Taurus has a good point here........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 945 Old 04-13-2004, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony 17" widescreen LCD which runs at a native resolution of 1280x768. I have no problem piping in a high def signal through the component input. By default the signal fills the entire screen, but there is an option to force 1:1 pixel mapping, resulting in small bars on the top and bottom. I would assume there would be a similar option with the Syntax, but can't be sure. Honestly, the difference between the two is negligible either way.
post #183 of 945 Old 04-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marchristensen
[B Now I cannot find one I am happy with.

Wide looks like a zoom mode. It shows the least distortion, but it cuts off almost 25% of the bottom of the screen. [/b]
It's really simple:

4:3 source -- use 4:3 Mode. There is no law that says you must zoom.

With letterbox 4:3 broadcasts, use ZOOM since the 25% it cuts off will be the letterbox bars.

What is missing is a ZOOM+SCROLL-UP. Many letterboxed films on TV have the text in the lower bar. One would like a small zoom -- about half of the Zoom -- and a scroll-up so only the lower bar is visible with text.

1) Can you do this?

2) When you PIP video inside PC input, what audio input do you hear?

By the way, some cable systems send analog siganals over the cable for 2-13, but when you use a digital cable box, the box choose a digital version of 2-13. When you hook cable to a TV, you get the analog versions which look either worse or better. When TWC first supplied digital cable, the digital versions were horrible as they were highly compressed. Then, they fixed this. So keep these differences in mind.
post #184 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by TauRus
Bishamon,
It might be just me, but I was actually more confused by the response from Syntax. In your original email you wrote that you "would prefer 1:1 pixel mapping, even with the small black bars". So, it told me that when you said 1:1 pixel mapping you meant that LCD would display the movie in 1280x720 format leaving the small bars. Ok. But in their response they said that Syntax "Does support 1280x768. No bars on DVI or VGA 1:1 pixel mapping". So, it looks like they meant that 1280x720 material will always show full screen, that is 1280x768. Did I misread their letter?
I felt exactly the same way with their response. I don't have much faith in their knowledge of their own products, since the manual I have contradicts the email I received, and even their web site seems confused as to the native resolution of the 27" model.

I decided to just wait for the Viewsonic N3020W, even though it costs a LOT more.
post #185 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by viggster
Has anybody who ordered on April 7th or later gotten their unit shipped yet? Maybe they had a first batch in the warehouse and now we wait for the slow boat from Taiwan.....
Interesting ...
When I ordered on 4/5 the estimated delivery time was 10-15 business days.

Now the site shows 7-10 business days from time of order (3-6 by Express UPS Air).

Sadly, mine has not yet shipped, and I'd guess you are behind me ;-)

-Jim
post #186 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bishamon
I felt exactly the same way with their response. I don't have much faith in their knowledge of their own products, since the manual I have contradicts the email I received, and even their web site seems confused as to the native resolution of the 27" model.

I decided to just wait for the Viewsonic N3020W, even though it costs a LOT more.
Bishamon, I looked at the Viewsonic N3020W specs and was quite puzzled by your decision. In many aspects this Viewsonic is similar to Syntax or Sceptre (same resolution, response time, almost same inputs/outputs, etc). Supposedly, it has inferior contrast ratio (Viewsonic CR is 500 vs 600 on Sceptre vs 750 on Syntax; at least on paper, we know that real life performance can be quite different). The only few advantages that I could see were:
- more powerful onboard audio (2x10W vs 2x8W on Sceptre for example);
- front panel headphone jack;
- lesser weight.
None of these advantages seem to be too important to me at least, since audio wise I guess most of us will be using external audio system anyway. So, what makes you want to pay almost 75% more for this display? Just curious :) Did I miss any important advantage?

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #187 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Bishamon, I looked at the Viewsonic N3020W specs and was quite puzzled by your decision. In many aspects this Viewsonic is similar to Syntax or Sceptre (same resolution, response time, almost same inputs/outputs, etc). Supposedly, it has inferior contrast ratio (Viewsonic CR is 500 vs 600 on Sceptre vs 750 on Syntax; at least on paper, we know that real life performance can be quite different). The only few advantages that I could see were:
- more powerful onboard audio (2x10W vs 2x8W on Sceptre for example);
- front panel headphone jack;
- lesser weight.
None of these advantages seem to be too important to me at least, since audio wise I guess most of us will be using external audio system anyway. So, what makes you want to pay almost 75% more for this display? Just curious :) Did I miss any important advantage?
To me, the biggest advantage is reputation. Having sold Viewsonic displays (among others) for many years, I have found them to be extremely reliable and well made. Also, the N3020W has more aspect ratio options than the Syntax.

