Panny on backorder? Vent here... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 329 Old 02-17-2004, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well, just minutes ago, i was rudely interrupted by the delivery man with my display 37pwd6uy. geez. what nerve. ;)

it's here, still in the box. there was a hole in the box, but it was facing the back of the display. we took the display out and checked for cracks - none visible (i.e. no big crack running from corner to corner).

hopefully, all will be well. i'm going to run some serious "tests" :) on it tonight to make sure all's well.

it's funny, now that it's here, i just want to leave it in the box.

btw, no double/triple boxing. no indicators. not one. just one noticable hole.

so, i'll post a followup (for those who are concerned about shipping damage) once i mount the thing and power it on.

is someone on this list from the bay area who is receiving a 42" panny tonight? they had one more display in the truck for delivery after mine. pm me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 329 Old 02-17-2004, 10:57 PM

Hey folks,

I've been on the Panny waiting list from AV for about two weeks now. Still got lots of time, but when it eventually arrives, what's the proper procedure? I live in an apartment building, so should I just tear the thing open in the lobby and inspect for visual damage? I don't know if the shipping dudes will want to hang around for me to bring it upstairs and plug it in (although a nice tip would probably help). What's the general consensus on this sort of thing?

Also, I read somewhere on this forum that the Panny DVI card comes with a DVI cord. If so, is that thing of decent quality? I haven't ordered it yet, so I'm wondering if I should get a cable too.

Thanks and good luck!
post #183 of 329 Old 02-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Before signing the delivery receipt, at a minimum, I'd open the box and check for cracks on the glass or dents on the enclosure/bezel. Then I'd pop 2 AA batteries in the remote and plug it in. If you are pressed for time (because of the delivery person), at least plug it in and turn it on. You can do a screen saver which will wipe the screen w/ a white bar. That can give you an idea if there are any major cracks. The downside is that if it's still standing on the inner box and pallet, you may have trouble seeing the bottom part of the screen.

Only after all this is OK would I sign for it.
post #184 of 329 Old 02-17-2004, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mschin
Hey folks,

procedure? I live in an apartment building, so should I just tear the thing open in the lobby and inspect for visual damage? I don't know if the shipping dudes will want to hang around for me to bring it upstairs and plug it in (although a nice tip would probably help). What's the general consensus on this sort of thing?
they're not supposed to bring it inside the building otherwise it's considered an inside delivery/whatever.

however, it depends on the folks delivering it. they're just as curious as you are. so if you're nice to them, they'll bring it in, bs with you a bit and help you unpack the thing to inspect the unit.
post #185 of 329 Old 02-18-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by prjoseph
You are right. The PA20U comes with a host of front and rear inputs including DVI, table stand, Speakers. The 6UY only has one component input. When you add the same components to the 6Uy the gap in price is not that huge. The PA20U was my first choice but it was on backorder. I got tired of waiting but I prefer the plain picture frame look of the 6UY and I intended to wall mount the unit anyway using my own speakers.
I just ordered a 42PA20U. Most stores have a 3-week to 6-week wait. The Monitor Outlet gave me the shortest wait - 1 week. Since a few people here are really happy with The Monitor Outlet, I placed the order with them. I hope their ETA is accurate.
post #186 of 329 Old 02-19-2004, 05:34 PM

I placed my order yesterday from monitor outlet for the Pany, it still said In Stock. But I found out today that I would have to wait at least till Tuesday for a unit to ship. There site now says Pre Order. So, I emailed Ourstore and asked them if they had one in stock. They wrote back in 10 minutes and yes the did have some in stock.

So, I placed my order online, within an hour I was contacted by Tara that the Panny would ship today an provided me with my tracking number. It will be arriving next week. The guys at Monitor Outlet were nice too and understood when I cancelled my order with them.
post #187 of 329 Old 02-19-2004, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
For me the waiting game for the ever elusive pwd6uy continues. mrpjc, no snide remarks! ;) heh

I'm still on a waiting list at VA, I called today and they told me they were to receive shipment between the 27th-29th, and then they'd give me a call.

