AVS Forum banner

OLED Happy Owners Thread (No Burn Talk)

18K views 255 replies 57 participants last post by  citsur86 
#1 · (Edited)
Happy over here, picked up my 65" EF9500 in Sept 2015 and a 65E7 in August 2017, love em both. Play hours of gaming and watching the news for years.

EF9500 is at 2949 hours (perfect)
65 E7 is at about 300 hours (perfect)

Been playing lots of COD and Madden on my EF9500 as of late and watching the rest on the E7.

I am glad I purchased in 2015 and again in 2017 as there is not that much difference between the two in terms of outstanding picture from all angles, blacks and color.

Before I picked up the EF9500 I purchased the top of the line Samsung and Sony, both were returned when the non curved LG OLED was released as nothing compares. WebOS is really good too, I actually like it over some of the others OS's out there.

Prior to owning the the Sony and Samsung I had the Pioneer 151 Kuro which was hard to part with but time moves on and technology gets outdated.

So I am glad to be an owner and would recommend OLED to anyone wanting a truly exceptional quality TV.

Enjoy viewing and please post your positive experience.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Very pleased overall with my lg 65" E series OLED. The 3D is the muts nuts. The blacks are infinite. My movie collection has never looked better. Its like watching my favs all over again. Is it perfect? nah, of course not, but its the best TV Ive ever owned and Ive had some Sony CRTs, KUROs, etc. I dont miss any of those. ;)

OLED is NOT for everyone but for those that are into movies & sports its very hard to beat the overall PQ you get. Its crazy good.

#5 ·
Happy owner here too. I bought the LG 55" EF9500 in June/July 2016 and my 65" Sony A1E in August 2017. I love them both.

EF9500 is at 1085 hours with no issues
65 A1E over 200 hours? The system info doesn't give hours used like the LG so I'm estimating.

-Recently I've been watching Amazon prime videos on the EF9500 and playing the occasional game or two of Forza Horizon 3. In the last year I have racked up most of those 1000+ hours gaming completing games like Forza Horizon, The Last of Us, Infamous First Light, Gravity Rush 2, etc

-I bought the Xbox One S soon after I bought the LG EF9500 and it was my first experience with 4k Blu ray and HDR. The EF9500 spoiled my eyes and I no longer enjoyed watching television on my Sony hx929, Vizo M Series, or Samsung LCD when previously I had always been happy with the picture quality.

-The Sony A1E has been getting the majority of my attention lately. I have 40 hours in Horizon Zero Dawn that have all been completed on the A1E. Most of my Directv Now watching is done on the A1E as well. I watch 4k Blu Rays on both my OLEDs.

-The biggest compliment that I pay OLED is to say that it did what Plasma didn't do. Plasma was never able to convert me from FALD LCD despite some of the advantages Plasma had. I was an LCD guy. OLED has converted me from FALD LCD.

Reactions: satboy
#12 ·
I've been an OLED owner since May of 2017. My B7 has been great. The perfect blacks give a wonderful depth to images that was missing on my last two LCD TVs. I do a lot of gaming on mine. In fact, I would say that its primary use for the last two months has been Minecraft, my kids play hours of it a week in coop, and I have no burn-in despite the static HUD in the game. Other stuff that I use my OLED for- my HTPC (mostly gaming), Netflix and Amazon Prime 4K, Blu-ray, etc. One thing that I have to say is that LG really nailed it with regards to WebOS. It's fantastic, fast and stable. The entire interface is great.

The only thing that's dissatisfied me is the uniformity. I don't have vignetting but I do have some bars on near-black that occasionally show in content.

#14 ·
Its not really if you follow the instructions and download the package a few pages back. You need your computers ip and the firmware file. Make sure you unzip or install to c: drive and edit the proper file inthe instructions with your pc ip.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Happy owner here as well, LG EG9600 , 2300 hrs , running strong & good. I have it in my media room and uses are HD cable/4K Bluray, Netflix, HTPC browsing/movies/music/kodi, PS4 gaming - Assasin's creed titles, FIFA, Grand theft auto V, Uncharted, Shadow of Mordor, etc.

