Panny TH-42PA25 Possible Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2004, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone can help this newbie out.

I've been enjoying my new Panny for about a week now with no problems. A few days ago, I noticed that the black bars for 2.35:1 DVD's were not proportional. The top bar is about an inch, while the bottom bar is nearly 3 inches. (As opposed to an even 2 on the top and bottom).

I thought I was being clever and figured out how to access the service menu and started adjusting the Vertical Pos. This worked great for the next couple of 2.35:1 DVDs I watched, but tonight I popped in Aladdin with the family which fills the entire screen. I was upset to see that there were two different "dead" areas now visible at the top of the screen. One was bout 6 inches long by 1 inch tall (top middle), and the other was about 2 inches long by 1 inch tall (right middle). I went ahead and put the Vertical Pos back to where it was from the factory and for the time being have resigned myself to the fact that 2.35:1 DVDs will not be centered.

So my questions are:

1) Is is normal for a Panny plasma to not center 2.35:1 DVDs?

2) Is this a valid problem that would warrant a return back to Costco?

Thanks!!!

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Check to make sure you don't have a zoom mode set on either the display *OR* the DVD player that is doing this to you.

A zoom mode stretches the image so that some parts of the image are lost off the sides, top and bottom of the display. To make sure that things like subtitles aren't included in the data lost off the bottom, some displays/players offer an optional zoom mode that not only stretches the image, but also shifts it up to keep the subtitle area on screen. What you are seeing sounds like what such a zoom mode would do to you.

But that aside, no, it is not normal for the image to be that much off center vertically. If you have a calibration test DVD such as Avia you'll find test screens on it that will allow you to check specifically as to just how much your image size and centering geometry is off. Some displays/players have controls that allow you to correct for size/centering errors, but you shouldn't have to use them to correct for more than a few pixels of error.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!