POLISHING TURD: Steps To A Better NTSC (Cable/Sat) Image On Your Plasma... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 69 Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness
I suspect there is something else to blame for your poor picture, most likely the signal strength, or the quality of signal from your provider. (Or a problem with your picture settings).

Or even a case of expectations being set just a little too high for SD. I know when I went from a smaller sized display to a larger HDTV, sd looked terrible. I now think that a large part of that was due to lower quality signal blown up to a larger size. A high quality scaler could improve it some, but there are limits to what you can get out of SD.

I now appreciate a "bad" SD feed because it has the inate ability to make anything in HD look great. ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 09-15-2005, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Another suggestion might be to split the cable coming in from the wall (assuming it's not satellite) and use the TV's internal tuner for analog channels. I know I get a much better picture for analog channels by doing this, because my cable box is a Comcast HD-DVR and does not handle analog stations very well.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 69 Old 09-15-2005, 12:57 PM

So which plasma has the "best" scaler/deinterlacer?
post #64 of 69 Old 09-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

This looks like a good place to recommend a video amp for improved NTSC.

http://www.cabletvamps.com/faq.htm
post #65 of 69 Old 09-19-2005, 08:26 AM

Hi Rich,
I have a Th-42phd7uy with component for HD and trying composite for NTSC as another input with both are running from an SA HD DVR from Time Warner through my Onkyo SR-800. The component looks great for HD and not too bad for NTSC but I thought it could be better. The unit is wall mounted with HDMI (for future use since I need to buy a board for the plasma), component and composite. After reading your article was considering buying S-Video adaptors for the composite to see that makes a difference but now I'm even wondering if it's worth the trouble.
post #66 of 69 Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
another great thread Rich. JimSD- thanks for pointing out this URL to me.
post #67 of 69 Old 11-09-2005, 12:17 PM

NTS Cable signal is a major worry of mine before I buy a new plasma. What manufacturers and/or technologies should I look for ? For instance Phillips is pushing something they call "Pixel Plus" ( latest is Pixel Plus HD) while Hitachi and Toshiba are said to have good SD approaches. ANY THOUGHTS? Are there other threads whhich address this?
post #68 of 69 Old 02-23-2006, 01:38 AM

Just got the Panny 42" EDTV and an trying to optimize NTSC viewing. I just did a quick check and figured that between five TVs, four TiVos and two computers with Tuner cards, I've got my cable signal split at least 11 ways, using a combination of 1-to-2 and 1-to-3 splitters along the way. I have no idea how much this is degrading my signal. (Use analog cable straight from the wall with no boxes between cable and the tuners in the various TVs, TiVos, etc.)

What's the solution out of this mess? The signal looks fine on all but the 42" sets, but they are all relatively small. Since I'm new to 42" plasma, I don't really know what to expect and whether I should be getting a better signal than I am.

Would it help if cable to plasma was split directly off main line coming in, or will all the other branches in the house degrade signal regardless of where a specific unit is in the chain?

BS

TiVo is no BS

Currently enjoying:
103-Hr 2.0.1
30-Hr 2.0.1
post #69 of 69 Old 02-23-2006, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would definitely split the Main feed before the Plasma. This will optimize signal to it. What that will do however is further drop signal to the other sets downstream from the split so you will want to consider whether a 2-1 or 3-1 is best for your needs at the initial split.

Splits after the initial one will have no effect on the Plasma PQ. You may want to look into inline amps for some of the other sets cable feeds if their PQ is not up to par. Or you could use a larger amp upstream with multiple splits instead of one of your simple splitters.

As to signal PQ, are you experiencing a lot of noise, horizontal/vertical/diagonal lines, color field noise (shimmer/speckle), etc. with the other sets? If not then your signal may be fine. If you are to any noticeable degree, then expect to see more of it on the plasma. All you are doing with analog SD content is expanding analog problems into a larger screen size. Splitting the signal before further downstream degradation will be essential to you plasma PQ. I would think about upgrading your service. I know my wife intended for us to keep our analog cable service as is but one week of viewing it on our 42" ED convinced her otherwise. Digital Plus with HD is worth every penny. Piping it only to the plasma would shave costs and yield great results.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page