My wife decided to finally call Monitor Outlet, and they are ju stlike mantelli said, in their pre-order phase. They told us they'd give us a call on Tuesday.

So far a few people here have only had positive things to say about ourstore, and outstore seems to be the only place in stock. Time to make a phone call to ourstore?

-JR
post #188 of 329 Old 02-19-2004, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceRocket
For me the waiting game for the ever elusive pwd6uy continues.
Noooo!!! I was hoping you'd finally have some good news about your current plasma-less situation.

Dang, Juice, I'm beginning to think you're just jinxed .;)
post #189 of 329 Old 02-19-2004, 07:44 PM

Quote:
For me the waiting game for the ever elusive pwd6uy continues. mrpjc, no snide remarks! ;) heh

-JR
man, and to think that _you_ were the one who recommended that i check out ourstore (they had none when i called and no eta). a few hours later i recheck this thread and brian348782734 mentioned the outlet. i call that day, place the order and within 4 business days, i have the plasma. it's hanging on my wall already.

hang in there. or call every place you can until you get someone to ship the thing within 24 hours.
post #190 of 329 Old 02-19-2004, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
lol, thanks deann, thanks somadave!

I swear, when I get this unit I will be soooo happy! :) I'll probably even treat it to birthdays, give it presents, bake it cakes, the whole deal! :D

-JR
post #191 of 329 Old 02-19-2004, 08:58 PM

My wait is over. I pre-ordered the 42PWD6UY from VA almost 5 weeks ago. I was told at that time that the estimated ship date was Feb 27th. I got a call from VA on Feb 12th saying they had received my set and were checking to make sure I still wanted it. I confirmed that I did. It shipped out on Friday the 13th. I checked with the freight company (DHL) on Tuesday the 17th, and they said it was appriximately a 5-7 day truck shipment and the set was scheduled to deliver on Friday the 20th or Monday the 22nd. I got a call on Wednesday the 18th from an air freight company. They said my set was in town and was ready for delivery. I quess at some point it was switched from a truck shipment to an air shipment. I scheduled the delivery for today, Thursday the 19th.

I was pleasantly surprised that the set became available 2 weeks earlier than VA originally estimated and the time in transit (to me) was shorter than expected.

The set arrived and appears to be in perfect condition. It is now connected and mounted on the wall. The majority of my viewing is SD from Directv. I chose this set hoping it would give an acceptable picture for SD programming. I am happy to report that the SD picture looks good to very good, depending on the channel. The worst channels on Directv (with the most compression) still look good and the best channels (least compression) look very good. Currently using S-video from the Directv receiver to the Panny for SD signals. I intend to try composite to see if I can see any difference. DVD and HD are great as expected. Black levels and shadow detail are great, just as I had read (on this forum) they would be. I have only spent a couple of hours watching and playing with the pictured settings, but right now I feel that this set is exactly what I was looking for.

For everyone else that is still waiting, don't give up. The 42PWD6UY is definitely worth the wait.

Blankman
post #192 of 329 Old 02-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-JR

http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Whistle2.gif

LOL.....

"BEER BREAK!!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

X360 GT = AMissionaryMan
post #193 of 329 Old 02-20-2004, 06:54 AM

I just got my Panny TH-42PWD6UY, which I ordered on 10/29 --- it came strapped to a pallett, and in a sealed box, and it so remains sealed (interestingly enough, it just appeared one day from Eagle, no advance call from them)

Only problem is that I had no paitence with the wait, and bought a Hatachi in the mean time. I thus do need the TH-42PWD6UY any longer (and my Wife is completely sure that I no longer need it)

Rather than sending it back to Dell, I am offering it to anyone in the NYC Metro Area who is interested and/or still waiting for theirs.