IMO, there are two tiers of brands to consider. The upper tier includes Sharp, LG, Viewsonic, BenQ, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony (yes, even Sony), etc. The lower tier is made of up lesser brands, such as Syntax, Norcent, Albatron/Monivision, and Sceptre. Still, despite the lack of confidence I have in its quality, I was still considering the 30" Syntax because it is SOOOO inexpensive, but their apparent inability to provide a clear picture (no pun intended ;)) on how the display functions with regards to resolution has left me with little choice. I don't much want to buy a display I'll feel compelled to replace in two months' time.
post #188 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 12:47 PM

I have a Maxent MX-27X1 from Costco I am evaluating. When Cablevision gets IO installed I'll pass along the hdtv evaluation. The analog pic and DVD looks fine, although certainly poor compared to my Samsung HLM 50. Meanwhile note that the 'response time' is not 16 MS as reported but rather 25 MS. The box is labeled 25 MS and I have an email reply from Maxent confirming that.
Update, Now set up with hd via CV IO service - via component. For the net of $1800 [msrp after 200 rebate] this is an excellent value. The pq is comparable to my sony crt it is replacing and the details of the engineering are fine. I am happy with the available controls [calibrated it with AVIA].
As always with Costo, I will keep this until Costco comes along with a better choice that will fit in this space. Iam using a remote speaker system to allow a fit to cabinet.
I do not have a rez match nt with my laptop [1280X720 vs 1280x768] so dvi doesnt look anywhere near what it could. When CV finally gets to enabling the SA4200HD dvi port hopefully that will allow hd at native rez.
Biggest problem: no match of Maxent IR remote code for my 4200 remote.
Any ihelp appreciated. ...RBS
post #189 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bishamon
To me, the biggest advantage is reputation. Having sold Viewsonic displays (among others) for many years, I have found them to be extremely reliable and well made. Also, the N3020W has more aspect ratio options than the Syntax.

IMO, there are two tiers of brands to consider. The upper tier includes Sharp, LG, Viewsonic, BenQ, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony (yes, even Sony), etc. The lower tier is made of up lesser brands, such as Syntax, Norcent, Albatron/Monivision, and Sceptre. Still, despite the lack of confidence I have in its quality, I was still considering the 30" Syntax because it is SOOOO inexpensive, but their apparent inability to provide a clear picture (no pun intended ;)) on how the display functions with regards to resolution has left me with little choice. I don't much want to buy a display I'll feel compelled to replace in two months' time.
Ok, Bishamon, I see your point, and it is very legitimate. One note though - Sceptre, though not as well known in masses, is quite an old US company. They were in display business perhaps as long if not more than Viewsonic, but their primary target was industrial/military/government market, not so much consumer. So, I wouldnt rank them on the same level as let's say Norcent, Maxent and a few more new insurgents from Asia.
:) Wish you luck though with ViewSonic, they indeed improved significantly in the last couple of years.

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #190 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok, Bishamon, I see your point, and it is very legitimate. One note though - Sceptre, though not as well known in masses, is quite an old US company. They were in display business perhaps as long if not more than Viewsonic, but their primary target was industrial/military/government market, not so much consumer. So, I wouldnt rank them on the same level as let's say Norcent, Maxent and a few more new insurgents from Asia.
:) Wish you luck though with ViewSonic, they indeed improved significantly in the last couple of years.
I actually would have ordered the Sceptre, mostly due to Costco's excellent return policy, if they would only ship to Canada. :(

Hopefully the Viewsonic will arrive shortly and I can compare it to my Sammy HLM437W DLP set.
post #191 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 04:05 PM

Pyedog- Well, mine shipped from Calilf. today! Yours?

Will get it in a week or so....on the pony express to DC.
post #192 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pyedog
Interesting ...
When I ordered on 4/5 the estimated delivery time was 10-15 business days.

Now the site shows 7-10 business days from time of order (3-6 by Express UPS Air).

