Zenith P42W46X ? - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #541 of 569 Old 07-21-2005, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all .. this thread seems pretty old, but there isn't much about this model anywhere else in these forums.
I recently did some web design for an AV Pro client, my payment was a Z42PX2D. It's my first venture into the world of plasma and I'm pretty excited about it.

so far I've had the panel for 2 days .. my impressions:

PROs:
*built in tuner .. bought a $35 antenna at Best Buy, plugged it in and I am watching local HD channels. Not much out there yet, but some channels broadcast some nice travel shows which really show the potential of this panel. *colors are vibrant
*blacks are very good
CONs:
*seems to be a little motion blur with pixelation.
*dark scenes with greys become distorted.
*speakers make it a bit wide
*not sure if there's anything else that's a problem. I haven't compared it to many
other ED panels.

Like I said, it's my first plasma and I really don't know a hell of alot about the technology.
Here are some questions:
Will I notice a big difference in PQ when I upgrade my DirectTV box to HD? I know that HD programs will look great, but will the other SD channels look better than my current non-HD DT box?
I'm getting information overload by reading other threads (especially the Panasonic ones). I am tempted to ask my client to swap it out for one of those Pannys. But I'm hanging on to this baby just because it's plugged in and I don't want to deal with waiting for a swap!
Someone that owns one make me feel warm and fuzzy by saying some good things about the Z42PX2D .. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 569 Old 07-30-2005, 08:45 AM

You might want to start a new thread about the Z42PX2D, it's unlikey another owner of one will pop into a thread about the P42W46X, you know?

If it's like these sets, pic quality will get better after 200 hours. For whatever reason they need to get broken in. On all plasmas, SD cable is going to look less than impressive. You'll get to a point where you are used to how it looks, and you'll realize how bad the sginal the cable or dish company sends really is.

DVDs will look fantastic on it, especially if you get an upscaling player and use the DVI or HDMI (whatever you've got on that model) port for a pure digital connection.

Again, I don't know about your model, but I believe this model of Zenith, and the Panny's that everyone raves about (and pays through the nose for) have the same screen, which is actually made by LG and available as an LG branded model.
post #543 of 569 Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Another report on my P42W46X....IT ROCKS!!!!

I've had it since November 04 (Consumertalks, remember when we bought them?) and have been a happy camper since then....

Now, I'm in the middle of a relocation process from MN to CO....I had the plasma TV placed in the original box plus a custom made crate for shipping purposes...let's see how it arrives. To be honest, I'm quite nervous about it...

Enjoy your panels my friends!

Don't die wondering...
post #544 of 569 Old 08-11-2005, 10:43 AM

you know my panel started to do that sparkle thing lately when i turn it on and if the input is set to tuner. If its on anything but that no sparkle. Go figure.
post #545 of 569 Old 08-11-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacv75
Another report on my P42W46X....IT ROCKS!!!!

I've had it since November 04 (Consumertalks, remember when we bought them?) and have been a happy camper since then....

Now, I'm in the middle of a relocation process from MN to CO....I had the plasma TV placed in the original box plus a custom made crate for shipping purposes...let's see how it arrives. To be honest, I'm quite nervous about it...

Enjoy your panels my friends!
Mine arrived safe, I moved locally about 25 miles. I used the original packaging, and taped it up WELL! Just be careful when you place the styrofoam (if you have it), and don't forget to put on the anti-static bag first! :rolleyes:
post #546 of 569 Old 08-11-2005, 01:05 PM

I kept the whole packaging material and it paid off...I packed it myself with the anti-static bag, the styro-foam, etc....The relocation company sent a guy to custom-build a special crate for it that looked great when finished (Heck, I might even keep it!).

What worries me is the loading-unloading process and the 1200 miles that it has to travel....it is insured, of course, but anyway!

I'll post more when my household goods arrive next week...

Don't die wondering...
post #547 of 569 Old 08-11-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I kept the whole packaging material and it paid off...I packed it myself with the anti-static bag, the styro-foam, etc....The relocation company sent a guy to custom-build a special crate for it that looked great when finished (Heck, I might even keep it!).

