AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by mr pink
Little amusing thing this morning:

They were expecting my pdp to hit the NJ facility at 9am .. if it did The guy there said he would try to get it on the truck for today .. So i decided to call regular tracking just to see if it had hit NJ yet before I called the guy back at the NJ facility this AM.

So .. i wait on hold .. A nice lady gets on and I say "i want to track the status of a shipment" and she says, no joke "What are you waiting for a TV?"

We must be terrorizing the poor dhl/danzas reps.

- pink
Was that Elizabeth ? :D

Really nice lady. I spoke with Nelli (sp?) and Elizabeth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by PDPnNJ
I told the guy to pull all the way into my driveway (to be close to my basement entrance). Popped the basement door and the back of the truck was facing me. Between the delivery guy and I lifted this 100lbs package down 5 steps. The guy didn't want to help. I even asked him for a blade since my broke when I tried to break the steel wrap :o
He just gave me the slip and walked away. I wrote the same thing you did :D
Unpacking was fairly easy. TOO EASY. It was triple boxed and the boxes had not dents. I inserted the stand while the Panny was laying flat on my sofa then I lifted on top of my TV stand.
Sounds like we have a similar delivery experience. The guy did absolutely nothing but stand around and watch me. It was pretty odd, but I didn't mind since I was worried about how he might handle the box.

My box was also clean, without any dents, very nice. I was very impressed by the triple boxing. :) I did the same thing you did, layed it down on my couche while I screwed in the stand. I'm not ashamed to admit, I tried to screw the stand on from behind the unit. I sat there thinking "this is sooo odd, these screws don't sit, how does this thing stand up?" Then I looked more closely at the manual and saw that they monitor had the slots for the stand to go into. ;)

I haven't tried SD cable on it yet, I only hooked up our DVD player, which looks great. I need to figure out how to get SD cable and a switcher working. I have a switcher, but just realized last night that the component cables aren't like composite...it didn't cross my mind that they were RBG and not V/Audio/Audio. :) Way to go JR! So I need to figure out a way to be able to switch the component feed and the sound at the same time...sigh. Wish me luck!

Keep me posted on how the SD looks PDP. Pretty terrible? I keep warning my wife that it's going to look pretty bad once I get it set up, but I don't think she truly understands just how bad it may appear. I did see in this forum that you can have your cable company come test the signal strength of your SD cable. That might help.

-JR
-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #303 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceRocket

I haven't tried SD cable on it yet, I only hooked up our DVD player, which looks great. I need to figure out how to get SD cable and a switcher working. I have a switcher, but just realized last night that the component cables aren't like composite...it didn't cross my mind that they were RBG and not V/Audio/Audio. :) Way to go JR! So I need to figure out a way to be able to switch the component feed and the sound at the same time...sigh. Wish me luck!

Keep me posted on how the SD looks PDP. Pretty terrible? I keep warning my wife that it's going to look pretty bad once I get it set up, but I don't think she truly understands just how bad it may appear. I did see in this forum that you can have your cable company come test the signal strength of your SD cable. That might help.

-JR
-JR
To switch audio and video at the same time you either need a receiver that offers this and/or a programmable remote depending on your audio setup. I have a receiver that I use solely for audio switching. All my video goes directly to the panel (DVD-->D-sub component, satellite SD-->S-video, HD cable box-->BNC component). I use a Harmony 659 remote to coordinate switching video and audio at the same time. You can avoid this if you get a receiver with video switching output that you can associate with an audio output. My 3 video sources each use digital audio. So make sure the receiver can accomodate the right mix of audio and video outputs. Since I found an inepxensive receiver that took care of the audio I just left the video to the panel and my Harmony remote.

I have SD TV tuned well enough so it does not look bad at all. It can even fool you sometimes. The only obvious clue is the 4:3. The bars or the Just mode each are not optimal.

Bill
post #304 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Again, thanks for your incredible info Bill! Would you mind revealing what receiver you use? I might take a look into picking it up for myself! :)

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #305 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 10:12 AM

Liked: 12
Going from the Electrograph to the Panny I was quite happy with SD viewing. I noticed a big difference in the quality. So much so that my wife noticed and commented on it as well.
post #306 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Again, thanks for your incredible info Bill! Would you mind revealing what receiver you use? I might take a look into picking it up for myself! :)

-JR
I will be laughed off the forum if I reveal this, but here goes. I bought a Sherwood RD-7103 for $99 (Fry's Electronics here in CA). It has 2 coaxial and 1 optical digital input that it can switch among. Perfect for my audio needs. It only offers composite (oh maybe S-video too) switching. I don't use the video part at all, although it might be handy with multiple SDTV inputs. This el cheapo receiver works fine. It has 6 channel direct for use with the DVD-A and SACD output of my equally inexpensive Pio 563A DVD player, basic bass management, etc. The only thing I wish it had, which is generally only a high-end feature, is audio delay for all speakers to help with the occasional and not-so-occasional lip sync errors you will see with HDTV. It offers some speaker audio delay settings but they are not adequate for lip sync. If you want to switch component video, you will have to spend more money. I only have 2 component video sources, so I am OK.