Sadly, mine has not yet shipped, and I'd guess you are behind me ;-)

-Jim
I ordered my Secptre from Costco on the 12th at 5.45 PM PST and it shipped today...
The estimated delivery date is 4/17/2004!
I'll keep everyone posted on the unit once I have it set up.
post #193 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 05:46 PM

Liked: 11
Bishamon:
Did you try writing back to Syntax to explain why their answer contradicts itself? Perhaps Ron Mallari's native language is not English, and he didn't understand the question.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #194 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 06:39 PM

Has this become a Spectre only thread or is anyone interested in hearing about a Westinghouse Digital W33001 30" panel?
post #195 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by genietime
Has this become a Spectre only thread or is anyone interested in hearing about a Westinghouse Digital W33001 30" panel?
Absolutely. Let's hear it.
post #196 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by genietime
I am perhaps the one to blame here for posting to much feedback about Sceptre :) but no , Sir, we are equally interested in hearing about Syntaxes, ViewSonics, Westinghouses and all other Interesting 30' LCD TVs out there :) Hopefully not only hear, but also see the photos.

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #197 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 09:02 PM

After much looking at 30" LCD panels I took the plunge and bought a 30" Westinghouse Digital W33001.

Couple of things off the bat, all LCD HDTV panels I've personally (Sharp and Gateway, 32" Samsung) seen don't look all that sharp (pardon the pun) with SDTV. The Westinghouse is no exception. SDTV looked pretty bad out of the box, however after I adjusted the color, contrast, brightness, etc, it was substantially improved; colors look much more natural, black levels were improved (but certainly not CRT like), and it doesn't look washed out. Still doesn't look great but looks fair (looks better than the 20" TV it replaced).

I live in a (very) small apartment and needed one display as a PC monitor, a television, and for (very casual) HT. All three applications are important to me, with use as a PC monitor in a close first place. For my application there was no other reasonable option, 30" LCD was the only choice in my book (the only other contender was the Samsung 43" DLP, but a little too large and pricey for me at this point).

Good: Price, virtually unbeatable, can't mention an exact price (you must look around prices vary by a significant amount) but suffice to say it is in the same ballpark as the Spectre.

Good: Build quality at least on mine. No dead/stuck pixels, and I was really worried about this. I looked specifically for them against different backgrounds for about 10 minutes up very close, so if I have one, I don't really care, because I can't see it). Fanless design, no noise what-so-ever.

Great: DVDs via DVI @ 720p (from my Bravo D1). This stuff looks awesome. The first disc I tried was "Finding Nemo" (:D ) and I was blown away. All expectations met in this department. Haven't gotten HDTV and digital cable yet (it's coming) put in but based on my my DVD experiences I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the HDTV quality.

Bad: The remote (big and very unimpressive). Only good thing is all input modes are selectable via their own button (e.g. there is a DVI button, there is a PC (VGA) button, etc. The user manual is similarly bad as well. DVI and VGA connections are very cramped.

Good with one big, big exception: As a computer display via the VGA port. The extremely extremely bad thing is that the monitor would not out of the box display at 1280x768 (it's native resolution). It does NOT come with this as a standard timing for use as a PC monitor (100% positive of this). After nearly going insane for 4 days, with the help of Rik (he's brilliant) and PowerStrip I eventually guessed and checked my way into 1280x768 (this method is not recommended for the non-obsessive compulsive types, it took me four days and nearly made me go blind watching my monitor trying to sync for that many hours). For this I cannot forgive Westinghouse, they explicitly say that 1280x768 is supported on PC, this is a blatant lie. It absolutely does not (out of the box); I ran moninfo and it is just not there. I was unable to get 1280x768 to display correctly via any other technique (it will display at that res but image quality is crap, and yes my video card and drivers do support 1280x768).

My 5 year old niece knows more about resolutions and LCDs than Westinghouse (no) Tech Support (if the answer is on the web FAQ they can "help" if not they have to ask their supervisor and never call you back). However after I got this resolved (more accurately I resolved it myself), I am a lot happier with my purchase as I'm typing this post on it right now. AVS forum looks great on it in full screen :) . As a computer display it now works just fine.

Sound is unimpressive but ok (two 8W non-detachable speakers); however I venture most like me will use their own sound (system). All stretch modes are well stretch modes (contrary to urban legend there is no perfect stretch mode on any model), unless you can get used to distortion or cropping, view normal TV in 4:3 mode (it's an LCD, don't fear the black bars).

