Vizio P42HD - Only HD Plasma under $2500! Good buy? [note NO COUPON TALK] - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #511 of 539 Old 01-04-2005, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up the new P42HDe at Costco (Plano, TX). It is in a white box with orange lettering and indicates it is a 5000:1 contrast ratio. The display unit is a dark grey bezel (I assume it is the P42HDe). When I was in Costo the week before XMAS, the display unit had a silver bezel and TV's were boxed in standard brown cardboard boxes. Apparently they changed out the units but kept the old the sale tags for it still says 3000:1 contrast ratio. Almost bought this prior to XMAS and glad I waited since the newer units now specify 5000:1 CR and I like the dark grey bezel much better.

Price was the same as the older silver bezeled P42HD. I asked Costco personnel if the price should drop via any kind of sale or mailer within the next few weeks, would they honor the new price? They indicated they would as long as I brought in my receipt, so I had no issue buying now and waiting to see if these things went on sale on the 17th.

Costco was handing out flyers for items on sale from Jan 10th - 16th. Vizio P42HD was not one of these items listed.

Box dimensions are 48"(l) x 33"(h) x 18.5"(d). Costo personnel help me load it in my full-size Montero SUV and it slid in easily standing upright after I folded up the rear seat. Costco personnel were adament about NOT laying the TV down. They insisted it stand upright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 539 Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by rkhobbit
Box dimensions are 48"(l) x 33"(h) x 18.5"(d). Costo personnel help me load it in my full-size Montero SUV and it slid in easily standing upright after I folded up the rear seat. Costco personnel were adament about NOT laying the TV down. They insisted it stand upright.
Thanks rkhobbit for the measurements.
I'll measure my Focus wagon in the morning, but I can always count on my friend Dino and his P/U if needed.
post #513 of 539 Old 01-04-2005, 11:10 PM

I must be missing something here...Ron maybe you could show me the error of my ways. I too am in northern va and live two miles from the Fairfax Costco and work near the Chantilly VA costco. Stopped at the chantilly costco where they have the P42HDe on the left, the 42" Akai Ed in the middle and the Panny 42 ED.

Before I go further, I'd be the first to admit that chances are slim that the tv's are calibrated but honestly, to my eys the Panny blew the new P42HDe away. Yes an ED blew a HD away.

Here is what I noticed: the panny had better detail (both were running off the same feed and hooked up via component), less glare, more naturalistic color, much better detail in dark areas. The superiority of the consumer panasonic was evident at one foot and evident at 10 feet. The panny picture was lively and "popped" the 42HDe did not. I found myself wanting to watch the Panny much more than the other two monitors. I just shook my head at the 5000:1 CI...made no sense to me. If the P42HDe can't be calibrated to look as good as the panny it would not be a deal at $500 below the Panny price. The qualitiy overall was not superior, it was not even close to par.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong...I really want to buy the hype as true, but the chantilly costco tells a very different story to my eyes. Has anybody been able to compare the two with some ability to calibrate the P42HDe?
post #514 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 03:55 AM

DITTO! Same impression we had up here in Michigan.

I think what's going on here is everyone is going ga ga over a cheap HD to watch the game or for the bedroom and not going much beyond that. Vizio also lacks front connections for my camcorder. Panny ED is 4000:1.
post #515 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wowfactor
I must be missing something here...Ron maybe you could show me the error of my ways. I too am in northern va and live two miles from the Fairfax Costco and work near the Chantilly VA costco. Stopped at the chantilly costco where they have the P42HDe on the left, the 42" Akai Ed in the middle and the Panny 42 ED.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong...I really want to buy the hype as true, but the chantilly costco tells a very different story to my eyes. Has anybody been able to compare the two with some ability to calibrate the P42HDe?
Was the P42HDe dark gray (bezel) or silver? In the Dallas-Fort Worth area two Costco's had the older model on display. The 'e' boxes were on the floor, but none of them were displayed. Thus initially I felt the same way as you, but once I realized that I wasn't looking at an 'e' model, that changed my perceptions for now. I was on lunch break, so I didn't ask anyone about displaying the 'e' model. I'll do that today if I can.
post #516 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Wowfactor -

Here is an earlier posting in this thread by another forum member (demon16v on December 20) comparing the original P42HD to the Panny EDTV, with both calibrated.
I bought my Vizio P42 HD at Costco in Lancaster, PA last Sun 12/12. On Monday 12/13 I set it up with my Avia disc and connected it to my HD Tivo. So far this is definitely a “BEST BUY†product. IMO it can’t be beat for the money."