Bill
post #307 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did the same thing you did, layed it down on my couche while I screwed in the stand. I'm not ashamed to admit, I tried to screw the stand on from behind the unit. I sat there thinking "this is sooo odd, these screws don't sit, how does this thing stand up?" Then I looked more closely at the manual and saw that they monitor had the slots for the stand to go into. ;)

-JR
-JR
I ordered the stand from BHPhoto at an awesome price last week and received right away. I was able to read over the manual on how the plasma was going to be installed. So Yes, I had some idea on how the stand was going to be hooked up so I looked for the holes in the plasma right away :D

I was going to lift the plasma on top of the stand and screw it that way but I was tired. I was lifting boxes (3 boxes !! ;) ) for the last 15 minutes. What a workout :p so I decided to go via the 'lay on the couch' routine. Actually, the instructions recommend the 'lay on the couch / comforter' routine for proper install or using 2 people for 'lay on top' routine.

Don't get wrong. After tweaking, SD looks as good as my other TVs but the problem is that once you see DVD and go back to SD the difference is way greater than when you do it in a normal non-digital CRT.

The shows are watchable but you don't get the WOW sensation as when viewing DVD. D* is also terrible. Cable is better. D* brings too much artifacts specially in local stations.
post #308 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 02:26 PM

Arrrgghhh... my Plasma has GONE MISSING !!!

The shippers have absolutely no idea where it is... On the website, it shows a nice track of the places it is supposed to have gone through, but now they tell me they have lost it and don't know if they even picked it up from the seller :rolleyes:

So close, yet so far... VENT !!!
post #309 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 08:22 PM

Called DHL this morning and they said the plane got in last night. Guy asked me if I wanted it delivered today or Monday - guess what I chose?

WHEW!! The wait is over and the plasma is hung. Perfect delivery, box looked great, I didn't have the guy wait for power up. I took the day off to work on this...

I have been living with the Akai from Costco for over a month now and have since upgraded to digital cable from Time Warner. I thought the picture was still crappy so the only thing I watched for the last few weeks were the HD stuff because it was all that I could stand. Now that the Panny is running same channels I have to be honest that the images are far superior is every format, analog, digital and HD cable source AND of course the the few DVD's I have watched since the installation is definately better.

now I can rest easy, the Akai is back at Costco and the extra $$ was well worth it...although I may consider VOOM since they are running free equipement and free installation promo.

I don't plan on doing any "my first impressions" since everyone knows of the quality of the Panny...let's just say that I am thankful I got one and that the Akai is no match - great Costco warranty didn't make up for bad picture.

Thanks everyone for all the help, can't wait to try some of the steaming rat tweaks and other stuff - I am sure to be back for various things...the addiction will always be there.
post #310 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 09:26 PM

I just got a panasonic TH-50PX20U/P and I need to sell it thinking of $6000 with stand and wall mount with about $150 in shipping. Should I or shouldn't I. It is brand new with no hours on it. Has warranty and receipt.
post #311 of 329 Old 03-05-2004, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

franz-man:

Congrats. I know how long you've been involved in the search and all the struggles with the Akai. Enjoy the new plasma.

Bill
post #312 of 329 Old 03-06-2004, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by franz-man
Called DHL this morning and they said the plane got in last night. Guy asked me if I wanted it delivered today or Monday - guess what I chose?

Calling them before they call you is the key here ;)
post #313 of 329 Old 03-06-2004, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 543
" It offers some speaker audio delay settings but they are not adequate for lip sync."

Speaker audio delay on receivers is the opposite of what is almost always needed to correct lipsync. The audio delay is usually to account for speaker distance and the "problem" needs "negative distances" to be solved.

Pricier equipment has some adjustable audio delay....

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #314 of 329 Old 03-06-2004, 02:12 PM

Quote:

-JR
JR,

Lots of receivers offer some sort of video switching. If you pass all your audio and video through one, it might simplify some of the remote controls you probably have lying around now. Just check out receiver specs.

