Forum Jump: 

Old 11-19-2004, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by absolutic
mfan, cool your horses:-). ... wait for at least reports from 2 people. When we buy something we often want to psychologically justify our purchase and will sometimes "overlook" problems. Safer to wait for at least 2 people's reviews:)
Ya, I know! :p

It's only because I made some money in the market and wants to buy something before I lose them! :rolleyes: This way, I'll have something to show for it, unlike during the bubble... :mad:

Actually, I just don't want to miss out on the sale and free shipping. If the Dell unit is true great for its price, then once the words get out, we probably won't see similar kind of deal for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 09:28 PM

wow, with the number of hits i can see a lot of people are itching to buy a sub 3k hd plasma...like me :) So does anyone know how the Dell HD compares to its natural nemesis (HP)?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:50 PM

I'm very tired and I will continue to post my finding as I use this unit more and more...

1. The viewing angle is fine
2. The internal tuner switches channels and blazing speed. I like this because when you are hunting for something ti is extremely annoying to wait for the signal to be converted.
3. Each input source can have customized settings.
4. The tuner allows you to FINE TUNE each channel wich really helps get a clear picture.
5. The sound out of the speaker is exellent.
6. The tv has full screen mode which always displays the picture in full screen whether its 4:3 or 16:9 which is nice.

I will be happy to answer any questions if anyone has them...

I will post a few pics of HD and SD in 10 minutes
Old 11-19-2004, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
thanks mirage, maybe post some pictures of that great fight between Ron Artest and S. Jackson with Detroit fans today? I've never seen anything like it before. Artest now is a legitimate rapper I think after punching so many fans in a matter of a 2-3 minutes:)

Never Say Never
Old 11-19-2004, 10:07 PM

Sorry guys... the camer battery needs charging... I will post something tomorrow....
Old 11-19-2004, 10:47 PM

Does the Dell emit any fan noise? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mfan
Which mall did you go to? I'll probably stop by the Valley Fair this weekend. I have a paper [a 6 letter word that I can't say] for 10% off of the Dell plasma HD. If they let me combine it with their discount price, I'm buying one right there!

This was the Valley Fair Mall.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:25 AM

No fan noise at all. I' didnt see one through the back of the unit either... I'm not sure if it exists/
Old 11-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

mirage00,

Got a quickie question: Will my 16.5"W x 2.75"H DVD recorder fit in the space between the posts on the stand?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:18 AM

the area between the posts measure 2 5/8 x 25

As Get Smart would say.... "Missed it by that much"
Old 11-20-2004, 09:55 AM

An earlier poster suggested we wait for at least 2 "review" before we pull the trigger. That's the boat I'm in. Was waiting for the Samsung HLP4674W DLP set but this Dell 42-inch plasma has my interest right now. They will both fit into my existing TV opening of the entertainment unit. The initial impression of the Dell is very good (Thanks mirage00) and I'm wondering if anyone else has one on order or en route so they can also provide some hands-on comments about this little beauty. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AcuraTL
This was the Valley Fair Mall.

There is no Dell store listed at Valley Fair Mall on the Dell Direct Store website. Can you give me some more info? I'm up in Alameda and wouldn't mind driving down to San Jose to check this puppy out. Thanks.

BFJones
Old 11-20-2004, 11:06 AM

The poster said a Kiosk - I'm going there today and I'll update.

GolferV
Old 11-20-2004, 11:33 AM

Hi mfan,
I suppose that earlier you were talking about a six-letter-word (SLW) from a mailing flyer of dell. The printed SLW code on the back of that flyer will not work with the already reduced online price. So you end up getting the coupone applied to the non-reduced price, and the result of this is a higer price than the reduced online price.
Peace!
Old 11-20-2004, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GolferV
The poster said a Kiosk - I'm going there today and I'll update.

