AVS Forum banner

Buying OLED TV need advice about it

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  lsorensen 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I would like to know the following thing. I'm ready on buying my first OLED TV but I still have one important question about it. How important is it to have an OLED TV which supports Dolby vision.

I could get the Philips 9002 OLED TV in my country for around ?1379, but it only haves HDR 10 while the LG C7 does support HDR 10 and Dolby vision. The only problem is it's almost ?300 euro's more expensive than the Philips OLED TV.

Is Dolby vision just a gimmick for now when non of the OLED tv's support 12 bit or is it that needed to have? Would you say rather get the cheapest OLED which is the Philips 9002 for ?1379 or get the LG C7 for around ?1650.

I know RTINGS says always buy the cheapest OLED TV because the picture quality is always the same mostly.

#4 ·
Most persons considering an oled would want their set to be able to display both formats

If the Phillips does not offer Dolby Vision as an option via future firmware update, I would only consider the
LG to purchase.

#5 ·
It's too bad Philips doesn't offer Dolby Vision on that model. In all of the past TVs I've seen that offer Dolby Vision, they start out with DV and add HDR10 later. Like what Vizio did with their line. I would suspect that Philips didn't license the Dolby tech and so you will be stuck with a standard that you may end up not having as much content for. I like the LG for that fact.

But, that Ambilight effect and the Pico projectors look pretty amazing. I tried to fit a Philips LED Hue strip on one of my TVs, so this 9002 is pretty interesting. I'd like to see it in person, too bad they don't offer it in the US.

This site seemed to do a pretty good write up and comes up with the LG as the pick, but it sounds like both are pretty amazing.

http://hdtelevizija.com/en/2017/10/...55pos9002-ultra-hd-oled-tv-comparison-review/

I would stick with the LG, though. Especially with the Technicolor and HLG standards getting added. They are doing a decent job future proofing the 2017 7 series of OLEDs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I think this person made a comment which people tend to ignore. dolby vision material is 12 bit, lg still uses 10 bit panels on oleds, you are not realizing the true potential of DV on a 10 bit panel even though lg can advertise it as an advantage over other competitors. we need 12 bit panels to truly see the amazing color that DV content can put up. It still looks good on current panels but it's not being realized to its potential.

#7 ·
But is it worth the 300 euro price difference between them, just to have Dolby Vision? Because even if a stream like Netflix broadcast series in Dolby vision it's still possible to see it in HDR 10. And yes LG doesn't support 12 so it feels like it's just an gimmick. Also for the person refering the the 4 formats, Philips does support HLG as well.

#8 ·
I wont say it's a gimmick because even on current panels, a movie encoded in DV as opposed to hdr10 looks better because of the dynamic metadata layer. a tv that doesn't support it will still show the static metadata layer like hdr10. it depends whether you have DV content to watch. these format wars are still not settled, Samsung and Panasonic are moving to hdr10+. You could check with Philips if dv would get a firmware update. if it's only a 300 euro difference, you may want to get dv for the sake of future proofing.

#9 ·
Actually given the LG panels are 10 bit, but can only do about 700 nit brightness, if the movie is encoded at 10 bit but for a range of 4000 or 10000 nit, then the bits within the range the TV can actually display is more like 8 bit. The 12 bit DV version on the other hand can have 12 bit range for 0 to 4000 nit, which means 0 to 1000 nit is 10 bit (top two bits zero) and matches much better to what the panel is capable of.

Also extra bits gives you more to work with while processing and scaling the video without getting serious rounding errors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.