reason not to upgrade.

The blacks. OMG, the blacks. You will never go back to the gray, blooming, light bleed mess that are LCDs after you move to OLED. My LCD looked fine to me too before I upgraded; now I can't believe I could ever watch anything on that cloudy old beast. Forget everything else, blacks alone are reason enough to upgrade.

Black Friday sales should get you a great price on this year's OLEDs. Good luck!
a7th likes this.

OLED55E6P 609, XB1S, Comcast, Roku 2 (4210 build)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page