"Now a face off test:
This past Sunday I was able to do a side by side compare between the Vizio and a Panasonic TH42PD25U in my home. I know this is not a “true testâ€. The Vizio is HD and the Panny is ED but the Panny seems to be the benchmark for all Plasma is this price range.
My friend who purchased the Panny 3 weeks ago brought it over for the test, with his HD Tivo also in hand. (Yes, we are electronic geeks) Then we set his plasma up with the Avia disc to make the PQ equal.
Our plasmas are used for mainly watching sports programming so, what we wanted to look at was the PQ of the HD and SD feeds (DirecTV) on these two plasmas. Our viewing was done at 6’, 10’ and 12’. For our first test we watched a football game on Fox in SD. The Panny was just marginally better at displaying the SD game. The Vizio had a little bit of pixilation in SD, better at 10-12â€. But, it was so small a difference between the two, in fact that it could have been a toss up. The next test was the late game on ESPN HD. The Vizio was the hands down winner. The depth of the colors and the clarity is what put it in front of the Panny."

"Sure, I know that my testing is not a pure science and that if someone else conducted the same test they might see it differently. I’m also not trying to start a flame war with the Panny owners. If you like what you purchased that’s great. This is just one person opinion. You should go and see for yourself what looks better to your eyes."

"BUT, my friend took off work today, the Panny went back to BB (- restocking fee) and he is now searching for a Vizio to buy!"
Bottom line is comparisons are not really meaningful unless you compare each TV adjusted to produce the best picture it is capable of and it's usually difficult or impossible to do this in store showrooms.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #517 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 07:39 AM

Be careful when evaluating TV's side-by-side at stores. To truly evaluate an EDTV versus and HDTV you must really know what your signal source is for definitive testing and you must be able to modify your signal source for various signal inputs of 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

If the signal is 480P or 480i, an EDTV will most likely always look better than an HDTV due to the native resolution of an EDTV. You may be looking at TV's at Costco with only a 480i or 480p signal. Most likely the signal sourve is coming from a DVD player at 480p. In that case, the EDTV will most likely look better.

Now if the signal source was 780p or 1080i (which I sincerely doubt), and the HDTV is setup with 720p or 1080i resuolution, then an HDTV will most likely be better than an EDTV.

To me it's all about choices... if you want to enjoy very high resolution OTA local signals at 720p or 1080i or obtaining HDTV signal sources from cable, Dish or DirectTV , then buy an HDTV. If your primary viewing is going to be standard broadcast signals at 480i or DVD viewing at 480p, then an EDTV is a better choice than an HDTV.
post #518 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wowfactor

Before I go further, I'd be the first to admit that chances are slim that the tv's are calibrated but honestly, to my eys the Panny blew the new P42HDe away. Yes an ED blew a HD away.

Here is what I noticed: the panny had better detail (both were running off the same feed and hooked up via component), less glare, more naturalistic color, much better detail in dark areas. The superiority of the consumer panasonic was evident at one foot and evident at 10 feet. The panny picture was lively and "popped" the 42HDe did not. I found myself wanting to watch the Panny much more than the other two monitors. I just shook my head at the 5000:1 CI...made no sense to me. If the P42HDe can't be calibrated to look as good as the panny it would not be a deal at $500 below the Panny price. The qualitiy overall was not superior, it was not even close to par.

Something was wrong.

I've had a P42 for three weeks now. I've comapred it to my wife's-sister's Panny EDTV (I'll verify the Panny's mod# later today). Viewing SD I'd give the Panny a slight edge. Viewing 480i and 480p DVDs I'd give the Panny a slight edge too. DVDs upsampled to 720p, 768p and 1080i (through a cheapish Samsung 840)-no contest the Vizio wins. HDTV again easy Vizo win.

Thanks,
Twilligers
post #519 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 07:46 AM

Bottom line guys, this set can be adjusted to look as good if not better that the Panny ED (at my Costco it made the Panny look like crap, so obviously side by side comparison will differ from store to store), plus it is HD and its cheaper. Whats to argue about other than is it reliable? I have yet to hear one person complain about a problem with their Vizio. I had been researching plasmas for months before buying my Vizio, and I am more than happy with my purchase. And NO, this unit is not in my bedroom, it is my primary viewing source and I love it!

P.S. I have pictures of the box, manual and TV if inyone wants to see them for varification when looking to find one. Just let me know and I will send them to you.
post #520 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dabceb
Was the P42HDe dark gray (bezel) or silver? In the Dallas-Fort Worth area two Costco's had the older model on display. The 'e' boxes were on the floor, but none of them were displayed. Thus initially I felt the same way as you, but once I realized that I wasn't looking at an 'e' model, that changed my perceptions for now. I was on lunch break, so I didn't ask anyone about displaying the 'e' model. I'll do that today if I can.
Dabceb,

The Costco in Plano, TX on the east access road of HWY 75 and just north of Park Rd. has the dark-grey bezeled P42HDe on display.

rkhobbit
post #521 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 08:57 AM

Yes, the monitor was the dark grey "e" model and the source was that same DVD Loop I have seen at Best Buy and Costco, you know with the piece about Greece, CNET, Vegas...you've all seen it...guess it is a DVD they use for showing off all the monitors.

