Th-50phd7uy - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 509 Old 08-26-2004, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The info on the new Pana 30U is available in Australia. I have the product sheet in my hands. It's really confusing...it does not appear to have even a DVI port...so forget about HDMI. Its termed as the new VIERA series.....looks sleek...resolution 1340x780...but NO DVI...what's going on...maybe the US models will be different... I will be calling Panny to check whether there is an optional board available. It does appear that I'll be going for the Hitachi 55in...if these specs are correct for Panny..

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 509 Old 08-26-2004, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamster
Woah, I think some of you guys are getting a little crazy over this panel. Yes, I would like to see it soon too, but don't you think Panasonic wants it released ASAP too? It can only mean good press and more sales for them. Maybe they are having some production difficulties with the panel?

I think everyone needs to sit back, take a deep breath and read your previous posts. You may be shocked at how you sound like some angry mob...
So I should put away my mailbomb that I was going to send to Panasonic today?:D

It is true though....we do think that the world should revolve around us AVS'ers....and it should!:)

I'm going to place my order for my Panny 6UY tom. and be happy!

Life is good...
post #93 of 509 Old 08-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Just streams of sarcasm guys, I think we all know it is just a tv, which is why I am posting here and not hanging outside Panasonic's San Jose headquarters with a sign saying "GIVE ME THE 7UY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!"

The anticipation and waiting is a huge part of the fun. As is all friends and family thinking we are insane for (A) spending so much money on just a tv, and (B) not just buying the current one from a local retailer right now like a normal person would.

So using words like "insane demand" are not serious, especially when even people in Panasonic don't even know the specs of the next model.

And jadziedzic, I would expect you as a member of this forum would understand that even if the next genration only added a single new button on the remote for easier tint control WE WOULD HAVE TO HAVE THE NEW THINGY BECAUSE THE NEW THINGY HAS THIS TINT CONTROL THINGY THAT I AM GOING TO DIE WITHOUT OMIGAWWWWWD!!!!

thom

not so patiently waiting for...

the 7UY
the S97S
the HDPVR942
the contractor to start digging my basement out two feet and replacing the foundation so I can have a home theater with a CRT FP and 200 inch screen

:p
post #94 of 509 Old 08-26-2004, 08:25 AM

Ashar, I just sent you a PM regarding the PSX30 data sheet.
Can you confirm any of the the rumored improvements?

Nick
post #95 of 509 Old 08-26-2004, 10:01 AM

Hey guys, did you know that Panasonic has a Bulletin Board on their website? If you go here:

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...tv/default.asp

And look on the far right column, there's a link to HDTV Bulletin Board. I made a post there asking if anyone has any information on the next generation PDP's and tried to subtly make it appear as if I was chomping at the bit to get one.

With a little luck, maybe Panasonic Marketing takes a look at that board every now and again. Worth a shot.
post #96 of 509 Old 08-26-2004, 04:48 PM

Ashar & CrocD

Please refer to this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=craign

You will find that the 30 model about to be released in Australia & already released in the UK is not the 7 series.
post #97 of 509 Old 08-26-2004, 05:25 PM

CraigN,
Thanks!
post #98 of 509 Old 08-26-2004, 08:39 PM

I always wanted to be part of a angry mob. :)
So, is a torch made from oily rags or something else?
post #99 of 509 Old 08-26-2004, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Sixr
I always wanted to be part of a angry mob. :)
So, is a torch made from oily rags or something else?
You planning on joining me to storm the gates of Panasonic's headquarters? :D
post #100 of 509 Old 08-27-2004, 07:19 PM

San Jose you said right? South of San Fran, the protest capital of the world. This thing could snowball with just a nudge.. With any luck, naked people will show up too. :)
post #101 of 509 Old 08-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

I went to UC Berkeley. The naked people always showing to protests and marches didn't exactly heighten the event - more like put me off solid food for a day. If I saw them in the woods I would have shot them and run back to the car.

A little more on topic. I got a slightly better response from the guys at Magnolia HiFi for the consumer version of this set - which I'm assuming portends the release of the commercial release. Panasonic has told them that the 30U's will be out early in December, which they are taking to be just in time for Christmas. They've already started dropping prices on the current Panasonics. With the sale they have going the prices are close to internet prices at this point. Just based on their price drops recently, I'm taking the wild ass guess that the 506UY can drop all the way down to $4K - $4.5K when the new one is released.

