Sharp LC-45GX6U Owner's Thread..... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1906 Old 10-29-2004, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
chavel: well, you have 2x as many pixels...

phoenix: haven't seen it. I am guessing the right half/ left half issues may be what has held up production / QA?? *shrug* I see the line down the middle. Mainly when the screen goes all black. I haven't seen what you just described though. Oh, and the line down the middle isn't like a 1 pixel width line. Its like 1-2" wide. At least that is how I see it.

jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1906 Old 10-29-2004, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mayabe you have a bad bulb in the backlight?? Time to call 1-800-BE-SHARP? :confused:

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #183 of 1906 Old 10-29-2004, 05:00 PM

I'm having issues with pixel defects and obtaining a replacement from the place of purchase. I may need to consider returning it and buying from another source or giving up on the Sharp Aquos altogether. I really don't want to give it up since this is my very first HDTV purchase ever and the Aquos is perfect for my needs. If I return the sharp, I may wait a few more years before buying an HDTV w/ how things are going now :( I also plan on contacting Sharp if things don't work out well with the place of purchase.

If I do get it from another source, I'd appreciate recommendations for places w/ great return/replacement/shipping/etc. especially w/ respect to bad pixels.

I won't bring up my place of purchase since I'm still in the process of trying to work things out and want to give them a chance to settle my issues.

Thx,

Dennis
post #184 of 1906 Old 10-29-2004, 05:11 PM

Dr-

How many dead pixels do you have?

I have seen 3-4 stuck on blues. I don't know about any others. Not happy about them, but I can't see them past 1-2 feet. Maybe if it was for computer use, it would be more important to me.

Jeremy
post #185 of 1906 Old 10-29-2004, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremys
Dr-

How many dead pixels do you have?

I have seen 3-4 stuck on blues. I don't know about any others. Not happy about them, but I can't see them past 1-2 feet. Maybe if it was for computer use, it would be more important to me.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

I've got the following: 1 blue off, 1 red off, 3 greens on. Yeah, I use it for computer use too.

I went w/ my place of purchase because they seemed to have a good pixel defect policy and went w/ Sharp specifically because it seems to have a good reputation on this forum.

Dennis
post #186 of 1906 Old 10-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mike53,

Were you referring to me when you made the bad backlight comment? I don't think my issue was a bad backlight. It definitely looked like electronics. However, turning the unit off and then restarting it cleared the problem. If it reoccurs with any frequency, I'll be phoning. But.....one-time incidents are just a "shrug the shoulders" type of thing.

Phoenix
post #187 of 1906 Old 10-30-2004, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody have any experience using this TV with a standalone non-HD TiVo? I really want to wait to upgrade my Tivo until there is a HD 'TiVo' branded unit preferably with a CableCard interface. I was wondering, can you even use a standalone TiVo while using the CableCard in the TV? I haven't gotten my 45GX6U in yet but from the threads I have read, you just cannot do this without using a Cable Box. I'd really prefer not to use a Cable Box but I'd do it if it meant no TiVo. Also, I'd love to know that the upscaler in the AVS (or using an iScan HD/HD+) makes it bearable to watch SD TiVo on the 45GX6U. Thanks.
post #188 of 1906 Old 10-31-2004, 02:41 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by sawyer
Chuck and sorry:

My HDMI from the HD Tivo is doing the same thing.

It has a washed out 'purple haze' but even after making adjustments on the Sharp couldn't fix it.

I will try to make the 1080i to 720p and back change on the HD Tivo and hopefully it will re-sync.

I will HATE to have to do this everytime I turn on the set, though. I guess you guys may be right on a firmware adjustment.
Hello All,

So does anyone know if this problem with the HDMI HD-TIVO has been fixed as of yet or not? I asm thinking of getting this LCD but I would be connecting it to a Hughes HD-Tivo/DirecTV unit for sure so I want to make sure all is kosher before hand... Of course I can continue to hold out for the Qualia 005

Thanx
post #189 of 1906 Old 10-31-2004, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixScreen
Mike53,

Were you referring to me when you made the bad backlight comment? I don't think my issue was a bad backlight. It definitely looked like electronics. However, turning the unit off and then restarting it cleared the problem. If it reoccurs with any frequency, I'll be phoning. But.....one-time incidents are just a "shrug the shoulders" type of thing.