Basically I'm happy with it but I think I had reasonable expectations going in. If you expect it to do HT like a plasma or look fantastic with SDTV you are guaranteed to be disappointed.

Couple of final notes. This like a lot of the other "cheap" 30" LCD panels is made in Taiwan. I have no idea if they are all or some made at the same place, but I suspect some of them are (or if not, probably made under very similar conditions for the most part). If I had known about the Spectre, I would have bought it (you can hardly beat Costco's return policy); I took a fairly significant gamble but I feel that at least in my case it worked out. IMHO I would go with one of the "cheapo" displays; why spend 50 to 100% more for something that is marginally better. If the other LCDs I've seen are better (I'm sure they are in some regards), to me the difference does not seem significant enough.

For me it works, don't trip on my old TV and 21" CRT that are now sitting on the curb. ;)

Not only YMMV, I absolutely guarantee it will, everyone has different needs and perception, look around and make sure you're meeting your own.
post #198 of 945 Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Genie, congratulations!!!! :)
I am glad it worked out well for you. Is there a chance you could take a few snapshots of your display? :) And especially, of the 4x3 stretch modes.
These LCD displays are really turning into swiss knives in the world of displays. Not perfect, but very flexible and multipurpose solutions. I think they might be a very good companion for HTPCs that would allow both high resolution DVD playback and regular PC applications (from gaming, web browsing to MS office applications).
Wish you good luck with Westinghouse and no luck with getting dead pixels. :)

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #199 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

The Secptre is sounding great at its price. But, given these cheap prices -- has anyone looked at bigger "brand X" LCDs?

I have a 35" CRT and would like to get a pix height nearer 22" which means a 42". I think a 37" would be acceptable.

Since I have a projector and need an LCD only for daytime viewing of 4:3 -- dare I ask if anyone has come across a largish 4:3 LCD. I'm simply trying to get the huge 35" out of my tiny apt.
post #200 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

There is a X40SV-Naga II LCD/TV which should offer a pix height of abot 20-inches.

Not quite as sexy looking.

Now the question -- who sells it?
post #201 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

genietime - Can you please be more specific about the Westinghouse stretch modes for SD cable. How many are there and how do they stretch? What do you use and how do you like it? I noticed your comment and wonder if stretch modes are any worse on LCD than other sets - plasma for example. Also doesn't Westinghouse have two tuners so you can do PIP from one cable source. That's pretty neat.

I have noticed another problem with my Sceptre set. When I am channel surfing it takes a moment for the picture to 'settle'. There is a split second when the channel comes on where the picture is distorted and then pops into focus.

I am going to spend some time with the set this weekend. Right now the cable is split between vcr and Sceptre. I really don't use vcr any more and am going to try a straight connection to see what improves.

I am still in the process of evaluating - and am not a Sceptre convert yet.
post #202 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 AM

New to the forum here and been reading for a few days. thanks for all the great info.

I had the chance to see the westinghouse at a store in north jersey and I wasnt impressed, my guess was improper settings because they seemed to be pushing toshiba which looked awesome with HD signal. The one thing I did notice was what seemed to be a refresh scan on the screen like if you when you see a pc monitor on tv. It also looked washed out but again my guess was that they where pushing the toshiba which was on sale and still very expensive. Im still looking and im hoping to check out the sceptre and syntax this weekend.
post #203 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marchristensen
... I noticed your comment and wonder if stretch modes are any worse on LCD than other sets - plasma for example. ...

I have noticed another problem with my Sceptre set. When I am channel surfing it takes a moment for the picture to 'settle'. There is a split second when the channel comes on where the picture is distorted and then pops into focus.

I am going to spend some time with the set this weekend. Right now the cable is split between vcr and Sceptre. I really don't use vcr any more and am going to try a straight connection to see what improves.

I am still in the process of evaluating - and am not a Sceptre convert yet.
Marchristensen, I might be wrong, but I do not believe the stretch mode implementation has anything to do with the display technology (LCD, plasma, DLP, etc.). This is a separate circuitry that takes the incoming 4x3 material, processes it according to the stretch mode selected and then sends it to the screen. True, some devices might offer more control and tweaking in this process ( like custom zoom settings, etc.) but it is not a property of an LCD screen itself, or any other screen for that matter.

My Sceptre is connected via component cable to the receiver. In such a setup, I do not have any delays or "settle" time when channel surfing.