Now I see the light...and understand why the panny ED looked so good...so thanks to all of you for the education.

So to put it simply, the set was not calibrated to show it's colors, particularly with a non-upscaled DVD player...the panasonic would be expected to outshine with this source.

Now, since I will be converting to HD cable from Cox mabye this just confirms that the Panny ED will be better monitor for me. If I am correct the cox HD is really 480 and since I watch more cable than DVD's the Panny is a better deal and now I believe they are the exact same price at Costco.

What I am curious about is to what degree can you calibrate the Vizio to get to par with the panny on SD, 480, 720 sources.....It does sound like perhaps this is do-able which would make the vizio the better buy at the same cost.

I'm a yo-yo!
post #522 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RightHere
I'm going to try to check out the Issaquah Costco later this week. I'll PM you to let you know what I find.
I called they will be getting some in on the 6th, the Oregon stores will be getting them i on the 9th.
post #523 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Wowfactor - you are incorrect about Cox in Fairfax not offering true HD channels. You must rent a set top box from Cox ($10/month) in order to get their HD service when using the Vizio. The Cox HD is true HD and their Scientific Atlanta HD-set top boxes offer the option to output in either of two modes:

1. everything output at 1080i (that is for most HD channels including CBS-HD, NBC-HD, HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, etc. the cable box will simply pass thru this channels with their native 1080i resolution and all other channels, including the 720p format HD channels and all standard definition channels are up-scaled to 1080i for output to the TV)

2. Each HD channel is output at its native resolutions (either 1080i for CBS-HD, NBC-HD, etc -OR- 720p for ABC-HD, Fox-HD and ESPN-HD) and for std. definition channels (native at 480i) these are converted to 480p (at least when using the DVI/HDMI digital interface.

Since Cox has true HD available you would definitely benefit from the Vizio's extra resolution compared to any EDTV.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #524 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bobaphx
In other words Ron, when mounted on a wall, you have the approx. 5.5" of the TV (combination of tv/connecter box and brackets) plus wall mount bracket (2"+ probably) which puts the face of the screen approx. 7.5" to 8" minimum from the wall...
Not real pretty...
Maybe if this TV becomes more popular someone might make a wall mount that would fit the curved back and help to reduce the total depth of TV and wall mount (I hope, I hope).

Not even close.

My Vizio sits ~5.2 inches from the wall.

Don't add the connecter box depth and bracket "hold-out" as the box fits nearly flat on the wall between the vertical "arms" of the wall mount and below the mount's wall plate.

Thanks,
Twilligers
post #525 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Be careful when evaluating TV's side-by-side at stores. To truly evaluate an EDTV versus and HDTV you must really know what your signal source is for definitive testing and you must be able to modify your signal source for various signal inputs of 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

If the signal is 480P or 480i, an EDTV will most likely always look better than an HDTV due to the native resolution of an EDTV. You may be looking at TV's at Costco with only a 480i or 480p signal. Most likely the signal sourve is coming from a DVD player at 480p. In that case, the EDTV will most likely look better.

Now if the signal source was 780p or 1080i (which I sincerely doubt), and the HDTV is steup with 720p or 1080i resuolution, then an HDTV will most likely be better than an EDTV.

To me it's all about choices... if you want to enjoy very high resolution OTA local signals at 720p or 1080i, then buy an HDTV. If your primary viewing is going to be standard broadcast signals at 480i, or DVD viewing at 480p or obtaining HDTV signal sources from cable, Dish or DirectTV at 480P, then an EDTV is a better choice than an HDTV.

To me it's all about choices... if you want to enjoy very high resolution OTA local signals at 720p or 1080i, then buy an HDTV. If your primary viewing is going to be standard broadcast signals at 480i, or DVD viewing at 480p or obtaining HDTV signal sources from cable, Dish or DirectTV at 480P, then an EDTV is a better choice than an HDTV.

I live in Plano Texas.........Comcast Cable's HDTV service delivers 720p or 1080i. As I understand so do DishN and DirectTV.

Thanks,
Twilligers
post #526 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 09:59 AM

twilligers...
Is that the face of TV 5.2" from wall?
If so that is with wall mount purchased from Vizio? The VWM 02 for P series mount shown on their vinc.com web site?
Thanks
post #527 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bobaphx
twilligers...
Is that the face of TV 5.2" from wall?
If so that is with wall mount purchased from Vizio? The VWM 02 for P series mount shown on their vinc.com web site?
Thanks
I bought a Sanus VMPL2s wall mount from Best Buy.