Phoenix
Yes sir.....hope it's fixed.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #190 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 519
I am very impressed with the Sharp LC45GX6U

I wall mounted the monitor on a Sanus tilt wall mount, removing the speaker assembly and table stand

Had to remove the cablecard which Comcast cannot get to work since a menu keeps popping up on the screen, even on other inputs, that the CC is not authorized

Yesterday had a few friends over watching NFL games in HD from SA3250 stb set for 1080i: the same signal was sent to a Fujitsu P63 plasma and the Sharp LC45GX6U via component video

All agreed the LC45 looked sharper and preferred the LCD picture: saw no motion lag issues ( quickshoot is set to ON by default in the menu)

this is my first experience with the new generation of 1920x1080 displays and I am very pleased :)

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #191 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

I have to agree. Football on the 45" Sharp is really awesome. I've recorded portions of some games with the MyHD MDP-120 card and use it as "show-off" material when friends come over.

Of course.....I prefer the college games! :D

Phoenix
post #192 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Fan noise of AVC unit when operated vertically:

there is one issue that I noticed with this unit:

When the AVC box is mounted vertically on its bracket, the fan resonates and is loud enough to be objectionable: with the box oriented horizontally, there is no problem (there is also no problem with panel fan noise)

I would really like to mount the box vertically but cannot because of the fan

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #193 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm glad to report that I will soon be the proud owner of a LC45GX6U. It's coming in tomorrow via FedEX Freight. They said the delivery is scheduled for Wed. afternoon. They said a semi-truck would be delivering it.

My question is-- -Is it possible for me to pick this up from them? Are there any delivery/warranty issues to consider? It would be great to get this set a day early but if there are any issues I could wait.

Thanks,
Ken
post #194 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin
I am very impressed with the Sharp LC45GX6U

Yesterday had a few friends over watching NFL games in HD from SA3250 stb set for 1080i: the same signal was sent to a Fujitsu P63 plasma and the Sharp LC45GX6U via component video

All agreed the LC45 looked sharper and preferred the LCD picture: saw no motion lag issues ( quickshoot is set to ON by default in the menu)

this is my first experience with the new generation of 1920x1080 displays and I am very pleased :)
Mark, this is big coming from you, a long-time Fujitsu owner.

How do the LCD black levels compare to Fujitsu?

I know they are greyer, but are they passable to your discriminating eyes???
post #195 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by wojtek
Mark, this is big coming from you, a long-time Fujitsu owner.

How do the LCD black levels compare to Fujitsu?

I know they are greyer, but are they passable to your discriminating eyes???
Black levels still go to the plasma: no question the Fujitsu has better black levels

watching NFL in HD on the LCD black levels are very good for an LCD

I still love the Fujitsu plasma :

I also see the new high resolution LCD displays as excellent

post #196 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Mark... Have you tried to get a little dampening material in between the box and the stand to deal with the fan noise? I'm sure some mods could help -- both external and internal -- although as you know from my experiences in the long-distant past, sometimes noise cannot be eliminated.

Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #197 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 04:02 PM

Mark, interesting on the fan when unit is upright. I'll make it known and see if the one here does the same thing

Jason

AKA Jason Kuenkler
post #198 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ckelly33
Anybody have any experience using this TV with a standalone non-HD TiVo? I really want to wait to upgrade my Tivo until there is a HD 'TiVo' branded unit preferably with a CableCard interface. I was wondering, can you even use a standalone TiVo while using the CableCard in the TV? I haven't gotten my 45GX6U in yet but from the threads I have read, you just cannot do this without using a Cable Box. I'd really prefer not to use a Cable Box but I'd do it if it meant no TiVo. Also, I'd love to know that the upscaler in the AVS (or using an iScan HD/HD+) makes it bearable to watch SD TiVo on the 45GX6U. Thanks.
I have my non-HD TIVO connected by s-vhs and regular coaxial to the AVC unit. The picture quality is just OK. It is really a function of low def stuff projecting on such a large screen (even with side bars). For example, if I project the same image on picture/picture dual display (i.e. only uses half of the display), the picture looks great. I just don't think the AVC upscaler can display SD pictures with great clarity up to the full LCD resolution. That being said, it is usable for general recording use.