GolferV

Cool. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Did you hook it up to HD or cable yet? Did you compare with your current TV? Also what about the aspect ratio, do images look fatter on non HD widescreen content or abnormally streached?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2004, 12:44 PM

The full screen mode is used very tastefully... You cannot really tell that the image is being stretched. I have seen other units where the faces look fat. That is not the case here. The HD signals are fantastic... ESPN in HD on this plasma is comparable with the panasonic and nec plasmas I have seen. All in all i am very happy with my purchase and have just ordered another one for my basement wall... Now that is as good of an endorsment as any.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 PM

Any feelings on the standard definition picture quality mirage? I have digital cablebut I believe it's broken down into HD channels, digital cable channels and analog channels.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:10 PM

So.......ummmmmmmm.........Mirage....... Is that camera battery charged yet? :D
Old 11-20-2004, 01:24 PM

The SD channels to me look ok.... I would say they are in line with my old CRT.... some channels come in better than others... Again, when I compare this to my friends panny dvd's looks identical through svid... SD looks the same as well... I actually like the HD on the DELL better... the colors are much more vibrant. pictures to follow some time today as soon as my wife stops with the "honey do" list...

Oh and her comment when I installed the tv... "i don't see what the big deal is, its looks the same as our old tv" "women... you can't live with em, pass the beer nuts"
Old 11-20-2004, 01:55 PM

So the brightness (420 cd/m2) is not really an issue? What type of room lighting are you setting up in?
Old 11-20-2004, 01:58 PM

Both brightness and contrast are set at 50% of max and they are fine in my den which has very large windows.. it is cloudy in NY today.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:05 PM

Excellent. I'm originally from Westchester County NY myself and I want to thank you for all your insights and assistance. Funny story about the wife: Mine keeps saying "Get a damn TV already". She just wants me to be happy, god bless her.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:19 PM

Thanks for all of the updates mirage...!

I was able to check one out at a Dell Kiosk in Springfield Mall (just south of Philly) - unfortunately, the only source they had available was a PC (connected via DVI). I did get to play with the controls a bit - very nice. I have to agree with most everyone in that the form factor is very attractive. I don't think I am going to be able to wait for another review. I am going to place my order tonight :)...
Old 11-20-2004, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
How is Dell's return policy on plasmas? are they like my local BB, 15% restocking if you return, or they are almost like Costco?

Never Say Never
Old 11-20-2004, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pittsburghpanthe
Thanks for all of the updates mirage...!

I was able to check one out at a Dell Kiosk in Springfield Mall (just south of Philly) - unfortunately, the only source they had available was a PC (connected via DVI). I did get to play with the controls a bit - very nice. I have to agree with most everyone in that the form factor is very attractive. I don't think I am going to be able to wait for another review. I am going to place my order tonight :)...
Why didn't you get it at the kiosk?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:19 PM

Well, I visited the the Valley Fair Kiosk (San Jose) with the wifeypoo. It looks AWESOME. And ... it was cheaper than I expected. I pulled the trigger (Michael Dell: Give a finder's fee to Mirage00).

Delivery is no later than Dec 8th.
Coupon was automatic.

I visited BB, CC, and GG - can't really say I saw any huge significant differences today. I'm not as good as many on this board, but this certainly takes care of me. I've been looking for 6 month.

GolferV
Old 11-20-2004, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mfan
Why didn't you get it at the kiosk?
mfan - my company gets a volume discount with Dell, so I need to process it through Dell's Quote to Order system in order to receive our company discount.

The only thing I am unsure of is whether to just go with the standard 1 year warranty or go with the 3 year.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by pittsburghpanthe
mfan - my company gets a volume discount with Dell, so I need to process it through Dell's Quote to Order system in order to receive our company discount.

The only thing I am unsure of is whether to just go with the standard 1 year warranty or go with the 3 year.
Curious if you are referring to th DELL EPP (Employee Purchase Program)? I have the same thing at work and didn't get any additional discount for the Plasma. It only applies to desktop and laptop computers.

PSN-RacerRex

CT-100 settings courtesy of Da1writer
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=745
Old 11-20-2004, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GolferV
Well, I visited the the Valley Fair Kiosk (San Jose) with the wifeypoo. It looks AWESOME. And ... it was cheaper than I expected. I pulled the trigger (Michael Dell: Give a finder's fee to Mirage00).

Delivery is no later than Dec 8th.
Coupon was automatic.

I visited BB, CC, and GG - can't really say I saw any huge significant differences today. I'm not as good as many on this board, but this certainly takes care of me. I've been looking for 6 month.

GolferV

That being said, I'm compelled to take a road trip myself. GolferV, where exactly in SJ is the Valley Fair and where in the mall is the Dell kiosk. I may be pulling the trigger tomorrow myself after close to a one year search. Thanks again and also to you Mirage00

BFJones