My previous sets were Panasonic plasmas and Oled was the right upgrade for me, it's awesome. I still have my Panasonic ST60, sold the GT50 and have a Sony xbr, which I enjoy also because of the size. The Oled is bright , colors are nice, motion is alright, contrast is thumbs up and blacks, well we all know they are stellar. Newer oleds are just that much better, I will upgrade in a year or two.

3D is the best I've seen on a tv and when you have a large collection of bluray movies, it makes you watch them all over again.

#19 ·
I think in 2018 we will see a 100"+ OLED and a $1500 65" HDR OLED. I think 2018 is the year OLED start to make LED models scarce in retail. I don't believe PQ will improve over 2017. I saw the E7 and A1E match the Sony BVM-X300 at the shootout. There's no area above the current PQ to improve that recreational viewers will be able to discern.

I'm kinda disappointed I don't have an excuse to bribe sales guys for 2018 sets to get the first units in the warehouse. Between Sony's dynamic HDR10 and the new LG Technicolor picture mode FW update (which is delivering turn-key reference playback), for the first time since having the wherewithal to purchase, I'm curious as a hobbyist, but don't really care about what to expect in 2018.

There's some scenes on the 2017 OLEDs where the brightness hurt my eyes, measuring 1000nits I can live without.

#20 ·
I think in 2018 we will see a 100"+ OLED and a $1500 65" HDR OLED. I think 2018 is the year OLED start to make LED models scarce in retail. I don't believe PQ will improve over 2017. I saw the E7 and A1E match the Sony BVM-X300 at the shootout. There's no area above the current PQ to improve that recreational viewers will be able to discern.
When I see 60" or 65" OLEDs drop below the $2,000 barrier, I think it'll be time for me to take a serious look.
2018 would be nice, but I realize it could very easily be 2019 or 2020. I also want my OLED to be very thin,
like . . . 1.1" or less.

:smile:

Reactions: Al Leong
#21 ·
My family are somewhat happy owners of our LG B6 OLED, too, except for the issue we have with it that we're not supposed to discuss in this thread.

For the record, I think the fact that someone created a thread specifically to not discuss an issue with the TVs just adds to the legitimacy of the issue. Anyway, if this thread keeps the BI deniers and downplayers from hijacking the BI threads that are supposed to be about actually discussing the issue, then I'm all for this thread. I doubt that'll happen though.

#23 ·
1 - This is not an issues thread so your post if off topic.
2 - I personally didn't deny anything, just haven't experienced it after being an owner since 2015 as others have posted over and over.
3 - Sorry it happened to you but this thread was created for the real happy customers, so far many posts
4 - Only one so far is you to post a negative post, but that's no different than the other posts you have posted since joining the forum not too long ago.
5 - Please do not respond, I get your position and feel for you but it's discussed to death in the other threads and not my experience. This thread was my choice to discuss my experiences and share with others.
6 - I am a happy owner and will continue to discuss my happiness as I see fit.

I am not here to attack or fight others so again no need to respond as your post is just that, you are accusing me of denying something by creating a thread.

Please respect the thread.

#24 · (Edited)
Last year my room got substantial upgrades starting with a 4K AVR for 7.1.4 ATMOS audio in February
Which eventually led to a 4K JVC projector upgrade and 4K bluray player in August.
... and finally the old 50" Kuro was replaced on Black Friday with an LG 65" B6 OLED.

No regrets and no issues at all,
Just like both my Pioneer Plasma's that lasted a decade, and just got moved to other rooms.
Fantastic Contrast, Deep Blacks ...always a top priority to me.
But now at 65", 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision, Smart TV apps ...its Amazing!

My 65" B6 was also about $1000 less than my first Pioneer, a pre-Kuro PDP-5070 from 2006

Even a photo (shot with a samsung smartphone) is like looking through a window :eek:

1080p doesn't look half bad either...

#31 ·
Last year my room got substantial upgrades starting with a 4K AVR for 7.1.4 ATMOS audio in February
Which eventually led to a 4K JVC projector upgrade and 4K bluray player in August.
... and finally the old 50" Kuro was replaced on Black Friday with an LG 65" B6 OLED.

No regrets and no issues at all,
Just like both my Pioneer Plasma's that lasted a decade, and just got moved to other rooms.
Fantastic Contrast, Deep Blacks ...always a top priority to me.
But now at 65", 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision, Smart TV apps ...its Amazing!