So, still looks like nothing officially public from Panasonic, but releases for this next quarter look good.
post #102 of 509 Old 08-28-2004, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You've seen the Panasonic consumer models discounted already? What kind of revised price have you seen on the 42" PX model? Thanks.
post #103 of 509 Old 08-29-2004, 01:05 PM

post #104 of 509 Old 08-29-2004, 01:13 PM

Please forgive my ignorance--I'm a newbie. If I'm going to watch 2 DVDs a week, and regular cable (Comedy Central, which as far as I know doesn't broadcast in HDTV) and want a SIMPLE setup (i.e. as few remotes, switches, etc. as possible), should I get the 6 series now or wait for the 7? I confess I don't begin to understand a lot of the techie differences between the two--is there any difference either I or my 2 year-old are going to notice? Thanks!
post #105 of 509 Old 08-29-2004, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Features, picture quality and price of Plasmas improve in every generation. So by buying the current generation, you may miss a bit in these categories. But if you are not super critical when it comes to picture quality, and are satisfied with the images you see in current generation, by all means buy those.

Amir
post #106 of 509 Old 08-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

When I see the current version in the store, properly calibrated, it is absolutely gorgeous. The next generation does improve some things a bit, but these are only evolutionary changes - the 42" and 50" sizes are not going to be 1080P anytime soon. The contrast of the next version (looking at the specs for the Japanese release) is still the same - the picture may just handle edges a bit better.
post #107 of 509 Old 08-30-2004, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I spoke to a friend (works in a local Dealer) this morning about the 7UY Models.

ETA 5 to 10 weeks.

Distributors don't have the prices yet.
post #108 of 509 Old 08-30-2004, 03:23 PM

anyone know what the resolution of the 42" will be? please no rectangular pixels
post #109 of 509 Old 08-30-2004, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BruZZi
I spoke to a friend (works in a local Dealer) this morning about the 7UY Models.

ETA 5 to 10 weeks.

Distributors don't have the prices yet.
Thanks BruZZi, at least that's somewhat of a window. Did you happen to ask if there are plans for ED set for the 7UY as well?

I know thats a question many of us were wondering due to the lack of an ED set on the new Japanese 30 series release.
post #110 of 509 Old 08-30-2004, 03:47 PM

Bruzzi,
That's encouraging! You da Panny Man!
Nick
post #111 of 509 Old 08-30-2004, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Madden
No confirmation yet(of course there hasn't really been confirmation of anything), but I'd be willing to bet the farm that there will be 1 or 2 standard HDMI inputs on the 7UY. Panasonic would look way behind the times if they didn't put HDMI on their new panels.
But the 6UY doesn't even have DVI. If 7UY was to have HDMI, would that be an option (similar to DVI as an option now), or does the technology of HDMI require that it be built in rather than an add on feature ala DVI card? Thanks.
post #112 of 509 Old 08-30-2004, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
anyone know what the resolution of the 42" will be? please no rectangular pixels
idoubleL,

The PX300 Models (7th Gen. Consumer) just released in Japan have the same resolution as previous Models.
So should the Industrial 7UY Plasmas.

Quote:
Thanks BruZZi, at least that's somewhat of a window. Did you happen to ask if there are plans for ED set for the 7UY as well?
I know thats a question many of us were wondering due to the lack of an ED set on the new Japanese 30 series release.
:)

He couldn't get any more details. But I'm pretty sure Panasonic will still make ED displays for few more years since it's the best selling model.
post #113 of 509 Old 08-30-2004, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news from BruZZI, although still hate to wait with the NFL season and World Series around the corner.....and hopefully the set will not be delayed beyond this time frame. History usually shows that due dates are rarely met, and we don't even have an announced time frame from Panasonic yet.