I use a HK 330. It can switch up to 4 combined composite/S-video sources and 2 component sources. Unfortunately, since I'm using DVI for my DVD player, I'm still juggling remote controls.
post #315 of 329 Old 03-06-2004, 05:23 PM

Unbelievable, its now more than 36 hrs since my Panny has gone missing and still nobody knows where it is... I thought DHL had all these sophisticated tracking system - but it seems they are totally clueless and have agents from Seattle to Newark trying to find out what happen ! Arrrgghhh, and to think I had the weekend all reserved for getting the plasma mounted and set up :(

Pardon the vent, but this IS the thread for Venting...
post #316 of 329 Old 03-06-2004, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mschin
JR,

Lots of receivers offer some sort of video switching. If you pass all your audio and video through one, it might simplify some of the remote controls you probably have lying around now. Just check out receiver specs.

I use a HK 330. It can switch up to 4 combined composite/S-video sources and 2 component sources. Unfortunately, since I'm using DVI for my DVD player, I'm still juggling remote controls.
The only problem I see with this is you get all the video sources running into the same input on the plasma, which means you would have an issue creating appropriate pictures settings for each source. If your receiver can turn all your components on and off then you are all set. I use a Harmony 659 remote to turn everything on and of and switch to the right audio and video input. It works well. I'd rather not use an external video switch unless I was out of inputs, although I don't think there is any real signal deterioration from doing it.

Bill
post #317 of 329 Old 03-07-2004, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Ball
I'd rather not use an external video switch unless I was out of inputs, although I don't think there is any real signal deterioration from doing it.
This would depend, of course, on your switch. I noticed a clear deterioration when switching composite and S-video through a Denon AVR-1803 receiver (blacks got quite noisy). Granted, I didn't try switching component, as the 1803 doesn't have the bandwidth for HD. I'm now running all my signals straight to the panel, including the composite stuff.

Probably less of an issue with a better receiver or a passive switch, but you need to be aware.

Sami

Why buy one when you can have two for twice the price?
post #318 of 329 Old 03-08-2004, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sam123
This would depend, of course, on your switch. I noticed a clear deterioration when switching composite and S-video through a Denon AVR-1803 receiver (blacks got quite noisy). Granted, I didn't try switching component, as the 1803 doesn't have the bandwidth for HD. I'm now running all my signals straight to the panel, including the composite stuff.

Probably less of an issue with a better receiver or a passive switch, but you need to be aware.

Sami
I should have had "necessarily" in that sentence.

Bill
post #319 of 329 Old 03-09-2004, 01:07 PM

I just received notice that B&h Photo have the 42" ED model in stock.
post #320 of 329 Old 03-09-2004, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Yolk...what's the word on your missing plasma?

Bill and Sam, thanks for the information. I was actually looking at a AVR1604. Sounds like if I get that receiver, I won't be able to adapt my picture settings to each source (DVD/Xbox/SD cable). Hmm...I have to find a solution, and an affordable one! :)

Sam, guessing by the model number (I don't know much about receivers), yours is at least step above the one I'm looking at. I'm guessing that would mean I would have some signal deterioration as well.

Ahh...this is all so complicated for a newcomer to A/V like myself!! :D I think I need to take a step back, look at the inputs on my panny again, and see what solutions I can come up with! :)

-JR

post #321 of 329 Old 03-09-2004, 03:54 PM

All,

My 42wd6UY came yesterday! I never really had to vent, but I watched this thread and it help me know when to buy from VA.

So far I love it. Still getting things setup. I will post some pictures soon.
Thanks to all of you for the help so far.

JR: I have same as you XBOX, DVD, SB Cable. DVD and XBOX on component input switch from AVR-2803. So far XBOX looks fine with DVD settings. If I start playing XBOX more I might have to get a blade for input1 and sent XBOX in that way. I am using VGA for computer input right now.

VJ
post #322 of 329 Old 03-09-2004, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Sam, guessing by the model number (I don't know much about receivers), yours is at least step above the one I'm looking at. I'm guessing that would mean I would have some signal deterioration as well.
The 1803 is a couple of years old, the 1604 is practically identical on the spec sheet. I'd expect the 1604 to be roughly similar in capability. If possible try to see the switching quality first on your panel if you can, you may be less picky than I am! ;)

Quote:
I think I need to take a step back, look at the inputs on my panny again, and see what solutions I can come up with! :)
As was mentioned in another thread, the 1604 doesn't convert between input types, and you'd want to adjust the Panny input PQ settings per source system anyway.

I think the bottom line from me would be: try to put all high-quality video sources straight to panel (DVD component-to-component-BNC-input, xbox component-to-component-PC-input), just get a RCA-to-VGA component cable from anywhere (e.g. Blue Jean Cable). If the VCR is the only other source, you can put that straight to the panel, too (either composite or S-video). If you have other low-quality sources (cable STB, etc.) you can then run VCR and those through the receiver; even if there's a small noise increase who cares with SD NTSC, it's garbage-in-garbage-out ;)

All audio will just plug straight to the AVR1604: DVD and Xbox through SPDIF/Toslink to optical inputs (there's 3 and they're assignable) , VCR to analog RCAs.