In keeping with forum rules, I cannot discuss the price I paid, other than to say it was at the lower end of the "deal" that dell was offering, and I was able to stack 2 different discount coupons. Further, I am not looking to make much of a profit on the deal, only to see the set go to another local member rather than to go back to Dell.

If anyone is interested (on a cash in exchange for screen basis --- I do not want to ship it anywhere, nor do I want to take a check), please PM me.
post #194 of 329 Old 02-20-2004, 07:42 AM

Liked: 13
YOU GOT PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I"M in BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally posted by GreatNeckLawyer
I just got my Panny TH-42PWD6UY, which I ordered on 10/29 --- it came strapped to a pallett, and in a sealed box, and it so remains sealed (interestingly enough, it just appeared one day from Eagle, no advance call from them)

Only problem is that I had no paitence with the wait, and bought a Hatachi in the mean time. I thus do need the TH-42PWD6UY any longer (and my Wife is completely sure that I no longer need it)

Rather than sending it back to Dell, I am offering it to anyone in the NYC Metro Area who is interested and/or still waiting for theirs.

In keeping with forum rules, I cannot discuss the price I paid, other than to say it was at the lower end of the "deal" that dell was offering, and I was able to stack 2 different discount coupons. Further, I am not looking to make much of a profit on the deal, only to see the set go to another local member rather than to go back to Dell.

If anyone is interested (on a cash in exchange for screen basis --- I do not want to ship it anywhere, nor do I want to take a check), please PM me.
post #195 of 329 Old 02-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blankman
I intend to try composite to see if I can see any difference.
Blankman, please do so and report to us here. Composite vs. S-video for SD is an issue I'll soon be facing (my set is scheduled to arrive from VA on Tuesday).
post #196 of 329 Old 02-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

well, it seems to have made a difference, for the better, for me.

that is, downgrading from using my s-vid, and using composite for my SD channels.

"BEER BREAK!!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

X360 GT = AMissionaryMan
post #197 of 329 Old 02-20-2004, 09:42 AM

Liked: 12
I had the same experience with composite. The s-video seemed to be noisier. Using composite smoothed out the picture. Not too much that it was smeared looking though.
post #198 of 329 Old 02-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

That's great news, guys, and I hope it works out this way with me also. Because my S-video connection will already be taken by my DVD recorder (Panny DMR-E30).
post #199 of 329 Old 02-21-2004, 06:22 AM

Last Saturday I put myself on the Visual Apex waiting list for a TH-42PWD6UY. On Monday I noticed, thanks to this thread, that ourstore.com had the model in stock. I canceled my order with VA and re-ordered with ourstore.com on-line Monday evening. I received order confirmation via email from an ourstore.com sales agent on Tuesday morning, and...

the unit arrived on Friday at 1:00pm!

3 days must be a record. :-)

The shipment was through AIT Worldwide who did a great job, except that the driver forgot to make the 1/2 hour pre-delivery call. He was prepared to wait in my driveway to pay for his mistake, though.

The unit (along with desk mount and speakers) arrived in great shape and everything was up and working by Friday evening. I couldn't have been happier with the service I received from ourstore.com and AIT Worldwide.
post #200 of 329 Old 02-21-2004, 08:04 AM

CTL in Maryland and CDW have good prices on TY-ST05K stands.
post #201 of 329 Old 02-21-2004, 10:17 AM

Liked: 13
got mu panny 42pwd. thanks GreatNeckLawyer

now off to hooking stuff up.

Quick q?
i got prog scan DVD with rbg out (some cheap brand from Radio shak)
cablevision Digital cable box (not HD) regular red white yellow out
ps2 regular red white yellow out

i have RBG cable and BNC adapters

also since there is no speackers on tv all audio will go to my stereo system.

how should i connect?
post #202 of 329 Old 02-21-2004, 01:38 PM
ICU

Still waiting for my Panny!! Ugh!!