My 65" B6 was also about $1000 less than my first Pioneer, a pre-Kuro PDP-5070 from 2006

Even a photo (shot with a samsung smartphone) is like looking through a window :eek:

1080p doesn't look half bad either...

I can't believe the actions of some trolls that already racked up 600+ posts in 3 months with negative crap in other OLED threads
still feel compelled to take a cheap shot in this thread too, absolutely disrespectful and should be deleted.
Exactly!

Reactions: nodixe
#26 ·
Happy owner of a 65E6P. The best display I have ever owned by far.

TV is used for gaming, cable TV, streaming, and UHD/ BD watching. Makes everything look fantastic image wise.

A few annoyances with it. Motion could be better, have some light yellow staining on white backgrounds on the left side of the screen, dim HDR Game mode without DC, no dynamic tone mapping on DC low like 2017 models, not wallpaper or 77" lol. Other than that, it's a stellar TV that just makes me want to consume any and all content on it to just marvel at the image.

Reactions: Cam1977
#27 ·
Really love the 3D from my 2016 65" "c". For me it's what Oleds were made for. And I appreciate the folks who shared their troubles warnings/links regarding burn in and how to hopefully avoid it. I need mine to stay in great shape since it's irreplaceable at this point. So a big thank you to them!

I recently found that turning the sharpness up to 50...all the way up, produced an even clearer picture with animated 3D movies. And the picture stays clean. Anyone else found this?

#28 ·
Love my OLED55E6P. I was recently away for five days stuck with a crappy hotel LCD TV (an LG BTW) and upon my return was reintroduced to the beautiful picture this TV produces, even watching compressed as sh1t Comcast cable. Renewed appreciation.

Very minor issues with near black and motion, and occasional handshake issues with my XB1S, but far and away the best set I've ever owned. Even though I have no evidence of it, I also turned down the OLED light setting to under 50 to avoid the "potential issue that should not be named here". Nothing will ever be perfect, but this is close!

Reactions: no1special
#29 ·
Very happy B6 owner here since October 2016. Best TV I have ever owned. It has actually ruined all other display devices for me since now when I am on my iPhone, iPad, or watching the tv in my room all I see are grey blacks.

It also ruined other TV's for my girlfriend who now complains about how bad TV shows and movies look on her TV at home!

And as a gamer, games have never looked this glorious. :D

#30 ·
In 2015 I sold my 2 VT60 plasmas to jump into the HDR world , I tried many LCDs but I was not happy with the inherent issues that LCD have in a dark enviroment . I love and enjoy watching movies in a dark environment , Oled blows my mind in that enviroment.

I'm a happy Oled owner.

#32 ·
Happy LG 65c7 owner here. Had the set about a month now. 4k HDR still drops my jaw. As many others, came from a whole household of Panasonic Plasmas. The new set just rearranged the plasmas to different rooms.

We all know they are not perfect. But hey neither were the plasmas.

Plasmas:
1) Put out heat like a mutha - my OLED isn't even slightly warm
2) Plasmas were dog poo for gaming (laggy things) - My OLED is fantastic for gaming
3) Plasmas were dim - wasn't so much of a problem until you go from watching your OLED to watching your plasma

No slides were used here, so no banding/vignetting as far as I can see. Therefore it does not exist.

Reactions: satboy
#35 ·
Beyond me as well, simple fact is oled might not be for everyone. I had terrible experience with my very first oled the ef9500...but LG did right by me...and my experience since then has mostly been positive. I also have to credit these forums for learning more about the set then any review out their...plenty of knowledgeable folks on here.

#45 ·
Just wait until you get the Technicolor FW update.. you are about to have an entirely new TV...

#44 · (Edited)
LOVE LOVE LOVE my 55 and 65 C6.

Watching the Raiders and Kansas City Football tonight and looks amazing.

The set does have a few moments with really poor quality feed night scenes like low budget on SYFY but I see the grayish black clouding on feed like this on no more than 2 percent of my viewing. The other 98 percent is awesome.

I am now 100 percent certain my picture even got better. I pulled my Comcast rental modem/router and purchased a Netgear modem and router. I was updating a bunch of my audio gear and purchased a potentially better power strip than I was using.

One of these changes or all three made a great improvement. I'm quite familiar with placebo and this isn't the case. I bought these to dump the rental with no intention of seeing an improvement. Surprise.