Has anyone given any thought to the 7UY potentially not being as good as the 6UY? Although not likely, we do have a winner in the 6UY series now. With the sets' great reviews, both in this forum and professionally (i.e., CNET's review of the Panasonic TH 50 PHD6UY stating, "This pure-picture panel is far superior to Panasonic's consumer models and smokes every other 50-inch plasma available....Best black-level performance of any 50-inch plasma on the market; good color decoder with no red push; solid video processing with 2:3 pull-down; independent memory per input....It will outperform any 50-inch panel--at any price--currently on the market", the 7UY has a tough target to exceed.

Regarding the 7UY series, one feature being touted is the addition of “video noise reduction†circuitry. Is this addition necessarily a good feature? My Proton CRT set has a switch for video noise reduction, but I never turn it on because the resultant picture has less detail. In fact, isn't a loss of fine detail an inherent trade-off with video noise reduction? Will the 7UY have an option to turn the video noise reduction on or off? With the 6UY series, the sets' great detail is one of its strongest attribues, one feature I would not want to compromise.

Given that the 6UY is a known, proven winner; that the series is available now; and that the price is relatively low, is waiting for the 7UY necessarily the best option? I don't know; just something to ponder.

I have a couple questions related to this discussion. First, the 50" TH PHD6UY seems to have garnered almost all the high acclaim; can we safely assume the same accolades apply to the 42" PHD6UY?

Secondly, interesting to note that CNET states that Panasonic's 50" commercial panel is far superior to Panasonic's consumer model, yet many sources claim that the consumer and commercial sets are basically identical with the exception of various "non-circuitry" add-ons to the consumer model such as speakers, tuner, etc. Apparently the 3-2 pulldown detection and 720p input is what makes the commercial set superior to the consumer model, or does the advantage extend beyond these attributes?
post #114 of 509 Old 08-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

It's always nice when a product we're considering gets good reviews, but more important is what our own eyes tell us. Good reviews can point us to the products we ought to audition, but in the end "to thine own self be true".

Rob
post #115 of 509 Old 08-31-2004, 10:51 AM

I'm in the same quandry as igreg (as I'm sure others are)... is it WORTH waiting for the 7UY?

Also, Bruzzi, when your friend said 5-10 weeks, was it 5-10 weeks to announcement or actually having it available for purchase (any assumptions of delays aside)?

Also, would the introduction (or even announcement) of the 7UY drive the price of the 6UY down even more? B/c even if the 7UY "new" features aren't justified, I'd have to think waiting still is a benefit as you can get the current models for even cheaper than they are now. Albeit, you will miss hours of enjoyment (NFL, MLB, etc) so maybe the few hundred bucks ISN'T worth the wait.

decisions...<sigh>
post #116 of 509 Old 08-31-2004, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

He stood there, immobile, waiting for something better. He waited and waited and waited some more. And then he was run over by a chicken truck.

Rob
post #117 of 509 Old 08-31-2004, 02:53 PM

Well count me in on the "tired of waiting" group- I ordered my 6UY from VA over the weekend. The only bad part is that I won't get it until after the holiday weekend since I'm on the East Coast:(
No matter...it'll be up and ready for Sunday Ticket:cool:

Life is good...
post #118 of 509 Old 08-31-2004, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

What were missing waiting for the 7UY: Check out this link; its pretty interesting with a humorous edge.

http://www.onhd.tv

Interesting to note that he web site reports that DIRECTV added Bravo HD to its package of High-Definition TV channels on August 30 in time for HD broadcast of the US Open. Even if your not a tennis buff, Serena in her black-on-denim set and Maria Sharapova merit a look.
post #119 of 509 Old 08-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kgoetz97
Well count me in on the "tired of waiting" group- I ordered my 6UY from VA over the weekend. The only bad part is that I won't get it until after the holiday weekend since I'm on the East Coast:(
No matter...it'll be up and ready for Sunday Ticket:cool:
That's why I ordered mine from Plasma Concepts. They're in Michigan, so I had it in 3 days to NC.

Rob
post #120 of 509 Old 08-31-2004, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by igreg
What were missing waiting for the 7UY: Check out this link; its pretty interesting with a humorous edge.

http://www.onhd.tv

Interesting to note that he web site reports that DIRECTV added Bravo HD to its package of High-Definition TV channels on August 30 in time for HD broadcast of the US Open. Even if your not a tennis buff, Serena in her black-on-denim set and Maria Sharapova merit a look.
igreg....you naughty boy! ;)

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page