Right now, I use my comcast 6800 series HD box with PVR to record HD material and my TIVO to record regular stuff (mostly for my children). The cable box HD PVR has a 80 GB hard drive can record only about 8 hours of HD materials. I personally cannot stand SD materials now. Luckily, with few HD movie channels and all the local channels available in HD, I don't really need to see SD channels now!! My three year old and one and half year old children don't seem to mind the TIVO SD recordings......:D
post #199 of 1906 Old 11-01-2004, 06:56 PM

I've been tracking the TiVo Community thread on HDMI over at:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=183203

It seems like the HR10-250 has a really crappy HDMI output card. The pink screen syndrome appears with other manufacturers displays too. I'm just going to wait a little bit until DirecTV really fixes the problem, and then I'll get yet another replacement HR10-250 (my first one spontaneously rebooted periodically...
Chuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Lord
Hello All,

So does anyone know if this problem with the HDMI HD-TIVO has been fixed as of yet or not? I asm thinking of getting this LCD but I would be connecting it to a Hughes HD-Tivo/DirecTV unit for sure so I want to make sure all is kosher before hand... Of course I can continue to hold out for the Qualia 005

Thanx
post #200 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 02:31 AM

Here is a photo of the PAL version of the sharp the picture is untouched but was reduced from a 6mg JPEG to a 250k picture for the hosting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/laurie-1/Sharp%20TV/SharpHDTV.jpg

cheers laurie

ps sorry guys but the link function is not working typing in the url may be required :(
post #201 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 05:37 AM

It's not the link function, it's your link ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SharpHDTV.jpg
post #202 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 07:57 AM
dwx

So are there any official representatives from Sharp lurking here that can comment on when Sharp will offer an upgraded AVC box that can handle DVI switching at 1920x1080x60Hz and possibly deal with the "not quite in spec" HDMI on the HD-DirectTivo?

I've decided to wait until Sharp fixes at least the DVI problem (YES! it is a problem!) before getting this device. Otherwise I think it's great, and would think it was even better if it didn't have the AVC box requirement at all (i.e. just had DVI, HDMI, s-Video, VGA, and components plugs on the back of the display).

-dwx
post #203 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 08:05 AM

OK, so has anyone had success in getting 1080p through the AVC? I tried to read through the entire thread to get up to speed and did not see anything, so if this has been covered my apologies. It would be nice not to have to buy a separate DVI switch. I have been doing quite a bit of research on this subject and found some things out. Only GeForce cards with external TMDS like the Silicon Image 164 or 1162 chips will allow you to access the HDTV settings in the advanced timings page. It is outlined here…

http://www.nvidia.com/object/advanced_timings

I am due for a graphics card upgrade so I am going to get a Gainward GeForce 6800 GT 256MB ULTRA/2400, it has the Silicon Image 164 external chip. What I am hoping is that one of you lucky owners have a GeForce with the external TMDS and will give this a try.

I think I will go with the Sharp regardless because it will be primarily a monitor anyway, but if the AVC will not take 1080p it will collect dust in the box.
post #204 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 08:38 AM

Quote:
so has anyone had success in getting 1080p through the AVC
I don't think you missed anything. Pretty sure that 1080i is the best that's been reported on AVC inputs. And doing so isn't as good good a picture as it could be.

Mike
post #205 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 08:58 AM

Just got off the phone with PC/Mac Mall and they say that the original due date for the Sharp 45GX6U to ship was 11/1. They are now informing me that it will be at least another week before they even take delivery. My only concern is that another delay will follow that one. Has anyone taken dellivery of their Sharp 45 from PC Mall?
post #206 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 09:32 AM

They assured me this weekend that no one has.

See my ranting on the non-owner link under Sharp LC45GX6U
post #207 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. Maybe Mike 53 could be of some help. I hate to bring him into it but it seems like the problem is on the Sharp side. One Call seems to be able to ship their orders, and usually within 48 hours.
post #208 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 09:52 AM

Usually we ship the same day here at Onecall btw :)

And Brosnan is correct, no 1920x1080p into the avc, you can only do so hooked up to an external processor/pc directly into the panel itself.

Jason

AKA Jason Kuenkler
post #209 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Pretty sure that 1080i is the best that's been reported on AVC inputs. And doing so isn't as good good a picture as it could be.
For VIDEO sources, assuming the best source resolution is 720p/1080i, has anyone confirmed that an external scaler actually improves the PQ of the LC-45?

post #210 of 1906 Old 11-02-2004, 10:08 AM

I've ran it with the Iscan hd, at 1080p native, and have been impressed with it's results. Everyone has their own opinion of what is better of course, but I prefer the adjustability of the Iscan.

Jason

AKA Jason Kuenkler
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page