What worries me is the loading-unloading process and the 1200 miles that it has to travel....it is insured, of course, but anyway!

I'll post more when my household goods arrive next week...
It's probably the safest thing, I know they were careful with mine. My bed, a console table, a shelving unit, and a lamp... not so careful. I'm glad I got the insurance!! :eek:
post #548 of 569 Old 08-11-2005, 01:29 PM

Yep, I can't tell you that I sleep well at night knowing my PDP is out there somewhere...plus all the rest of my stuff....however, I feel very confident that everything will be ok...

Is good to hear you still enjoy your Zenith CT...

Take care

Don't die wondering...
post #549 of 569 Old 08-11-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Is good to hear you still enjoy your Zenith CT...
You too.. though at times the prices of these HD sets are getting painful! Still, having it since November was well worth it.

I'm enjoying it more than ever, I added quite a few DVDs to my library last month, and I've got about 40 more in mid-shipment right now. I put a link in my sig to the list (and a few pics), check it out! :D

Plus, my new living room makes me sit about 4' closer than before, so I just look at it as a free upgrade from the 42" to a 50"! :p
post #550 of 569 Old 08-12-2005, 06:35 AM

hahaha!....I never thought of it that way CT. My new apartment will actually increase my viewing distance by a foot or two (Does this mean I DO have to buy the 50" now?) so let's see how the set up comes up at the end...

I'm planning on adding a DVD recorder soon as well as a pair of Axiom M50 speakers (I had to return my Wharfedales Evo 40s...bummer!), so a bigger plasma would have to wait a bit...

Don't die wondering...
post #551 of 569 Old 08-16-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert123
Discrete codes are available for all the input modes.

Robert
Does anyone know what they are?
post #552 of 569 Old 09-26-2005, 02:42 PM

Started experiencing some "green sparkly stars" as of late...It seems to calm down after the set is on for a little bit, but nonetheless is pretty annoying...it happens when any input is active (ie: xbox, hdbox) but not on an idle screen...has my Z become possessed?

-J-
post #553 of 569 Old 10-15-2005, 12:42 AM

Bump of an old tread and a well used panel. After many months of trying to get some ambient lighting that I would be happy with I finally found some LEDs that did the trick.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...0/CRW_8660.jpg
post #554 of 569 Old 10-15-2005, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoeyjoey
Bump of an old tread and a well used panel. After many months of trying to get some ambient lighting that I would be happy with I finally found some LEDs that did the trick.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...0/CRW_8660.jpg
Joey that looks great! Do share your details :).

-J-
post #555 of 569 Old 10-15-2005, 07:55 AM

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...0/CRW_8653.jpg

Installation is straight forward. Purchase 2 18†Hampton Bay under cabinet LED lights (your local home improvement depot will have these) as well as some Velcro, unless you actually want to screw directly into the rear of your panel.

Place the Velcro on the LED mounts and affix it to the rear of your panel. I find the area right before the speakers is a good location to mount them. The Hampton Bay LED have an adjustable mount so you can adjust how the light hits your back wall, unlike rope light which just puts light anywhere.

Once install power them up and adjust to your liking. You will spend around 45USD for this project.

Below is a side by side with the difference between watching with and without lighting. You will notice that the dark range has seemed to expand more because of this.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3..._8638_8639.jpg
post #556 of 569 Old 10-15-2005, 08:07 AM

Good find, triplejoey. :D. I may have to pick up some of those LED kits. I'm using a standard under cabinet light (my gallery). I like the way your LEDs aren't as obvious a light source as mine.

The two pictures you posted look the same to me, maybe because they're just the on screen picture, not shots of the set with your LEDs on/off.

BTW, do you have any pictures of your HT setup? I don't see a gallery here on AVS.
post #557 of 569 Old 10-16-2005, 09:40 PM

Here is a picture of my P42W46X as of yesterday. Bought it 1/29/05 from BB.
The picture became like this while watching a game on Saturday. I have a repair appointment for 10/25. Will post an update.
post #558 of 569 Old 10-17-2005, 07:29 AM

Nice find for the lighting! I was just thinking about doing something like that this past weekend but wasn't sure how. Now I'm gonna do it for sure. I've got the LG RU42PX11 (very similar to the Zenith, I believe) so it should be pretty easy to do.