I suggest dumping your rental modem/router if you use one and buy something else.

Just incredible viewing experience. What's a burn-in???

I suggest this modem: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgea...3-1-cable-modem-black/5712202.p?skuId=5712202

Router:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-orbi-wireless-ac2200-wi-fi-router-white/5868310.p?skuId=5868310

Power center: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGNPC8&variation=XL

Rick

#51 ·
LOVE LOVE LOVE my 55 and 65 C6.

I suggest dumping your rental modem/router if you use one and buy something else.

Rick
Couldn't agree with this more. Was using the modem and router that Optimum provided, which are not bad BTW, by any stretch, but the problem is that they act as hotspots for their Optimum Wifi service as well. I have a 300mb service and would get in the 270mb range wired, and around 30mb wireless. I bought a Netgear Nighthawk modem/router combo and now get about 350mb wired and 300mb wireless. Night and day difference. The range is much better as well, as I get full bars on wifi devices on the top floor now, whereas before, I would need to actually use Optimum wifi instead of my own wifi coming from the router, because it had a better signal (2 or 3 bars vs 1).

Not paying the rental fee will pay off even a very expensive router/modem in 2-3 years or less, and you'll have a much better experience to boot.

#48 · (Edited)
MR soft ,a FUD spreaded by Shandung people.
I'm telling you the picture is sharper and has greater detail. You can think what you will. I lived with this set for a year. I know it inside and out. The goal was never to improve picture quality. Never crossed my mind.

Give it a try. All pieces have a 30 day return window.

Rick

#50 ·
I was lucky to find a new in the box 55C6P in mid-July, right at the end of the "6" availability. No room for a 65" here :-(

March 2017 build date, latest firmware (I'm not an HDR gamer) and it has about 550 hours on it so far. I am thoroughly enjoying this TV and couldn't be happier!

It replaced a 2014 Samsung 55HU8550 LCD in my basement home theater that was a "temporary" 4K/3D fill-in between my Pioneer Kuro 50" plasma and OLED (I thought "well, maybe someday").

When I found out they were killing 3D (which I love) from all of the 2017 OLEDs (and maybe for good!), I searched, found the new C6 and went for it. I am so glad I did and wouldn't trade it for anything else right now! The perfect, uniform blacks sure beat the murky, cloudy blacks of the LCD. (even with a bias light) And the OLED passive "full 1080 in each eye" 3D is so much better than the active, battery powered, dim, flickery 3D on the Samsung LCD its not even funny! My (still growing) 3D blu-ray collection is safe for the next several years. I hope things do change though and the TV mfr's bring 3D back at some point going forward.

I was a little worried about vertical banding but its minimal on mine and seems to have gotten even a little better over time. In fact I think the DSE on the LCD was at least as bad or worse and don't normally notice it on actual content.

In September I had it professionally calibrated by Chad B. Highly recommended and worth every penny! Mine had a bit of a green push (especially in 3D mode) and some black crush . That's all gone now and the grayscale performance is pretty much perfect in both modes. He did what he could with HDR and HDR10 looks great, but Dolby Vision can't be calibrated in the 2016 "6" sets so I use my Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray player to watch Netflix or Youtube HDR material in HDR10. (The built-in LG Netflix app will default to DV and the built-in Youtube app doesn't have HDR) This is more than fine for me.

#57 ·
I was lucky to find a new in the box 55C6P in mid-July, right at the end of the "6" availability. No room for a 65" here :-(

When I found out they were killing 3D (which I love) from all of the 2017 OLEDs (and maybe for good!), I searched, found the new C6 and went for it. I am so glad I did and wouldn't trade it for anything else right now!
Same here. Not even the 2017 Oleds are of any interest to me. Really, really glad I bought a 2016 model. The 3D is totally awesome, what these Oleds seem to have been made for.

#54 ·
Happy B7 owner, my only annoyance is the goal posts I can see when viewing darker/gray scenes. Despite its flaws, I could not have an LED for display after spending 3 months with an OLED. Don't miss my VT60 for a second. Still up in the air about pursuing the goal posts with LG though, since my display doesn't suffer from any other issues discussed in great detail on other threads. Thanks for starting this one and as for a brighter OLED in the future, not interested since what I'm getting now can be too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.