To be more exact the 5.2 inch figure is measured from the wall to the front face of either side mounted speaker at each speaker's center. The screen itself sits a tad closer to the wall as it is recessed a bit from a plane running from speaker face to the other speaker face (maybe .333 inches). Also the top of each speaker is 5.4 inches from the wall, the center 5.2, the bottom 5.0.

I would not worry a wit about the connecter box.

Thanks,
Twilligers
post #528 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 10:38 AM

Thanks Twilligers for correcting my mistake... I re-editted my post regarding broadcast signal resolutions for cable and sat.

rkhobbit
post #529 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 10:55 AM

Twilligers...
Thank you for wall mount info. That was very helpfull and makes me feel a whole lot better about appearance/being able to mount this TV on a wall.
Bob
post #530 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks Twilligers for correcting my mistake... I re-editted my post regarding broadcast signal resolutions for cable and sat.

rkhobbit
I'm sorry that my post reads in a more terse tone than intended. All this HDTV/EDTV and who supplies what signal when stuff is fluid and confusing.

Thanks,
Twilligers
post #531 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 PM

Ok I'm pumped... my best friend's wife just called me and told me she got the new Costco mailer today (Plano, TX) and indeed there is a very significant discount offered on the Vizio P42HD starting on Jan. 17th! All I need is for my Costco manager's word to come through and tell me he'll honor the reduced price as long as I have my receipt! Now I can go get the LG LST-3510a HDTV tuner combo upconverting DVD unit I've been eyeing!
post #532 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 01:00 PM

rkhobbit: I sent you a PM

Thanks.
post #533 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 01:09 PM

We are going to go to the CostCo in Houston tomorrow and check out this unit. I wish I had received the new discount mailer from CostCo... I think our postman gives half our mail to our neighboorhood. sigh...
post #534 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 01:26 PM

Our local Costco said they would be sure to get us a coupon if we needed one. Check at the membership desk.

RKHOBBIT - quote: (Now I can go get the LG LST-3510a HDTV tuner combo upconverting DVD unit I've been eyeing!) Where pray tell can I get one of these? Did not see anything like it at costco or sam's club.
post #535 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Now if the signal source was 780p or 1080i (which I sincerely doubt), and the HDTV is setup with 720p or 1080i resuolution, then an HDTV will most likely be better than an EDTV.

To me it's all about choices... if you want to enjoy very high resolution OTA local signals at 720p or 1080i or obtaining HDTV signal sources from cable, Dish or DirectTV , then buy an HDTV. If your primary viewing is going to be standard broadcast signals at 480i or DVD viewing at 480p, then an EDTV is a better choice than an HDTV.

This post is very helpful. Thank you. Hope I can find on in the Seattle area soon to check it out.

I will also try to verify if I can get it today instead of rushing with others on the 17th.
post #536 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 01:46 PM

I would like to buy this plasma for use on my MCE 2005 machine, but I'm concerned about the rectangular pixels. Does anyone know if XP is "aware" of rectangular pixels and adjusts the aspect ratio of items on screen? meaning that since this plasma is 1024x768, will a square window look like a rectangle? it sounds like the PC desktop itself will look like a 4:3 source that has been stretched to fill the screen. that might be even more annoying that doing it to regular TV broadcasts.

I imagine that I might be able to avoid this by setting a higher horizontal resolution on the PC and letting the plasma scale it down, but I plan to use DVI and would rather not trust the scaler in an inexpensive display.

Any help would be appreciated, I did a web search for an hour or so without any luck on getting insight into using rectangular pixel displays on a PC. surely someone must have thought about this before...

thanks
post #537 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by aauxta
This post is very helpful. Thank you. Hope I can find on in the Seattle area soon to check it out.

I will also try to verify if I can get it today instead of rushing with others on the 17th.
Please let me know if you find one in a store in the Seattle area, I'll do the same.
post #538 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by poohbair
Our local Costco said they would be sure to get us a coupon if we needed one. Check at the membership desk.

RKHOBBIT - quote: (Now I can go get the LG LST-3510a HDTV tuner combo upconverting DVD unit I've been eyeing!) Where pray tell can I get one of these? Did not see anything like it at costco or sam's club.
Try CC or BB... See thread: [url]
rkhobbit
post #539 of 539 Old 01-05-2005, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
You guys have been warned about the coupon talk.

Alot of post have been edited because of this.

Now when a poster(s) goes back and inserts what was previously edited out thats crossing the line.

Thread Closed.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page