Sorry about the screen problem. Let us know what the cause/problem/outcome is after the tech comes out.

J-
post #559 of 569 Old 10-17-2005, 08:16 AM

glad you guys like the LEDs. Make sure to post your examples when installed.

zrx1100: ouch. please do share what the techs find.
post #560 of 569 Old 10-17-2005, 10:33 AM

I am still trying to get a tech to come out and check out my panel with the green sparkles at power on....they do got away after 10-15minutes though...the tech i was talking to said it was "probably the inputs going bad"...we'll see whenever i can get our schedules to meet.

-J-
post #561 of 569 Old 10-29-2005, 12:59 PM

A repair guy thinks this is either the digital processor or the panel control board.
He has never seen this issue before. Also, Zenith contracted the work out to a local shop: SF in Home TV service

Update:

All right: The TV has been fixed. Two Ydriver boards top and bottom died.
Part numbers:6871QDH066B and 6871QDH067B. Also replaced YSUS Board.
post #562 of 569 Old 11-04-2005, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just purchased the Z42PX2D from Best Buy. It is on clearance and you can apply the 15% off coupon so it really is a good deal.

My question--can anyone give me the measurements of the base. I have a credenza and want to make certain the Zenith will fit or whether I will need to wall mount it.

TIA,

JHawk
post #563 of 569 Old 11-14-2005, 07:47 PM

So i got the panel replaced--and still a few green sparkles/dots at first, but whatever no biggie...anyway it seems as if this is more like the LG panel now as it has the xD engine in the settings menu and the remote is acting funky---anyone have a simliar experience?

-J-
post #564 of 569 Old 11-17-2005, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk
I just purchased the Z42PX2D from Best Buy. It is on clearance and you can apply the 15% off coupon so it really is a good deal.
Just read on another forum that there was another price drop on the BB clearance price, plus the current GC rebate form is printing out at the register (which I don't think it should, as IIRC the rebate is for HDs only, not EDs).

I'll leave it as, the price cut and rebate together make a PM trip back to BB well worth the jaunt......
post #565 of 569 Old 01-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumertalks

BTW, do you have any pictures of your HT setup? I don't see a gallery here on AVS.
I'm really slow at responding huh. I am closer at finishing up my install.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...0/CRW_9141.jpg

My latest addition is my wall mountable A/V receiver. Just need to finish up my wallplate and I'll take more photos.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...0/CRW_9146.jpg
post #566 of 569 Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 PM

I now get these white sparkles for the first few minutes on any input that renaldow has pointed out on page 18. It does go away but it never did this before. Wouldnt ya know 1 year after I bought the set :P

Ima call in to get the set checked out. I got the 4 year extended on this.
post #567 of 569 Old 08-26-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx1100
Here is a picture of my P42W46X as of yesterday. Bought it 1/29/05 from BB.
The picture became like this while watching a game on Saturday. I have a repair appointment for 10/25. Will post an update.
Mine did the exact same thing yesterday, just over 1 year old. What did the repair end up costing
post #568 of 569 Old 08-26-2006, 12:22 PM

I never called in for it and just lived with it. I figured I got about 3 years left on the extended and that I would wait till the last year to service it. They might muck it up if I turned it in now. It still does it on power up.
post #569 of 569 Old 08-26-2006, 09:50 PM

FWIW...I have an LG ED set that's 2 years old (simalar tv in internals to the Zenith im pretty sure)...about 6 months ago..I experienced similar problems..except my sparkels were greenish...and like u, went away steadly after watching for a little while...I called it in and had service come out...they had to open the set and make an ajustment to some controls (Y and Z..can't really remember all the tech mumbo jumbo) Suffice to say, that's all it was was an adjustment and I've never experienced the problem since...but what you're seeing is an issue and i believe it is correctable based on my experience...so don't hesitate to use your warranty coverage..that's what it's there for..
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page