Ordered from PC Last Friday, shipped (supposidly) on Tuesday, Thursday AIT Worldwide says the panel is still in seattle won't get it till next tuesday, truck will get into LA this weekend, 7 days total (maybe). I live in Los Angeles and have heard of others who ordered from various vendors all shipping out of Seattle and getting their units in 2-3 days(prob by air)! sometimes overnight.

Anybody have any theories on why it should take so long to ship this puppy? It takes about this long to go cross country and I'm only a couple states away!

Did AIT screw up or did PC skimp on the type of shipping? What does the 200 bucks pay for? AIR or Truck? Perhaps I should have just stuck with my back-order with VA?

Still anxiously waiting for my Panny!

T
post #203 of 329 Old 02-21-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ICU
Still waiting for my Panny!! Ugh!!

Ordered from PC Last Friday, shipped (supposidly) on Tuesday, Thursday AIT Worldwide says the panel is still in seattle won't get it till next tuesday, truck will get into LA this weekend, 7 days total (maybe). I live in Los Angeles and have heard of others who ordered from various vendors all shipping out of Seattle and getting their units in 2-3 days(prob by air)! sometimes overnight.

Anybody have any theories on why it should take so long to ship this puppy? It takes about this long to go cross country and I'm only a couple states away!

Did AIT screw up or did PC skimp on the type of shipping? What does the 200 bucks pay for? AIR or Truck? Perhaps I should have just stuck with my back-order with VA?

Still anxiously waiting for my Panny!

T
The shipping was for 3-5 business days. Since we both ordered on Friday evening, the orders don't count until Monday when PC opens. Unfortunately, Monday was also a national holiday and thus doesn't count as a business day and AIT didn't pick-up the Monitors until Tuesday because of this. Now that the monitors are in the hands of the shipping carrier, they have 5 business days to make the shipment which is TUESDAY. AIT now has the option to beat the 5 business day but, in the shipping business, this is not always the case. As different items of cargo need to move about the region with different priorities, SOMETIMES your item gets bumped from moving in shipment due to various logistical problems. I say this because I have my own shipping business and know how much a problem shipping things can be.

Let's say I have some cargo that has to go to Atlanta. Maybe I have three days to get it there. I could have this stuff there the next day, but it is sometimes more economically beneficial for me to arrange for more freight to return to Charleston and thus I use the extra days to arrange for this to happen. Maybe, I have more freight than trucks so your item, which has time available, takes a back-burner to more time sensitive freight. Sometimes, I use the time to increase the amount of freight in the truck headed to Atlanta instead of going with a partial load. I use these as examples of why, sometimes, we don't receive our items earlier than the maximum time allowed. Yeah, I know it sucks, but that is the nature of the beast. Don't blame Plasma Concepts, blame the Logistics nightmare.
post #204 of 329 Old 02-21-2004, 03:09 PM
ICU

Hammer,

Thanks for the clarification!:D I guess my anxiousness is getting to me!!

Sorry to PC if I sounded harsh! I'm glad that I'm getting one next week for sure!!!

Like the old S&L skit, use Einstein Express, when it absolutely positively had to be their yesterday!

T:)
post #205 of 329 Old 02-23-2004, 04:42 PM

Wooooo Hoooo! My 42PWD6uy showed up a day early today. Everything works and HDTV looks awesome on it. Still trying to calibrate to my taste though. The one bad thing though is I watch alot of FOX shows and that channel is the worst analog channel here on Comcast at the moment and it even looked grainy on my 27" CRT. Now, It looks like total dog doo doo on the big 42" screen. I wish Comcast would get it converted to at least SD digital so it isn't so nasty looking. Other than that, everything seems great so far.

Hey ICU, did yours arrive today?