Should work fine, you're not switching any HQ video, and you still have one empty slot in the panel for a future input card (I just got the DVI blade to connect my HD STB, looks great).

Sami

post #323 of 329 Old 03-09-2004, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sam123
[b]The 1803 is a couple of years old, the 1604 is practically identical on the spec sheet. I'd expect the 1604 to be roughly similar in capability. If possible try to see the switching quality first on your panel if you can, you may be less picky than I am! ;)

As was mentioned in another thread, the 1604 doesn't convert between input types, and you'd want to adjust the Panny input PQ settings per source system anyway.

I think the bottom line from me would be: try to put all high-quality video sources straight to panel (DVD component-to-component-BNC-input, xbox component-to-component-PC-input), just get a RCA-to-VGA component cable from anywhere (e.g. Blue Jean Cable). If the VCR is the only other source, you can put that straight to the panel, too (either composite or S-video). If you have other low-quality sources (cable STB, etc.) you can then run VCR and those through the receiver; even if there's a small noise increase who cares with SD NTSC, it's garbage-in-garbage-out ;)

All audio will just plug straight to the AVR1604: DVD and Xbox through SPDIF/Toslink to optical inputs (there's 3 and they're assignable) , VCR to analog RCAs.

Should work fine, you're not switching any HQ video, and you still have one empty slot in the panel for a future input card (I just got the DVI blade to connect my HD STB, looks great).

Sami
I'm with sami. With most AV receivers you're still going to need to use the Panny remote to turn on the panel and switch inputs. Maybe there is a AV receiver remote that could control the Panny plasma, but I'm not aware of one. Also, you'd need to control your DVD player. Hence, there is no advantage to have the AV receiver do video switching unless you are short inputs on the panel, especially with the concern about signal degradation. So, I use the receiver for audio only and a programmable remote to appropriately switch things on and off and switch among video and audio sources, as I have mentioned before. It works almost flawlessly (once in a while the remote gets out of sync) and takes me from 5 remotes to one. The receiver is essential for audio switching as I had no other way to do this. For video the Panny is OK on its own.

Bill
post #324 of 329 Old 03-10-2004, 06:38 AM

Hey Juice, Thanks for the concern. Believe it or not, after more than 3 days of everybody trying frantically to find out where it is, the plasma just turned up at my door. Out of the blues, the local delivery company called me to say that the truck was outside my house and if anyone was home. Obviously no one was at home since no one was expecting delivery (they had promised to call me and deliver it anytime I wanted once they found the plasma). I was given the option of them bringing it back to the depot and arranging another delivery or me rushing home in the middle of the day to sign for it. Guess what I did. :D

Anyway after all that ordeal, I finally got my plasma and mounted it on my Peerless tilt mount last night... now, can someone re-assure me that the Plasma won't be falling off the wall anytime soon ???
post #325 of 329 Old 03-10-2004, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yolk
Anyway after all that ordeal, I finally got my plasma and mounted it on my Peerless tilt mount last night... now, can someone re-assure me that the Plasma won't be falling off the wall anytime soon ???
Haha, I had the same concern and I have a table stand! I set it up, then kept fearing I'd wake up to the sound of the thing randomly tipping over and destroying itself in the middle of the night. :)

Gotta love it when the delivery people show up out of the blue!

Bill/Sam, in another thread someone showed me this item:

http://www.audioauthority.com/aaccon.../1154detc.html

I'm going to check it out...but it sounds like the best bet is to really have all the input going directly into the TV as you both suggested.

-JR

post #326 of 329 Old 03-10-2004, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

That switch looks nice. If I get another component output source, I'll need it.

Bill
post #327 of 329 Old 03-10-2004, 03:53 PM

Something just struck me, I did not get the serial number of the unit before I mounted it on the wall. Can the serial number be found anywhere else other than the back of the Plasma? Reason is that I have been advised that there is no warranty card included in the package (even though the manual suggests there is one) and that if there is ever a need to get the Panasonic warranty service (touch wood), I need the serial...
post #328 of 329 Old 03-10-2004, 04:38 PM

Speaking of unpacking. This might be a dumb question, but...

Should I keep the box or boxes? I do not plan on going anywhere soon. and I do not want lots of cardboard around. Do I need them?
post #329 of 329 Old 03-10-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCane
Should I keep the box or boxes? I do not plan on going anywhere soon. and I do not want lots of cardboard around. Do I need them?
Since the commercial models don't have in-home service, I kept my box just in case I need to send it in. I don't have space for it at home, but I found storage space I could use at work.

Sami

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page