And, neither of us have to be a brand or a model converts. Its simple: if it works for you great, if not - just keep it until you find a better solution and then return the Sceptre.

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #204 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 10:55 AM

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but can someone tell me if there's a Costco near San Francisco that shows the Sceptre, or is it an online-only product?
post #205 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 11:41 AM

Ericjut asked about the wall mount for the Sceptre. I looked at the manual page that was posted on the forum, and it looks like an MIS E VESA mount, same as the syntax. One manufacturer for this is Ergotron, model FX75. I am not guaranteeing this correct, it's just that the measurements seem to match up to the FX75.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #206 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trendscape
I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but can someone tell me if there's a Costco near San Francisco that shows the Sceptre, or is it an online-only product?
Last week I looked in the Fremont, Santa Clara and Mt. View stores and none had any Sceptres. The Mt. View store did have a number of other flat panel LCDs.
post #207 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 12:23 PM

Dean and Eric,

Syntax confirmed for me that they are using the Ergotron FX75 with their floor model LCD TV's. I'm uncertain whether or not this mount is usable with the Sceptre but, if the Sceptre is indeed a MIS-E VESA set, then it should be. Ergotron's web site has additional models that might also work. I believe they also list the specific sets from different manufacturers that are compatible with their mounts.
post #208 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 12:35 PM

I'll try to post some pictures tonight and cover the W33001 stretch modes. TauRus your pictures look surprisingly good for 640x480, do you have any suggestions for me? I took a few shots last night and was unhappy with the quality. It seems that 1280x768 doesn't look all that hot taken with a 640x480 picture.

I'm dying of curiosity, can you guys tell who is the real manufacturer of your monitor (is it OEMed or is is actually made by the brand)? Some of these panels are so similar (even down to the minijack connector) I really wonder if they share a common ancestor (I would speculate most of the Taiwan manufacturers have some kind of connection with or have some (former) personnel from Chi-Mei Optoelectronics). One way I know who is listed as the manufacturer of your display is to run moninfo. For those who don't have it, google on Entech (these are the same guys that make the brilliant PowerStrip). Its under Monitor asset manager and it's free for personal use. This program also tells you what the real modes your monitor says it supports. Most companies who do not make their own panels don't advertise this fact so it can be hard to find out. For example my Westinghouse Digital W33001 is actually made by Nexgen Mediatech (and you won't find this anywhere in their literature that for sure), they just badge it and do a couple of things different.
post #209 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 02:38 PM

I was considering the comments by some on this thread that Sceptre is a more established company than Syntax, and this may cause one to prefer Sceptre over Syntax. For what it's worth, I saw this on the Syntax web site--I don't know whether this corporate expansion is good or bad:

Syntax and Kolin announce Joint Venture Agreement towards the design, integration, production, and distribution of LCD & LCOS television sets.

City of Industry, Calif., - March 18, 2004 – Syntax Groups Corporation (http://www.syntaxusa.com), an emerging manufacturer of consumer electronic and PC products, and Taiwan Kolin Company Limited (http://www.kolin.com.tw), through its subsidiary, DigiMedia Technology Company, Ltd., manufacturer of monitors and digital HDTV high resolution television sets have executed a joint venture agreement that includes a share swap transaction to be executed by April 15, 2004.

By virtue of this joint venture, Kolin, Syntax, and the employees and senior management of Prokia Technology have joined together to acquire the assets of Prokia Technology’s R&D Division for LCD and LCOS optical engines technology, including over 100 patents. The newly formed joint venture will operate as DigiMedia Technology Company under the leadership of its Chief Executive Officer, Eade Wang. Mr. Wang was formerly Chief Executive Office of Prokia Technology in Taiwan.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #210 of 945 Old 04-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
I think a 30" LCD would be perfect for my 13'X13' bedroom, but I would like to use it for PC gaming too. Do you guys have any good games to try out? Someone needs to load up a game of Call of Duty or Far Cry with antaliasing and anistropic filtering enabled at 1024X768 resolution and tell us how it is. How is the in-game refresh rate? It's not rough on the eyes is it? Is there any in-game streaking? This would be good info for me - - but hey I am wierd like that. Oh, and TauRus, you da man! Thanks for all the info and pics, bro. I imagine you may help sell a few Sceptre units with all of your helpful info!
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page