Hammer
post #206 of 329 Old 02-23-2004, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
You can try running a composite or S-Video cable from the Comcast box (if it's a Motorola, all outputs are active at the same time) and watch that input for the analog stations. It should soften some of the picture noise. That's what I'm currently doing.
post #207 of 329 Old 02-23-2004, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deeann
You can try running a composite or S-Video cable from the Comcast box (if it's a Motorola, all outputs are active at the same time) and watch that input for the analog stations. It should soften some of the picture noise. That's what I'm currently doing.
Yeah, my complaint I made was already with S-video. I'm gonna try composite after I situate my new shelves and buy the composite cables. What is bad, is that I use my ReplayTV very much and the bad channels don't get any help from being recorded on the DVR (i record in high quality). I have complained to Comcast about their poor Analog quality but they don't do squat. I think they are just waiting until they are mandated to have to have 100% digital. Jeez, Comcast has all this money to try a hostile take over of Disney, maybe they ought to use it to get 100% digital up and running instead.

Hammer
post #208 of 329 Old 02-23-2004, 06:01 PM
ICU

Quote:
Originally posted by TheHammer69
Wooooo Hoooo! My 42PWD6uy showed up a day early today. Everything works and HDTV looks awesome on it. Still trying to calibrate to my taste though. The one bad thing though is I watch alot of FOX shows and that channel is the worst analog channel here on Comcast at the moment and it even looked grainy on my 27" CRT. Now, It looks like total dog doo doo on the big 42" screen. I wish Comcast would get it converted to at least SD digital so it isn't so nasty looking. Other than that, everything seems great so far.

Hey ICU, did yours arrive today?

Hammer

:( :confused: :mad:

Hammer,
Nope! local shipper says AIT has yet to send it to them!! Ugh!!! Maybe tommorrow!!! Time to reschedule my life around delivery of this plasma again! I hope all this wait and frustration is worth it! To think Aric called me initially on monday to reassure me that I ordered the plasma and due to the short distance between seattle and LA I should expect it really quick!! and got my hopes up!! UGH!!!!!!!:( :(

When it does ever arrive my understanding is to remove the outer box, look for any cracks in the outer and inner glass and any damage to the outer plastics. anything else to be aware of and what to look for when I turn it on??

thanks

T
post #209 of 329 Old 02-23-2004, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheHammer69
Yeah, my complaint I made was already with S-video. I'm gonna try composite after I situate my new shelves and buy the composite cables. What is bad, is that I use my ReplayTV very much and the bad channels don't get any help from being recorded on the DVR (i record in high quality). I have complained to Comcast about their poor Analog quality but they don't do squat. I think they are just waiting until they are mandated to have to have 100% digital. Jeez, Comcast has all this money to try a hostile take over of Disney, maybe they ought to use it to get 100% digital up and running instead.

Hammer
Is there a federally mandated timeline on cable companies to go 100% digital?
post #210 of 329 Old 02-23-2004, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ICU
:( :confused: :mad:

Hammer,
Nope! local shipper says AIT has yet to send it to them!! Ugh!!! Maybe tommorrow!!! Time to reschedule my life around delivery of this plasma again! I hope all this wait and frustration is worth it! To think Aric called me initially on monday to reassure me that I ordered the plasma and due to the short distance between seattle and LA I should expect it really quick!! and got my hopes up!! UGH!!!!!!!:( :(

When it does ever arrive my understanding is to remove the outer box, look for any cracks in the outer and inner glass and any damage to the outer plastics. anything else to be aware of and what to look for when I turn it on??

thanks

T
It probably will show tomorrow. If not, I would call PC and have them arrange for a discount refund on some of the shipping cost due to late shipment by the carrier.

When it arrives, inspect the outer box for any damage that looks as if it could have continued through to the PDP. If there is bad trauma to the shipping box, you have a right to closer inspection of the PDP with the carrier's agent present. If the agent refuses to give the time to inspect, sign the Bill of Lading "Damaged, Refused Delivery." If no obvious sign of damage, you have 48 hours to fully inspect the PDP itself for any damage not visible from outside. Look closely at the glass to make sure there are no interior glass breakage as well. That is about it.

Hammer
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page